Which Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astevens16

I'm looking at a couple of 2013s, and I'm not sure which would be the better buy (on paper, at least). I'm in New York, but there aren't many Leafs around, so I'm looking in neighboring MA and CT. I'm giving two serious consideration at the moment.

One at a MA dealer is an SV with QC. Built in December 2013, first sold in Feb 2014, so the capacity warranty should go to early 2019. It has 24k miles, but those were spent in Georgia. 12 capacity bars. Listed at 9k.

The one at a CT dealer is an SL. Also build in December 2013, first sold in Jan 2014. Has a lot more miles at 43,500, but those were all up here in the Northeast. 12 capacity bars. Listed at $9400 (though they've already dropped it to $9200 when I asked if there's an internet price).

I know these are more expensive than a lot of you are finding, but it seems like that's what 2013 SVs are going for in my neck of the woods. (I definitely want as SV with the QC.) I guess my main question is whether it would be better to have the lower mileage with a southern battery, or higher mileage with a northern battery. Or doesn't it matter, if they're both still at 12 bars? Are there other things I should consider? Any thoughts on how low you think I can talk them each down, given the market areas? I don't want to totally low ball and have them laugh me out.

One thing to note is that I can't take a run down and look at them, because they're each 2-3 hours away from me. So I'd like to have a pretty good idea of which I'd like (or neither?) before I go look at one. I might be able to find someone to check out the CT one for me, but I don't know anyone out MA way. (I'll just note that it also really sucks that CT and MA both have ridiculous dealer fees they tack on.) I can post links to the two listings, if it would help (not sure if that's allowed). Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm rather new to Leaf shopping, so if there's any other advice, I'd welcome it!

Both could be good value. Both could be disasters. Sorry, but you don't know enough.

The best advice is to wait for something local. It WILL show up eventually. When you have the car in front on you, use Leaf Spy software on your smart phone and an ELM324 adapter to judge the battery health.

Another potential problem with all used cars, whether private sale or on dealer's lots, is the history. Was it in an accident and repaired? You need to be in person to know.

Bob

If you are willing to buy a car from CT, then these guys seem to have a few 2013 SVs:

https://www.napolimotors.com/inventory?view=grid&compare=true&vins=1N4AZ0CP4DC407221|1N4AZ0CPXDC409037|1N4AZ0CPXDC403612

I would do a VIN check on any car you are considering, to find out in which state it was originally sold in. Also, ask them for a LeafSpy screenshot as some dealers will provide that. You want to know the SOH (ideally over 90%) and AHr values (ideally over 60) as a minimum.

I personally don't care much about the mileage, it's all about the health of the battery. I wouldn't buy if I had any doubts about the battery condition, or if a dealership wouldn't provide a LeafSpy screenshot. I don't think I'd buy sight unseen anyways, as I'd want to verify the LeafSpy values myself.

You might want to join this Facebook Leaf owner's group in NYC too:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/353255401366866/

Wouldn't hurt to let them know you are looking for a Leaf...

You could pick the car you prefer, drive to it, measure the capacity with LeafSpy, and if it's adequate, buy it on the spot. If not, then you've lost 6 hours but not gotten an actual 11 bar car by buying long distance. Do you need 12 bars for range? I always tell people that if they can't test a pack, to assume one less bar than is showing.

If I had to GUESS (and it is just an educated guess) I'd say that the Northeast car with more miles will have more capacity left. Why? because the Summer of 2013 was brutal up here, with 19+ days over 90F. A car built late that Fall would have missed the worst of the three Summers we've had. A car in Georgia would see that kind of heat almost every year.

Thank you all for your advice! I wouldn't confirm a purchase without actually going to see it, but it'd be good to get as much info as I can beforehand, to reduce the chance that I'll get there and decide I don't want it. I'll see if any of these dealers will get me a LeafSpy screenshot. I kind of doubt it with these two, but you never know!

Back