Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edatoakrun said:
Excellent discussion of the I oniq, with comparisons to other BEVs and PHEVs at the thread below:
http://www.cleanmpg.com/community/index.php?threads/54013/
Agreed. That's a great link. Thanks.

Further info on the Hybrid 12V battery. Here in Korea the I oniq Hybrid was released last year with the 12V battery at the back (seen in the graphic at the left). But in 2017 they have released the new version without the 12V battery, (seen in the graphic at the right).

The most unusual thing about the I oniq is how rapidly they are making changes. In just 1 year.
1/ Hybrid loses 12V battery.
2/ Korean Electric switches from Chademo to CCS1
3/ New 'Taxi' version in Korea with greater rear headroom.

And the biggest change of all, that next year the battery size will be increased.

rmay635703 said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Valdemar said:
So, why would I buy the Ioniq EV over the 2017 VW eGolf with upgraded battery?

With like 7 more kWh it only gets 1 mile more range? What's up with that?
Efficiency can trump capacity

The eGolf is more efficient than the Leaf already. So the fact the Ionic is even more efficient is wonderful but I personally don't care much, sure there will be times when I have to wait for the eGolf to charge longer due to its larger battery but it is a better car all around for about the same $, and driven around city eGolf should give better range as I suspect a big chunk of Ioniq's efficiency advantage comes from better aerodynamics during freeway driving.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Valdemar said:

AFAIK:

Ioniq 28kWh is capacity available to user
E-Golf 35kWh is total capacity

So, available capacity is most likely similar

As I look to replacing my leased Leaf by May - I've to scratch Ioniq out.

My plan is to take an EV on lease and transfer the lease when I get Model 3 (I expect somewhere between Q2 and Q4 of next year).

Hyundai lease transfers are not allowed. I'm not about to start buying EVs now ... So, Ioniq is out.

Rebel44 said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Valdemar said:

AFAIK:

Ioniq 28kWh is capacity available to user
E-Golf 35kWh is total capacity

So, available capacity is most likely similar

This was my thought too. Based on previous knowledge of the Soul EV, and the fact that Kia and Hyundai are the same company. The Soul EV seems to advertise battery size by usable capacity, whereas the eGolf is advertised by total (nominal) capacity.

One day, maybe we can cut through this mess and all EVs will use the same metric. IMO, that should be usable capacity.

Via GCR:
2017 Hyundai Ioniq Electric: first drive review of 124-mile electric car
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1109060_2017-hyundai-ioniq-electric-first-drive-review-of-124-mile-electric-car

Short version: nice features, good brake blending plus regen paddles, efficient, but battery pack under rear seats and cargo area limit headroom and usable space more than LEAF, Bolt etc. (rear seat only suitable for small adults), despite numbers indicating Ionic has more volume. Sounds like a good commute car for one/two, with room for pre-adolescent kids in back.

GRA said:
Sounds like a good commute car for one/two, with room for pre-adolescent kids in back.

AKA, the family sedan. Until recently, most affordable BEVs seems to come in the small-but-tall hatchback form factor. I'm glad to see them spreading to other options.

GRA said:
...but battery pack under rear seats and cargo area limit headroom and usable space more than LEAF, Bolt etc. (rear seat only suitable for small adults), despite numbers indicating Ionic has more volume. Sounds like a good commute car for one/two, with room for pre-adolescent kids in back.
Disappointing if this is the case :( I already have a smallish rear seat and limited cargo space vehicle with the Leaf, I was looking for something to carry 2 full sized adults in the back seat and more, not less cargo room than the Leaf.....hopefully I'll know more on Wed if they have the Ioniq at my local auto show. If not the Ioniq then maybe the Nero, although other than possibly more upright seating the Nero sounds like it may have even less cargo room....again time will tell, but no way I'm going to go backwards on cargo/passenger room only to gain more battery capacity. For the most part I'm OK with the Leafs range(although I wouldn't mind more) but not so much with overall passenger/cargo room, though I'm quite satisfied with front seat room on the Leaf :)

Hyundai certainly sounds like they Want to sell a lot of Ioniqs (and have in fact sold over 30k of them already) But my question is will it commit to build enough BEV vesions to sell large numbers of them in the USA?

Hyundai sees Ioniq as a compact contender
Looking beyond the green-car market with new hybrid

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. -- Never mind that Hyundai's Ioniq is the most fuel efficient car in the industry without a plug. That's not how the automaker plans to sell it.

Instead, Hyundai will stick to a more basic pitch: The Ioniq is a capable compact car that just happens to have a degree in eco-friendliness.

Hyundai's reasons are simple. While the green-car market is small, there's gold -- in the form of conquest opportunities -- in the overall compact-car market, an important entry point where consumers' brand loyalties begin to form...

"If we did our very best at conquesting the king -- we'll say the Prius -- that's not a lot of sales," Mike O'Brien, vice president of product planning at Hyundai, said last month here at the press launch of the Ioniq. "So instead of focusing on a competitor, we're looking at the 1.1 million people that came very close to buying [a green car] but then bought something else."...
http://www.autonews.com/article/20170311/OEM05/303139994/hyundai-sees-ioniq-as-a-compact-contender

Took an Ioniq hybrid on a test drive today and liked it. Wouldn't want a hybrid but figure it'll look the same as a BEV. Looks sharp, Lots of cargo space. Back seats are tight, but I fit and I'm six feet. Front seats were very comfortable, but this was the premier trim. It handles very well. The interior had a usable layout, lots of storage.

