Any other 6 year owners out there?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6 years, 3 months.
I think my LEAF came in on that first boat with mwalsh's.
It's been my wife's daily driver since I upgraded to Tesla.
Really, very happy with the car; battery weakness excluded.
~46k miles, I replaced a failed wiper motor at 32k and a set of tires; that's it.
9 bars, which isn't too bad for sunny SoCal but we're looking forward to a Model 3 soon-ish. 40-50 miles range is just starting to become a problem. Still have one oil-burner on the street which I hope to get rid of soon.

We are at 6 years here in Washington State. 60K miles and 2 bars down. I've replaced the tires and the 12V battery. That's been pretty much it for repairs.

Wow, in some cases only 35 miles of range left ?? -- that barely would have made it during moderate weather for me on my last job (30 R/T commute); being forced to drive my ICE trip car would have reversed roles for what the LEAF was supposed to be, my daily work and weekend errands commuter. My '12 SL lasted 5 years, 46K miles, down 1 and close to 2 battery bars ... simply could no longer cut it for the Midwest winters along with a longer 44 mile R/T work commute. Also, in just the 4 months since I traded it, saw that the values on these keeps dropping (heard a recent '12 with only 25K miles fetched $4,500 on a trade-in on a new Tesla) --- no regrets on my interim EV '15 e-Golf as I needed to do an unplanned 90 mile multi-segment work related trip last week (had no time to go home to get the ICE so took a shot) and it still had 20 miles in reserve when I came home -- not even possible when the LEAF was new; their GOM's would always be way too optimistic. Don't get me wrong, it served its purpose well but the drastic reduction in range (as well as value, along with other 'commuter' range EV's) can easily discourage even the most ardent supporters. I wonder how low the values will get on these depleted range ones or how much further they'll drop at say 7 years?

Approaching 6 years and over 53k miles...got a new (warranty) battery per my sig.
Really love the car and have no plans to replace it. We have my wife's ICE car for road trips.

Hello,
6 years 2 months and 59k miles here in finally sunny PDX, 2 bars down SOH 77% @ 50.89 AH and 19mv of cell variation at 30 GIDs. 60 mile range although the GOM shows 81 @ full charge. Have been very happy with my Leaf. Daily driver with a 25 mile commute. Free charging at work now so this baby will last until I retire. New tires last year and had to repair the electric E-brake assy, not Nissan's fault I got rear ended.

That's pretty amazing for a 2011 Leaf with 60K and only 2 bars down on that original battery!

How do you charge the vehicle -- 80% or 100%, and how often per week? On L1 charger only? No QC's?
Pls share/offer some suggestions! ;-)

Nazanne said:
We are at 6 years here in Washington State. 60K miles and 2 bars down. I've replaced the tires and the 12V battery. That's been pretty much it for repairs.

Washington State has a climate not too much unlike Japan's. It's the kind of climate for which the Leaf was built. Ignoring, of course, the question "Why did they build it for cool climates only - and then sell it everywhere???"

6 years on May 31st. 26000mi., 10 bars. The last three years in Hilo HI. PV system powers leaf. I have done nothing to car in 6 years other than wiper blades and cabin filter. Tires look great it gets me anywhere I want to go here on the windward side of the island of Hawaii.

We are two weeks shy of 6 years of LEAF ownership, with 67K miles and 10 capacity bars (~49 Ah last time I checked).

We still use the LEAF for a lot of our local driving, up in the San Bernardino Mountains of SoCal. The car is still good for 50 mile round trips to the east side of the Big Bear area, where we occasionally go for outdoor activities and most recently a star party.

The limited regen is probably the biggest downside of ownership at this point, and the 12V battery has been a problem. We're on our second 12V battery, and I have to put it on a charger every week or two to keep it alive.

Until last September, we were using the LEAF for a good fraction of our regional driving, relying on public L2 and CHAdeMO chargers around SoCal. Then we purchased a pre-owned Tesla Model S, which we now drive everywhere beyond the LEAF's single charge range. Besides regional trips, we've taken the Model S on two separate camping trips, to Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks on the first trip and to Death Valley National Park on the second trip. The Supercharger network is great, and we love driving the Tesla long distances.

I imagine we'll keep the LEAF as long as it functions. It's great as a second car, and we don't have to worry about getting it dirty, etc.

Just about 6 years, 69K in Phx AZ.

Only problems,

Battery Capacity
Fog Light Cracked due to rock hit
12V Battery Died, but replaced under warranty
Recently had a problem with one headlight and it needed to be replaced (covered by extended warranty)

I plan to keep my LEAF for 10+ years

Coming up on 6 years in June.

Biggest problem is the 8-bar (almost 7-bar) battery.

Other minor issues:
The clear-coat on the spoiler is oxidizing. Needs repainting.
The plastic on the solar panel is yellowing.
The clear-coat on the headlights is also showing signs of UV damage - the protective coat on it has hairline scratches in it and is starting to get hazy.

Didn't really expect to see this kind of sun damage at 5-years (started noticing this around the 5-year mark). But then it does sit out in the sun all day during the work-week.

myleaf said:
Just about 6 years, 69K in Phx AZ.

Only problems,

Battery Capacity
Fog Light Cracked due to rock hit
12V Battery Died, but replaced under warranty
Recently had a problem with one headlight and it needed to be replaced (covered by extended warranty)

I plan to keep my LEAF for 10+ years

A LEAF still running after 6 years in Phoenix makes my only question; How many traction batteries have you gone thru?

LEAF #225 hit 6 years this past January with nary a glimpse in the rear-view mirror as it just kept rolling along.. New tires and wiper blades have been the only maintenance issues in 51,000 miles, though I wouldn't doubt that I'll lose my third bar sometime this year. Then again, my daily commute has dropped from 35 miles to 10 miles, so I'm not exactly piling on the miles...

Passed 6 years on May 6th. 138,121 miles, second set of tires, original 12V battery. Replaced the traction battery, climate control fan and inserted a diode in pilot line of the on-board charger. Should replace the shocks. It has a Brusa so L2 charging is ~6kW. That makes a huge difference in usability for my needs!

myleaf said:
To answer the question regarding how many traction batteries I went through.
I am on the second replacement battery.
Meaning the car is running on its 3rd battery ?

It does turn out I've got something else to kvetch about - paint fade, especially in the last 12-18 months. I had my rear spoiler repainted because the clear coat was going bad, and the paint shop (who are normally pretty good) complained that they couldn't get the paint to match. Now I don't know if they didn't really try or what, but you can clearly see that the spoiler matches pretty well to the door jambs, while the rest of the exterior paint has faded and yellowed quite a bit (it actually looks more distinctive than the picture is able to capture).

Img_0529_zpsqipgovew.jpg

I just reached six years. I also just lost my second bar on my first battery. I only have about 26,000 miles on the Leaf, even though it's my main vehicle. I'm retired and just don't need to drive much. It's really been a great car for me. My biggest complaint is the sound system. I suppose I could get better speakers installed, but I don't spend enough time in the car for that to be an issue, and I listen to audiobooks more often than music anyway, so it just isn't important.

Back