LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LeftieBiker said:
The "new" Leaf appears to use the entire midsection from the existing car, so any increase in size will have to be in the rear and/or nose.

I interpret the midsection is the most changed part of the car.
(ie new floor pan) ie need new crash testing
(new A pillars) ie need new crash testing
(new seating) ie need new crash testing
(probably newer, but thinner steel) ie need new crash testing

there probably are a multitude of changes that individually justify new crashing testing,
I would say the Nissan LEAF/ Toyota Prius are fairly stuck on wheelbase dimensions etc, the 'size' changes are due to optimization within the midsection.
yes, some increase in nose is today's automotive fashion as well, buts that just bumper bar air. (cheap, light, crash protection)

I'm not sure they did change the A pillars. The camouflaged cars spotted used Leaf midsection body panels and windows, IIRC. I'm sure the instrument panel is different, but if Nissan was smart (and that is definitely up for debate at this point) they would have reused the seats and other interior bits that most people like. So the car may well have a pretty-much-leaf 1 midsection.

TonyWilliams said:
Delaying the 60kWh LEAF is not a smart move in my view.
I don't think they would do this if they had a choice. They'd do it because their 60 kWh battery is not ready.

As all things Nissan, and unlike the Chevy Bolt EV, the "60kWh" battery LEAF will likely not be 60kWh that are usable. Maybe 55kWh, which is about where the Tesla Model 3 base car will be.
I didn't know Bolt has a useable 60 kWh battery. Is this confirmed ?

OrientExpress said:
MSELeaf said:
Oh, right: the reason I came to this topic. It is now being said that Nissan won't be delivering Leaf "2"s ordered in September until March of 2018. This is definitely NOT all right with me, as I have no desire to spend another Winter driving a car with 50-55 miles of Winter range. Is anyone else thinking about, er, Bolting from the Leaf 2 deal?

That is not an accurate statement. Cars will start to dribble in before the end of the year.

IMO, that was just one scenario to explain how lease extension and free 3 months work. Not a forecast on when the new cars will be delivered.

evnow said:
IMO, that was just one scenario to explain how lease extension and free 3 months work. Not a forecast on when the new cars will be delivered.

I agree, just like every other car launch, not all trims and options are always available initially, some can take up to a year to make it into production. The Volt's adaptive cruise control is a great example of this, after 2 years it is only now becoming available.

You may have to do the Tesla3 shuffle for a while as you wait for a new LEAF. I think if you are going to want an S, then you come to the front of the line. If you want the 300kWh SL version, you might have a wait.

So if you are extending your lease, you have the flexibility to tailor your lease termination to when your car is available. I'm also speculating that since the lease extensions are for 12 months, that the car would be shipping in all trims and configs in the next 12 months.

Since a fix for the Bolt seats is now available, and easy to implement, I may well lease a Bolt this Spring or Summer. If Nissan has any sense left, they will leak some critical Leaf specs like motor output and pack capacity(s) long before September, and will make it clear that orders will be fulfilled by this coming Christmas. Otherwise people will have little reason to wait into or past next Winter for a warmed-over Leaf.

LeftieBiker said:
Otherwise people will have little reason to wait into or past next Winter for a warmed-over Leaf.
Except possibly price (assuming the 40kWh is significantly cheaper than the Bolt EV) or maybe anti-GM bias. I think that is a real thing, especially the further west you go...

jhm614 said:
LeftieBiker said:
Otherwise people will have little reason to wait into or past next Winter for a warmed-over Leaf.
Except possibly price (assuming the 40kWh is significantly cheaper than the Bolt EV) or maybe anti-GM bias. I think that is a real thing, especially the further west you go...

Yup. But Bolt prices are already starting to fall. By September it will be harder to pass on the Bolt because the Leaf is a bit cheaper, unless you want to lease. That will remain the sticking point for me, but I suspect GMAC will be improving the lease deals as well. Also, my health is not good. I don't like the idea of not being able to buy a Bolt 39 months after I lease it, but the point may be moot, in my case. That also works against me waiting almost a year for delivery of a 2018 Leaf. I'm going to be starting a topic on this shortly, I think...