As much as I wanted to like the Ioniq, my impression after sitting in it at the auto show and looking at it's storage, it won't be my next vehicle :(
I liked the outside looks but the roofline was just too low, I couldn't get in the car by sitting first and then swinging my head it, it hit the roor jam :x While I could go in head first, I prefer to enter my cars seat first. I also thought the back seat was extremely cramped, almost zero leg room when the seat was all the way back. Note while on most cars I put the seat all the way back, on the Ioniq(and also Volt and Bolt) I was able to stop about 2" from all the way back which gave the rear seat at least a little more room, still a tad less than my Leaf IMO. And while 3 kids could probably fit in the back left to right, no way adults could, at least not unless auto-show models :lol:
IMO the cargo room of the Ioniq isn't really any better than my Leaf, that being the case I'm just going to hold onto my Leaf for now and hope mfgs come out with a larger BEV or extended range PHEV. I did like the similar Kia Nero a bit better though, more head room and maybe a bit more rear seat room, still not enough for 3 adults nor reason enough to replace my Leaf though.

Far more efficient than either Tesla, of course.

Skip ahead ~5 minutes for the results.

Most interesting to me are the relatively cool temperature lower-speed tests both 43mph constant 150 wh/mi and city/mix 155 wh/mi which (to the accuracy of instruments and test procedures) indicate the Ioniq's total charge range should exceed 200 miles in my typical Summer (hot, low-speed, and mountainous) driving conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CtXMYmUN5s

Via IEVS:
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Subscription From $275 A Month, Arriving In US Now
http://insideevs.com/hyundai-ioniq-electric-subscription-price/

. . . That’s what it’ll cost you to drive as much as you want in a new EV for 36 months. There is a $2,500 down payment, but the state of California offers a rebate of, well guess what, $2,500. If you wonder what’ll happen if you don’t live in California and so can’t get the rebate, well guess what, Hyundai’s subscription offer is only good in the Golden State. And, for now, it’s only available in a few parts of California, specifically Los Angeles, Orange, and Riverside counties. The subscription will come to NorCal and SanDiego later this year.

. . . there are three trim options: the base Electric trim, the Limited ($305 plus tax), and the Limited with the Ultimate Package ($365 plus tax). All have the same “zero-money” down initiation fee and are for a three-year subscription. If we do the math, then we can see that this lease-like subscription will end up costing you $9,900 for the Electric, $10,980 for the Limited, or $13,140 for the Ultimate Package.

. . . to outright buy an Ioniq Electric will cost you at least $29,500, or $22,000 after the $7,500 federal tax credit. It’s not a good idea to simply compare the numbers, though, because the Unlimited+ price covers more than just the car itself . . . it includes:

• $0 initiation fee after rebate
    Hassle-free transaction
    Initial tax, title, license and fees (except California sales tax)
    Unlimited mileage (no mileage penalties)
    Electric charging reimbursement
    Scheduled maintenance [for first 50,000 miles]
    Vehicle wear items

. . . Hyundai’s official “arrives this Spring” website disclaimer has now been replaced with “Currently, Ioniq Electric is only available to California residents“, an important distinction as the Ioniq was previously to be made available to California and 9 other ZEV states out of the gate.

The Ioniq Electric is to remain a compliance-only offering, while the upcoming Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid will be offered nationwide beginning with the 2018 model year this Fall.

Also IEVS:
2018 Hyundai IONIQ Plug-In Hybrid Test Drive Review
http://insideevs.com/2018-hyundai-ioniq-plug-hybrid-test-drive-review/

Hyundai’s plug-in Ioniq does everything your Prius Prime can do, but better. . . .

There’s a lot of unknown data about the Plug-In model; Hyundai won’t release fuel economy and pricing data until closer to the car’s on-sale date. The PHEV uses the same 1.6-liter inline four-cylinder engine as the Ioniq Hybrid, but has a larger, 8.9-kilowatt-hour lithium-ion battery, and puts out a combined system output of 139 horsepower. Hyundai says the Plug-In will offer at least 27 miles of electric range when fully charged, and considering it uses the same powertrain as the Hybrid in the same package, a fuel economy rating somewhere around 58 mpg doesn’t seem out of reach.

But following a quick spin around Hyundai’s technical center in southeast Michigan, one thing is for sure. The Ioniq Plug-In is a better looking, better driving car than Toyota’s Prius Prime, and puts the whole PHEV package in a car that feels, well, normal. . . .

Actually fun to drive. No joke, the Ioniq is super pleasant to scoot around in – more so, in fact, than its competitors. I could use more steering feedback, but the action is progressive with accurate response. The chassis is nicely composed, and this car doesn’t hate being hustled into a bend or two, its Michelin Energy Saver 205/55R16 tires not exhibiting a lot of the understeer-heavy characteristics of other low-rolling-resistance eco tires. Overall, the experience feels similar to that of a typical gas-engine car. This is one compact plug-in hybrid that doesn’t feel weird from behind the wheel. . . .

Back