30,000 mile checkup on Leaf: recommended repairs $11053.88

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RonDawg said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
You could buy another used 2011 for a parts car and have money left over.

For $11k you could buy another, newer, Leaf with more capacity left and nothing broken.
Indeed. OP may be best off dumping his Leaf when it's no longer tolerable and getting a replacement for $11K or less instead of pouring that $ into his current car. I was going to use a few others words to describe it... but I think the OP knows them already. ;)

These might be interesting references for the OP.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?sort=priceasc&auto_make_model=nissan%20leaf&max_auto_year=2013&min_auto_year=2013
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/cta?sort=priceasc&auto_make_model=nissan+leaf&min_auto_year=2014&max_auto_year=2014

I received a flyer from the local Nissan dealer last week indicating my vehicle "may" be due for an oil change. Luckily there were coupons. This is the only (and last) Nissan I will ever own. The treatment I have received from Nissan since the early adopter purchase of my Leaf is intolerable. I have owned a new Audi, Mercedes, and a Genesis since buying the Leaf. And a Toyota Sienna. Amazing customer responsiveness. #NeverNissan.

Dealer integrity notwithstanding, this is one of the main reasons why I have had significant reservations going EV. Everyone talks about the cost savings and all of that with these cars. However, if you are someone who plans on keeping these things indefinitely, you can begin to see the long term costs associated with them. Now this isn't to say that an ICE car cannot generate high repair costs either, so don't get me wrong. However, at least with an ICE car you can take it to pretty much any shop to get work done. How many independent shops are going to want to mess with an EV? Especially if they do not have the software, hardware, tools, and knowledge to work on them? In either case, eleven grand seems awfully high. I worked in a VW dealership briefly and I think the only time we ever gave someone an estimate that high was when they brought in an 80's era Cabrio that had been sitting in a field that the owner wanted "fixed up" for his daughter to drive.

Like others have already said, for that kind of money you can buy a relatively newer used one with money left over - at least where I am at anyway. There are always '13, '14, and '15 models for sale for around $10K. Again, the OP may represent an extreme case here, but I think it does highlight the potential long term costs of ownership for an EV. This is what I keep telling Tesla people - imagine what that's going to start costing years down the road once the warranty is up ;)

I agree with everyone else though - I'd sell that car to someone for a few grand and pick up a newer one (assuming they wanted another Leaf).

tattoogunman said:
Dealer integrity notwithstanding, this is one of the main reasons why I have had significant reservations going EV. Everyone talks about the cost savings and all of that with these cars. However, if you are someone who plans on keeping these things indefinitely, you can begin to see the long term costs associated with them. Now this isn't to say that an ICE car cannot generate high repair costs either, so don't get me wrong. However, at least with an ICE car you can take it to pretty much any shop to get work done. How many independent shops are going to want to mess with an EV? Especially if they do not have the software, hardware, tools, and knowledge to work on them? In either case, eleven grand seems awfully high. I worked in a VW dealership briefly and I think the only time we ever gave someone an estimate that high was when they brought in an 80's era Cabrio that had been sitting in a field that the owner wanted "fixed up" for his daughter to drive.

Like others have already said, for that kind of money you can buy a relatively newer used one with money left over - at least where I am at anyway. There are always '13, '14, and '15 models for sale for around $10K. Again, the OP may represent an extreme case here, but I think it does highlight the potential long term costs of ownership for an EV. This is what I keep telling Tesla people - imagine what that's going to start costing years down the road once the warranty is up ;)

I agree with everyone else though - I'd sell that car to someone for a few grand and pick up a newer one (assuming they wanted another Leaf).

Not saying we're there now, but there are independent EV repair shops opening up. They're currently few and far between (there's 2 within 30 miles of me), but they'll come up, AND they only need to service the powertrain. Everything else about the car can be serviced by your regular mechanic - I took my 2013 leaf to my regular mechanic to service the AC when it suffered a leak.

Totally out there, but I have put a portable 5 gallon plastic water tote in the back seat between the kids filled with 120F water. The kids really liked it and it was amazing how much heat it added to the car when it sat outside (at 0F) for an hour and then we got back in again.

brycenesbitt said:
I went in for a 30,000 mile checkup at the local dealer, and they recommend $11053.88 in repairs.

Hi Bycenesbitt,

what state are you in? and which dealer is this?

