The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I picked up a certified pre owned 2016 Leaf S with 197 miles on the odometer from a dealership in Florida with all options except the trunk organizer and cargo cover for 15k. I would say that's a decent price for a brand new leaf, car was a fleet vehicle for the dealership, plastic was still on the radio bezel. My wife is enjoying driving it and it's a pretty cool car, wish I had one for myself too!

I just bought a white 2017 Leaf S in Southern California. So far so good installed a Siemens EVSE in the garage. I am enjoying it so far, but I never knew how rude other drivers are to electric vehicles..

kindred said:
I just bought a white 2017 Leaf S in Southern California. So far so good installed a Siemens EVSE in the garage. I am enjoying it so far, but I never knew how rude other drivers are to electric vehicles..

Congrats. What did you pay for it?

kindred said:

I think they're just jealous! :p

Hello, I just bought a new to me 2013 Gray SL on 4/15/17. I've been reading here since last week (thanks all for sharing!) and I made a shortlist of the Leafs I wanted to check out here in Southern California. I pulled the trigger as soon as I inspected this car, which I had to drive 70 miles for (had to quick charge at a Nissan dealership on my way back home with the car). I paid $7,999, a bit extra compared to my other options but I wanted to have the quick charge, leather, nav, and nicer wheels. 36k miles, single owner who leased it for 2 years. Only negative, but probably considered in the price, is the 10/12 battery capacity. It was manufactured on 2/13 so probably the older tech batteries, but purchase in 2014 so hopefully buys me some time for the battery capacity warranty. We plan to use this for local commutes for getting the kids to school and their activities and running our local business so we really only need a 40-50 mile range EV. Just 1 day in and so far the family's loving it, these cars are pretty good deals for our needs!

irv said:
Hello, I just bought a new to me 2013 Gray SL on 4/15/17. I've been reading here since last week (thanks all for sharing!) and I made a shortlist of the Leafs I wanted to check out here in Southern California. I pulled the trigger as soon as I inspected this car, which I had to drive 70 miles for (had to quick charge at a Nissan dealership on my way back home with the car). I paid $7,999, a bit extra compared to my other options but I wanted to have the quick charge, leather, nav, and nicer wheels. 36k miles, single owner who leased it for 2 years. Only negative, but probably considered in the price, is the 10/12 battery capacity. It was manufactured on 2/13 so probably the older tech batteries, but purchase in 2014 so hopefully buys me some time for the battery capacity warranty. We plan to use this for local commutes for getting the kids to school and their activities and running our local business so we really only need a 40-50 mile range EV.
Welcome!

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

So... when was the original in-service date? If it really was in 2014, the car sat on the lot for a long time, for some reason. Yeah, being down 2 capacity bars is not a huge surprise for that build month.

cwerdna said:
So... when was the original in-service date? If it really was in 2014, the car sat on the lot for a long time, for some reason. Yeah, being down 2 capacity bars is not a huge surprise for that build month.

In-service was 04/2014, and car sat in Hawaii weather for a while. Reason might be the almost $35k MSRP for the SL or the color (seems like not a lot of these colors around, maybe people don't like it dark?). This plus the older battery tech are probably why this car is 10/12 and had one less capacity bar (and relatively lower price) compared to the others on my shortlist that had similar mileage and model year. If I get lucky this could help me get the battery warrantied, if not then maybe the $8k + battery replacement down the road still won't be too bad a deal.

irv said:
This plus the older battery tech are probably why this car is 10/12 and had one less capacity bar (and relatively lower price) compared to the others on my shortlist that had similar mileage and model year.

... by relatively lower price, I meant compared to the other 2013 SLs in my list. This one was at least $1k cheaper and was actually in the price range of quick charge SVs.

Bought a new 2017 Leaf SV on Earth Day. Sticker was 35,758, but after the Duke Energy $10,000 credit and trade-in, we were out the door for $15,000. As a Tesla owner for 3 years, I'm not new to EVs, but have to say I am loving the Leaf!

LoLRick said:
As a Tesla owner for 3 years, I'm not new to EVs, but have to say I am loving the Leaf!

Welcome to the Leaf family! I'm glad to hear that you can appreciate what the Leaf offers having previously owned a Tesla. That says a lot.

LoLRick said:
Bought a new 2017 Leaf SV on Earth Day. Sticker was 35,758, but after the Duke Energy $10,000 credit and trade-in, we were out the door for $15,000. As a Tesla owner for 3 years, I'm not new to EVs, but have to say I am loving the Leaf!

