2015: Battery Data Report @ 100% Charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Compare this to the numbers in my signature:

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG

How? Last week it went on a 180 mile trip with 3 QCs on Monday and a 100 mile trip with 1 QC on Tuesday then sat in the garage at 40% from Wednesday to Sunday while I was away. The above is after a full L2 charge on Monday.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Compare this to the numbers in my signature:

View attachment 1

How? Last week it went on a 180 mile trip with 3 QCs on Monday and a 100 mile trip with 1 QC on Tuesday then sat in the garage at 40% from Wednesday to Sunday while I was away. The above is after a full L2 charge on Monday.

so this reading was taken several days after your last significant usage of the car?

This is impressive. My ahr/GIDs are pretty stable but my Hx drops daily between fast charges. Only takes 3 days of light usage to get below 100%

So, how does this work again? How does heavy usage temporarily restore capacity? If a battery degrades, shouldn't it stay degraded? Not that I'm complaining, it just doesn't make sense to me.

I've learned it can fluctuate based on numerous variables. I've seen my 13 go from 81% SOH to 88 then back doen to 81 over the course of a year in a seasonal setting.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
So, how does this work again? How does heavy usage temporarily restore capacity? If a battery degrades, shouldn't it stay degraded? Not that I'm complaining, it just doesn't make sense to me.

lower numbers don't always mean permanent capacity loss. It could simply be poor pack balance. Improving pack balance at the top end means more range, improving it on the low end means more longevity.

So why is this most noticeable during heavy usage? Could be longer charging times, more time to balance?

I dunno. I almost always charge to 100% and my pack is as balanced as it could be. But last week's trips involved QCs from a low SOC to maybe 80% tops, only about 20 minute sessions. Then some highway driving. Somehow, fast flows in and out "undegrades" it? Overcomes the built up resistance, if only temporarily?

DNAinaGoodWay said:
That's because the numbers are just the computer's estimate of capacity. It's not perfect. To do that you need to fully cycle the pack under controlled conditions.

drees said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
That's because the numbers are just the computer's estimate of capacity. It's not perfect. To do that you need to fully cycle the pack under controlled conditions.

So the computer is wrong. That makes sense as the battery pack must be degraded at this point. So, somehow fast flows trick the computer into temporarily reporting restored capacity?

Exactly. I should also clarify my earlier statement - you need external tools to measure capacity, a controlled cycle of the battery won't help the onboard computer. Think of something similar to what the AVTA tests do where they pull the pack and use lab equipment to charge / discharge the pack.

The closest way to do that without pulling the pack is to measure energy from the wall used to charge from a defined setpoint to full, but even that has a decent amount of variance so you have to run a few cycles to get an average.

New to me 2015 Leaf S owner. Recieved 4/10/17
AHr = 54.04
SOH = 87%
Hx = 80.55%
Odo 12,163
QC 67 ( before I got the car)
L1/L2 365 ( I've charged only once on L1 and once on L2 Duosida 16A 240V)
Max Voltage Diff 16mV
Build date 11/14
Georgia, off lease

I just thought I'd post my leafspy lite numbers. This is my 1st post, so go easy on me. My daily route is about 10 miles RT and I smile during the entire drive. I also registered for an ez-charge card and found out I qualify for No-Charge-toCharge.

brooklynboy said:
AHr = 54.04
SOH = 87%
Hx = 80.55%
Odo 12,163
Max Voltage Diff 16mV
Build date 11/14
Georgia, off lease

I just thought I'd post my leafspy lite numbers. This is my 1st post, so go easy on me. My daily route is about 10 miles RT and I smile during the entire drive. I also registered for an ez-charge card and found out I qualify for No-Charge-toCharge.

Congrats on the car. Seems like a low SOH for a 2015 in the north. It's the same as my 2014 S that's spent its life in Atlanta and South Florida. Probably due to all the quick charges.

Still - It will accomodate your 10 mile commute until cars fly.

How do you qualify for No-Charge to Charge?

The low SOH made me nervous, but real range is 65 miles to SOC 25% and 3 yrs left on warranty.

I requested a ez-charge card because the car didn't have one. When I registered, it requests which dealer and I selected my nearest dealer. I also choose evgo as my provider because the have the most stations around me. It redirects to evgo site for credit card info, which i filled out. I called in to check which plan I was on and they said NIssan NCTC with charges only for Qc's over 30min and L2 over 1hr( requested email confirmation). They send a bill once a month by email, but you have no way to check online according to evgo . I checked the Nissan NCTC pdf requirements :
Short Description: 24 months of complimentary public charging with the purchase or lease of a new model year 2013 or
later Nissan LEAF from a participating dealer located in select markets during such select market’s designated
purchase/lease period outlined in the chart below. Fleet customers not eligible.

I must have selected a participating dealer and got enrolled. My VIN was required for registration, along with make & year. It may be different for other suppliers of EZ-charge , I only registered EVGO.

webb14leafs said:
brooklynboy said:
AHr = 54.04
SOH = 87%
Hx = 80.55%
Odo 12,163
Max Voltage Diff 16mV
Build date 11/14
Georgia, off lease

Congrats on the car. Seems like a low SOH for a 2015 in the north. It's the same as my 2014 S that's spent its life in Atlanta and South Florida. Probably due to all the quick charges.

Still - It will accomodate your 10 mile commute until cars fly.

How do you qualify for No-Charge to Charge?

its good for 2 years and he has a 2015 which could be less than 2 years old

Don't think I have updated in a while. SOH is really starting to go downhill, at this rate I may lose my first bar before the end of 2017. Still thinking I will buy out the lease this year since NMAC is offering a rather good discount and the short range does work for us.

2015 Leaf S w/QC leased Dec. 2014 (Georgia)
Miles 26,264
GIDs 266
kWh 20.6
SOC 97.2
SOH 91
Hx 86.15
AHr 56.62
Avg Batt Temp 82.6
# QCs 51
GOM at full 92

These are my numbers for mine. I bought it a year ago with 8,500 miles on the clock.

Date: 7/6/2014
Mileage:27,468
GIDs:268
kWh:20.8
SOC:97.3%
SOH:91%
HX:87%
Ahr:57.04
Avg Battery Temp:72.9

Numbers looking up since the warmth is creeping in.

I'm loving every minute of it, and it will always be my work car. If we get rid of our V8 Merc SUV, it will have to be for a Model X, but the price is a bit more than what we would like to spend on a grocery getter for a stay at home mom. It's paid for and we put 5,000 miles on it a year, so why bother. We use the Leaf for everything.

Most recent numbers from my 2015 S. MFG 4/14 (3 years old now). Purchased in 8/14. Currently 47K miles.

267 Gids
20.69 kwh
85.58 SOH
86.33 HX
56.70 Air
72 degrees

Feeling pretty good about the numbers for the mileage and age of the car. About a 9% drop in real world range.

AHr = 54.04
SOH = 87%
Hx = 80.55%
Odo 12,163
Max Voltage Diff 16mV
Build date 11/14
Georgia, off lease

6/16/17 update
AHr = 55.62
SOH = 89%
Hx = 84.08%
Odo 12,966
QC 68
L1/L2 379
Max Voltage Diff 16mV

I suspect that the car sat for awhile not be used and battery improved after being used for normal operation.

Back