This issue totally depends on when and how much the original poster bought the car for.... If he paid a lot for it recently, then they need to go after the seller for selling a real dud car. Looks like he only put 5000K miles on the car..... BUT IN HOW MUCH TIME.... If the car had 11 bars 4-5 years ago, maybe having 8 bars is to be expected.. The Leaf is not a car for an occasional driver.... It is best used by a driver that pounds the crap out of the car daily. Occasional driving only lets the battery degrade without getting useful miles on it....

If he is the original owner, or just bought it at a fire sale price, I would say you own it...., and drive it AS IS, until the Main battery is terrible. Then decide if you want to keep the electric car for basic transportation. I have had cars with no heat, which were still useful. I would also suspect that some mechanic could find a bargain heater and fuses from a junk yard and install the parts for a regular price.

What I don't understand that if the Poster has "the fuse in their hand", that means that he has had the laborious job of removing them already done, and then they should have just replaced the fuses...????

This situation doesn't sound right..

I'm in California, dealer is in Oakland California.

But the real fault is with Nissan putting the heater fuse inside a glued shut box, burred about as deep as it could be. Here in fact is the blown fuse:
34738941095_ce0b97a005_z.jpg

See https://www.flickr.com/photos/10105026@N07/sets/72157681804352481/

BrockWI said:
Totally out there, but I have put a portable 5 gallon plastic water tote in the back seat between the kids filled with 120F water. The kids really liked it and it was amazing how much heat it added to the car when it sat outside (at 0F) for an hour and then we got back in again.

Interesting idea. I hope you secured that tote, though. 40lbs of unsecured load could cause a lot of damage to your kids in an accident.

DanCar said:
Which dealer?

Using the OP's statement that the dealership is in Oakland, CA and Nissan's own dealer finder, there is only one dealer within the Oakland city limits, and that's Autocom Nissan: http://www.autocomnissanofoakland.com/

However, Nissan of San Leandro (also an Autocom dealership) is a possibility, as their auto row is very close to the Oakland border.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
tattoogunman said:

Not saying we're there now, but there are independent EV repair shops opening up. They're currently few and far between (there's 2 within 30 miles of me), but they'll come up, AND they only need to service the powertrain. Everything else about the car can be serviced by your regular mechanic - I took my 2013 leaf to my regular mechanic to service the AC when it suffered a leak.

Totally agree and I think they are the smart ones. This tech, assuming it becomes the norm, is going to require the entire automotive industry to adapt or die.

BrockWI said:
Interesting idea. Let's say that you want your car cabin at 60F during cold weather, then if your water starts at 120F the water changes temperature by 60F. Water weighs 8.34 pounds/gallon, so 5 gallons is 41.7 pounds. Then by definition the heat given up is 41.7 * 60 = 2500 BTUs.

2500 BTUs equals 0.73 kWh, so you've saved about 3 miles worth of battery charge. Maybe more like 5 miles, given the overhead of heating the coolant loop and the heat losses that occurs in the coolant loop outside the cabin. Of course, the extra 42 pound of weight has a range penalty.

Cheers, Wayne

It seems a newer model c/w heat pump may be the way to go.
Too bad the Leaf is designed to be such a disposable car. Hope it didn't cost a lot for diagnostics etc.

It should be possible to sell an EV with no working heater in SoCal. Adding the hardwired inverter and ceramic heaters as I suggested would also raise the resale value in locales like that, where heat is nice occasionally but not vital.

brycenesbitt said:
Ouch.
I went in for a 30,000 mile checkup at the local dealer, and they recommend $11053.88 in repairs. This for a 2011 Leaf that's in fine condition, and never lived in a hot environment. $1500 or so is to replace the heater, $3000 to replace the heater fuse which is hard to change, and $5400 (all plus tax) for a new battery.

The battery sits at 8 bars on the capacity meter, and while the Guess O Meter often says 65-70 miles, the real world range is more like 35 miles.
Anyone else had one this bad?

I quoted your message and emailed Nissan. (you know, the "recently, my friend ......." style.)
A rep called me back today. Basically they have no control over Dealer markup on components after warranty. However, he recommended me to "tell you friend to call up Nissan EV Customer Affair, to see what Nissan can help on out of warranty support for this case". Because, of course, he can not discuss the detail with someone other than the car owner.

best regards

Back