NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aminorjourney said:
Well,

Add me to the list... Me and our 2013 LEAF SL

Last monday, we came downstairs to a flat LEAF which, after jump starting, behaved itself until yesterday morning -- when it did the same thing.

This time the battery was flat as a pancake and started throwing errors every time it was charged.

I initially thought "maybe it's the plugless power system?" we've had on loan but after using the J1772 plug for the past day and a half it's still throwing the EV warning light every time I plug in.

Using LEAFSpy Pro, I'm getting P3131 00C0 EV/HEV System Shutoff Timeout EVC-220 every time .

Our TCU was replaced in late January for a 3G unit if memory serves correctly...

Now if I may, I'm going to add my twopennothworth.

I know our LEAF has sat in the garage for some time of late, and I also know that the 12-volt battery is not fully charged (I've had a battery tender sitting on it for the past day and it's still not showing up as fully charged) so I do wonder if there's some credence in the 12-Volt battery issue.

My car IS entering its fourth year and yes, I suppose there could be an issue with the 12-volt battery. I also know that there's an issue with that darned relay sticking (which I really should check) as well as a potential TCU issue.

I'll reset the carwings credentials tomorrow and call the helpline. I'll also Check the voltage of the battery, as yesterday when I was checking it the thing seemed to fluctuate quite wildly.

Why does the 12-volt battery thing sound familiar? Well, I also own a 2002 RAV4 EV, and those were notorious about throwing weird error messages and just being a royal PITA if the 12-volt battery system wasn't working as it should. (http://www.evnut.com/rav_faq_owner.htm#auxok) Replace the 12-Volt battery and voila! everything gets fixed.

Given that my LEAF's 12-volt battery is still not full, I suspect this may be part of the issue. But I also think something's going on with the TCU.

I had the EV warning light and the same DTC as you two days in a row about a month after getting the TCU replaced. CarWings had been working fine until it stopped sending charge complete messages and set the trouble codes. I let the car sit for a few days during an out of town trip and came home to a completely dead 12-volt battery. I jump started the car and ran a few errands to give the battery a chance to charge. The plug in reminder and charge complete messages started working again and the DTCs have not come back so it appears that the dead 12-volt battery reset the TCU. It has now been 2 months since the dead battery episode and there have been no more issues.

Well, here's an update for me:

I had continued issues with the 12-volt battery and while it showed up as okay on a battery tester, I took a punt and replaced the 12-volt battery for a Optima Yellow Top.

It all seems okay now :)

I'm also having intermittent connectivity issues.

My problem with the battery "theory" is that my car is a 2015 and only 18 months old. My ICE car batteries easily got 5 - 7 years. Is there a reason that I've missed as to why Leaf's would be devouring their 12v batteries so quickly?

DoobeeDude said:
My problem with the battery "theory" is that my car is a 2015 and only 18 months old. My ICE car batteries easily got 5 - 7 years. Is there a reason that I've missed as to why Leaf's would be devouring their 12v batteries so quickly?
The 12 volt charging algorithm is crap.

Search http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&p=472464 for sulfate. Some discussion at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=22752 and a bunch of other threads.

DoobeeDude said:

Par for the course. I have no 12v battery issues (I've had a LiFePO4 in my car for a couple of years now), and a week ago I had no connectivity for days. Now it's been ok (charging updates/app/everything) for several days in a row...which is good since I like to monitor my car while out-of-town. Having said all that, there's no "clock" on 12v batteries--and depending on climate (you don't have a location in your profile)--they can go bad in a flash.

DoobeeDude said:

There are multiple, long threads about the poor charging cycle the Leaf uses for the 12 volt battery. Some have no issues, others need to regularly use a battery maintainer. I would suggest regularly checking the cell levels on the battery (every few months) and top them off with distilled water, as needed.

The age of the battery is not a good indicator of health. Some are defective from the start, and climate can have a big effect on battery life. The 12 volt battery in my sisters Sentra was replaced under warranty before it was three years old. The original battery is still in my Leaf, and working well at over four years old.

aminorjourney said:

I had continued issues with the 12-volt battery and while it showed up as okay on a battery tester, I took a punt and replaced the 12-volt battery for a Optima Yellow Top.

