2012 Leaf SL?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be surprised if they decide they are flexible on price after it sits on their lot for a while. FWIW, I prefer the electric parking brake and had no problems at all in 3-1/2 years with the 2011. The foot pedal is much less convenient and it has needed repair or adjustment every time I take the car in (free 6-month inspection and each annual battery check so far).

I have the luxury of not needing a car (we actually have too many right now), so I plan to let then sit on it for awhile. It's hard to believe, but they actually raised their asking price by almost $1000 over night. I'd be really surprised it they sell it anytime soon!
Then again, I've been surprised more than once in the last few years....

The foot pedal is much less convenient and it has needed repair or adjustment every time I take the car in (free 6-month inspection and each annual battery check so far).

Mine has either been adjusted once in four years, or not at all. And I always use it.

Wow! You have gotten FREE 6 month services???..... Sounds like you have gotten a good deal on that manual E brake..

PS - The Foot operated emergency brake has been reliably in use for over 60 years and it is a good system... I use it every time I stop the car, and no problems.. The trick is not to stamp on it so hard that you put it though the floor. That is when you damage the mechanicals.

I received 1 free 6-month inspection and 2 free annual battery checks. I felt a snap in the pedal before 6 months like something slipped or some cable strands broke. It was fixed supposedly by adjusting the cable. Either the cable is continuing to stretch or something else is happening to require adjustment at each annual battery check. I apply the brake just firm enough to hold the car, but that may be firmer than most people press on the pedal. The electric module applied the parking brake very firmly in the 2011 and never required service.

Some cables stretch a lot more than others. I owned two mercury Tracers (Mazda 323 drivetrain with different, actually better Ford bodies) in the Nineties, and the fuel filler release cables on those seemed to have been made of chewing gum. I had to adjust them several times a year.

Sooo..., back to the cars!
I found this one near me for about $1800 less than the other dealer is asking. It's another 2012 SL which I haven't seen it in person, but has about 38K miles on it and a clean carfax. Salesmen sent me pictures of the carfax and the health report that he just got from the Nissan dealer. It spent almost all it's life here in the Pacific Northwest, except for a short trip (about 5 months) to Italy? Not sure what that's all about.
I would attach pictures if I knew how on this board.
On the battery report, it shows a range of 82 miles and 11 bars, and it says "your score is very high and good for your battery" in every area.

11 bars is good for a 2012 with 38k miles. The rest of the information on the report is just to make the driver feel good. The range is just what the GOM (guess-O-meter or distance to empty, DTE as Nissan calls it) would display.

To put the report you received in perspective, I have received really good marks on some annual reports and lower scores on others. I received low marks for frequent topping off of battery on one report for the 2011 after using the climate control timer before leaving for work all "winter" (climate control timer use or remote activation while plugged in increments the L1/L2 charge count each time it is used). I received low marks for frequent DCQC on the report this year for the 2015 because I was taking advantage of the NCTC program before it expired even though I had less than 50 QCs in 2 years. There is no language in the warranty terms about low or high scores on the test, just requirement to have the test performed annually. The main purpose of the report is for Nissan to collect detailed battery information.

The kind of climate in which the first version of the Leaf pack does ok is where it's almost always cool or cold. As long as you understand that a single hot Summer can cause it to drop another bar, the 2012 might be fine. Also keep in mind that it will lose bars even with perfect weather, as that chemistry degrades more over time alone than later versions.

So neither of those cars panned out. I'm going down to Olympia, WA tomorrow to look at a 2013 SV which sounds promising. Late 2013 build date, but no back up camera or LED headlights, but gaining the 6.6 Kw charger and heat pump. Any thoughts or comments?
http://www.toyotaofolympia.com/used-Olympia-2013-Nissan-Leaf-S-1N4AZ0CP7DC418438

Make sure that all recall work has been done, especially if it's a Nissan dealer. Otherwise they may not be able to release the car until it's been completed.

No, it's a Toyota dealer. Although it does come with a lifetime powertrain warranty! I don't know what they consider the powertrain, but I'm sure it's not the battery pack!

I think one with a heat pump is a better choice for you because it will use much less battery power for defrost. I hope the 2013 works out for you. Also, the 6kW charger is really handy for charging to run more errands in the evening.

Yeah, installing the 240 Volt plug is the next challenge. It's already wired inside the garage, so that's really not a big deal. Just need the breakers and plug and the charger cable. The problem is there are two garage queens taking up permanent residence in there; a 1998 SL500 and a 1973 Avanti II, so getting in there to use it is going to be the dilemma.
I knew I should have made the shop bigger!

Garage queens are why I route the EVSE cable under the door to the LEAF in the driveway every night (almost 6 years now). Of course, the battery has a better chance to cool off outside, but you won't have that concern.

Well, I bought it. The dealer was ready to take it to auction and I got them to drop the price to $7000. Leaf spy shows it has 85 soh, so probably ready to drop it's first bar. Other then that, looks great!

It's one of those rare times this weekend. I just drove it 35 miles on the freeway at 65 all the way from the dealership, and it's 85 outside. Probably a bit of an acid test for it. It was at about 60% charge when I left, now at about 20%. Should I wait to put it on the charger? I have to go check what the battery pack temp is.

warrenc said:
It's one of those rare times this weekend. I just drove it 35 miles on the freeway at 65 all the way from the dealership, and it's 85 outside. Probably a bit of an acid test for it. It was at about 60% charge when I left, now at about 20%. Should I wait to put it on the charger? I have to go check what the battery pack temp is.

Wait if you can, especially if the night will be cool. If I get just below 20% I'll charge for an hour on L-1 to bring it back over 20%, then let it cool until the next day, if possible. Again, though, the temp "gauge" reading matters a lot.

warrenc said:

Did you get the white 2013 SV in the link you posted from the Toyota dealer which they listed as a 2013S? If so, I see from the interior photos that it is at 11 capacity bars which matches your Leaf Spy SOH percentage. The tire wear of the Bridgestone Ecopias looks commensurate with 32k miles. I don't see the portable Nissan EVSE in any of the photos, I hope you received it. It looks like a nice car--enjoy.

As far as charging is concerned, L1 or L2 does not raise battery temperature significantly so charge without worrying unless battery temperature is 8 bars or higher (not likely in your climate). If you will not be driving for a while, you can delay charging so that it reaches full charge shortly before you plan to drive. It is best to have SOC between 30% and 70% if the car will be parked for extended time such as when you are out of town for several days.

Back