Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I saw that many new X's being shipping to Burbank alone last week!! :lol:

Stay classy Hydrogen!! Stay classy.

Ohhh that's right! It's "the future" :roll:

DesertSprings said:
Saw my first Mirai out and about this weekend. Was plastered with a vinyl wrap promoting hyrdogen.
So, what did you think: uglier than a Gen 4 Prius, the same, or better looking? Currently I'm ranking them in descending order of looks as #1, Prius Prime; #2; Mirai; #3, Prius.

DesertSprings said:
I'm the wrong person to ask. I like the way the Leaf looks, ride a V-Strom, and used to own a VW Thing.
The Thing's a great example of form follows function - the looks were exactly suited to the requirements (of the WW2 German military originally, but also for civilians). The Jeep had the same total emphasis on utility, as did the Land Rover. For such vehicles style is essentially irrelevant.

Very interesting. Well, about time more like it. Maybe hydrogen will work on Mars? Nope, Elon will have that covered in Model 3s soon. First principles will bite you in the ass.

Good luck Toyota. Better accelerate that EV plan. You're behind. And with the H2 bulls#%t the past few years, you've essentially lost me as a customer who would have bought an all-EV Prius without even trying.

Similar to GM's EV1 crushing and all their anti-EV BS. Backing CT legislation to block Tesla comes to mind. (other states as well)

It all matters.

http://electrifyingtimes.com/ev1crush.html

https://electrek.co/2016/05/01/tesla-gm-direct-sales-connecticut/

https://electrek.co/2016/05/23/tesla-founder-marc-tarpenning-hydrogen-fuel-cells-scam/

http://evobsession.com/hydrogen-cars-vs-electric-cars-detailed-comparison-efficiency/

Let's see how fast you can be in bringing your car company up to speed with something that actually works.

PS yes, I know I'm Tesla biased. I see Tesla doing more for sustainable transport than most all "alt-fuel" companies combined. Big fan. Can't wait to see what Nissan has to compete. Or Toyota apparently.

finman100 said:
Very interesting.....

PS yes, I know I'm Tesla biased. I see Tesla doing more for sustainable transport than most all "alt-fuel" companies combined. Big fan. Can't wait to see what Nissan has to compete. Or Toyota apparently.

Nissan is Nissan, they make money selling cheap cars where other companies lose money.
Nissan is Nissan, they lose money selling expensive cars, where other companies make money.

Nissan won't make a Tesla model 3 competitor, the Nissan will be significantly cheaper for 60kWh.
Tesla model 3 won't be a LEAF 2 competitor, The Tesla will have significantly more class than a Nissan.

Will Infiniti and Maxima lose sales to Tesla 3, yeah sure. But will Nissan Rogue lose sales to model 3? YOY, not likely.

Mitsubishi iMiEV was first, look at the arrows in its back.
Nissan LEAF was a first, then there were lots of wannbes (Focus EV, Golf EV, Spark EV, etc, etc,etc)
Tesla S was a first, and were still waiting for competitors to show up.
Tesla 3 will be a significant car, it will arrive where other companies make their profit
but
Nissan LEAF even LEAF 2, will not at the market where others make profit.

where is the F150 PHEV/EV?
where is the Corolla PHEV/EV?

Mirai ha ha ha

May U.S. Mirai sales per IEVS: 162 (579 YTD). The IEVS article has a mistake and says 305 YTD, which was the total at the end of March IIRR. Of note, the Clarity FCEV saw its leases jump to 119 in May (previous high 42 in January), so I think the word is spreading that it's a better car than the Mirai.

Via IEVS: June U.S. Mirai sales per IEVS: 126 (705 YTD). IEVS says the total is 708, but either that or the 126 sold has to be an error, as the YTD total last month was 579. Update: Jay has corrected the Mirai's June sales total to 129, which comes out to 708.

I still see these every now and then on the road. Saw on on the road yesterday. There seems to be at least two at my work: one a dark blue and the other's a lighter blue.

Helps that a hydrogen fueling station is just down the road from work.

cwerdna said:
I still see these every now and then on the road. Saw on on the road yesterday. There seems to be at least two at my work: one a dark blue and the other's a lighter blue.

Helps that a hydrogen fueling station is just down the road from work.
I've started to see them a bit more often, although Clarity sightings still outnumber them, against all logic.

Per IEVS, in the U.S. the Mirai sold/leased 82 cars in July, making 790 YTD. The Clarity FCEV sold/leased the same 82. As noted in the Ca. H2 station thread, I believe the Model 3 with the bigger battery plus the SC network (and the failure to expand the H2 fueling network to allow more areas of the state to be reached) will/may already be having a major impact on Mirai/Clarity FCEV sales potential, and Toyota, Honda and any other FCEV manufacturers will have to drop prices and improve performance to compete. At the same time, the rate at which stations open must be increased, fuel prices must drop, and the areas of coverage must be radically expanded, if consumer FCEVs are to have a chance of success in California. Their window of opportunity is rapidly narrowing.

I was interested in the Mirai when they rolled them out. But 2 years later they still don't have adequate fueling infrastructure in place. And now the BEVs have adequate range for reasonable dollars. For me, their window of opportunity passed with Leaf 2.0 being released.

GRA said:
Per IEVS, 70 Mirais were sold/leased in August, making 760 YTD versus 641 YTD last year.
I would be interested in public sales excluding fleet and employees.
Still the numbers are real low to try to mark any trend.

smkettner said:
GRA said:
Per IEVS, 70 Mirais were sold/leased in August, making 760 YTD versus 641 YTD last year.
I would be interested in public sales excluding fleet and employees.
Still the numbers are real low to try to mark any trend.

Somebody... please... stick a fork in this hydrogen car.

Don't worry for the hydrogen lobby... they have $200 million to play with for the next ten years, courtesy of the California tax payer.

Back