NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my experience pulling the fuse only works if the battery is already very weak and low on voltage. I had consistent success by pulling the negative 12v battery terminal for 5 minutes and reinstalling, and then logging in again without doing anything else.

In your case, glecko, I would guess the tech didn't complete the install or installed the wrong part as has happened to others. You pretty much want a dealer who specializes in Leafs and doesn't see them as a burden to do the upgrade. Many many Nissan dealers will try to charge more than the standard $199, will miss steps, or just plain will refuse the service. Many dealers still view EVs as the enemy.

Stanton said:
I must admit I'm baffled.
I did the "fuse pull" a couple of weeks ago and it restored all CW functions except Charge Complete/Stopped messages. I get all other messages...including all communication with the web and mobile app. Yes: all messages are turned "on" in the car.

I have noticed a difference in the messages received since the TCU upgrade. I have a timer set to start a charge cycle every morning at 2:10am. I used to get a text message and email every morning when the charging stopped, even if the battery was already charged (SOC at 100% when timer activated). Now, I only get the notices if charging actually occurs (starts with SOC below 100% when timer activates). I checked the settings in the car, and on the website, several times to make sure all messages are turned on. Something has changed in the way Nissan servers handle the notices received from the cars.

glecko said:
+1 to issues with new telematics module.

I'm in a 2011 Leaf and following the telematics "upgrade" I noticed right away that I could not log in. I see the car icon with a signal-strength-type-indicator that makes me think the module is activated. I use the username(PIN) and password from the website and I consistently get "the connection to the center failed"

I have tried the fuse trick, didn't seem to help.

Without reading through 60+ pages I suppose my next options are to call Nissan or make another service appointment?

It sounds like the device was not properly activated. Refer them to Communications Bulletin PC449/PC450 date 17 November 2016. It has all the instructions for the dealer, including the correct part numbers for the various model years and the activation instructions.

I went through this same hassle with mine. The dealer failed to follow the instructions the first time around, and then could not complete the activation because they did not have the IMEI off the old TCU unit. I had to contact EV Support and get it worked up through the support chain until they were able to manually fix the problem in their system. The car sat at the dealer for seven weeks.

baustin said:
The car sat at the dealer for seven weeks.
Geez! Did they give you a Leaf loaner during that time? I'd begin to get upset if I had to leave my car there more than 2 days since I'd been driving my over 11 year old Prius instead of my Leaf w/free charging at work.

Let's just hope my dealer can get whatever my issue is resolved a lot faster than that.

after my TCU update in Febuary, my remote access is sporadic at best. I also still get TCU related codes. occasionally, I'll also get the 'EV system warning' light. That goes out when I cycle power (but I suspect the code that triggered the light remains in the system).

My 12V battery is weak but less than 2 years old. Not bad enough for Walmart to take it back, though. I might have to break down a get a new battery just to see if that solves all the issues. Anyone else solved their TCU issued with a new 12V battery?

Car is back from dealer with issue still not resolved. They & Nissan EV support both say hardware is connecting, it's an issue on Nissan's end. Phone tech cited "schema" error, whatever that is.

Stanton said:
I must admit I'm baffled.
I did the "fuse pull" a couple of weeks ago and it restored all CW functions except Charge Complete/Stopped messages. I get all other messages...including all communication with the web and mobile app. Yes: all messages are turned "on" in the car.

I figured it out and it has nothing to do with the TCU upgrade: I changed mobile providers (after I did the fuse pull) which requires an update to your CW/EV Connect messages (different carriers have different domains). It's always something!

"I changed mobile providers (after I did the fuse pull) which requires an update to your CW/EV Connect messages (different carriers have different domains)."

So what was the outcome? Are the "Charge Complete/Stopped" messages working now with your new mobile provider or not?

Better yet, how about folks who didn't have to upgrade the TCU (i.e., year model 2016), are they continuing to receive the Charge Complete/Stopped notifications? :roll:

Success!

After 22 days with the new hardware, I finally got the call from Nissan EV that it was set up on their end. Sure enough, I hit "Accept", and all the options for my car showed up.

Here are the steps I took:
- Walking through the logon process step-by-step with tech support over the phone - didn't work
- Mashing the "Accept" key repeatedly - didn't work
- Deleting & re-entering the car ID & password in the navigation system - didn't work
- Taking the car back to the dealer to re-check install - didn't work
- Pulling the negative battery terminal - didn't work

- Sending an impatient email to Nissan EV - worked :lol:

Don't think I'll ever need remote climate control in SoCal, but charge interrupt notifications are worth the price of admission for me.

