LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So we already know that a cheap Leaf with a 30kWh pack is not a big seller.

I'm not sure it's just the pack that is slowing sales. If they had actually improved the car in small ways, like 80% charge option reinstated, good high beams, and a small HP tweak, I think it would sell much better. I would certainly have tried to get one. Instead we have a 2017 Leaf that is actually worse in some ways than a 2013, even with more range. What Leaf driver wants to get a new car and give up features, while having to live with existing flaws that could easily have been fixed?

EVDrive said:

CARB is doing the right thing to incentivize long range EV's with fast charge times wich is what I and others who are waiting on the EV sidelines right now want in addition to low prices. Where would EV's be without CARB, maybe nowhere. ...

realistically, looking at Euro sales, CARB is almost irrelevant. 2 of the 3 best selling cars have nothing at all to do with CARB. One was actually stopped by CARB from coming to America. (Outlander PHEV)

CARB went just that little bit too far, if they hadn't of made that little hassle, PHEV SUVs would be established in USA, and probably leading the plug in charts for sales.

ydnas7 said:
EVDrive said:

CARB is doing the right thing to incentivize long range EV's with fast charge times wich is what I and others who are waiting on the EV sidelines right now want in addition to low prices. Where would EV's be without CARB, maybe nowhere. ...

.... One was actually stopped by CARB from coming to America. (Outlander PHEV)
Thats the first time I've heard that, how did CARB prevent the PHEV outlander from coming to the US? I've been really wanting one for years but have basically given up believing they will actually make it to this side of the pond :(

jjeff said:
ydnas7 said:
EVDrive said:

Thats the first time I've heard that, how did CARB prevent the PHEV outlander from coming to the US? I've been really wanting one for years but have basically given up believing they will actually make it to this side of the pond :(

I'll have to look it up, but when the PHEV was suitably fresh, but with all wrinkles ironed out it was ready to bring to the states. CARB changed the rules concerning how their computers could access battery status. Seems like a small deal, and should only be a 6 month delay for a healthy car manufacturer, but for Mitsubishi it was fatal to the PHEV program for the USA.

Mitsubishi USA was sick, needing to offload a perpetual loss making factory, and having burnt at least $50 million to bring the iMiEV to USA, it was so speak, the straw that broke the camels back. Mitsubishi USA is basically at hand to mouth status, CARB changed the rules part way on them, its over, perhaps Nissan can fund the Outlander PHEV coming to USA, personally I suspect Mitsubishi would just wait for the 2nd generation Outlander PHEV, its got 3 electric motors (2 on rear axle, like some Hondas) and 24kWh battery.

jjeff said:
ydnas7 said:
EVDrive said:

Mistubishi has given all sorts of excuses as to why they haven't sold the Outlander here; the most recent ones are that they are modifying it to make its performance acceptable in the U.S. The reference to CARB delaying its debut was due to the following, over three years ago:
California Delays Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV’s US Debut To Late 2015, Early 2016 (Update: ARB Response)
http://insideevs.com/california-delays-mitsubishi-outlander-phevs-us-debut/

You can judge for yourself how much weight you want to put on Mitsubishi's claim.

EVDrive said:
So we already know that a cheap Leaf with a 30kWh pack is not a big seller...
In point of fact, 15,742 sales make the LEAF the world's best selling BEV in 2017 through Q1.

Not bad at all IMO, especially considering the LEAF came to market years before most of its competitors, in a field experiencing rapid technological advancements.

Gen One LEAF's excellent design and continuing sales success are both major reasons Nissan has been in no hurry to introduce Gen Two.

Who Is The World’s Leading EV Maker? No, It’s Not Tesla

...In the first quarter of 2017, the Renault-Nissan Alliance moved nearly 37,000 electric vehicles, per data supplied by the automakers. That is some 12,000 units, or nearly 50%, more than the 25,000 electric vehicles Tesla said were shipped by the company in the first quarter.

An even bigger surprise: Nissan’s aging Leaf outsold Tesla’s likewise long-in-the-tooth Model S. The Leaf remained the world’s best-selling electric vehicle in the first quarter. It is hardly a secret that the Leaf is to be replaced soon by a completely new model with more range, a pleasing design, and with the semi-autonomous ProPilot package Nissan introduced with its Serena minivan last year. Considering the model change, one would expect Leaf sales to go down, but just the opposite is true...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/05/01/who-is-the-worlds-leading-ev-marker-no-its-not-tesla/#6eb2d7233912

what edakoakrun just said is spot on. Even after seven years the LEAF continues to be the top selling EV world-wide and owns the sub $35K market.

Expectations are high for the Gen 2 LEAF, so Nissan is just making sure they have their ducks in a row to deliver on price, value, performance, reliability and take the lessons learned from the past to provide a better owner experience.

