Buttons below driver's vent on dash?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have to agree with the person that the left button has to do with regen. it doesnt make sense to have two EV options next to traction option.

my Zenn has nothing to protect the plug other than a little rubber cover. unlike my Prius which many used to take great offense, my Zenn is still consider a "cute little curiosity"

planet4ever said:
I'm a bit disappointed at needing to push a button to open the e-hatch. I had imagined one of those latches that you push on and it pops free.

We don't really need a locking "gas cap" cover, you know. I mean, like, no one's going to be able to siphon electrons out, or pour in sugar to gum up the carburetor!
You are not thinking that answer of why there is a lock on the cover. Hmm it is on the front of the car and opens up towards the windshield if it did not lock it would blow open at 60miles per and brake off. Now if it open down toward the ground then no lock would be needed.

Buttons on the Leaf:
leaf_buttons.jpg

Traction control button on a Corvette:
the_sports_car_world_cup_comparison_test_2006_chevrolet_corvette_z06_traction_control_on_off_button_image_0011_cd_gallery.jpg

From a 2009 Nissan Cube manual:
cube_vdc.jpg

Still think it's not traction control?

I prefer to keep others out of the "guts" of my cars.
I vote FOR the lock.

However, there should be some way to deal with access to and starting of the car even if the 12v battery is discharged, or "expired".

garygid said:
I vote FOR the lock.

However, there should be some way to deal with access to and starting of the car even if the 12v battery is discharged, or "expired".
Well, sure. All you have to do is hook a normal 12V charger up to the aux battery ... somehow ... and you are back in business. I don't know how your gen 3 Prius works, but I do hope "somehow" isn't as convoluted as it is on our gen 2 Prius. (pull the emergency key out of the "smartkey" fob, open door, pop hood, figure out the secret push-press-pry manipulations to get the triangular cover off the fuse box, find and pop up cover on positive contact, locate a ground somewhere you can clip to)

planet4ever said:
garygid said:
I vote FOR the lock.

Well, sure. All you have to do is hook a normal 12V charger up to the aux battery ... somehow ... and you are back in business. I don't know how your gen 3 Prius works, but I do hope "somehow" isn't as convoluted as it is on our gen 2 Prius. (pull the emergency key out of the "smartkey" fob, open door, pop hood, figure out the secret push-press-pry manipulations to get the triangular cover off the fuse box, find and pop up cover on positive contact, locate a ground somewhere you can clip to)

i have both gen 2 and 3 Pri's and despite what they want u to do, i jump both by the back battery connects. i also found the front connect difficult and that is saying a lot since when the battery is dead only the manual hatch release works which means crawling into the back from the front to open it. not easy, but have done it 3 times, twice in the 2006 and once in the 2010 (now dont think these batts die frequently. both incidences on the 2006 was human error, the 2010; well we dont know)

1- What's the Bluetooth for? (logo below screen)

2- I think the image of the 3 light grey stylish buttons at the begining of the thread are from a prototype version (the ones with the nice light grey center compartment instead of the more cheap/standard looking dark cup holders), but on the models with the cup holders there appears to be 2 rows of 3 dark buttons (unfortunately not as good looking imo), so 6 buttons. I cant find an image now though but Im pretty sure I saw this.

What is the blue "zero emissions" button in the lower right corner for? On another thread someone said that retracted the main panel for access to the CD slot and USB port, but I am dubious. Why?

1. Why would you label the sound system button "Zero Emissions"? Not only is there no logical connection, but the sound system is the one thing you WANT to emit.
2. If the main panel retracts, how do you access the control buttons like "Fast forward" etc. which are on that panel?
3. If the USB port is behind the panel, then your flash drive or other USB device is going block the panel from popping back into place and you won't have GPS, etc. while driving.
4. There was no authority given for the opinion that is what it was for.

So I'm back to my original questions + 1. Where is the CD slot? Where is the USB port? What is the "zero Emissions" button for?

IceRaven said:
1- What's the Bluetooth for? (logo below screen)
From the features and specifications page of the Nissan website:
Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System
Rat said:
So I'm back to my original questions + 1. Where is the CD slot? Where is the USB port? What is the "zero Emissions" button for?
I would say panel opening is definitely how it works for CD - check out the photo at http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1006_2011_nissan_leaf_japanese_spec_drive/photo_12.html. There is an Open/Tilt button below and to the right of the display.

As to your other two questions, I can only guess right now. My guess would be that the USB port is down where the ebrake switch is - but that is totally a guess, not based on any actual information. The Zero Emissions button probably jumps you straight to one of the screens displaying energy usage. Or maybe it just pops up a screen saying "hey, isn't it great that this car has zero emissions?" :D

1. Normally ... the screen can hinge up or down, then retract or not (often not), to expose the CD (and possibly a DVD slot), just for loading and unloading. For use, the screen swings back into place.

2. The "zero emissions" looks more like a logo than a button.

3. Bluetooth usually connects to a bluetooth-capable cell phone to "pretend" to be a microphone and headphone for hands-free phone usage. Many phones also support other functions over the BT link, like downloading their contact list into the car. The implementation in the 2010 Prius works quite well, although some functions are disabled while in motion.

Does the LEAF have any Voice-Input commands for Nav, Destination, Phone, etc.?

What are all the buttons on the steering wheel?

Buttons on the wheel appear to be Left - controls for audio system Right - controls for cruise control (though the picture below is from the proto not the pre-production.

buttons_left.jpg

buttons_right.jpg

My guess for the USB/iPod interface would be what looks to be a covered dohickey on the front right of the console

USB.jpg

What is that in the right cup holder, possibly a USB device?

The 2010 Prius has an "activate voice command" button conveniently located on the steering wheel, and a good variety of useful voice commands.

One can actually enter an "address" type destination, speaking the city, street name, and street number.

However one cannot speak, or spell, an actual POI destination name, like "Acapulco Resturant". One can say "Mexican" to get a "nearby" Mexican Resturant short listing, but it is rarely useful, apparently because "nearby" is a very limited-range function, possibly only one or two miles, and can be in any direction.

I wonder which of those 8 "buttons" (two white; six black) will turn OFF the *&^%$#@! Vehicle Sound for Pedestrians. Whichever it is, Nissan will need to make it extra strong to survive innumerable jabs: my prediction is that most Leaf owners will push that sucker each and every time they get in the car.

leaf_8buttons.jpg

I will be adding a logic circuit that contacts that switch every time I turn on the key so I never have to touch it.

EVDRIVER said:
I will be adding a logic circuit that contacts that switch every time I turn on the key so I never have to touch it.

Unless it is a software button on the screen. Like the one for "watch the road not this navigation system when driving - Ok to agree" button.

Until the sound is MANDATED by law, I will discreetly clip the wire running to the speaker. Or wire my own on/off switch. I refuse to turn it off each time I get in the car. :twisted:

EVDRIVER said:
But how do you plan to turn on the key? I don't think there is a key.

[I know, you meant "every time I push the Power button". I'm just giving you a bad time.]

Back