New MY18 Leaf Lease Extension program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I mentioned, Nissan is looking to give priority to lease extenders for the new car. Of course the devil is in the details, and that is one of the reasons that the lease extention is for a year, this gives everyone wiggle room if an owner is not able to take delivery at years end.

OrientExpress said:
As I mentioned, Nissan is looking to give priority to lease extenders for the new car. Of course the devil is in the details, and that is one of the reasons that the lease extention is for a year, this gives everyone wiggle room if an owner is not able to take delivery at years end.

Even if Nissan will deliver in December for people with lease extensions, their September "release" of the next Leaf is too late. There are usually new car sales for Memorial Day weekend, July 4th, and Labor Day weekend. If the specs for the new car are withheld until September, people will still be "Bolting" when lease deals for that car improve. If Nissan wants to keep us as Leaf drivers, they will have to release at least specs like pack capacity, HP, torque, interior space and actual pricing, all by July at the latest. Otherwise the lease extension will serve only to help people get a better deal on a Bolt, or possibly an Ioniq.

(It appears that you can order an Ioniq EV now, or at least soon, in CARB states, if you don't have to test drive one. Don't want to order a car without driving it first? Good point! Why should we do that with the next leaf, in September?)

Well it is what it is, September 6th is the global reveal for LEAF2, and Memorial day sales are to move leftovers to the cheapskates.

Major new car reveals have traditionally been in September, and for those that are happy with second best, it is the time to buy the closeouts.

No automaker is going to cave to the "if you want me to continue to like you, give it to me now" tantrum, so my advice is to suck it up and wait four months to see what the new LEAF proposition will be or stop complaining and go buy a Bolt.

OrientExpress said:
Well it is what it is, September 6th is the global reveal for LEAF2, and Memorial day sales are to move leftovers to the cheapskates.

Major new car reveals have traditionally been in September, and for those that are happy with second best, it is the time to buy the closeouts.

No automaker is going to cave to the "if you want me to continue to like you, give it to me now" tantrum, so my advice is to suck it up and wait four months to see what the new LEAF proposition will be or stop complaining and go buy a Bolt.

I got a fantastic deal on my 2013 SV on Memorial Day weekend - of 2013. Labor Day weekend and later holiday sales are the ones designed to move aging stock, as you should, but apparently don't, know. I'm not throwing a "tantrum," BTW. I'm genuinely sad that I probably won't be getting another Leaf. I'm not writing all of this because I want Nissan to specially build a 2018 leaf for me now. I'm writing it to try to get Nissan to understand that there are many others in my situation, and that the lease extension won't work as planned unless we have enough information to want to order a Leaf in September, and enough confidence that we will have the cars before Winter slashes our already-reduced range. It would be foolish of us to wait until September to even find out basic technical specifications.

My advice: If you've got the hibby-jibbies and can't wait until September, moving to another manufacturers product right now is the right move. You're happy and that will free up a gen2 LEAF for someone else.

tommy382 said:
iv. If I don't like the new 2018 LEAF pricing or for whatever reason, I can return the vehicle in January 2018 "no questions asked". This implies that I only need to pay for 3 months: Nov, Dec, and Jan and got Aug, Sep, and Oct for free (a $1110 saving)
You pay 370*9 = $3330 for a year's use (or $2220 for 9 months use) of a used LEAF that is worth around $6000 to Nissan at auction. That sounds like a pretty tepid deal for customers willing to sit and wait for the 2018 model.

*Free* use of the old LEAF while waiting for the 2018 would make me consider the offer if I was in this lease situation.

LeftieBiker said:
I'm not throwing a "tantrum," BTW. I'm genuinely sad that I probably won't be getting another Leaf. I'm not writing all of this because I want Nissan to specially build a 2018 leaf for me now. I'm writing it to try to get Nissan to understand that there are many others in my situation, and that the lease extension won't work as planned unless we have enough information to want to order a Leaf in September, and enough confidence that we will have the cars before Winter slashes our already-reduced range.
You are a poster child for why leases usually suck. Too much leverage and choice is given up when the end of lease approaches.

OrientExpress said:
My advice: If you've got the hibby-jibbies and can't wait until September, moving to another manufacturers product right now is the right move. You're happy and that will free up a gen2 LEAF for someone else.

If I were in fact happy with the Bolt's interior and lease offers, I'd do just that. As it is, I'd prefer a Leaf but I'm not going to spend most of another year waiting for one without even driving one first.

BTW, your combination of company ad man and patronizing fan boy prose isn't endearing. I am directing my criticisms at Nissan, not you. You are not Nissan, even if you work for them, so how about saving the misspelled sarcasm for another forum? If you have actual information on the next version of the Leaf, please share it. If you don't, we really don't need starry-eyed speculation - the Web is already full of it.

One post slipped in.

You are a poster child for why leases usually suck. Too much leverage and choice is given up when the end of lease approaches.

Would you care to explain what this means? If you are making a general comment about leases, then I'm not a "poster child." Since I'm not on the hook to do anything, how do I represent what's wrong with leasing? Not wanting to drive my 45-65 Leaf another Winter doesn't reflect a problem with leases. It represents a problems with Leafs, so to speak.