Mark September 5th (6th in Japan) on your calendar to judge for yourself.

edatoakrun said:
Gen One LEAF's excellent design and continuing sales success are both major reasons Nissan has been in no hurry to introduce Gen Two.
I think the $10k Nissan rebate on the Gen1 is more to the point. No way Nissan will offer that discount on a new design, and without the discount the new LEAF is not going to attract much consumer interest. Just look at Bolt sales for insight into Nissan's problem.

'LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)'

very little

but plenty of rumor

WetEV said:
OrientExpress said:
46,000+ miles - all 12 bars - Same range as new - No warranty issues ever!

"46,000 miles 12 bars". Sure, I've seen this, and better.

"Same range as new". I doubt it. Even in cooler Seattle, Leafs lose range.

"No warranty issues ever!" Counting the TCU?

Its not out of the question. We have someone over 80000 miles with LS readings that say he is still over 96%. I think we need to accept the fact that environment plays a role but not all LEAFs are created equally.

LeftieBiker said:
Thing for me is, that's 150 miles new..
What will it be after 5 years in the winter with the heater going?

It won't be 150 miles with the heater running in cold weather even when new. Figure 120-130 miles in Winter.

Had a Bolter who could only get like 170ish miles in OR which gives you an idea of how much of an impact rain (not so much cold) and climate controls can be.

On another note; My LEAF would be as low as 90 miles on crappy days which means standing water and heavy rain but easily doing 115 and not counting today, we have not had a single day of decent weather. I expect 125 will not be a challenge come Summer.

What does this mean? Your new 150 mile EV could easily not make 100 miles in Winter.

DaveinOlyWA said:
...not all LEAFs are created equally.
That was certainly our experience with our '14 LEAF built in 1/14. After 21,000 miles in Asheville we were down to 18.4 kWh and 53.25 AHr. I sure expected better in our relatively-moderate climate...

OrientExpress said:
what edakoakrun just said is spot on. Even after seven years the LEAF continues to be the top selling EV world-wide and owns the sub $35K market.

Expectations are high for the Gen 2 LEAF, so Nissan is just making sure they have their ducks in a row to deliver on price, value, performance, reliability and take the lessons learned from the past to provide a better owner experience.

Done! While I think you're right on much of this, I'm still skeptical. They will need to offer quite an upgrade for me to consider trading up. My 2011 SL works just fine for in-town use, except in the winter when regen is nearly non-existent. If I could sell it for $5k (which I doubt) and purchase a new 2018 Leaf 2 for $15k net (which I also doubt), then I'd consider it. However, I'm certainly an edge case, living in a small community with an 8 mi RT commute. Maybe 2020 when the Leaf 2 starts to come off of lease.

Yeah, you are close however. Though 'Im not sure if you would really benefit from a new car. Forms of the new car will certainly be affortable for those with modest budgets, but it is a decision that only you can make. I'll look forward to your imressions on 9/5 (in the Americas, 9/6 in Japan) and what you decide to do.

Reddy said:
OrientExpress said:

Done! While I think you're right on much of this, I'm still skeptical. They will need to offer quite an upgrade for me to consider trading up. My 2011 SL works just fine for in-town use, except in the winter when regen is nearly non-existent. If I could sell it for $5k (which I doubt) and purchase a new 2018 Leaf 2 for $15k net (which I also doubt), then I'd consider it. However, I'm certainly an edge case, living in a small community with an 8 mi RT commute. Maybe 2020 when the Leaf 2 starts to come off of lease.

the effective price of my 2016 on lease is $17½K. You could lease a new one with upgraded heater, better fast charge profile and better batteries using your LEAF as a trade in, milk the lease for 3 years then negotiate a lower buyout at the end. As it is, with my zero down lease, my residual is $9.1K. With your driving needs, you would be set for a while. It would be a bit of money out of pocket but a much better car I think

DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:
Thing for me is, that's 150 miles new..
What will it be after 5 years in the winter with the heater going?

It won't be 150 miles with the heater running in cold weather even when new. Figure 120-130 miles in Winter.

Had a Bolter who could only get like 170ish miles in OR which gives you an idea of how much of an impact rain (not so much cold) and climate controls can be.

On another note; My LEAF would be as low as 90 miles on crappy days which means standing water and heavy rain but easily doing 115 and not counting today, we have not had a single day of decent weather. I expect 125 will not be a challenge come Summer.

What does this mean? Your new 150 mile EV could easily not make 100 miles in Winter.

