Lose the "Building Trees" on the head's up display

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
knightarmor said:
Who knew little tree animations could annoy so many?

I don't mind the trees. They tell me if I spent way too much time stuck in traffic on my way home from work!!

Two trees= got home quickly and without too much traffic
Three trees and a stump= too much time stuck in traffic!!!

Nissan needs to work on getting us 300 miles of range. If they get us that I could care less if the trees are there or not.

Two trees ?? how far are you from work and how fast do you drive ? What State/City are you in ?

I'm off the 405 in Orange County, and I am lucky to get a full tree with no traffic driving home. And when I was stuck in traffic, lucky if I got a 2nd tree haha My power gets sucked up, Gary told me to slow down, but in the carpool lane if you do less than 65mph, you'd be driven off the road, people fly in there.

I commute 34 miles each way. Lots of traffic lights. In Seattle so there are hills. The longest stretch with a chance of no traffic lights or stop signs is 16 miles with a 55mph speed limit. Typically hitting speeds up to 65mph.

I don't mind the trees display, either, but it isn't really all that useful because a lot of the things that affect the efficiency of the car's operation are inherent in the route being driven (hills, prevailing traffic speed, temperature, wind, etc), rather than any skill of the driver. If it's supposed to help train/encourage you to optimize your driving efficiency, it would be nice if its display could somehow be made relative to the car's current conditions. One possible way might be to access the massive database that gets built by all the LEAFs whose owners grant permission for Nissan to data-log, so that the little efficiency game could rate your current perfomance (miles/KWh, most likely) against the average of other drivers who've taken that same route.

And why does the ECO indicator drop to about half when I engage the cruise control? This makes no sense. Cruise control is supposed to be more efficient in maintaining an even speed than my right foot.

Zukidrvr said:
And why does the ECO indicator drop to about half when I engage the cruise control? This makes no sense. Cruise control is supposed to be more efficient in maintaining an even speed than my right foot.

Cruise control is more efficient than a lead-footed driver, but less efficient - by quite a bit - than a driver using hyper-miling techniques (or the less extreme techniques that I call "Super-Miling"). The big advantage of cruise control is it can relieve driver fatigue a bit, while eliminating inadvertent speeding, and it's also very helpful for people like me who have foot pain.

Zukidrvr said:

I found that if you enable cruise control, you are not using "ECO" mode anymore. I toggled between eco versus cruise and it shows the same numbers.

As for me, cruise control is perfect for me since its flat all the way for my traveling except that a hill over the freeway.

I realize that many Leaf owners have some inflated sense of importance that they are involved in some great environmental cause saving the world, but the vast majority of people (like myself) view that as bunk. The more the Leaf can divorce itself from this environmental mindset (symbolized by the Leaf and Tree icons) the more it will appeal to the vast majority of people who are more interested in reliable economic vehicle and not some overly subsidized environmental project that is doomed to failure.

I'm not really offended but some people may be so just off the cuff:

I have spent 8-1/2 years of my life supporting global climate change research as an ice core driller. I have read the papers and GCC is a reality. Furthermore we now have the smoking gun that it is caused by human activity. You don't have to take my word for it. Just google EPICA and see the data for yourself.

As for zero emissions I recognize it actually means zero emissions here. The electricity is probably being generated in a coal fired or natural gas generator. Also, how many barrels of oil does it take to build a leaf? I have no idea, but the Leaf does not have a zero carbon footprint. So even if we do get a bit big headed about it it is not the solution. Only part of it.

I thought the tree building display was beyond silly. Still, I am just learning to use this car and it's unique features. But as far as making some huge eco improvement, I saw a film taken around a southeast asian battery manufacturing plant. I did not feel very eco friendly after that. But, if fuel costs go up, this might be a nice offset to the volatile price changes we see in the cost of gasoline . Sure power companies get increases, but not on a day to day basis. And while I cannot make my own gasoline, I can build a solar, wind, or hydro power generation system if I choose. Of course I am not foolish enough to think as of 4/2017 this is economically practical, but it can be done giving a person some independence from the big power corporations and possibly some personal satisfaction.

I don't pay lots of attention to the tree thing but I seem to recall at least three trees and another one almost built by the time we pulled into the fast charger last week in Salmon Arm after our Sunday drive last Sunday. The GOM and the kilometers travelled added up to over 220. Something like 162 traveled and 63 to go. A lot of slow weindy country roads, a lot at 60 KMH. I couldn't and can't believe how little power the car uses when hanging around 60 KMH. Wow. Very relaxed four hour outing including a great lunch in Salmon Arm "De, Mills Farmers Market"

kleppertwo said:
I realize that many Leaf owners have some inflated sense of importance that they are involved in some great environmental cause saving the world, but the vast majority of people (like myself) view that as bunk. The more the Leaf can divorce itself from this environmental mindset (symbolized by the Leaf and Tree icons) the more it will appeal to the vast majority of people who are more interested in reliable economic vehicle and not some overly subsidized environmental project that is doomed to failure.

I'm not really offended but some people may be so just off the cuff:

I have spent 8-1/2 years of my life supporting global climate change research as an ice core driller. I have read the papers and GCC is a reality. Furthermore we now have the smoking gun that it is caused by human activity. You don't have to take my word for it. Just google EPICA and see the data for yourself.

As for zero emissions I recognize it actually means zero emissions here. The electricity is probably being generated in a coal fired or natural gas generator. Also, how many barrels of oil does it take to build a leaf? I have no idea, but the Leaf does not have a zero carbon footprint. So even if we do get a bit big headed about it it is not the solution. Only part of it.

I think it's interesting to compare the grams of co2 per mile in an EV vs an electric. Not much difference until you start to plot the carbon foot print of getting the oil, transporting the crude, refining it, and distributing the gas. Then it's about 1/5th the amount of carbon per mile driven.

Further, at least Electric power has the potential to come from more sustainable generation methods. Some can off-set with solar or wind. This tech is evolving fast meanwhile fossil fuels will always be fossil fuels.

I agree... no need to get smug about an EV, but it's nice to feel like an early adopter of a piece of the solution.

My wife and I are both bewildered anybody thought this thing a valuable addition to the car. It's kinda cutesy, but I'd prefer the car just be ten bucks cheaper (or however much it costs to add that thing) and I don't have any visual spew in my view.

RyHarris said:
pyromancy5 said:
I think it's interesting to compare the grams of co2 per mile in an EV vs an electric.

I think you mean EV Vs ICE.

But yes, I agree!

Yup, that was just a brain fart. No greenhouse gasses released from that either.

smkettner said:
Yes and it is especially annoying because it resets every time I start the vehicle.
Should restart at each full recharge to 80% or 100% or once a day.
Better to just be gone.

Totally agree.. I barely look at that tree...

(Heck, I barely look at the top display with my speed.. I just look at the bottom to see my GOM and economy rating, which can be dangerous since I look at it more than the road)...

I agree, the trees are dumb. I never understood them and just ignore them. From photos that I have seen, it looks like it's gone from the new 2018 model.

Back