Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
The challenge with the Bolt is that while it is a well engineered car, the platform that GM chose to use for it is the Gamma G2SC platform which is GMs global compact car platform..

That was what most experts thought, in fact the Bolt uses a unique platform.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106137_chevy-bolt-ev-not-on-shared-architecture-but-platform-name-secret-gm-says

LKK said:
OrientExpress said:
The challenge with the Bolt is that while it is a well engineered car, the platform that GM chose to use for it is the Gamma G2SC platform which is GMs global compact car platform..

That was what most experts thought, in fact the Bolt uses a unique platform.

It's unique in that it has a different floor pan stamping that the other versions of the Gamma G2SC platform, but it's still based on the Gamma platform that GM uses in a variety of compact vehicles.

This is just like Nissan that uses their B platform for a bunch of cars including the LEAF, what is different on the LEAF is that it has a different floor pan stamping too.

VW has the MQB platform for the Golf, and the e-Golf also based on MQB but has a different floor pan stamping.

I don't think there are any manufacturers that have EVs in their product line up that have a completely unique EV platforms. Everybody uses an existing platform architecture that simply have a few unique chassis stamping for the EV varient. The Bolt is even assembled on the same line that assembles other Gamma varient vehicles.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I have yet to see one in person but a look at specs of each tells me they are realistically the same size with Bolt tilted slightly towards passenger space and LEAF tilted slightly towards cargo space. If the Bolt is bigger, it could be more head room? Although I have heard it both ways. Either "the same" or "slightly more in the Bolt"

The kinds of things that made me "feel" cramped were things that are normally not disclosed in specs. Things like how close the windshield is to the driver or how far is the backseat. Coming from Leaf - which is obviously not a "big" car - Bolt still felt cramped.

So now the Bolt is out, I can actually buy one locally.

It is still a hideously ugly car.

But, it's getting good reviews and it seems to me that it handily thrashes the Leaf. The Leaf was groundbreaking for what it was--five years ago. In the past five years the Leaf has done nothing but expand its battery size modestly and maybe lower the price. That's just not enough. The bolt's very ample 200 HP (made all the better with it benefiting from EV responsiveness) plus a battery pack twice as big as the Leaf's ,plus a fairly modestly higher price tag, seems to me it's a clearly superior car.

The Model 3 promises to be better than all of them (if only because of the automated driving, which I'm a huge fan of, but it also looks good...), but hands off to Chevy for being the only domestic manufacturer to take EV seriously. First with the Volt, now with the Bolt.

Nissan has really sat on their hands in the past five years. I can't believe they have done so little to the Leaf's essential stats.

rmay635703 said:
I really don't understand the small car comments. I drive an 81 comutacar that's a small car.

My fathers 4' wide kei car is plenty roomy enough for 2 adults, certainly not cheek to cheek

It's all relative. I'm guessing you don't live in the US? If you do, take a look around.

I park my Leaf in any typical parking lot, and it is smaller than 90% of the vehicles there. The most common size car in the northeast is along the lines of the Rogue (or Escape/CR-V/RAV-4/etc). My mother drives a CR-V and she is convinced it is small. The smallest car she would consider buying. My Leaf can practically fit inside of her car!

Nissan has really sat on their hands in the past five years. I can't believe they have done so little to the Leaf's essential stats.

I'm sure that when the Leaf is finally delivered next March, people will drive that, with 2/3 the range and maybe 2/3 (or less) the power of the Bolt, and will scrap their Bolts so they can buy a Leaf 1.75!

GetOffYourGas said:
rmay635703 said:
I really don't understand the small car comments. I drive an 81 comutacar that's a small car.

My fathers 4' wide kei car is plenty roomy enough for 2 adults, certainly not cheek to cheek

It's all relative. I'm guessing you don't live in the US? If you do, take a look around.

I park my Leaf in any typical parking lot, and it is smaller than 90% of the vehicles there. The most common size car in the northeast is along the lines of the Rogue (or Escape/CR-V/RAV-4/etc). My mother drives a CR-V and she is convinced it is small. The smallest car she would consider buying. My Leaf can practically fit inside of her car!
Leaf is definitely a small car. It may be "mid size", like the Prius is mid-size, but it's not a large car by any means!

EatsShootsandLeafs said:

And yet it remains the best selling EV in recorded history. If you have a winning formula, you are very careful how you tweak it.

With that said, nothing stands still, and it appears that the next version of the LEAF will beat or match everything that Tesla will offer with the Model 3, plus give the consumer a much wider set of options for pricing and content than either GM or Tesla will.

You want a well equipped long distance EV for under $30K before incentives? There is a LEAF for that.

You want a LEAF with all the bells and whistles, that will drive itself and has a range of 250+? There is a LEAF for that too.

GetOffYourGas said:

Comutacar was only sold in the US

As for what I see in the parking lot, it's been months since I saw a large car and it was a 60's era 3 row station wagon.

Like you I do see mini vans like the Escape, Rogue , CRV, RAV4 along with lots of full size vans and trucks.

I really don't know of any sub $25000 full size sedans on the market and the only cars I do see are mid size or smaller.

What sedans would you consider being large?

I think expecting them to make another mini van out of the leaf would be unfortunate. A 60kw battery to only go 120 miles would be a fail in my book

Bigger discounts on Bolts coming soon?

Chevrolet Bolt EV And Volt Sales Flatten In April

...national reserves of the Bolt EV in America quadrupled (to more than 4,000 units); and with that, we anticipated much higher sales numbers.

Unfortunately those sales did not materialize, and it is difficult to put a positive spin on April’s result for the EV.

For April, 1,292 Bolt EVs were sold...
http://insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-ev-and-volt-sales-flatten-in-april/

edatoakrun said:

...national reserves of the Bolt EV in America quadrupled (to more than 4,000 units); and with that, we anticipated much higher sales numbers.

Unfortunately those sales did not materialize, and it is difficult to put a positive spin on April’s result for the EV.

Simple
Cheap gas
Limited sales region and advertising
Toyo fanboys have a usable PHEV
Tesla fanboys are waiting for the econobox to be sold
Early adopters already have usable cars and mainstream buyers want bigger land barges
Lease is still high and most EVs lease
GM has a very large anti GMcrowd and they have yet to clean up their identity effectively

edatoakrun said:

Sooner than I predicted. Give it even more time and we may start seeing Spark type leases.

rmay635703 said:
edatoakrun said:

Simple
Cheap gas
Limited sales region and advertising
Toyo fanboys have a usable PHEV
Tesla fanboys are waiting for the econobox to be sold
Early adopters already have usable cars and mainstream buyers want bigger land barges
Lease is still high and most EVs lease
GM has a very large anti GMcrowd and they have yet to clean up their identity effectively
+1
Although I wouldn't say I want a "land barge" bur rather not something smaller nor cheaper built than my current Leaf :)
It's really too bad as if the Bolt had been even as good as my current Leaf(of course with the bigger battery) I'd have been on board, as is I have little interest in the Bolt in it's current state. IOW I'm not willing to trade everything else for the sake of range.

GM really needs to offer better deals it they want to approach the 30k annual production capacity. As it is, they're looking more like 12-15k for the year, or maybe 20k if they see a late spurt. OTOH, I'm seeing a Bolt or two every week now, and they are still more common than the Prime around here even though the latter is considerably outselling it - maybe Toyota's selling a lot more out of California than the Bolt, which is still limited in the number of states it's available in.

Back