Disable VSP sound by software

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LincolnW said:
I just purchased the pro version so I can try this out. Thanks for all of your hard work on the app!

One other question. Is there a way to disable the tire pressure sensors via LeafSpy? I believe the sensor in one or more of my tires is malfunctioning. I've checked the tire pressure daily over the past three weeks and it's held steady at 40psi on all tires, yet my warning light stays on. I'd like to disable the light or turn off the tps check if possible. I check my tire pressure at least weekly on all of my vehicles, and I wouldn't trust the sensor anyways. It's not a huge deal, I've learned to ignore the warning light, but it's one of those things I'd like to disable if possible.
Don't know of any way to disable the TPMS functions. But I have not really looked for any.

Test version 0.39.99 was just uploaded to Google. Includes some bug fixes.

I also changed the way I handle post Reboot of the VSP. Instead of waiting a fixed time it now waits 5 seconds then every second tries to read the status until it finally gets it or times out after 18 seconds.

Works great on my US 2015 SV. Turned off the extra sounds after I got home and noticed that opening the charge port made noise. Figured it could be one of them so I disabled all three. Pressed the button again and no noise, so I'm thinking one of them is that. I'll report back once I've tested more.

Edit: Sound C is the 3 beeps when you open the charge door. Don't know about the other two yet (charging related maybe, like plugging in the handle? I'll check in a bit) or if C handles anything else.

Edit the second: C seems to control all of the noises related to charging. With just C and the standard 4 disabled I didn't get sounds when opening the charge port, plugging in the charge handle, the EVSE and the car verifying connection (when the lights for the timer start "running"), or when overriding the charge timer.

Mine counted down to 140 before it got a response and refreshed, in case you're still wondering.

I just tried it on my 2016 SL and it worked great. I turned off all sounds. The startup / turn off sounds are now gone. I don't know that the backup beeper sound is gone yet but will find out tomorrow. Counted to about 14.2 on restart.

Great work!!

I wonder if one of them is the annoying beep that happens if you open the door with the car switched on. I'll experiment later..

TonyHoyle said:
I wonder if one of them is the annoying beep that happens if you open the door with the car switched on. I'll experiment later..

I wondered that as well but didn't find that to be the case. I still had those beeps with everything turned off. Might be different for you though.

From a newbie: What are the VSP start and stop sounds?

I don't remember hearing a specific noise from VSP when you start the car? The car plays it's little tune but I don't think that's from the VSP?
I know the car beeps when you stop it. I assume this is the stop sound?

Vehicle is 2013 S, located in the Pacific Northwest.

I disabled "Drive Sound" and "Reverse Beeps" last night. The reverse beeps are gone, but I think the low speed humm is still there. It was pouring down rain so I didn't try driving slowly with the windows down to verify. I was just excited to have no more annoying reverse beeps!

I also managed to figure out which of my TPMS sensors is faulty, turns out it's the RR sensor, the others ready 40 psi all around, very cool. I also read the DTCs and got:

C1710 0009 BCM No Data RR Wheel WT-28

Which I'm guessing means the RR TPMS sensor isn't working, as I had thought.

Super cool app, I'm glad I bought the Pro version. Thanks again for your work on this!

Does this disable the VSP reverse beep and low-speed noise forever (until you re-enable them or reset the battery)

Or are the sounds re-enabled every time you start the car, like the VSP Off button behavior?

chirpyboy said:
Does this disable the VSP reverse beep and low-speed noise forever (until you re-enable them or reset the battery)

Or are the sounds re-enabled every time you start the car, like the VSP Off button behavior?

So far for me they haven't turned back on at all. I haven't tried to see if disconnecting the battery turns them all back on.

The sounds appear to stay off until enabled by the app. I can confirm the stupid backup sound is gone. It does not disable the beeping you get when you lock/unlock the doors (and I am ok with that).

webfootguy said:
the stupid backup sound is gone
It may be stupid for the leaf driver but I can verify it's not stupid for the cyclist whom I would have run over had he not stopped upon hearing that sound when backing out of my driveway before dawn one morning not too long ago.
The cyclist had no reflective clothing, it was dark and bushes covered any possible view from the end of the driveway.
I did get out and apologize , but he realized the situation and was VERY THANKFULL for the back up warning.
Previous to that time my thoughts were " it sure would be nice to disable that beep beep sound as to not wake the neighbors" but now that seems frivolous.

chirpyboy said:

The change is a configuration change so is valid until changed again by LeafSpy Pro. The configuration is stored on the VSP board in non-volatile storage so loss of 12 volts does not reset it.

This change is special in that as far as I can tell Nissan's Consult 3+ has no access to these settings.

Ekendahl said:

I don't remember hearing a specific noise from VSP when you start the car? The car plays it's little tune but I don't think that's from the VSP?
The VSP board has two speaker outputs. One is the external VSP speaker that makes the outside sounds the other is under the dash and makes the turn ON/Off sounds.

Can someone check if you disable all 7 sounds do the turn signals still make a sound? How about Warning flasher sound?

I will be releasing another test version that tries to make it clear you must have the Leaf ON (dash gauges active) to use the VSP Settings page. There is also a Read button until you make a change so if you get the Not Supported message you can try again.

2011/2012 models (perhaps other years outside the US) have their VSP board connected directly to the VCM and Combination meter so there is no CAN connection. Which means LeafSpy does not have direct access to the VSP board.

There may however be settings on the Combination meter to do some of these functions if someone (pointing to first post ;-)) would like to look for them.

Turbo3 said:
I will be releasing another test version that tries to make it clear you must have the Leaf ON (dash gauges active) to use the VSP Settings page. There is also a Read button until you make a change so if you get the Not Supported message you can try again.

2011/2012 models (perhaps other years outside the US) have their VSP board connected directly to the VCM and Combination meter so there is no CAN connection. Which means LeafSpy does not have direct access to the VSP board.

There may however be settings on the Combination meter to do some of these functions if someone (pointing to first post ;-)) would like to look for them.

I have LeafSpy Pro that I got through Amazon, does this mean to get this latest Google Play version with the VSP settings I need to pay again through Google Play?

rcm4453 said:
Turbo3 said:

I have LeafSpy Pro that I got through Amazon, does this mean to get this latest Google Play version with the VSP settings I need to pay again through Google Play?
No, the VSP version will make its way to Amazon when released. Right now it is just in testing.

It does mean you will not be able to access the test version which is only available through Google's testing program.

Turbo3 said:
Ekendahl said:

The VSP board has two speaker outputs. One is the external VSP speaker that makes the outside sounds the other is under the dash and makes the turn ON/Off sounds.

Can someone check if you disable all 7 sounds do the turn signals still make a sound? How about Warning flasher sound?

Vehicle Start Sound is definitely the "song" that plays when starting the car.

The manufactured whine when driving, audible when you start moving, actually turns on and off with the "Drive Start Sound", not the "Drive Sound" checkbox.

None of the settings affect the hazard or turn signal sounds. As magico13 has already stated, none of these will disable the triple beep when leaving the car on and exiting vehicle. Sound C is definitely charge status (beeps when plugging in, etc) as well as the triple beep unlocking charge port door inside the car.

I wondered if Sound A and/or Sound B could be associated with LBW dash beeps, but I don't get there routinely.

I would just submit that the backup sound may be annoying but it's a significant safety feature. The kids in my alley and the Walgreens's parking lot don't pay attention, I don't mind it.

Turbo3 said:
I have a '12 Leaf and Leaf Spy Pro, so would be willing.. But no idea what I would need to do... ???

desiv

Back