Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully this is OK but I wanted to post in here and let everyone know that the BAFX OBDii bluetooth dongle works perfectly with Pro. https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-34t5-Bluetooth-Android/dp/B005NLQAHS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1491707769&sr=8-1&keywords=bafx

I was unsure if it was going to work or not because on the app it said it only recommended the konnwei. Low and behold the bafx works perfectly.

Zapped said:
Hi everyone. Although I joined this forum in the summer of 2014, this is my first post. I'll write up a proper intro in the Introductions section soon, but in the meantime I had a question about the display I see using Leaf Spy Lite on a Moto G4 running Android OS 6.0.1 Marshmallow.

I'd like to upgrade to Leaf Spy Pro but the main display ("Bat Stats") showing all 96 cells descends below the x-axis to obscure information about the battery voltages and temperature (I think) -

5YByovg.jpg

The "Voltage Histogram" page, on the other hand, looks fine -

uSdHTui.jpg

Is this a problem with the app only on my phone? I didn't want to pay for the upgrade and still have this issue.

Another simple question, and I apologize if it's been asked to death in the 150+ pages of this thread, but is there an up-to-date FAQ or user manual somewhere? I can guess simple things like 13.04V 2.09A indicates the voltage and current draw on the 12v battery, and I do know what SoC means, but a manual would still be a good thing.

Thanks in advance,
That graphic issue is only on the Lite version which will be corrected on the next release.

There is a built-in manual accessible from the About screen. You can also request an easier to read PDF version be email to you. In fact the next release is being gated by the update to the help file. Updating the documentation seems to take more work than writing the code. I should have the help updated this week as it is my highest priority item right now.

cwerdna said:
Zapped said:
is there an up-to-date FAQ or user manual somewhere?
Yes, there is a manual in the app itself.

For me, go to the 3 vertical dot menu > About & Help > Application Help. At the top, it also contains instructions on how to receive a PDF of it.

Considering the demand for it, maybe it should be put into the files menu here... We have that, right?...

TimLee said:
Turbo3 said:
No Android version of LeafSpy currently supports Bluetooth 4.x LE and the LELink.

However, I just released for testing in May the Android version of TM-Spy (used with Tesla Model S) with Bluetooth 4.x LE support. If that goes well I will update the Android versions of LeafSpy with the Bluetooth 4.x LE code.
How is TM-Spy testing going?

Any estimate on when Bluetooth 4.x LE code will be added to LEAF Spy and LEAF Spy Pro?

Has there been any update in regards to BTLE support?

I have a LeLink I purchased just for use with this app, but I'm wondering if I should give up on the BTLE idea.

IIama said:
TimLee said:
Turbo3 said:
No Android version of LeafSpy currently supports Bluetooth 4.x LE and the LELink.

However, I just released for testing in May the Android version of TM-Spy (used with Tesla Model S) with Bluetooth 4.x LE support. If that goes well I will update the Android versions of LeafSpy with the Bluetooth 4.x LE code.
How is TM-Spy testing going?

Any estimate on when Bluetooth 4.x LE code will be added to LEAF Spy and LEAF Spy Pro?

I have a LeLink I purchased just for use with this app, but I'm wondering if I should give up on the BTLE idea.
The next version of LeafSpy Pro has just been release with support for the LELink Bluetooth 4.x LE adapter.

This is the production release not a test release so everyone with LeafSpy Pro should update to it (0.39.97). The Help file has also been updated with all the new features and has gone from being 31 pages to 48 pages long.

Hi Jim. I've just updated to version 0.39.97 and checked through the change log. It looks really good and I'm looking forward to playing with it in more depth tomorrow. Thanks very much!

Is there a current compatibility chart for different phones/OS? Had to walk away from a purchase since my OBD adapter wouldn't display data after connecting to the leaf:

Samsung Galaxy note 5 running Android 6.1 and LeafSpy

Adapter purchased in 2015 looks like this and is running version 1.5:

Interfuse-Mini-Car-Diagnostic-Scanner-ELM327-v1.jpg

EDIT: Affter readin through the threads, I've ordered the following and hope to have a connecting app within the next 2 days:

BAFX Products 34t5 Bluetooth OBDII Scan Tool for Android Devices
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

KONNWEI KW902 Mini ELM327 Bluetooth Wireless OBD-II OBD2 Car Auto Diagnostic Scan Tools compatible with Android & Windows PC (Orange)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M19GKRP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Turbo3 said:

The next version of LeafSpy Pro has just been release with support for the LELink Bluetooth 4.x LE adapter.

