Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DaveinOlyWA said:
well first off, its an EVSE, not a charger and if so, what brand are you getting and how will it interface with your home?

I don't understand the distinction between the EVSE and a charger and a simple google search didn't answer my question. I'll continue to research. I don't remember the brand either but it had a plug that fits the 220V socket in my garage. Not sure if that necessarily makes it a level 2. I'll tell you more after i get the car this week.

PedroGonzales said:
I don't understand the distinction between the EVSE and a charger and a simple google search didn't answer my question.
The Leaf has a built in charger - usually 6.6 kw. The EVSE (electric vehicle supply equipment) is a smart cord which connects AC current to the vehicle.

PedroGonzales said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
well first off, its an EVSE, not a charger and if so, what brand are you getting and how will it interface with your home?

I don't understand the distinction between the EVSE and a charger and a simple google search didn't answer my question. I'll continue to research. I don't remember the brand either but it had a plug that fits the 220V socket in my garage. Not sure if that necessarily makes it a level 2. I'll tell you more after i get the car this week.

well minor distinction really but the EVSE does not provide power that the car can use. it has to be converted to DC so that is the charger's job which is in the LEAF itself.

So in the wild; L2 stations are EVSEs that provide AC power your car needs to convert to DC with its charger to store in the battery. Fast Chargers or Chademo's are chargers because they provide DC power that is directly stored into the battery.

Thanks for the info guys.
I just realized I've hijacked the thread away from its original purpose. Mods, please feel free to delete / move if needed.

My numbers on Friday (3/24/17), also for a 2017 SV but with 12,000 miles per year, as follows:

• $2800 down (drive-off, all included, no surprises),
  • $140/month (=$129+8.25% tax) * 35 months
  • $10,5xx residual from 0.3 * MSRP of $35,xxx
  • Non-VPP; no floor mats or cargo cover (=$400-500!)
Discounts were roughly as follows:
  • Dealer took $8,000 off MSRP
  • Nissan took $4,000 off of that, plus the $7,500 "FTC"
Plus, looking forward to
  • State rebate
  • PG&E rebate ($500)

This was from Antioch Nissan, not one of your bigger or most EV-friendly dealers (no DCFC in spite of a great location and plenty of space), but the closest to home. I got the deal by asking if they could beat a quote that I received from Boardwalk in Redwood City. I only gave them the monthly ($129) that I was looking for and asked them for the smallest down payment they could come up with. They beat Boardwalk's offer by $250, so I went with them. Sale went very smoothly, and I may have successfully pressured a few of the right people to [ talk to and convince the right person to ] put in a quick charger.

LOVE the SV -- after "managing" with a lowly ;-) S for the past three years. And amazingly, my monthly payment dropped by 33%, even though I have a much newer car, a better model, and 25% more battery capacity/range! I don't know if I screwed up in 2014 :shock: or if the deals are just that much better now, in these months before the 2018's debut.

4angles said:
Following up on SF bay area lease deals -

Sunday we leased a 2017 SV for 36 months, including 15,000 miles/ year for $2400 down and $180.74/month. Numbers include our 8.0% tax.
I initially set the deal up with Richard Sam, Internet sales manager at the Autocom Oakland Nissan dealer. On Sunday Richard handed us off to Ray Abad. We were treated well by both. I talked to a number of other dealers who could not or would not match the deal. I was hoping a closer dealer could save us the 100 mile round trip to Oakland but they did not.

The deal relied on a VPP incentive as part of the capitalized cost reduction. I don't know what portion of the cap reduction was VPP, but the total reduction was $11,470 off the agreed value.

future:
disposition fee - 395
residual value - 10,353

Window sticker showed:
MSRP - $34,200
Options - $ 635
Dest. - $ 865

total - $35,700

Not sure if anyone reads this but I was pricing new leafs in the Los Angeles area and wanted to see if these prices are decent. For a 2017 SV I was Quoted 27700 out the door. This includes all taxes fees etc. I have 9% sales tax so that's a killer. MSRP on this one is 35709 and it came out to 24699 after their discount and Nissan discount. They also offered me 0% for 5 or 6 years. So they offered it at about 11k under MSRP. I'd get the entire $7500 back from the fed and $2500 from California. I am intrigued by a new one since i will know the history and it will only cost me about 17k after all is said and done.