I would love to hear your reasons of going from a Tesla to a Leaf.

swhang said:
LoLRick said:

I think he/she has both. Once model 3 comes out, I'll have both as well. :)

Yay! My "new" leaf was delivered yesterday - Base 2015 Red SV. I think only extra might be mud flaps? 17.800 miles and off-lease. Paid $11.500 + taxes I bought it on auction so sight unseen.
I took my chances as it was the best price I could find.

The listing showed it was in NJ. It turns out the car was originally registered in GA! Argh! A much warmer state!. It still shows 12 bars. I might figure out LeafPro (for tire pressure monitor) later.

The car has unmatched wheels - 3 original Michelin and one off-brand el-cheapo(?) "OHTSU" tire. It also has some scratches on that rim. It seems someone hit a curb too hard! I was aware of small scratches from the listing, and overall it's in much better condition than I thought.

I've never driven with unmatched tires before. Should I be concerned?

Other than that the car drives great (after bumping tire pressure to 42). It's a perfect (family) city car. Easily fits my two kids. Peppy around red lights and more than enough oomph for easy lane changes. Excellent visibility and surprisingly high off the ground. I'm 6.3" and fit well in the car even if it could have some more leg support or seat angle. Much better than a 2006 Prius.

I like the leaf more than the 2011 Hyundai Genesis V8 that it replaces (for the city driving I now do). Better acceleration in 0-35 mph. Much better off the line. Love that it, like a go-cart, has a wheel in each corner. That makes it feel nimble on messy Boston/Cambridge/Somerville streets.

oh! Nissan Connect SV user "ZachsLeaf," if you're reading this - I got your car! Hope you took good care of it (it looks like it)! Love it so far!

/Robert

swhang said:
LoLRick said:

The Leaf did not replace the Tesla. It replaced a 2012 Honda Pilot. We live too far out in the Suburbs for the 24kWh Leaf to be practical, but the extra range of the 30kWh does the trick. We have 2 reservations for the Model 3 and had planned to wait for it, but the Duke Energy deal and deteriorating condition of the Pilot combined made us go ahead and get the Leaf now. We're thrilled to be 100% electric. I'm not sure what will happen to the Leaf when the 3 comes. We might just keep it as a spare.

New 2017 S here in Portland, OR. First EV, was looking at used 2013-2014 SV's but came across a lease deal for a 2017 S w/ quick charge package for 1,200 dn (inc. first month) and 159 mo x 23 more payments on a 2 yr 12k lease. Figured when the lease is over I may buy into the next gen Leaf or who knows. Since my electricity is about $.08, it is cheaper overall than my old monthly gas expense. So far so good, and I am glad it has the 30kw battery!

Picked up my 2014 Leaf a few weeks ago (bought if from my brother who is upgrading to a Renault Zoe - longer range which he needs to get to his holiday home). Here in New Zealand virtually all Leafs are Japanese imports, and you pay from NZ$10,000 for a 2011 Gen 1 with average mileage to up to NZ$25,000 for a 2014-2015 Gen 2 with low mileage . I paid NZ$19,000 for a 2014 with 9000 km.

I have to say I love the car - just cant get over the quietness and smooth acceleration. For the first couple of weeks I only drove in Eco mode and tried to get the maximum range (varies from 140km to 160 km with a mix of motorway and town driving). Now I just drive it - mostly in Drive (much more enjoyable). I have the 8amp charger with 240V power at home so charging takes 8-12 hours depending on battery state.

I just bought the OBD2 thingy and have downloaded the instructions to activate it. Hope I can make it work (I'm a bit of a tech novice). Very keen to find out what state my battery is in.

Just got my 2012 Leaf SL delivered from Carvana last night. Unfortunately, they forgot the charger! I picked up a lease turn in with 38,000 miles for $7500. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, so please be patient with me.

Thanks,
Julian

Juliansleaf said:
Just got my 2012 Leaf SL delivered from Carvana last night. Unfortunately, they forgot the charger! I picked up a lease turn in with 38,000 miles for $7500. I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions, so please be patient with me.

Thanks,
Julian

Of course you mean the charge cable - the charger is in the trunk, underneath the plastic hump.

Do you have another option to charge in the meantime? That's a pretty critical part for an electric car, especially for a new owner. Not so bad if you already have a 240V EVSE in your garage, but still.

If you have questions, ask away. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum.

Back