Do all public chargers in USA come with the charging cable?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time caller.... :)

I was watching the latest Fully Charged episode about the LEVIAMP overhead charger product launch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT86ICX6VsI, and noticed that there was no actual charging cable on the device, which seemed to imply that you would have your own cable on hand.

I've only had my 2015 Leaf since last November, it does not have fast-charge capability, and I've only ever charged at home. Initially with the trickle charger with the big brick, and then with the EVSE I had installed in the last week of 2016. Got my credit, yay!

I had always assumed that if I did ever need to go to a public charger that it would always have the necessary cable and J1772 connector already attached. Robert Llewellyn tweeted that I ought to have a "Type 2" cable in case it doesn't. I've done some research and now I'm more confused than ever, because the ones I'm finding seem to be UK or Euro specific.

Can anyone offer any insight on whether Robert's advice is applicable in the USA, and whether I should be carrying another cable just in case I ever need it, and where I might best get one? My Leaf charges at 6kW, so I presume a 32amp cable would be appropriate, and would both ends be male?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for any nooby mutton headedness.

Yeah, the cables that detach at both ends are purely a Euro thing, for better or worse. You won't find that anywhere in North America.

wmcbrine said:
Yeah, the cables that detach at both ends are purely a Euro thing, for better or worse. You won't find that anywhere in North America.

Yep..
I think i like that idea tho..
With the damage I've seen to cables from time to time, would probably be nice to not have a cable always there for people to abuse..

And not just "bad guys"..
The number of times I've seen EVers unplug their car and just leave the cable dangling, sometimes pointing up (This is Oregon, we have rain..)... ;-(

And the number of times I rewind cables that people just leave lying on the ground.. I sometimes feel like I'm the only one who winds them back.. (I know that's not true, but it feels that way..)

<sigh>

desiv

Randy said:
Every public charging station I've ever used here in the US has had a cable attached....

Unless it got stolen for its copper. One time I pulled into an EVGo station and someone had cut off the cables to all the EVSE's. Fortunately I had enough charge to make it to a different station.

I suspect theft is the primary reason that you BYOCC in Europe, and why the eGolf has an annoying charging handle lock (you can't set it to unlock when done, unlike with later Leafs).

RonDawg said:
Randy said:
Every public charging station I've ever used here in the US has had a cable attached....

Unless it got stolen for its copper. One time I pulled into an EVGo station and someone had cut off the cables to all the EVSE's. Fortunately I had enough charge to make it to a different station.

I suspect theft is the primary reason that you BYOCC in Europe, and why the eGolf has an annoying charging handle lock (you can't set it to unlock when done, unlike with later Leafs).

I've been using public charging since 2011 here in San Diego with my LEAF initially and beyond with my Model S, and have seen far fewer instances of charging station/cable vandalism than I originally thought would happen...

Back