So I'm not sure what that post means either, but I assume you are attributing it to me, instead of its author.

I'm an advocate of leases for technology at this stage in its life-cycle.

But honestly, your low tolerance for risk isn't endearing to you either. Go get a Bolt, please and end this torture. The web is full of manic depressive pessimism about every topic. I'll take realistic optimism anytime.

Or you could Cowboy Up and bet that the Gen2 LEAF is going to work for you. Whichever way you go you'll will know the answer in 100 days. As for me, I'm chill and betting the LEAF is going to work just fine for me. There is more than enough intelligence out there now to see what the car will be. All you have to do is integrate it.

And thank you for the "Ad Man" reference. I must admit I'm still working on the Fan Boy look, but I am hanging out in several of the Tesla groups to get pointers.

So I'm not sure what that post means either, but I assume you are attributing it to me, instead of its author.

No, that's why I said that another post slipped in ahead, while I was writing mine. Anyway, why would I bet that the next Leaf will work just fine for me, with no information on any of the car's most important specifications? For all we know at this point, it could still have a 108HP motor, and a 35 (usable) KWH pack that will be prone to heat damage. No, I'm not going to rush out and lease a Bolt just because my posts make you uncomfortable. Where's the fun in that? ;)

LeftieBiker said:
For all we know at this point, it could still have a 108HP motor, and a 35 (usable) KWH pack that will be prone to heat damage.
I'm pretty sure that I read the chief engineer saying that the new battery pack would not gain any new cooling mechanisms. They seem to still be relying on heat capacity. Perhaps the chemistry is changed but a spec will not mean anything.

The warranty details could however be quite informative.

OrientExpress said:
I must admit I'm still working on the Fan Boy look, but I am hanging out in several of the Tesla groups to get pointers.
:D
Tesla fanboy-ism is a wonder to behold. I offer myself as exhibit 'A':

I bought TWO plug-ins in the past 6 months, am quite happy with each ... and still am looking forward with great anticipation to my reservation being filled for the Model 3. And it isn't really the car -- I don't expect it to be so much better than my LEAF -- but more being part of a greater good I believe in and want to support. And of course giving the middle finger to the raging buffoon in the White House.

SageBrush said:
tommy382 said:
iv. If I don't like the new 2018 LEAF pricing or for whatever reason, I can return the vehicle in January 2018 "no questions asked". This implies that I only need to pay for 3 months: Nov, Dec, and Jan and got Aug, Sep, and Oct for free (a $1110 saving)
You pay 370*9 = $3330 for a year's use (or $2220 for 9 months use) of a used LEAF that is worth around $6000 to Nissan at auction. That sounds like a pretty tepid deal for customers willing to sit and wait for the 2018 model.

*Free* use of the old LEAF while waiting for the 2018 would make me consider the offer if I was in this lease situation.
No, 370*3 for 6 months use if I return in January.

Called yesterday and Mike is sending extension paperwork. Key points:

Wait until credits show up on statement before skipping payments.

Expiration to move from 8/13/17 to 3/13/18. But an early order could see delivery by November, better odds for CA, but MA not far behind.

DNAinaGoodWay said:

Expiration to move from 8/13/17 to 3/13/18. But an early order could see delivery by November, better odds for CA, but MA not far behind.
Are they telling you that the 2018 Leaf might be delivered by Nov 2017? Several reps consistently told me that pre-order/pre-lease paperwork can be done in September but delivery won't be until March 2018.

tommy382 said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Are they telling you that the 2018 Leaf might be delivered by Nov 2017? Several reps consistently told me that pre-order/pre-lease paperwork can be done in September but delivery won't be until March 2018.

Where do you live?

[
tommy382 said:
[Several reps consistently told me that pre-order/pre-lease paperwork can be done in September but delivery won't be until March 2018.

The script that the call center reps read has been fixed so that they provide a more accurate answer as to pre-order first deliveries. Late November/December will be the earliest deliveries and will be to a few areas in California.

National delivers of pre-orders will start in Late November~ December with dealers getting allocations in Q1/CY'18. If you live in California, Seattle , Denver, North East, and Atlanta you will have the best chance of taking first delivery.

For my lease extention I submitted it late last month and the 3 month credit was applied with this months statement. It is processed as soon as it is received.

For pre-orders of LEAF/Next, you can submit an order on September 5th or later, and depending on how early you submit and where you take delivery will determine where you will be in the queue for actual delivery.

Yeah, that's how I understood it too. Best dealer in MA is Milford, and not just because they're devoted to keeping their QC in shape, but handle more volume with municipal orders of Leafs and will get allotment priority. If it's a good enough car, I'll be ordering on 9/5, and if I like it when it's delivered, I'll probably lease it. Otherwise there's always the Bolt.

If they can't tell me in September whether I'll get the car in December, January or March, I'll pass on the Leaf - especially if the answer is "March.". Assuming I'm not already driving something else. Nissan has made a big mistake here, and I'm not going to pay for it with a year of my time.

They also fixed their call center script about repaying the 3 free months if you don't buy. As in the contract language below, as long as you cancel within 6 months of the new expiration, there's no repayment. For me, that would be before September, so I'm safe there.

IMG_6589.JPG

Back