Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
Until they actually have them available to drive in upstate NY, I'm not interested in the latest ads.

The BEV version won't be, it's only going to be available in California as a compliance car. Too bad because I was interested in the BEV version since it's so efficient and actually looks like a normal car.

rcm4453 said:
The BEV version ... only going to be available in California as a compliance car...
The Ioniq BEV is sold worldwide in large numbers, and is certainly not designed and sold merely for CARB compliance.

BEVs have started showing up (yes, first ones in CA) today:

https://www.edmunds.com/inventory/srp.html?make=Hyundai&model=Ioniq%20Electric&pageNumber=1&pageSize=10&radius=500&submodelid=Hatchback&year=2017-2017&zip=94555

The article I posted didn't say that it would only be available in California, just that it would first be available here, instead of simultaneously in all the CARB states as was the original plan. It does appear that it will be a compliance car, sold only in those states.

Just drove a Hyundai hybrid Ionic. Very impressive package. It handled the road surprisingly well. The plugin may be in my future.

My local Hyundai dealer says they won't have a BEV Ioniq until September.

Tested the hybrid and it looks nice and drove fine, but a bit lower so you have to kind of drop down into it.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
My local Hyundai dealer says they won't have a BEV Ioniq until September.

Tested the hybrid and it looks nice and drove fine, but a bit lower so you have to kind of drop down into it.
Not only lower to the ground but also a smaller distance from the seat to roof. This was the deal breaker for me as I'd hit my head every time I got into and out of the car :x Of course I have the same thing happen with our '07 Prius but I rarely drive it and have kind of gotten used to it. Note I didn't have this happen with the new Prius Prime, which puts it squarely in our next car group :)

edatoakrun said:
rcm4453 said:
The BEV version ... only going to be available in California as a compliance car...
The Ioniq BEV is sold worldwide in large numbers, and is certainly not designed and sold merely for CARB compliance.

https://www.edmunds.com/inventory/srp.html?make=Hyundai&model=Ioniq%20Electric&pageNumber=1&pageSize=10&radius=500&submodelid=Hatchback&year=2017-2017&zip=94555

Yes it will only be a compliance car here in the U.S. Plus it will only be available in California. Don't believe me? Head on over to Hyundai's website and see for yourself. Only the hybrid and Plug-in hybrid will be available outside California. They were originally going to have the BEV version available nationwide but that has now changed.

rcm4453 said:
edatoakrun said:
rcm4453 said:

Yes it will only be a compliance car here in the U.S. Plus it will only be available in California. Don't believe me? Head on over to Hyundai's website and see for yourself. Only the hybrid and Plug-in hybrid will be available outside California. They were originally going to have the BEV version available nationwide but that has now changed.

Until the 200 mile gen ii Ioniq comes out next year anyway.

jjeff said:
Not only lower to the ground but also a smaller distance from the seat to roof.

I'm sorry this doesn't work for you, but it makes me very happy to hear. I want a lower car, both in ground clearance and in roof height. My Leaf is just plain too tall with several inches of wasted space above my head. All that does is make the car harder to push through the air (killing highway range).

GetOffYourGas said:
jjeff said:

I'm sorry this doesn't work for you, but it makes me very happy to hear. I want a lower car, both in ground clearance and in roof height. My Leaf is just plain too tall with several inches of wasted space above my head. All that does is make the car harder to push through the air (killing highway range).
:) true, if you don't need the height, why push it around. If you like low cars, and are OK with a PHEV, you should check out the Volt....now thats the lowest headroom car I've sat in for a long time! Only way for me to get in is head first and crawl into it :eek: Although it had TONS of leg room, with the seat all the way back I couldn't even touch the pedals! Of course that put the rear of the front seat basically touching the seat of the rear seat :( Almost like the Volt was designed for someone 5' 10" and a 38" inseam :lol:

jjeff said:
GetOffYourGas said:
jjeff said:

:) true, if you don't need the height, why push it around. If you like low cars, and are OK with a PHEV, you should check out the Volt....now thats the lowest headroom car I've sat in for a long time! Only way for me to get in is head first and crawl into it :eek: Although it had TONS of leg room, with the seat all the way back I couldn't even touch the pedals! Of course that put the rear of the front seat basically touching the seat of the rear seat :( Almost like the Volt was designed for someone 5' 10" and a 38" inseam :lol:

I really like the Volt's form factor, personally. Small, low, sporty. I'm just done with gas. I refuse to buy any other car that uses it. I will keep my current PHEV alive as long as possible - hopefully another 10 years - and then I hope to go 100% electric.

rcm4453 said:
edatoakrun said:
rcm4453 said:

Here's what Hyundai's website says: "Currently, Ioniq Electric is only available to California residents." 'Currently' indicates that it will be available elsewhere at a later time, presumably in the other CARB states if not nationwide.