Congrats, awesome that you're in business with telematics! My car will be back in the shop tomorrow for unrelated issues and they will look into the Telematics.

Can you share the email you used and maybe some keywords we can steal to guide the conversation?

glecko said:
Congrats, awesome that you're in business with telematics! My car will be back in the shop tomorrow for unrelated issues and they will look into the Telematics.

Can you share the email you used and maybe some keywords we can steal to guide the conversation?

Regarding: NissanConnect EV (CarWings)
Hello,
I brought my car in for the telematics (3G) update on 3/27/2017; the dealer told me to call NissanConnect service "in a couple hours" to activate it. Since then, despite phone calls, logging on to my account, attempting to submit my password from the car unit, and returning the car to the dealer for troubleshooting, the Leaf has not been able to connect to the service.
It is now 4/17/2017. The service folks on the phone (particularly XXXXXX at extension XXXXXX) have been very courteous, but the fact is, I am losing my patience. This issue must be addressed *this week*, or I will be obliged to request a full refund, and alert my credit card company.
(I feel that you should also consider compensating XXXXXXX Nissan, as this problem has essentially doubled their work as well, but that is between you and them.)

I don't know how much of an effect the above actually had in lighting a fire under the process. And to be fair, everything the customer service reps on the phone, - and the dealer - told me the entire time seemed to be the case: that the failure of the web portal to process my acceptance of the terms & conditions was preventing the car from seeing a valid account. Still, it shouldn't take three weeks for techs on the server end to set an "accept" flag on something that is likely pretty close to a JavaScript error.

I actually feel for the dealer... they probably followed Nissan's 3G unit installation instructions to the letter (twice... and sprung for a loaner car the second time). And who knows how many headaches they've gone through with other owners because of glitches like this.

Zagmeister said:
"I changed mobile providers (after I did the fuse pull) which requires an update to your CW/EV Connect messages (different carriers have different domains)."

So what was the outcome? Are the "Charge Complete/Stopped" messages working now with your new mobile provider or not?

I can now say: yes, I am receiving my "charge complete/stopped" text messages again.

Continuation of my saga from http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=491430#p491430
cwerdna said:
Nissan EV support never called me back, as they said they would.

I ended up having to call them. They basically said that the unit can't communicate w/Nissan so (IIRC), they claim it can't be activated. They insisted the B02 error indicates a (wire) connectivity problem and that it'll have to go back to the dealer.

I hope to make a dealer appointment for next week.
Confirmed the night before that I'm still hosed.

Brought car to dealer. I forgot to bring the printout of the web page w/my EV Connect "PIN" (username) and their generated password, so I looked it up on my phone and wrote it on a piece of paper for the dealer. Dealer called me twice in the afternoon to confirm that they read my semi-sloppy handwriting properly.

them: "It doesn't work."
me: "Yeah, that's why I brought the car back."

Second call from the dealer basically said the tech spent 45 minutes on the phone w/Nissan and that I needed to call the Nissan EV support folks (they gave me a different # than I've usually called) to have them do a "master reset". They claimed that I needed to call them because everything got disabled because of (something) "got hacked", blah blah. I didn't remember the incident until I got off the phone w/them. I think were alluding to http://www.computerworld.com/article/3037996/car-tech/nissan-apologizes-shutters-mobile-app-that-left-leaf-ev-hackable.html. I explained to them that Nissan Connect was working just fine for me until 1st week of Jan 2017, which was a few days after AT&T's 12/31/16 2G shutdown. They said I had to call anyway.

Called the Nissan support line the dealer gave me. The woman said she'd escalate things and that they do these master resets all the time. She said she'd put in a ticket and mentioned SXM ticket. She said she'd call me back but it'd be probably Friday (4/28) at the earliest that it'd work and possibly as late as Tuesday (5/2). If it doesn't work then, the car may need to go back to the dealer.

There was some goofiness as they had another email address on file for me (not the same one I use to login) to the portal at https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/ but one I may have used before. She claimed that some dealer techs forget to "look at the back" and do some other step. (Sorry, memory's foggy as I was busy at work and am now sleepy.)

We shall see. I'm not clear if the dealer techs physically checked the connector of the TCU and whether the dealer trip was actually unnecessary. If so, seems like the EV supports need to have better troubleshooting steps/flow chart.

