2013 33k+ mile 12 bar?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hyperionmark said:
I suppose this isn't impossible, but should I be skeptical of any 2013 that has 33k+ miles on it showing 12 bars?

It depends on the climate it has been in, and when it was manufactured. Models built from 4/13 forward have a better battery chemistry. Residing in a moderate or cool climate will result in slower degradation.

Use LeafSpy to read the battery stats. A new battery shows around 64Ahr. Multiply the SOH% by 64, and it should be close to the Ahr reading shown by LeafSpy. Take it for a test drive. Use 25% of the charge level (try to keep speeds 55mph or below), then note the miles driven. Multiply the miles driven by four. The result should come close to the SOH% multiplied by 84 (the EPA range of a new Leaf). If you get 75 or higher, the battery is in decent shape. If you get 60 or lower, then suspect a possible BMS reset.

hyperionmark said:
I suppose this isn't impossible, but should I be skeptical of any 2013 that has 33k+ miles on it showing 12 bars?

Co-worker has a 2013 with 34500 miles, 59 Ah, SOH 91%, 4 QCs 920 L1/L2s, as of a few months ago, but likely hasn't changed much, weather has been cool to cold.

This is the cool wet coastal Northwest.

hyperionmark said:

Not really, i.e. @47K my '13 (production - 9/13 delivery 12/1) with ~ 51 Ahrs (@SOC = 100%) has 12.

hyperionmark said:
This particular vehicle was owned in Georgia. (as is seemingly every vehicle in my area)

Pretty easy to understand why.

Any state with high EV specific taxes (like Georgia) has ZERO used EV resale value. Cars from EV tax states go to auction and get sold to states with normal registration costs.

Look at Mannheim auctions and look at where the EVs come from, then check that states EV tax rate.

Basically zero EVs get sold used in Georgia , my guess as more states move to tax you will see the trend expand

baustin said:
hyperionmark said:

It depends on the climate it has been in, and when it was manufactured. Models built from 4/13 forward have a better battery chemistry. Residing in a moderate or cool climate will result in slower degradation.
Yep. My 5/2013 built used '13 that I bought in July 2015 had all 12 bars when I bought it w/under 24K miles. I'm near 43K miles now and still have all 12. I'm inching closer to losing a bar though.

Stats as of last night:
AHr: 56.62
SOH: 86%
Hx: 84.66%
odo: 42,936

There was a '13 that was in the Pacific Northwest that didn't lose a CB until 70K miles. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=490376#p490376 has a pointer to a PNW car that lost its first bar at 89K miles. He was down 2 bars at 116K miles.

Since I'm not in a cool climate (I'm in a hotter part of the SF Bay Area, not mild like the city of SF, Pacifica or Half Moon Bay), I expect I'll lose a bar before this summer's over.

There's got to be some benefit of putting up with so much rain in the PNW :D

When I purchased my Leaf in January, LeafSpy reported these values:

AHr: 62.91
SOH: 96
Hx: 96.72
odo: 47,583

We drive a lot of miles on our Leaf, we've already passed 50,000 miles now (almost 81K km). I don't recall the exact current values (I try not to check too often, just diminishes my enjoyment of the car), but SOH is around 94 now, HX dropped a bit too, as did AHr - but not by much - single digit % for sure.

My sister recently imported a Leaf from Seattle too:

AHr: 62.70
SOH: 95
Hx: 101.32 (weird)
odo: 25,322

Both cars were first sold in Washington state, both had one prior owner, and both spent all their time within WA.

Climate really makes a huge difference.

rmay635703 said:
hyperionmark said:
Any state with high EV specific taxes (like Georgia) has ZERO used EV resale value.

Basically zero EVs get sold used in Georgia , my guess as more states move to tax you will see the trend expand

I understand what you're trying to say, but there is a solid used car market for used Leafs in Georgia. Not 100%, but solid nonetheless. Many of us have bought used because it is a decent buy once the "vig" is taken off.

hyperionmark said:
I returned my with 39k miles, all 12 bars in tact. Infact no appreciable range decline (didn't measure AHr etc).

Back