LeftieBiker said:
Yup. But Bolt prices are already starting to fall. By September it will be harder to pass on the Bolt because the Leaf is a bit cheaper, unless you want to lease. That will remain the sticking point for me, but I suspect GMAC will be improving the lease deals as well. Also, my health is not good. I don't like the idea of not being able to buy a Bolt 39 months after I lease it, but the point may be moot, in my case. That also works against me waiting almost a year for delivery of a 2018 Leaf. I'm going to be starting a topic on this shortly, I think...
What's your thoughts on a Model 3 with driverless?

I think that those who got early reservations on the Model 3 may love it. They may also wish they'd gotten later production cars. I really don't know.

LeftieBiker said:
Since a fix for the Bolt seats is now available, and easy to implement, I may well lease a Bolt this Spring or Summer. If Nissan has any sense left, they will leak some critical Leaf specs like motor output and pack capacity(s) long before September, and will make it clear that orders will be fulfilled by this coming Christmas. Otherwise people will have little reason to wait into or past next Winter for a warmed-over Leaf.

It depends on what they've got.

If they have a 200+ miles of range option, it would make some sense to hint at that atleast. That way they can keep people from jumping ship.

If they don't have a 200+ mile option, I'm not sure what would be better. If they announce that - that will encourage people to jump ship now. If they only announce in Sep, they would disappoint a lot of folks who'd go elsewhere.

About when they will fulfil orders - that's a tough one. Production schedules can always slip, so it is difficult for any OEM to assure delivery.

Agreed, but since Nissan seems to be doing this as cheaply as possible, they should have been ably to do it fairly quickly as well. As it is, it looks like Nissan will be slugging it out with Hyundai at the bottom of the EV hierarchy.

I just spoke with NMAC to get my lease extended again while I wait for more info on the 2018 LEAF. I don't know how much information they have on the 2018 LEAF but they were very firm when I asked them multiple times regarding being able to order in September 2017 and actually receiving the car in the dealership in March 2018. If so, it's going to be a looooong wait.

FYI for others, my lease extension ends August 2017 and they are offering me another extension with the 3 months free, but with a lease end date of March 2018.

MSELeaf said:
I just spoke with NMAC to get my lease extended again while I wait for more info on the 2018 LEAF. I don't know how much information they have on the 2018 LEAF but they were very firm when I asked them multiple times regarding being able to order in September 2017 and actually receiving the car in the dealership in March 2018. If so, it's going to be a looooong wait.

FYI for others, my lease extension ends August 2017 and they are offering me another extension with the 3 months free, but with a lease end date of March 2018.

Did they say "in Mar '18" or "by Mar '18" ? If they are told to say "by Mar '18" what is the possibility they will substitute "in Mar '18" for "by Mar '18" ?

evnow said:
Did they say "in Mar '18" or "by Mar '18" ? If they are told to say "by Mar '18" what is the possibility they will substitute "in Mar '18" for "by Mar '18" ?

I definitely was told "in March 2018". I made sure to ask 3 times because that just didn't seem right to me if the car is supposed to be up for order in September.

I'm guessing the fact that they're being so mum on details of the kWh of the Leaf means that it's only going to be a 40kWh battery. Otherwise, if it was a 50-60kWh battery, they would probably be trumpeting it in order to keep people from jumping off the Nissan ship.

I haven't kept track of what is known and what is suspected. IIRC, Nissan said they could beat Bolt. for a price. Then there was speculation of all sorts or battery sizes. Have we heard any more more confirmation from Nissan that there will be a 40 kWh battery than that there will be a team of 8 shiny unicorns providing the power? I don't see evidence the 2.0 will meet my needs any better than my 2011 with 8 bars. Six days a week I travel less than 30 miles. Each Saturday I go 180 on the freeway, through the mountains, including Winter.
I swap the Leaf for the wife's Volt on Saturday.

Durandal said:
I'm guessing the fact that they're being so mum on details of the kWh of the Leaf means that it's only going to be a 40kWh battery. Otherwise, if it was a 50-60kWh battery, they would probably be trumpeting it in order to keep people from jumping off the Nissan ship.

You don't know Nissan very well. They literally slipped the 30 kwh S trim into the 2016 MY without saying a word!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back