That sounds pretty good (11k off MSRP).
In Colorado (Denver and Fort Collins areas), we are seeing 10k off MSRP without any discussion on 2017 S models (and ~12k off MSRP based on being an Xcel customer for any new model).
Just some data points from here. Hope that helps.
thanks

RonSwanson said:
... I am intrigued by a new one since i will know the history and it will only cost me about 17k after all is said and done.
What do you think about leasing for $90 a month? After the 3 year lease you'll be able to buy a much better car that has driverless capability.
https://plus.google.com/u/1/+DanielCardenas/posts/LiWEGHUeegK

EVftw said:
https://ngtnews.com/nissan-leaf-program-wisconsin-extends-incentive-offers

More data points.

Great deal. If I could get 10k MSRP off a 2017 SV, I would jump on it. I keep seeing this reference for "Fighting Chance car buying method". Is that the "email your terms to all local dealers" method?

hackdroot said:
EVftw said:

More data points.

Great deal. If I could get 10k MSRP off a 2017 SV, I would jump on it. I keep seeing this reference for "Fighting Chance car buying method". Is that the "email your terms to all local dealers" method?

Be careful of what you wish because you may just get it. :lol:

I got mine $10K off MSRP with a Nissan fleetail incentive.
Last week while I was visiting the dealership to have my NissanConnect activated, my salesman told me that if I find anyone who is interested to buy a Nissan Leaf 2017, they will offer the same deal.
Basically they will give you $10K off MSRP like they did to me.
So naturally, the next question is, will you take a bite?

I also noticed that they had new delivery of Leaf 2017 that they had to park them in every nook and cranny they could find on their already cramped huge lot. I saw white, red, blue, gray ones. There may be more that I didn't see elsewhere on the lot.

Nissan is dumping their 2017 model because of the upcoming 2018 model. So bargain hard and I think you will get a better deal than mine.

My deal in short:
-Nissan Leaf 2017 SV with 3 options: cargo cover (a must have), floor + cargo mats, splash guards.
-$35755 MSRP - $10k Nissan incentive
-0% down, 2.75% interest for 84 months (7 years). I took a loan from my bank at slightly higher rate for convenience sake. I will pay off the car in 2 years anyway.
-Federal tax credit (next year) $7500. I will qualify for the maximum credit.
-California State Rebate $2500
-PG&E Rebate $500
-ChargePoint Rebate for enrolling in the EV-B program with PG&E for 12 months - $400 (subject to availability)

The most expensive cost beside the car is the purchase of ChargePoint EVSE and professional installation for a new 40Amp circuit and an outlet.
$675 for the ChargPoint Home 32Amps with plug + 25' cord and $1075 for the installation.

One of the many pleasures of owning the EV and the smart EVSE, I can tell how much charging my Leaf to full capacity costs me.
Last night, it cost me $0.72 for charging for +1 hours starting at 11pm (cheapest rate) from about 75-80% battery capacity.
On top of reducing the rate significantly during off-peak hours, PG&E seems to also give monthly rebate.
Last month I got $18 rebate on my energy bill.
Compared that to my sedan. On average I spend $7.50/day on workdays. About $30 every 4 days. About $250/month.

If you are interested to take a plunge, I can give you the salesman name and phone number.

LEAF2017 said:
hackdroot said:
EVftw said:

More data points.

Last week while I was visiting the dealership to have my NissanConnect activated, my salesman told me that if I find anyone who is interested to buy a Nissan Leaf 2017, they will offer the same deal.

I also noticed that they had new delivery of Leaf 2017 that they had to park them in every nook and cranny they could find on their already cramped huge lot. I saw white, red, blue, gray ones. There may be more that I didn't see elsewhere on the lot.

Nissan is dumping their 2017 model because of the upcoming 2018 model. So bargain hard and I think you will get a better deal than mine.

My deal in short:
-Nissan Leaf 2017 SV with 3 options: cargo cover (a must have), floor + cargo mats, splash guards.
-0% down, 2.75% interest for 84 months (7 years). I took a loan from my bank at slightly higher rate for convenience sake. I will pay off the car in 2 years anyway.
-PG&E Rebate $500
-ChargePoint Rebate for enrolling in the EV-B program with PG&E for 12 months - $400 (subject to availability)

The most expensive cost beside the car is the purchase of ChargePoint EVSE and professional installation for a new 40Amp circuit and an outlet.
$675 for the ChargPoint Home 32Amps with plug + 25' cord and $1075 for the installation.