I would be interested to know exactly how that Bolt owner was driving and using their car to only be getting 170 miles. I've been following the Bolt and numerous owners via the net (Youtube, discussion boards, etc.) and everyone seems to consistently be getting the 250+ and there are some people who have reported slightly over 300 miles with very conservative driving and heavy regen use.

tattoogunman said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
LeftieBiker said:

I would be interested to know exactly how that Bolt owner was driving and using their car to only be getting 170 miles. I've been following the Bolt and numerous owners via the net (Youtube, discussion boards, etc.) and everyone seems to consistently be getting the 250+ and there are some people who have reported slightly over 300 miles with very conservative driving and heavy regen use.
From the Bolt thread, describing the results from the Ampera-E's range calculator:

• . . . Range results are as follows:

Temperature (HVAC OFF / ON)
    -20°C: 432 km / 242 km (268 miles/150 miles)
    -10°C: 439 km / 256 km (273 miles/159 miles)
    0°C: 473 km / 316 km (293 miles/197 miles)
    10°C: 512 km / 412 km (318 miles/256 miles)
    20°C: 527 km / 472 km (327 miles/293 miles)
    30°C: 515 km / 422 km (320 miles/252 miles)
    40°C: 502 km / 368 km (312 miles/229 miles)
    Between the highest result of 527 km (~327 miles) at 20°C and the lowest at 432 km (~269 miles) at -20°C we see some 18% range drop.

While, the use of heating at -20°C would eat 54% of range to 242 km (~150 miles), and that’s not end as there could be also stronger wind or other factors.

The very worst case scenario is -20°C and into the wind/aggressive driving, which decreases range to 253 km (157 miles) / 210 km (130 miles) depending on heating OFF/ ON. That’s up to around 60% less than normal.
Note the above ranges are at 'medium' speed. The calculator can be found at http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/ampera-e/uebersicht/partials/reichweite/reichweitensimulator.html and you can also select 'High' or 'Very High' speeds. The 'High' cycle peaks out at just under 100km/62 mph, the Very High around 130 km/81 mph, and somewhere between the two or else Very High would probably best represent U.S. freeway cruising. Medium cycle seems to peak at about 80km/55 mph, with more accel/decel, and low is stop and go at a max. of 60 km/37 mph.

Very High @ 10deg. C (50 deg. F) with the heat on gives an estimated range of 281 km/ 174.5 mi., while high gives 393 km/244 mi. under the same conditions. @ 0 deg. C (32 deg. F), w/heat, High gives 319 km/198 mi., VH = 245 km/152 miles. Add the effect of wet roads, wind, hills and reserve to taste.

GRA said:
tattoogunman said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

From the Bolt thread, describing the results from the Ampera-E's range calculator:

• . . . Range results are as follows:

Temperature (HVAC OFF / ON)
    -20°C: 432 km / 242 km (268 miles/150 miles)
    -10°C: 439 km / 256 km (273 miles/159 miles)
    0°C: 473 km / 316 km (293 miles/197 miles)
    10°C: 512 km / 412 km (318 miles/256 miles)
    20°C: 527 km / 472 km (327 miles/293 miles)
    30°C: 515 km / 422 km (320 miles/252 miles)
    40°C: 502 km / 368 km (312 miles/229 miles)
    Between the highest result of 527 km (~327 miles) at 20°C and the lowest at 432 km (~269 miles) at -20°C we see some 18% range drop.

While, the use of heating at -20°C would eat 54% of range to 242 km (~150 miles), and that’s not end as there could be also stronger wind or other factors.

The very worst case scenario is -20°C and into the wind/aggressive driving, which decreases range to 253 km (157 miles) / 210 km (130 miles) depending on heating OFF/ ON. That’s up to around 60% less than normal.
Note the above ranges are at 'medium' speed. The calculator can be found at http://www.opel.de/fahrzeuge/ampera-e/uebersicht/partials/reichweite/reichweitensimulator.html and you can also select 'High' or 'Very High' speeds. The 'High' cycle peaks out at just under 100km/62 mph, the Very High around 130 km/81 mph, and somewhere between the two or else Very High would probably best represent U.S. freeway cruising. Medium cycle seems to peak at about 80km/55 mph, with more accel/decel, and low is stop and go at a max. of 60 km/37 mph.

Very High @ 10deg. C (50 deg. F) with the heat on gives an estimated range of 281 km/ 174.5 mi., while high gives 393 km/244 mi. under the same conditions. @ 0 deg. C (32 deg. F), w/heat, High gives 319 km/198 mi., VH = 245 km/152 miles. Add the effect of wet roads, wind, hills and reserve to taste.

Interesting - I guess the solution would be just using the heated seat function instead ;) I think most of the people that I have been following have been avoiding using their climate control, so that would sort of make sense. I know a few people showed videos where there GOM ("guess o meter") showed their range as 250 miles and by just turning on the heat or AC, it would instantly drop to 230 or so. When they switched it off, it hopped back up to the 250. Most of them are also using the regen functions heavily and seem to be having good results. Still interesting.....

The Bolt uses a resistance-only heater, so when it has to provide a lot of heat in real cold it draws about 7kw - less of course in less extreme situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back