Duosida EVSE Just Arrived.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi jjeff the 10-in-1 adjustable EVSE is made by ZenCar. Look at my eBay listings and "Other Auctions" by this seller. Here are links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122049817194?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/122022738374?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

ON FACEBOOK:

https://www.facebook.com/EVSEProducts/

At first I thought the "shaking" thing was very questionable -- like the iPhone "shake to undo" feature. But after receiving, testing, and using this Zencar EVSE on a regular basis it is pretty fantastic. It's a "hidden" feature that does not require you to read the manual or do any button sequences. Here is a list of details on the feature:

- Changing the amperage is impossible to do unintentionally. (nearly impossible) Here's why:

- The feature to switch amperages is only available for the first minute that the EVSE has been plugged into the wall. The car (J1772) must be disconnected.

- The "shake" must be very rapid and very quick -- hard to do since the thick AC cord is 18 inches long to the 14-50R outlet. I must have tried 5 times the first time. I still can't get it to switch the first time if I haven't done it in a few weeks - I forget how quick I have to shake.

- Once one-minute has passed you are locked out of any changes until you cycle AC power. The EVSE always remembers the last setting.

- For that first minute you can switch the EVSE as many times as time allows. My unit does 10, 16, 20, 24, and 32 Amps. I leave it on 24 Amps most often, I test on a 50 Amp circuit.

Once set for your application, you never need to worry about the amperage setting changing unintentionally, and you always see the setting in the LCD readout to confirm. My favorite feature is knowing exactly how many kWh you draw from the wall after driving, making it easy to calculate cost. Also it shows your AC voltage under load so you can see how 240v can sag to 231 volts which ultimately affects your kW rate of charge. Lastly it tells you how long you charged for before charging stopped.

If anybody has any questions about EVSE, AC outlets, circuit breakers, extensions, anything -- please feel free to reach out to me via text on on this forum.

wtzouris said:
I sell these EVSE, I repair these EVSE...I have had no issues with the pins of the connector in the J1772 handle. I think maybe folks are worrying too much? I'd rather have a tight connection than a loose one. But nonetheless I will look into it...
The problem is, the connection is so tight, it is wearing out the pins in car's charge port faster than it should. And it is uncomfortable to use due to the force needed to slide the plug in. Why are the stock Yazaki plugs that come with the car are easy to plug in? Because the sockets on those plugs are designed properly, apply just the right amount of clamping force, and still can handle 50A at 80 deg C temperature rise (measured at the pins). If you are working with the manufacturer to make this EVSE perfect, this is a major issue to be fixed. Simply not attaching those circular springs make a lot of difference.

One good thing I noticed about this EVSE, the insulation on the wires inside the cable seem to handle 220 deg C soldering iron without melting. Even though 2.5mm2 is effectively 13 awg wire, it should be possible to use this plug+cable at 27A with 2013+ Leafs thanks to the insulation. But the quality control will have to be on point to catch any bad crimps.

Edit: Also make sure to ask them to use adhesive lined heat shrink tubing on the crimp spots to prevent copper degradation from moisture.

Just one correction 2.5 mm wire is pretty close to 10 Gauge:

Wire Gauge Reference Table (AWG) (Formatting gets screwed up in the cut and paste below)

https://powerwerx.com/help/wire-gauge-awg-reference-table

AWG/SWG/BWG/MM Bare Dia. (Inch) Bare Dia. (MM)

12 SWG 0.104000 2.64160

10 AWG 0.101900 2.58826

2.5 MM 0.098425 2.50000

10.5 AWG 0.096158 2.44241

10ga wire has 2.5mm diameter, but 5.26mm2 cross section area.
13 ga wire has 2.62mm2 area, close to 2.5mm2 label on the EVSE cable.
It even looks thinner to the eye than 12ga wire.