Awesome news and good to know. What is the model # for the optima battery you fitted? Its only a question of time before my 5 1/2 year old 12v battery takes a dump.

The correct size Yellow top Optima battery is 51R for direct fit replacement. The low internal resistance of the Optima works well with the Leaf charging system (I had one in the 2011 which I would have kept if the insurance company storage yard would have allowed.). I will be purchasing one for the 2015 as soon as the original gets weak, but it seems to be OK for now even after being deeply discharged.

JPWhite said:
aminorjourney said:

Awesome news and good to know. What is the model # for the optima battery you fitted? Its only a question of time before my 5 1/2 year old 12v battery takes a dump.

The Optima Yellow Top for a Leaf is the D51R. It has a 36 month free replacement warranty. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013ZGZ9Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_29?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Other options are the Duracell 51R from Sam's Club for $104, also with a 36 month free replacement warranty. Or the Duracell Gold 51R from Batteries Plus for $132 (10% discount-buy online-pickup in store) with a 36 month free replacement and 65 month pro-rated warranty.

Hello all,

As with pricdx01's case, I can send charge/climate control commands but do not receive that status back. Even when the car is charging, the status for plugged-in and charging is not updated. All else works - some of the time - like updating driving records, receiving navigation feeds, seeing the charge level of the battery, etc.

This tells me that the radio itself is connecting, transmitting and receiving data but something with those status bits are not being reflected in the app/web. Total guess: their database is screwed up and hasn't matched the new radio ID with my status records.

On the reported dead 12V battery - something that's also happened to me recently - my guess is that the radio tries to connect to Nissan but fails. It continues to try, keeping the TCU and status components in the car active until it drains the battery flat. More than once I've had 12V battery issues while at the same time the telematics system is unreachable.

Regards,
JR

After a month of working after disconnecting the 12V battery, I could no longer use the app (or site, or custom Python script) but was still getting messages from the car about charging being complete and could update stations. I left it that way for another month or so and finally decided to do something about it. I don't know which thing fixed it, but I pulled fuse 34 for 15 seconds or so and then reset all my Carwings settings in the car. Still had all my history and settings in the unit unlike after the 12V pull. Now it seems to be working fine. If it happens again I'll try just resetting my settings and logging in again first, then try the fuse pull if that doesn't work.

magico13 said:
After a month of working after disconnecting the 12V battery, I could no longer use the app (or site, or custom Python script) but was still getting messages from the car about charging being complete and could update stations. I left it that way for another month or so and finally decided to do something about it. I don't know which thing fixed it, but I pulled fuse 34 for 15 seconds or so and then reset all my Carwings settings in the car. Still had all my history and settings in the unit unlike after the 12V pull. Now it seems to be working fine. If it happens again I'll try just resetting my settings and logging in again first, then try the fuse pull if that doesn't work.

Any news since this? I have the same situation...out seems to work but can't use app or custom script anymore. Going to try the fuse tonight.

Edit (4/2/2017 7:50PM CDT): Pulled fuse 34 (Audio 20AMP fuse) in the block by the 12volt battery, and all is working now. Will update if it stops again.

cmgj said:
Edit (4/2/2017 7:50PM CDT): Pulled fuse 34 (Audio 20AMP fuse) in the block by the 12volt battery, and all is working now. Will update if it stops again.

I really think this is it; as long as the TCU modem was installed properly (at the dealer), I don't think the sign in/out or adding/deleting account stuff matters. It was alluded to a few weeks back, but I think there is some sort of "time out" problem and unless it "reboots" itself (which I believe happens eventually--as in weeks), the only option is to force it.

cmgj said:
Any news since this? I have the same situation...out seems to work but can't use app or custom script anymore. Going to try the fuse tonight.

Still been working flawlessly since I pulled the fuse a week ago. The app and my Python script haven't had any issues. The Leaf Manager app seems to require me to press the login button each time or it gives a 401 error, but otherwise it works fine and so does everything else. Looks like it just needed to be turned off and then back on again.