GRA said:
rcm4453 said:
edatoakrun said:

Here's what Hyundai's website says: "Currently, Ioniq Electric is only available to California residents." 'Currently' indicates that it will be available elsewhere at a later time, presumably in the other CARB states if not nationwide.

Let's not assume it will be available nationwide because like most other compliance BEVs it probably won't be. Maybe the next generation IONIQ BEV with 200+ AER will be. Hyundai changed their plan from the IONIQ BEV being available nationwide to only being available in California....why would they change their plan AGAIN and offer it nationwide? If they were planning to do that it would have said on their website that it will be available nationwide but rolled out first in California, like the Bolt EV. In the IEVs article you referenced above it clearly states that the 2017 IONIQ electric will remain a compliance-only offering. Compliance-only BEVs are not usually available nationwide. So perhaps we may see it in other CARB states (although I doubt it) but not nationwide.

rcm4453 said:
GRA said:

Let's not assume it will be available nationwide because like most other compliance BEVs it probably won't be. Maybe the next generation IONIQ BEV with 200+ AER will be. Hyundai changed their plan from the IONIQ BEV being available nationwide to only being available in California....why would they change their plan AGAIN and offer it nationwide? If they were planning to do that it would have said on their website that it will be available nationwide but rolled out first in California, like the Bolt EV. In the IEVs article you referenced above it clearly states that the 2017 IONIQ electric will remain a compliance-only offering. Compliance-only BEVs are not usually available nationwide. So perhaps we may see it in other CARB states (although I doubt it) but not nationwide.
I agree that it may well not be available nationwide (given low BEV sales outside of CARB and a few other states with large subsidies), but think it's virtually guaranteed to be available in CARB states and a few others (Colorado etc.) with relatively large BEV populations. ISTR that the traveling clause expires in 2018?, so companies won't have any choice but offering it in those states, always assuming that the current administration doesn't manage to repeal California's ability to go its own way.

BEV apparently is currently in dealership inventory only in the greater LA area:

Limited availability of Ioniq Electric vehicles at these California dealerships...
https://www.hyundaiusa.com/unlimited-plus#dealers

But at least one report from Massachusetts, that others can order the BEV, and recieve ~June delivery:

http://www.ioniqforum.com/forum/234-hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev/5617-usa-ioniq-electric-arrival-availability-13.html

rcm4453 said:
GRA said:
rcm4453 said:
Let's not assume it will be available nationwide because like most other compliance BEVs it probably won't be. Maybe the next generation IONIQ BEV with 200+ AER will be. Hyundai changed their plan from the IONIQ BEV being available nationwide to only being available in California....why would they change their plan AGAIN and offer it nationwide?

Because it would make sense to offer the BEV version to the entire country? With an increasing interest in EVs here in the United States, it would be pretty stupid of Hyundai to only sell the EV version in California, especially when it would seem to be relatively widely available overseas.

tattoogunman said:

Because it would make sense to offer the BEV version to the entire country? With an increasing interest in EVs here in the United States, it would be pretty stupid of Hyundai to only sell the EV version in California, especially when it would seem to be relatively widely available overseas.

Well tell that to Hyundai, I'm just repeating what I found after a little research. I've read that eventually you might be able to special order the car from your local dealer. It's obvious that Hyundai is not serious about BEVs in the U.S. at this time.

rcm4453 said:
tattoogunman said:

Well tell that to Hyundai, I'm just repeating what I found after a little research. I've read that eventually you might be able to special order the car from your local dealer. It's obvious that Hyundai is not serious about BEVs in the U.S. at this time.

Yeah, I did just now see the little bullet on their site about it currently only being available in California. Oh well....

Right now, I am going to wait out the EV. I'm liking the Bolt, but the new Leaf actually looks pretty nice (based off of the renderings I have seen). Assuming I'm in a good financial spot a year from now, it's going to be between the new Leaf or the Bolt for me.

Back