2013 Leaf SV at 9 bars

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbsteinberg28

Hi I live in South Florida and purchased a used 2013 Leaf SV with a build date of 3/13 with 9 bars remaining my Leaf Spy stats are

SOC=96.4%
AHR=41.73
SOH=63%
HX=57.12
ODO=31,115
QC=0
L1/L2= 6446

am I close to losing the 4th bar as my battery warranty will be up in a year. Thanks

Considering the loss of the 9th bar generally occurs at 42-43.5ahr I'd say you have NOTHING to worry about :)
Do you know the exact in service date? This is the date the 5y/60k warranty starts for the battery. It's not the build date in the door jam, Carfax among other sources lists the in service date, you can also call Nissan.
Zero QCs! Don't think I've ever seen zero, you'd think the dealer would have QC'd it at least once.....

Thanks for the quick reply.
The in service date is 6/2013 and I only have the 3.3/6.6kw charger without the DC QuickCharge Port. Is it normal to see the AHR fall and rise a little its been as low as 41.53 and jumped back up the next day to 41.73 after a Level 2 full charge?

Yes I wouldn't worry about slight variations, you should be seeing that 9th bar drop at any time.

Yeah Nissan sure did make that ninth bar stubborn. Do you think driving the car as much as I can will help to drop it to the 8th bar?
Also do you know what the Hx=57.12 value means in Leaf spy I've noticed mine is higher than some others around my current AHR ? Thanks

Both driving the car, and letting it sit at 100% (especially while hot) will produce degradation. Which tactic is better probably depends on the weather.

As I understand it, Hx is a momentary 'snapshot' of the pack's internal resistance when the reading is taken, while SOH is more like an average of it over X period of time. Hx can move around more, and more often, than SOH.

Someone please correct me if I have the above wrong.

I believe that SOH is basically the present capability of the battery to store energy divided by the capability of a new battery (AHr now divided by AHr new) expressed as a percentage (with a long time lag to minimize the fluctuations). Hx appears to be a percentage that compares the present internal resistance of the battery to a new battery (or really conductance which is the inverse of resistance) and varies more so I suspect it does not have as much long-term averaging in the software. The internal resistance of the battery cells increases over time and eventually reduces the regeneration (especially in colder temperatures and at high SOC).

OP's 2013 with 9 bars showing and a year left on the capacity warranty in a warm climate should easily qualify for a new battery. With plenty of miles left on the warranty, just drive it and charge it as much as possible. Try to discharge down to VLBW (very low battery warning) once in a while to give the LBC (lithium battery controller, also called battery management system or BMS) a chance to update its capacity measurements.

Hi I finally lost the 9th bar today my stats were.

AHR=41.59
SOH=63%
HX=56.90%
ODO31,605 mi
0 QC 6480 L1/L2s

I bought the car used from a dealer a month ago so Im not the original owner and cant take the car in to the dealer until Monday
is there anything that could make me not get approved for a battery replacement. Thanks

kbsteinberg28 said:
Hi I finally lost the 9th bar today my stats were.

AHR=41.59
SOH=63%
HX=56.90%
ODO31,605 mi
0 QC 6480 L1/L2s
Congratulations! It sounds like you timed this purchase perfectly!
kbsteinberg28 said:
I bought the car used from a dealer a month ago so Im not the original owner and cant take the car in to the dealer until Monday
is there anything that could make me not get approved for a battery replacement. Thanks
As jjeff said, you should be fine since this is a MY2013. The best thing is that the new battery should last longer than the original one did.

jjeff said:
Only if the battery has already been replaced, if not you should be good to go :)

Although highly unlikely, even if the battery has been repaired or replaced before, 8 bars at less than 5 years/60k miles still qualifies for repair/replacement now. Warranty terms do not require replacement with new battery, although that is what Nissan has been doing so far. The class action settlement on 2011 and 2012 Leafs requires replacement with current battery technology.

Back