Ok so, I thought I'd add onto this thread instead of starting a new one, although in searching I can't seem to find the same sort of connection problem I'm having.

I purchased a 2013 SV the beginning of March. I signed up/registered with the Nissan Owner's Portal, and when I would go to the EV Connect tab, it would give me the error message about needing the hardware upgrade.

No problem, so I make an appointment with the Leaf Certified tech, and upgrade to the 3G unit. They hand me the receipt with the Nissan EV phone number, tell me to call in a couple hours & get it activated.

That was March 27... long story short, it's still not working, but instead of getting the hardware upgrade message, the owner's portal presents me with the terms & conditions, but won't let me "accept". Every time I click "Accept", it says "We were unable to complete your request" and tells me to call Nissan.

The phone support, while very friendly, basically has told me to just wait, that the system on their end needs to be tweaked so that it knows I've accepted the terms, or the car will think I'm not in the system and won't connect. This kind of jibes with what I see in the vehicle, because when I type in the PIN & password on the sign-in screen, the computer lady tells me "to use Carwings you need to have an account".

Anyone else seen this? Anything more I can do from my end, or am I at the mercy of tech support?

alozzy said:
I wouldn't decline the agreement and re-enroll, as there's a growing group of owners who did that and now we can't get past the step where one accepts the "NissanConnect EV Consent" and the "NissanConnect EV Subscription Agreement" legal crap and then click Accept. After clicking on the Accept button, we get a message as follows:

"Attention: we were unable to complete your request. Please contact EV Customer Support at (877) NO GAS EV (or 877-664-2738). When we call Nissan at that number, they just give us the run around.

This sounds closest to my scenario, and the symptoms I'm seeing... but I'm new to Carwings, didn't have an account before the switch to 3G.

How did you & others with this problem resolve it? Just waited for Nissan to fix it on their end?

(Crickets...)

Nobody, huh?
Well, update, I ran put of patience, & the car is back at the dealer. They gave me a loaner while they slog through the troubleshooting with Nissan EV tech.

cwerdna said:
To followup on my post at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=489376#p489376...
VitaminJ said:
nissanleaftechSD said:
The problem is that the TCU units are going into standby permanently. When I check the history data on them, they typically have been in standby for 2 weeks already.
Unfortunately we cannot tell customers to disconnect their batteries once in awhile as the permanent fix. Haha.
I have found that I can reset the TCU just by going into Carwings settings and "deleting all Carwings settings," then logging in with the ID and PW again, no reset needed. That has helped a few people in this thread and on facebook that I've talked to.
Unfortunately, this reset didn't help me. Car still cannot log in.

Nissan EV support still hasn't called me back to confirm the activation is ok or not on their end. Waiting for answer from them before my car goes back to the service dept.

update: I disconnected negative terminal of the 12 volt for over 30 minutes. Once reconnected, I did the above reset again, for good measure. No improvement. Still can't sign in w/the (Nissan provided) NissanConnect EV PIN and password from the "Please print these instructions..." page.
Nissan EV support never called me back, as they said they would.

I ended up having to call them. They basically said that the unit can't communicate w/Nissan so (IIRC), they claim it can't be activated. They insisted the B02 error indicates a (wire) connectivity problem and that it'll have to go back to the dealer.

I hope to make a dealer appointment for next week.

I must admit I'm baffled.
I did the "fuse pull" a couple of weeks ago and it restored all CW functions except Charge Complete/Stopped messages. I get all other messages...including all communication with the web and mobile app. Yes: all messages are turned "on" in the car.

+1 to issues with new telematics module.

I'm in a 2011 Leaf and following the telematics "upgrade" I noticed right away that I could not log in. I see the car icon with a signal-strength-type-indicator that makes me think the module is activated. I use the username(PIN) and password from the website and I consistently get "the connection to the center failed"

I have tried the fuse trick, didn't seem to help.

Without reading through 60+ pages I suppose my next options are to call Nissan or make another service appointment?

Back