Parked next to a new Bolt today....

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeafPowerIsIxE

That car is REALLY small! Beautiful smooth design, but everything looked minaturaized even compared to my Leaf (#NeverNissan). As I prepare for life after the Leaf, I'm looking at every EV option - trying to avoid a sedan (like the Model S); I haven't bought into the gull wing doors of the Model X, and I want pure EV (no Volt). So I'm looking forward to seeing what the Model 3 will bring....

Spec for spec, the Leaf has a slight edge in size....

Leaf Bolt
Wheelbase 106.3 102.4
Overall length 175 164
Overall width 69.7 59.1
Overall height 61 62.9
Track width (front/rear) 60.6/60.4 59.1/59.1
INTERIOR (INCHES)
Head room 41.2 39.7
Leg room 42.1 41.6
Hip room (front/rear) 51.7 51.6
Shoulder room (fr/rear) 54.3 54.6

LeafPowerIsIxE said:
Hey TK: Do you know if the Bolt will allow a trailer hitch to be installed. For a bike rack - not towing.... I fit one effectively to my Leaf.

Yep, on the forums, I'm actually one of the first if not THE first to install a Curt hitch on my Bolt.

Untitled by tk_1971, on Flickr

There's this whole thread or two about how low the Curt hitch receiver was (about 7" from the ground). I ended up having a welder modify it to get it higher, but the design of the hitch didn't work with my bike rack. Things were visibly bending after hitting the trail.

Had to pull up on the hitch to bend it back.

Good thing Draw-Tite just came out with a better (IMO) designed hitch. The Draw-Tite supports the hitch not only at the bumper bar support but there are two metal supports linking up to the support beams under the car. NO mods needed on the Draw-Tite hitch, so I ended buying and installing that one too. Now I have 2 hitches.

Here's a side by side of the hitches. Notice how the Curt hitch has all 4 supports at the same plane.
hitch side by side by tk_1971, on Flickr

Closeup of the bottom beam supports on the Draw-Tite. Notice the support from 2 different planes:

Here's the Curt hitch with a much lighter rack. This worked for me until I received my Draw-Tite hitch.

Bottom Line: get the Draw-Tite

tk1971 said:
LeafPowerIsIxE said:
Hey TK: Do you know if the Bolt will allow a trailer hitch to be installed. For a bike rack - not towing.... I fit one effectively to my Leaf.

Yep, on the forums, I'm actually one of the first if not THE first to install a Curt hitch on my Bolt.

There's this whole thread or two about how low the Curt hitch receiver was (about 7" from the ground). I ended up having a welder modify it to get it higher, but the design of the hitch didn't work with my bike rack. Things were visibly bending after hitting the trail.

Had to pull up on the hitch to bend it back.

Good thing Draw-Tite just came out with a better (IMO) designed hitch. The Draw-Tite supports the hitch not only at the bumper bar support but there are two metal supports linking up to the support beams under the car. NO mods needed on the Draw-Tite hitch, so I ended buying and installing that one too. Now I have 2 hitches.

Here's a side by side of the hitches. Notice how the Curt hitch has all 4 supports at the same plane.
hitch side by side by tk_1971, on Flickr

Closeup of the bottom beam supports on the Draw-Tite. Notice the support from 2 different planes:

Here's the Curt hitch with a much lighter rack. This worked for me until I received my Draw-Tite hitch.

Bottom Line: get the Draw-Tite

Thanx for the detailed summary! I won't use anything but a hitch mounted bike rack. It took almost a year to get a hitch compatible with my new Genesis V-8. I had the same issue with the hitch being too low and scraping the bike rack every time I went up and down my driveway. I use a Thule 990XT Doubletrack, which is not light. The hitch I installed on my Leaf was perfect from the start. Spoiled me.

Nonetheless --- #NeverNissan.

Before I put this topic on Ignore (there is already a Bolt topic, as I noted) I'd like to mention that posting numerous large pictures is, unfortunately, allowed here, but quoting them for no reason is just poor manners. Those with dialup or DSL will find it hard to load pages crammed with repeating photos.

Regarding hitches, I just went to chevrolet.com and built up a Bolt. Chevy now offers an OEM hitch receiver. Not that I'm recommending one over the other, just another option.

GetOffYourGas said:
Regarding hitches, I just went to chevrolet.com and built up a Bolt. Chevy now offers an OEM hitch receiver. Not that I'm recommending one over the other, just another option.

That's been a topic in the Bolt forums. Appears to be the Curt hitch. Here's the warranty info off the Chevy website:

Source: Manufacturer

Duration: Non-GM warranty. Warranty by CURT® Manufacturing; for information, contact 1-877-287-8634.

Coverage: Materials

Back