The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leased a 2017 S w/ Charge Package, floor/cargo mats, and cargo cover.

VPP: Yes
Term/Mileage: 36 months, 12k/year
State : CA
Leaf Trim, options : S w/ Charge Package, floor/cargo mats, and cargo cover.
MSRP : $33,815
Down payment : $2000 drive off (includes tax, title, first mo payment, etc)
Monthly payment : $99 + tax
Residual: $9,130

I purchased a 2013 SL last week. 15,500 miles, 12 capacity bars, manufactured in August, lived out its initial lease in Massachusetts. No Premium package, but it's super nice!

Bought a 2014 S with charge package. 14,400 miles, 12 bars, and around 88% remaining capacity according to leaf spy.

Really surprised by how much I enjoy driving it. This isn't advertised enough. Reminds me of a civic, only quieter. Only car of similar size that I enjoyed driving more was a jetta turbo.

I have a 42 mile daily commute and free charging at work. It's perfect for me.

Only problem is my wife now likes it too!!!

Personally, I think the used market is what's going to take the EV market mainstream. The math on a <$10k car that doesn't need gas or fluid maintenance is pretty compelling. Everyone in my office is now scouring autotrader every day contemplating a new leaf. Once people start realizing how nice the ride is, and get over their range anxiety it will take off.

I'm also not worried about capacity degradation. The '11s and '12s got the shaft, but I don't think it will be unreasonable to pay $3K-4K (optimistically assuming the cost of replacement comes down in the next 3 years) for a new battery. It's not the same as replacing an engine on a gasser. The thermal expansion and contraction on a normal combustion engine means the fits will always be less than ideal, resulting in fatigue, premature wear, stress on other components, engine noise, etc... With the leaf, you replace the battery and the car runs perfectly. The '11s and '12s still ride like brand new in spite of the battery issues. Replace their batteries with a lizard battery and you have a car that runs like it did the day you bought it. What other 7 year old car can you say that about?

Ran into a Leaf owner a few weeks ago. I had no idea used Leaf's are sweet deals. That encounter lead to a 2014 SV CPO with Premium Package. 8,717 miles, 100% SOH according to LeafSpy for $9,800 plus tax. Telematics also upgraded.

The sales guy suggested I meet their Leaf Tech, reading my geek enthusiasm for the Leaf. The tech said there are lots of improvements to the 14's. He said there is little he's had to do the Leafs. He recommended a yearly caliper service (I'm in NE Ohio) and have the car aligned once a year too. Change the break fluid every few years and to trickle charge the battery one a month and change the cabin air filter as recommended. He also said to avoid lots of charging to 100% when you are still pretty full. Work the battery if possible.

Now an ICE cars seems barbaric when I drive it. Would like to get another 7-10 years out of our 07 Prius. By then longer range EV's make it feasible not to own an ICE car ever again.

This seems like a good place to start posting. Hi everybody. I'm new to this board, but not to car specific forums. I was a Saab 9-2x owner until last week. I was actively involved in the online community of that car's cult following. It's nice to see another car specific forum with knowledgeable members.

Saturday I picked up my first Leaf, a CPO 2014 SL in Pearl White with 35k miles, 12 battery bars and premium package for $10,900.

I have a charging station I can use at work, but I also just ran a 220v outlet to the garage for a Siemens Versicharge that I installed yesterday.

So far, I love this car. Coming from a bare-bones wagon made in 2004, I'm still amazed by the level of comfort and tech in this car.

Any other Columbus Ohio Leaf drivers on the board?

Congrats on the deal! What's the history of the car? Warm climate or moderate? Youj can get the history from carfax or for free via your dealer. How long is your commute? Living in a climate season, you may experience range drops by ~30% during the cold months. Good pick on the EVSE as well as we have the same one and enjoy the built in delay timer feature. Research the Leafspy app for detailed metrics on your battery.

Phatcat73 said:
Congrats on the deal! What's the history of the car? Warm climate or moderate? Youj can get the history from carfax or for free via your dealer. How long is your commute? Living in a climate season, you may experience range drops by ~30% during the cold months. Good pick on the EVSE as well as we have the same one and enjoy the built in delay timer feature. Research the Leafspy app for detailed metrics on your battery.

So, the car was in GA for the first 2 years, and then was owned for about a year by one of the sales managers at Germain Nissan where I purchased it. I'm in Bexley (Columbus) Ohio, and my commute is 7 miles round trip. I also have access to an L2 charger at work, so I can fill up there as needed during the week, and fill up at home on the weekends.

With my last car, I was averaging about 6000mi a year, and we did a lot more running around for errands in my car than my wife's. Now if we do a trip to Cincinnati or somewhere else, we'll take her ICE Focus.

