Photovoltaic solar-panel rear spoiler

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The above post is SPAM. The solar panel on the Leaf SL isn't going to provide any measurable range - it barely manages to keep the 12 volt accessory charged when in full sunlight for many hours. Get the SV.

Good catch! There were 2 of them, they both quoted and then edited the quoted text to include links to their sites.
Deleted and banned!
Mike

Oddly in my SL the12V battery went dead twice (was in need of replacement), both times around 1:00pm or 2:00pm on sunny days. You'd think that if the 12V battery is on it's last leg you'd have less problems after a few hours of direct sunlight on that 12V solar panel. Apparently it doesn't do much, if anything at all.

USSValor said:
I am considering the SV Leaf since I want to have the WINGS option available, but I'm curious to know the actual benefit that the Photovoltaic solar-panel rear spoiler provides on the SL model. I read that it's purpose is to power the car's accessories and not the car battery.

Does anyone know if the Photovoltaic top Solar Panel Maintenance rear spoiler provides any benefit to the range of the car?

I personally like to listen to the radio while driving and having the AC turned up all the way in the summer and the heat in the winter (I live in TX).

Hello,

The solar panel on the spoiler makes almost no difference. It tops up the 12V battery and AC makes difference it. If the car is left standing for several weeks then it means the battery stays topped up without needing to use power from the main battery.

If the car is used regularly it makes absolutely no difference as the 12V is then kept topped up during normal use. So overall there are some nice benefits of using Photovoltaic solar panel rear Spoiler in the Car.

Thanks

Stanton said:
One of the reasons I did NOT get an SL was the solar panel. It didn't feed the traction battery and I felt I could get a better 12v battery down the road if I really wanted it (and I did--see my sig); I also figured it would be more trouble than it's worth if it was ever cracked or damaged. The other reason was I didn't want QC (at that time you had to get an SL to get QC).

I bought my SL because I wanted leather, the 30kw battery and the all-around view camera like my wife has in her Murano, I did notice the solar panel but didn't notice that the SV and S models on the dealer lot not having them, so it wasn't really in the calculus for me that day I'm embarrassed to admit. The Bose Sound System is noticeably better than the stock radio in our '14 S, but it's not worth $1000, that's for sure.

I did drive and S w QC (and eventually bought a '14 just like it for my sons for a great deal) but figured since I was going to all the trouble of buying a new car and getting a huge tax break in the process, I'd just go whole hog and get the top end model. I don't have that many miles on the car yet, (less than 3k), but the 12V battery seems to hold a charge just fine, I park at the train station in South Tacoma all day on weekdays and use Leaf Spy to eyeball things to/from most days when I'm driving around town. I can't seem to tell, or at least I haven't looked directly for the 12V battery voltage immediately after start when the car has sat in the sun all day, but I should I guess. I have noticed the 12V battery periodically charge itself now and then, actually had to look up the status light for it because I didn't know why LED #3 was blinking all by itself.

Back