Oh yeah you are right - Still it is fine for 240 volts/16 Amps. I've been using these EVSE for over a year no issues. I make the connections (plug myself I find that improper termination at the plug is 99% of the problem. When the plugs are terminated at the factory I do not like the work -- not tight enough terminal screws, and improper stripping of the wire. So I do all the plugs myself.

http://www.stayonline.com/reference-conductor-size-comparison.aspx

2.5mm² 13 AWG N/A 25 Amps

wtzouris said:
Just one correction 2.5 mm wire is pretty close to 10 Gauge:

Wire Gauge Reference Table (AWG) (Formatting gets screwed up in the cut and paste below)

https://powerwerx.com/help/wire-gauge-awg-reference-table

AWG/SWG/BWG/MM Bare Dia. (Inch) Bare Dia. (MM)

12 SWG 0.104000 2.64160

10 AWG 0.101900 2.58826

2.5 MM 0.098425 2.50000

10.5 AWG 0.096158 2.44241
Off topic for this thread:
Thanks for that link, but it doesn't make sense to me. My Juicebox EVSE has Duosida orange cable. On the cable(which I'd assume is 10?? gauge) it says: 3x6.0mm (along with .75mm wires I'd assume were signal wires). From your chart 6.0mm would be welding cable.....no way what my orange cable is. Any idea what gauge it might be?
Oh my Juicebox also has a white Duosida end and it works great, no harder to insert in the car than any other of my EVSEs.....lastly my JB is going on 2 years old so maybe it's just the newer ones with the very tight fit.
Edit: never mind, I found a better table(or at least one that showed mm2) go down about a page for the table.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

maini said:
maini said:
I am interested in the
http://www.e-zencar.net/product/evse-32a/

6A-32A adjustable EVSE

EVSE adjustable: 6A 8A 10A 13A 16A 20A 32A
Protection class: IP54(in mated conditions)
Constant Updates Added With New Features
Work voltage: 110V~240v
Accept sample,delivery time 3-5 days.
Accept product customization

Need to see if they will put a L14-30 on as the plug.. also how long the wires are.. I have emailed them this morning..

6A-32A adjustable EVSE: Can select only 3 charging rates by shaking the EVSE!!!

1. 14-50 plug one end other end J1772
2. 16A 20A 32A only
3. 8M of total cable length. The unit price is $295/pc
4. Shipping cost UPS $66 usd.
5. Paypal payment

Total Price = $361
Did you ever order this and if so what is your opinion?
I PM'd you a month ago but not sure if you ever got the notification....
In my PM I was wondering if you got the impression adding more amp settings were possible but maybe just cost more?

maini said:
maini said:
I am interested in the

6A-32A adjustable EVSE

Need to see if they will put a L14-30 on as the plug.. also how long the wires are.. I have emailed them this morning..

2. 16A 20A 32A only
5. Paypal payment

Total Price = $361
Well I took the plunge, ordered one of those adjustable 30a EVSEs direct from the Chinese seller, Zencar. My salesperson was "Dream" who was pretty decent to work with and here are the specs I specifically wanted and got, in quotes are from seller:

"The evse box has display ,it measures voltage, current and accumulated charging power kWh.

J1772 ev plug + 13A/20A/32A evse + 8m cables + 6 - 30 plug FOB price is 300usd/pc. It has CE, TUV certification, 12 months warranty."

Express shipping from China was $64 and they said I should have it no later than 8 days. I was nicked a $16.40 "PayPal fee" but I just wasn't sure if giving my CC # directly to a Chinese merchant(even though they seemed legitimate in every respect) was a good idea....
So a total of $380.40 shipped to my door for a 30a EVSE with a 8m(~25') cable and ability to limit current to 13a(for a 15 circuit) 20a(slightly overloading a 20a circuit but OK for shorter duration(an hour or so) 20a use) and finally 30a(they said max output with the L6-30 that I wanted could only be 30a) which should give me 27.5a on my '13 Leaf, plugged into a proper circuit.
I'll fill you in on how it works once I've gotten it and played with it for a while, no other portable 30a EVSE in this price range, the closest would probably be the $399 wall mount GE(only 18' cord) which IMO is way too bulky to carry around or maybe the $500 Juicebox basic that you cannot limit the charging current or $600 Juicebox you can limit charging current but your need to use your cell phone or lastly for ~$600 you could get a ClipperCreek that you couldn't limit charge current and only works on L2(240v). No for <$400 this seems a real versatile nicely priced EVSE, hope it works well :)

Base unit I ordered, note you don't get all the charging currents listed, I picked the (3) I most wanted and I believe I got a longer cord than is normal, I think 5m(~15') is standard unless you specify.

jjeff said:
maini said:
maini said:
I am interested in the

6A-32A adjustable EVSE

2. 16A 20A 32A only
5. Paypal payment

Total Price = $361
In my PM I was wondering if you got the impression adding more amp settings were possible but maybe just cost more?

