LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed, thanks for the link. That's the best looking prediction that I've seen yet. If >200 mi EPA and <$35K that should sell as fast as they can make them.

2011RedLeaf said:
I really don't understand their logic on a short time between displaying the car & having it available.

This car has literally been ready for what must be at least 18 months now. If not the final decisions on things like pack sizes, then certainly the exterior and interior design work. Probably the mechanical side of things too. So I'm guessing that it's not really a short time in Nissan's mind.

If anything I'd say it's a dig on Tesla.

Nissan will show the new Leaf and shortly release it to market while there is still excitement about it. Lots of people excited about the model 3, yes, but it's also old news now.

Is that a rendering or a picture. Just looking at the background and it kinda looks real. I really like it. Hope they are available in Coolis Red.

2018-Nissan-Leaf-Carscoops-2.jpg

Not in that color, though. Red or dark blue for me, depending on the shades available. Although I should probably consider Brilliant Silver again, if there is no battery cooling. They should do silver with more black accents.

I hope they have a more creamy champagne color like my Q45. I like my pearl white but the color my Q is, is way better.

I think a lot of buyers would be happy with the New leaf if it resembles the rendering.
Conversions from tesla model 3 type happy.
Must have good 0-60 though.
Gotta say I'm looking forward to some real scoot in my next EV. Had a leaf then an i3 and it was fun .
Next one has to have range and power and be stylish. I'm not willing to compromise any longer.
Guessing a lot of early EV adopters feel the same , explains why they drop 75 to 140k on a tesla
I could do maybe 80 k but I'd rather not.
I'll take stylish sporty exterior much like the render, nicer seats with more bolster, better handling, a 0-60 time less than 7 sec and decent pro pilot.

If it looks like that, is available in Coulis Red and has a 150 mile or better range I'd be in. Looks nice. Hope its available in top trim without leather. I'd pay 35 for that over a Tesla 3 if it had the same range. 200 miles (really about twice what we need though)

Given that Nissan seems to be reusing a substantial part of the existing Leaf, and wants to compete on price to compensate for a lot of older tech and less range, I'm concerned now that they may not put a newer, more powerful motor in it. They might instead tweak the output of the existing unit to get 0-60 times to about nine seconds even. (They could call it "Mildly excited mode.") That would be a bummer, but even that improvement, if combined with a great price, would suffice for me .

OTOH, I'm used to the interior I have. ;-)

I'm a little bit indifferent to more power. I'm satisfied with the performance of the leaf for what it is now. I would much rather see 60kW of regen, but I wouldn't complain about more power. I also hope that Nissan continues with the creep feature, it makes the car feel so natural to drive.

Can I be permitted a dream? That they pop two of the 80kW motors in the Leaf, go AWD with 60 kW of regen. My Leaf is so terrible in the snow. AWD and good tires would make it a dream.

Reddy said:
Ed, thanks for the link. That's the best looking prediction that I've seen yet...
Looks too much like an ICEV to me, but that seems to be what the market wants.

="Reddy"
...If >200 mi EPA and <$35K that should sell as fast as they can make them.
I woudn't count on that.

Nissan has emphasized value over range in most of its announcements, so I think >125 EPA miles for < $30 k is what we can expect for the base model, likely with only incremental capacity improvements over the current "30 kWh" Pack.

It does look slightly longer and lower than the gen one to reduce aero resistance, and could be both lighter (as suggested below) and have improved drivetrain efficiency.

"Close to 200 miles" might mean only 40-45 kWh available from an optional larger pack, but it is possible Nissan will go for the extra CARB credits available from an even larger compliance pack.

Nissan's next-gen Leaf on deck

...Some styling cues of the test mule are similar to those of the first generation, including the side profile and hatch.

On the technical side, the critical change will be improving the driving range of the Leaf’s lithium ion battery, which currently claims an EPA-rated equivalent of 114 mpg combined city and highway on a full battery charge.

The car is also expected to be lighter because of increased use of carbon fiber.

Nissan has signaled that the redesigned Leaf will have a range of close to 200 miles.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170328/OEM04/170329847/nissans-next-gen-leaf-on-deck

edatoakrun said:
[
I woudn't count on that.

Nissan has emphasized value over range in most of its announcements, so I think >125 EPA miles for < $30 k is what we can expect for the base model,

Considering that when Chevy announced the Bolt and the primary stats were the range and pricing and Nissan said they will beat the Bolt, I would expect that they will deliver same or better range for same or less money than the Bolt. True, there will likely be lower range products at even lower price points. But I suspect the premium version will beat the Bolt on range and price. If some don't want that amount of range, then they can save some dough.

So the base model might start at the level you suggest. But the top model would still need Bolt range plus a mile for Bolt pricing less a $. They could deviate from that, but then there will be a bunch of bad press over how they didn't deliver on their promise. The other value proposition such as more space, better performance or handling, more comfortable seats won't factor into the assessment of whether they beat the Bolt as they had claimed.

I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF gen two ProPilot dash looks a lot like that in the advanced prototype in the video below:

edatoakrun said:
Point-to-Point demo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfRqNAhAe6c
Autonomous Vehicles, LEAF and others...
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10233&start=260

No source for the 40 kWh reported below, but the photo indicates Nissan will probably stick with Chademo:

Has a 40 kWh battery and Chademo charging connector...
http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/nissan-leaf-allgemeines/neuer-leaf-40kwh-gesichtet-t22872.html

NavyCuda said:
LeftieBiker said:
My Leaf is so terrible in the snow.

Most of us have found the car to be good in snow, with good or at least decent snow tires on all wheels. Do you have snows?

No, which is a major factor I know.
My LEAF and RWD Model S weren't very good in snow with regular tires. I have a long, steep, curved driveway so it is quite difficult when snowpacked or icy. After this crazy warm, wet winter here I finally got tired of using chains and put snow tires on the Model S at the end of January (Michelin XIce3) and the difference was amazing! Those tires stuck to snow and ice like glue. Before snow tires I wanted to trade my car in to get a dual drive S or Model 3. Now I am happy with RWD and no longer feel the need for AWD despite driving steep (14% grade) mountain hairpin turns every time I leave home.

Put good snows on your LEAF and you will completely change your view of its handling in snow. Modern snow tires are remarkable.

My 2¢.

The Gen2 LEAF has a whole new dash, and will have new instrument and center stack clusters.

edatoakrun said:
I wouldn't be surprised if the LEAF gen two ProPilot dash looks a lot like that in the advanced prototype in the video below:

edatoakrun said:
Point-to-Point demo:

No source for the 40 kWh reported below, but the photo indicates Nissan will probably stick with Chademo:

Has a 40 kWh battery and Chademo charging connector...
http://www.goingelectric.de/forum/nissan-leaf-allgemeines/neuer-leaf-40kwh-gesichtet-t22872.html

OrientExpress said:
The Gen2 LEAF has a whole new dash, and will have new instrument and center stack clusters.

edatoakrun said:

edatoakrun said:
Point-to-Point demo:

So, are you are saying the video above shows ~the gen two whole new dash...new instrument and center stack clusters or not?

If so, how will we survive without the tree displays on the dash...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back