Hello I have a noob question about this nissan connect/carwings, When the time comes for me to buy my used Leaf does this carwings/nissan connect have to be de-registered by the seller before another owner can register it!
Many Thanks.

Lancpudn said:
Hello I have a noob question about this nissan connect/carwings, When the time comes for me to buy my used Leaf does this carwings/nissan connect have to be de-registered by the seller before another owner can register it!
Many Thanks.
In the US, no. I had to call the US Nissan EV support line saying I own this Leaf now. Here's the VIN and I wish to take it over. They required proof that I own it such a receipt/bill of sale w/VIN and all.

At the same time, I told them to release the previous Leaf I had which I'd returned at the end of 2 year lease.

cwerdna said:
Lancpudn said:
Many Thanks.
In the US, no. I had to call the US Nissan EV support line saying I own this Leaf now. Here's the VIN and I wish to take it over. They required proof that I own it such a receipt/bill of sale w/VIN and all.

At the same time, I told them to release the previous Leaf I had which I'd returned at the end of 2 year lease.

Ah! Thank you for that :) I wasn't sure if it was registered to the car or the person owning it.

So a month went by working flawlessly and the popup for confirming you still want to let the car talk to the internet popped up. Accepted that but I can no longer access the car via the app, website, other apps, or the python script I've been using with my Echo. Still getting charge complete messages, still able to update stations, still able to log in through the car, but can't establish communications with the car externally. Resetting CarWings settings in the car didn't help. Gonna try the fuse pull again.

Edit: Of course I posted this and now it appears to be working all of a sudden for the first time in a week...

magico13 said:
Edit: Of course I posted this and now it appears to be working all of a sudden for the first time in a week...

Glad it's working again!

Mine was resolved by the dealer working with Nissan. Sounds like it was an issue with my account in the Telematics system - but nothing that I could resolve on my own. Kudos to the team at my local dealership for taking care of things in roughly short order. Had my car in for some major A/C work anyway ... and they provided a loaner car (gas though).

GerryAZ said:
aminorjourney said:
Using LEAFSpy Pro, I'm getting P3131 00C0 EV/HEV System Shutoff Timeout EVC-220 every time .

I had the EV warning light and the same DTC as you two days in a row about a month after getting the TCU replaced. CarWings had been working fine until it stopped sending charge complete messages and set the trouble codes. I let the car sit for a few days during an out of town trip and came home to a completely dead 12-volt battery. I jump started the car and ran a few errands to give the battery a chance to charge. The plug in reminder and charge complete messages started working again and the DTCs have not come back so it appears that the dead 12-volt battery reset the TCU. It has now been 2 months since the dead battery episode and there have been no more issues.
Sorta on this note...

In my saga (earlier at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=492766#p492766), on Thursday or Friday 4/27 or 4/28, I noticed the 3G TCU was working better. It suddenly actually updated charging stations by itself and I could sign in w/my NissanConnect "PIN" and password. It'd return a message w/something like my account/id was activated. However, the NissanConnect iOS app could not retrieve status nor could their web site. Nor am I receiving any email notifications, which I did before the 2G shutdown. And yes, they're enabled.

But then I think starting Friday (4/28), I got the yellow triangle ! with the car ! warning lights after 80% charge. I do also notice the DTC P3131 000B EV/HEV System Shutoff Timeout EVC-220 in Leaf Spy. After maybe 3 power cycles, the yellow triangle and car ! warning lights go away. I normally charge to 80% at work via midnight to midnight charging timer trick. On Fridays, I them near end of the day go to 100%.

I did charge partially a few times over the weekend and once to full on free public L2 EVSEs (not work) but didn't set the charge limit to 80% at all. These warnings didn't come up.

Today, when I went to unplug my car at work (80% midnight to midnight timer), I again saw the yellow triangle ! and yellow car ! again. DTC is unchanged, but I never cleared it. ~3 power cycles later, the warning lights are gone.

I also got a voice mail this (Monday) morning from the Nissan EV support saying they're still working on my escalation and will get back to me by Wednesday.

Once the TCU is fully working, I will try pulling the 12 volt for 5+ minutes.

Why would you wait until it's working to disconnect the 12v battery? The idea is to disconnect the 12v to make it start working. In your case it's probably worth it as your unit is working from the car out, but not from outside to the car. Also the EV warning lights your describing is classic weak 12v, which causes the TCU to go into standby.

Back