Sorry never got to ordering it as I just don't really have the need for it yet. I am told slow charging helps keep my battery in a better shape

maini said:
jjeff said:
maini said:

2. 16A 20A 32A only
5. Paypal payment

Total Price = $361

Sorry never got to ordering it as I just don't really have the need for it yet. I am told slow charging helps keep my battery in a better shape
No problem, I ordered one and it's been working great, really nice to charge at 27.5a and portable and under $400 is all the better :cool:
Ordering from China was a bit trying but I ended up with 16a, 20a and 30a, not sure if they could have done more settings or how much it would have cost but after about the 10th email back and forth I just decided to order it and not ask more questions.

i have a Duosida for sale 16A charger with 25f cable and 6-20 plug, brand new. Any one interested. Please make an offer.

@centuryhome - have sent you a PM about the charger - please contact me. my email is my forum usrname at gmail.com or PM me here. thanks!

Kind of a bummer that they didn't include 24a in the possible list of settings. I would want 16a, 24a, and 32a for 20a, 30a, and 40a breakers. For 120v operation does it use the same three choices, or are they different? 12a, 16a, and 24a would make sense for 120v.

davewill said:
Kind of a bummer that they didn't include 24a in the possible list of settings. I would want 16a, 24a, and 32a for 20a, 30a, and 40a breakers. For 120v operation does it use the same three choices, or are they different? 12a, 16a, and 24a would make sense for 120v.
You can specify what settings might want and yes they are the same for 120v as 240v.
Mine I had setup for 12a mainly for 15a 120v circuits, 20a for either 120v or 240v 20a short term use and 30a(actually maxes out at 27.5a) for short term 120v(TT-30) and 240v use.
The list of possible settings are: 6A 8A 10A 13A 16A 20A 32A and again setting are for either 120v or 240v, not sure of the maximum number of settings but I got 3 and another person here on MNL got 4 and I thought?? 24a was one of the settings he got, maybe I'm wrong, hopefully he will see this post and respond.

I'm the guy jjeff mentioned. I ordered mine with 12A, 20A, 24A, and 32A settings and can confirm that's what is programmed into the EVSE. I was told I could pick (4) amperage settings in the range from 6A to 32A, but the values have to be even.

alozzy said:
I'm the guy jjeff mentioned. I ordered mine with 12A, 20A, 24A, and 32A settings and can confirm that's what is programmed into the EVSE. I was told I could pick (4) amperage settings in the range from 6A to 32A, but the values have to be even.
Yes you were the "guy" :lol: I couldn't think of your name while composing the above message.
Interesting they specified you could pick 4, I didn't really ask how many and selected 3 and thats what they did for me. Also the amp settings from their website I quoted above "(6A 8A 10A 13A 16A 20A 32A)" they must have changed things as it has specific amperage settings and has the 13a which is a odd number :? And note to anyone, the actual measured amp draw is ~1a less than listed, that is a setting of 20a will actually draw ~19a, 13a will draw 12a and so on, probably somewhat a safety measure.
Oh and note, contrary to what I said in my above post, mine has the 13a setting(not 12a) but again a setting of 13a will draw 12a actual.

You can verify the settings using Nick Sayer's Simulator II. It reads the pilot and reports the current, frequency, and duty cycle. I verified the default 8A and the optional 12A on my Mercedes B EV Lear L1 EVSE. It was spot on. OpenEVSE's are correct in current but the frequency is 998 HZ instead of 1000HZ. It falls within tolerance though.

alozzy said:
In that case, it seems best to choose 12a, 16a, 24a, and 32a to match 15a, 20a, 30a, and 40a breakers respectively.

Agreed, in retrospect I should have selected 16A instead of 20A. In my case, I don't think I'll ever use the 20A setting. My use case is home charging at full rate (240V/27.5A) as well as charging at RV parks at either full rate (240V/27.5A, if 14-50R is available), at 120V/24A (if only TT-30R is available), or at 120V/12A (if only 5-15R is available). It's unlikely that I would charge at 20A for anything, but I figured that in the unlikely event that an RV park electrical box was getting too hot, I could drop down the amperage to 20A

I'm not sure J1172 allows for anything over 12 amps at 120 volts. Maybe I misunderstood this. I know my Juicebox won't allow for higher than 12 amps at 120 volts regardless of what you select and the way I understood it from Juicebox is that is a J1772 restriction. Not an expert here.

Back