What is your GOM reading after a full charge. 30 KWH BATT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
actionorton said:
We also own a Tesla and a full charge always shows the same amount of mileage available, give or take a couple of miles, although this will only change once we start to drive.

Is the GOM really that sensitive that the fully charged display can differ by 30-40 miles when only a day old.

The LEAF invented (and earned) the GOM moniker. I'm not going to tell you my GOM data on my new 2017 LEAF with 30kWh battery, since there is just no reason to. It provides no useful comparison data, except to say that if I previously drove fast / carelessly, and you drove cautiously, your GOM will be higher than mine.

Does that tell you anything about the battery?

I have a Tesla, also, and Tesla uses "Rated Range" that is dependent on whatever the EPA value is. My S-70D is rated at 240 miles, so a full charge when new was 240 miles (plus or minus a few).

Now, at almost two years, it's about 230 miles.

Have you found the Tesla is more accurate at measuring remaining range?

Just out of curiosity, and I know this is off topic, but what kinds of efficiency numbers do you get from the Model S, in mi/kWh? I was reading an article the other day about EV range and it mentioned that larger batteries can be less efficient overall because you are carrying all that extra weight around 100% of the time, thus reducing the mi/kWh. So a smaller battery is more efficient 99% of the time unless you need the 200+ miles of range on a regular basis.

My 2016 30KWh typically shows from 90-125 on the GOM. I have found that a better gauge is to use the percentage full. 100% is good for about 100 miles with a mix of mostly highway miles. Eventually it seems the GOM = the % by the time it gets down to 30% and tracks pretty close from there.

jbuntz said:
My 2016 30KWh typically shows from 90-125 on the GOM. I have found that a better gauge is to use the percentage full. 100% is good for about 100 miles with a mix of mostly highway miles. Eventually it seems the GOM = the % by the time it gets down to 30% and tracks pretty close from there.

Same here. Use the % full gauge as your range estimate, it tracks pretty well with my area's environment and google maps navigation estimates.

Use https://www.evtripplanner.com/ for best results (not as conservative as using the % full gauge).

The GOM ranges from 105-125 miles on my 2016 SV - it has 22,500 miles so far on the odometer..
100 miles ball park is the realistic safe range on a 100% charge...with normal 55-69mph driving...

Impressed with the 30Kwh battery holding up so well..so far...
Curious to see, what happens after crossing the 30,000 mile mark on the odometer.

LincolnW said:
Have you found the Tesla is more accurate at measuring remaining range?

Just out of curiosity, and I know this is off topic, but what kinds of efficiency numbers do you get from the Model S, in mi/kWh? I was reading an article the other day about EV range and it mentioned that larger batteries can be less efficient overall because you are carrying all that extra weight around 100% of the time, thus reducing the mi/kWh. So a smaller battery is more efficient 99% of the time unless you need the 200+ miles of range on a regular basis.

Quoting from a chat with a Model S owner at a charging station with 120,000 miles on his 2013 Model S.

Tesla Model S delivers 3.3-3-6miles/Kwh ball park depending on battery size, driver behavior etc.
Yes, its overall efficiency is lower than the Leaf due to much heavier weight...

Usually 116 - 127 miles, live in the Seattle area with mild weather most of the time. I've got ~2000 mi on my 2016 SL now and although it does vary I am getting the range the GOM is predicting much of time, considering I'm cold blooded and run the heater a lot I'm not disappointed one bit. :)

not surprisingly.. I don't give a r***s a** about what your tesla does.

with my 2016 30KW.. what the GOM says after charging reflects whatever my average KwH per mile use has been.

I use the 1% = 1 mile rule of thumb.. which works out quite well.

We live at the top of a range of hills.. so we can almost coast 10 miles down hill leaving.. gaining miles as we go
but we use almost double the average on the climb back home. So, the average works out fine.

108 miles is typical for 100% for us.
run the heater drawing 3 kw and toggle in and out of eco... and watch it change it's mind !

I generally ignore the guess -oh!- meter.. and drive along with it showing me the % charge.. and I use that as
my milage remaining.. 28%=28 miles.. of which I know I don't want to use the last 10 or 12.

In practice I have only gone below 20 % a couple of times.

I am impressed with the fact that several of us.. driving in quite different areas, temps, and speed routines, are all reporting

1 Mile = 1 Percent

With cold of 40 degrees F

OR

Hills

Being the variables that reduce this.. hills being the serious eaters of stored power.

I am SOOOO very glad I was able to get the 30KwH battery.. because I see now that with a used 24KwH battery
we were NOT going to be happy up here in the hills... where we have 12 + miles UP to get home !

I now use as a rule of thumb that I will get HALF the gom estimated milage ( based on flat land driving)
going home uphill. As was said earlier.. if I don't have over 25% charge.. I don't try to go home till I top up a bit.

Back