I'll have to check out that app, sounds like it can give good info. The dealer agreed to repaint the scuffed up bumper, and also split the cost of the TCU upgrade so that only cost me 100 bucks. Inside, the car looks new. It was nicely detailed. I love the leather, and I was able to use the heated steering wheel and seat on a chilly day.

If it's this car then it came from Illinois originally:

http://www.starnissan.com/inventory/used-2014-nissan-leaf-s-fwd-4dr-car-1n4az0cp2ec331810

EDIT: Sorry @pyromancy5, I was obviously typing while you were and by the time I posted, you had already posted back

alozzy said:
If it's this car then it came from Illinois originally:

http://www.starnissan.com/inventory/used-2014-nissan-leaf-s-fwd-4dr-car-1n4az0cp2ec331810

EDIT: Sorry @pyromancy5, I was obviously typing while you were and by the time I posted, you had already posted back

NP. Mine is an SL :D 10,900 for an S with almost as many miles, there's some "room to work" with that dealer...

Happy to report I can finally post in this thread! Last night I bought a 2013 (manufactured in 11/2013) Leaf S with the quick charge package, and 28k miles on the clock, for $7,100.

Overall it's in great shape, there are a few small scratches and I think one of the TPMS sensors is malfunctioning, but other than that it's great. The battery is in good health according to a Nissan battery report. My OBDII dongle will be here today so I'll get more granular leafspy data this evening. And I'll be installing my Leviton 40A level 2 charger this weekend.

I'll probably wait to fix the TPMS sensor and replace it when I get new tires, but in the mean time, is there a way to trick the computer to get rid of the TPMS warning? I despise TPMS systems and would love to just disable it if possible.

Anyways, this thing is great to drive! I'm loving it so far.

Enjoy the car. Don't rely on the dealer battery report for any indication of battery health, though. It's worth far less than the capacity indicator on the dashboard.

Yeah the report seemed pretty worthless. Other than the 5 stars it didn't provide much of any information. I suppose I took a bit of a gamble pulling the trigger before my OBDII dongle gets here, but this car was the best deal I've seen for the three months I've been watching the market on a daily basis.

Purchased my used 2013 SV this weekend (August 2013 build), 12 bars but SOH is at 86% so I'm thinking I'll be losing a bar soon. Has the 6.6kw charger but no quick charge, which should be fine for where we live... no QCs available.

I (perhaps stupidly) drove it home the 200 miles, so let's just say it was a --long-- journey home, with charging (and napping) stops. Can't say that I'd do that again, but it was an adventure and I met a lot of nice folks along the way. EV owners are a kind & generous bunch!

Now to figure out how the Guessometer actually works. I call it the Stress-o-meter for now... highway speeds sure did take a bite out of the range, so I learned to slow down and take my time.

pmc said:
Purchased my used 2013 SV this weekend (August 2013 build), 12 bars but SOH is at 86% so I'm thinking I'll be losing a bar soon. Has the 6.6kw charger but no quick charge, which should be fine for where we live... no QCs available.

I (perhaps stupidly) drove it home the 200 miles, so let's just say it was a --long-- journey home, with charging (and napping) stops. Can't say that I'd do that again, but it was an adventure and I met a lot of nice folks along the way. EV owners are a kind & generous bunch!

Now to figure out how the Guessometer actually works. I call it the Stress-o-meter for now... highway speeds sure did take a bite out of the range, so I learned to slow down and take my time.
Be sure to print yourself a copy of Tony Williams' range charts, for your level of degradation: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=4295

You should probably opt for the 82% chart for the 24kWh battery, as that will be a bit conservative for you: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sfufez3dcdvrvu9/LEAFrangeChartVersion7G82.pdf?dl=0

or you could use the 93% chart if you want to push things, as you've still got all 12 bars: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wczgxhs5e91i7og/LEAFrangeChartVersion7G93.pdf?dl=0

Just make sure you print the English rather than metric version!

For a more accurate estimate, press the blue button on the left side of the steering wheel. A map will appear on the Nav screen, with two concentric circles, and two range estimates. The higher one is from the GOM, but the lower one is usually pretty accurate.

pmc said:
I call it the Stress-o-meter for now... highway speeds sure did take a bite out of the range, so I learned to slow down and take my time.
Stress-o-meter! LOL! That's a good one.

Nice job on slowing down and trading speed for range!

LeftieBiker said:
For a more accurate estimate, press the blue button on the left side of the steering wheel. A map will appear on the Nav screen, with two concentric circles, and two range estimates. The higher one is from the GOM, but the lower one is usually pretty accurate.

Thank you! I was looking for this info in the forums but had trouble re-locating it.

Thanks also GRA... I have seen the charts and need to print one out.

Back