One of the many pleasures of owning the EV and the smart EVSE, I can tell how much charging my Leaf to full capacity costs me.
Last night, it cost me $0.72 for charging for +1 hours starting at 11pm (cheapest rate) from about 75-80% battery capacity.
On top of reducing the rate significantly during off-peak hours, PG&E seems to also give monthly rebate.
Compared that to my sedan. On average I spend $7.50/day on workdays. About $30 every 4 days. About $250/month.

If you are interested to take a plunge, I can give you the salesman name and phone number.

Thank you very much for the info, but I grabbed a used 2013 SL with premium package yesterday (took delivery today). I wanted to keep my costs down and test the EV waters first. I have no problem unloading it in a couple of years as the tech improves, but for now I am very happy with my purchase and spending the evening reading up on my new toy. I bought the Clipper creek HCS-40P and will have to wait until Wednesday to install it.

Whats required for the PG&E rebate? Do you need professional installation proof?

Used 2016 leafs are usually around $14,000 even with 50 miles.

To me this means if you find a new 2016 leaf it should be priced after rebate a similar amount.

hackdroot said:
LEAF2017 said:
hackdroot said:

My deal in short:
-PG&E Rebate $500

Thank you very much for the info, but I grabbed a used 2013 SL with premium package yesterday (took delivery today). I wanted to keep my costs down and test the EV waters first. I have no problem unloading it in a couple of years as the tech improves, but for now I am very happy with my purchase and spending the evening reading up on my new toy. I bought the Clipper creek HCS-40P and will have to wait until Wednesday to install it.

Whats required for the PG&E rebate? Do you need professional installation proof?

You bought a used car. Chances are someone else already claimed the $500 PG&E rebate, the $2500 CA rebate and the $7500 Federal tax credit.
Your ClipperCreek HCS-40P does not seem to have a sub-metering capability.
It is a required feature to claim $400 PG&E EV-B program.

It was the reason I bought the ChargePoint Home even though it is more expensive. Fortunately, I got $75 Earth Day discount.
The ChargePoint app provides a lot of information about the Home charger charging activity.
You will use this app anyway even though you don't own their Home charger to locate their public charging stations.
I learned that 1 hour off-peak charging time cost me $0.91 and added estimated 27 miles (I feel 25 miles is more accurate).
This intelligent EVSE even knows when to start charging based on local utility, in this case PG&E, schedule.
M-F charging starts at 11pm. Satuday, Sunday and Holidays, charging starts at 7pm.
It is a far superior feature compared to the one built-in with the Leaf.

I would recommend installation by a licensed electrician for peace of mind.
They charge higher but it includes permit, inspection. plus insurance if something goes wrong.
Part of me wanted to go cheap and just hired someone who knows how to do it correctly.
At the end, common sense and peace of mind won the day.

LEAF2017 said:
hackdroot said:
EVftw said:

More data points.

My deal in short:
-PG&E Rebate $500

Hi Leaf2017, can I have the info for that deal (salesman name and phone number)? Might be a long shot for me as I'm in Ventura County but I can't find the deals here near LA.

AT this point I'd consider a 2017 leaf with Premium, but it' a no-win situation. If I lease a Bolt I'll miss real seats and a better ride. Oh, and being able to own the car eventually. If I lease a Leaf I'll long for more power and range. Hopefully when I drive a Bolt soon I'll either love it or dislike it.

LeftieBiker said:
AT this point I'd consider a 2017 leaf with Premium, but it' a no-win situation. If I lease a Bolt I'll miss real seats and a better ride. Oh, and being able to own the car eventually. If I lease a Leaf I'll long for more power and range. Hopefully when I drive a Bolt soon I'll either love it or dislike it.

I would leave all my options open until you get a chance to test drive one. A few people I know say they never noticed anything really different with the seats at all but they were unaware of the controversy beforehand which I think helps. Many here are going in with a "2 strike" attitude towards them.

As for me; I have decided that I cannot support a company that wishes to take money out of my pocket that was gifted to me from the federal government. Unless Chevy gives me the entire $7500, they are dead to me.

The Bolt seat problem is not present in all the cars - that's the main reason not everyone notices it. It is a manufacturing defect. There is now a fix for it that takes about 15 minutes, though, so it's no longer a deal breaker. The car being loud and uncomfortable in general would still break the deal. I need a pleasant driving experience more than I need 200+ miles of range or 200HP.

Back