This is the production release not a test release so everyone with LeafSpy Pro should update to it (0.39.97). The Help file has also been updated with all the new features and has gone from being 31 pages to 48 pages long.[/quote]

Alright, you win, purchased :)

That said, something weird is going on with my configuration (LeLink BTLE adapter, Nexus 6P running stock Marshmallow).

Most of the time, I do receive some data (braking/motor stats, but wrong scale), but most other data seems to be stale after initial connect.

Restarting the app doesn't fix the issue, but unplugging the dongle does (at least for a few minutes).

What would be the best way to troubleshoot this?

IIama said:
IIama said:
Turbo3 said:

This is the production release not a test release so everyone with LeafSpy Pro should update to it (0.39.97). The Help file has also been updated with all the new features and has gone from being 31 pages to 48 pages long.

Alright, you win, purchased :)

That said, something weird is going on with my configuration (LeLink BTLE adapter, Nexus 6P running stock Marshmallow).

Most of the time, I do receive some data (braking/motor stats, but wrong scale), but most other data seems to be stale after initial connect.

Restarting the app doesn't fix the issue, but unplugging the dongle does (at least for a few minutes).

What would be the best way to troubleshoot this?
The instructions for the "Experimental" Brake and Motor monitor feature says to disable if you have any trouble. You are having trouble so turn it off.

It is best not to start with the experimental features until you have verified everything else is working ok. Then you can try the experimental stuff.

I am on Android 6.0 on a LG G4 on T-Mobile and my Leaf Spy Pro just upgraded from v0.38 to v0.39. Now my adapter which worked fine on previous releases won't work. The adapter I am using is: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO.

Any suggestions on how to debug the problem or how to go back to version 38?

webfootguy said:
I am on Android 6.0 on a LG G4 on T-Mobile and my Leaf Spy Pro just upgraded from v0.38 to v0.39. Now my adapter which worked fine on previous releases won't work. The adapter I am using is: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PJPHEBO.

What status and colors are you seeing in the bottom right corner status box?

You could also try turning on the slow transfer mode on the Settings/Options panel and see it that helps.

I need an ELM trace to see what is going on. See bottom of the built-in help for how to do it.

Turbo3 said:
It is best not to start with the experimental features until you have verified everything else is working ok. Then you can try the experimental stuff.

I don't recall enabling the Braking & Motor Monitor, but it was causing my Konnwei KW903 to freeze when I visited that screen.
I disabled that feature, and the KW903 half height seems to be a good unit. It connects and holds connection much better than my VGate ELM 327 full height unit. I rarely used LeafSpy while driving, because I knocked the full height dongle out of the socket once.

Will this feature be made to work for dongles that currently freeze?

2013 Leaf S, Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy S7, LeafSpy Pro v0.39.97, Konnwei KW903 from Amazon "Best Compu".

Slow transfer mode fixed it for this adapter. Thanks for the hint. I can still do a trace without the slow transfer mode if you want.

Turbo3 said:
webfootguy said:

You could also try turning on the slow transfer mode on the Settings/Options panel and see it that helps.

I need an ELM trace to see what is going on. See bottom of the built-in help for how to do it.

webfootguy said:
Slow transfer mode fixed it for this adapter. Thanks for the hint. I can still do a trace without the slow transfer mode if you want.

Turbo3 said:
webfootguy said:

I would be interested in seeing what is up with the Cyanogenmod mode and exactly why it did not help. It should result in very slow transfers so one of my hang timers might be the problem. An ELM trace would help.

ClarD said:

I don't recall enabling the Braking & Motor Monitor, but it was causing my Konnwei KW903 to freeze when I visited that screen.
I disabled that feature, and the KW903 half height seems to be a good unit. It connects and holds connection much better than my VGate ELM 327 full height unit. I never used LeafSpy while driving, because I knocked the full height dongle out of the socket once.

Will this feature be made to work for dongles that currently freeze?

2013 Leaf S, Android 7.0 Samsung Galaxy S7, LeafSpy Pro v0.39.97, Konnwei KW903 from Amazon "Best Compu".
I might have time later this year to do more testing to see if it can be made more stable or I might use a different approach that does not have this problem.

Back