Official Southern California Edison thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of yesterday the California ISO had curtailed (shut down) 242.9GWh of renewable power this year, mostly solar, due to over-generation.

I figure that's almost a billion EV miles.

GregH said:
As of yesterday the California ISO had curtailed (shut down) 242.9GWh of renewable power this year, mostly solar, due to over-generation.

I figure that's almost a billion EV miles.
If correct, that's closer to a trillion EV miles with an efficient EV... Are you sure that figure isn't in MWh? EDIT: GregH is correct - one billion EV miles

SGIP (California's "Self Generation Incentive Program") is a nice try, and it will help stimulate the market for battery-based storage to soak up a small fraction of "off peak" PV generation. However, a longer term solution would be to institute electric rates that are market based in real time, as an alternative to today's fixed TOU periods and rate schedules. That would send the necessary market signals to shift consumption (and battery charging) to periods when there's "excess" renewable generation. This wouldn't be as sweet a deal for consumers as NEM 1.0, of course, but ultimately we'll need a more sustainable plan for adding renewables to the grid.

GRA said:
So, to answer abasile's question, add three zeros to convert MWh to kWh, then multiply by say 4mi./kWh gives about a billion miles.
Sorry for the mistake, GregH, "GWh" was correct! 250GWh * 1000000kWh/GWh * 4mi/kWh = 1 billion miles

:oops:

I was making the mistake of converting to Wh (instead of kWh) and then multiplying by 4...

The "Tesla way" of expressing efficiency in terms of Wh/mile isn't bad. Keeps the units slightly simpler. ;)

No worries, I had to run the numbers a few times just for sanity. The scale is daunting.

My new Volt shows total daily kWh and mileage and I find myself constantly converting to mi/kWh in my head as that's what I'm used to from the Leaf. But yeah back in the old days (EV1) we always talked in terms of Wh/mi.

abasile said:
I have 360W (DC) panels with micro-inverters that max out at 320W (AC). I've noticed that some of the panels are now reaching the maximum 320W by roughly 10:30am, well before solar noon (~ 1pm). Even in mid March, I was seeing panels reach the max of 320W. This makes me wonder if perhaps the micro-inverters are a bit under-sized.
I'm now thinking that perhaps our micro-inverters (and inverters in other systems) may have been sized with the expectation of somewhat warm panel temperatures during the months with maximum sunshine. However, our moderate latitude, elevated mountain location (about 1870m above MSL, 34 degrees North) often gives us access to exceptionally intense solar radiation relative to our temperatures. (I was counting on this to offset at least a fraction of the production that we're "losing" to shading.)

This week, our PV production is noticeably lower than last week, roughly 7% less energy per day. We're no longer hitting the max of 320W at each micro inverter. The only significant factor seems to be the temperature and wind. Last week, our daytime highs were in the ballpark of 10C, with somewhat high winds that undoubtedly helped keep the panels quite cool. This week, we are seeing highs in the range of 20-25C, with little wind. So the panels are certainly getting quite a bit warmer, and thus producing less. As a result, the micro inverters don't appear to be "clipping" our output.

By the way, our SGIP application for the Powerwall 2 was conditionally approved for "Step 1", the largest possible rebate amount. :D So we are looking forward to installation in June, or perhaps later if Tesla ends up further behind schedule on Powerwall deliveries.

abasile said:
By the way, our SGIP application for the Powerwall 2 was conditionally approved for "Step 1", the largest possible rebate amount. :D So we are looking forward to installation in June, or perhaps later if Tesla ends up further behind schedule on Powerwall deliveries.

Cool! Congrats.
I've heard the PW2 cannot export to the grid.

Does anyone know if this is a software issue like Schneider SW inverters that monitor AC in and add current to cover (but not exceed) loads? Or like Magnum which actually switch out the grid and run the loads on inverter alone? I'm still trying to understand why the Schneider SW series seems to be software limited whereas their higher end XW 5.5 and 6.8kW inverters can export.

Pardon me if this is repeat information on this recently very active thread.

I just learned of a new EV rebate program that is being offered by SCE, and also one that SDG&E offers.

I've known for some months that PG&E offers a rebate of $500 to EV owners in their service region. I just heard this evening that SCE has a new program called Clean Fuel Rewards program. This program offers $450 for each EV that you own or lease.
SDG&E also offers a rebate program, which I think offers $50 per year to EV owners.

I applied this evening to SCE for rebates for our two EVs.

Here are the links to the programs at the two So Cal public utilities.

https://www.scecleanfuel.com/

https://www.sdge.com/clean-energy/electric-vehicle-climate-credit

Boomer23 said:
I've known for some months that PG&E offers a rebate of $500 to EV owners in their service region. I just heard this evening that SCE has a new program called Clean Fuel Rewards program. This program offers $450 for each EV that you own or lease.
SDG&E also offers a rebate program, which I think offers $50 per year to EV owners.
Thank you so much for passing this along! Without really checking into it, I had previously assumed that this program was only for new EV purchasers, not for people like us who already own their EVs. But it's apparently for all EV owners/lessors in their service areas!

I'll pass this along to some friends who are on the fence about purchasing their first EV.

You're very welcome.

And amazingly, the SCE program allows the same EV to be awarded the $450 credit up to THREE TIMES in its life, if it changes hands and is registered to new owners who are SCE customers.

Boomer23 said:
Pardon me if this is repeat information on this recently very active thread.

I just learned of a new EV rebate program that is being offered by SCE,

Thanks Phil! But obviously, it being me, I'm having issues.

First of all the application for the 2011 LEAF is not showing $450 reserved, maybe because there was an error when I tried to file the application? Yet the application was filed because I tried to do it over and it said that an application already existed??? I hate it when web sites don't work properly! :x

Then, of course, it wasn't explained adequately WHO should apply for the rebate and, since my wife is the account holder with SCE, I applied for the LEAF in her name when she isn't on the registration at all. Then afterwards I read the FAQ and the rebate has to be requested by the name of the person on the registration. :x

Then I applied for the Volt and, although my wife IS on the registration for it, I misspelled her name. And, of course, there is no way to go back in and edit an existing application. :x

I guess I'm going to be calling their help line on Monday.

I'm excited about the rebate, but not entirely sure I'll get anything the way it stands right now. :(

Edit: Well maybe it's not as bad as I see it in my head. Item 4 on the FAQ: "If the customer name entered on the application does not match the name shown on the vehicle registration card exactly, SCE may edit the applicant’s name to match that on the vehicle registration card."

Edit 2: But then item 5 says: "Incomplete or incorrect applications will not be processed. Applications must include all required information, including documentation of vehicle registration and documentation of the registration fees paid. Important Note: The name and address on the Application must match exactly the name and address of at least one person listed on the vehicle registration card, or your application may be rejected."

So which is it???? ARGH!

Edit 3: On the plus side, this program is being administered by the CSE, so I'm quite confident that we'll get this sorted out. Or at least have a better chance than if it was SCE or the State administering it.

Argh, Mike, sorry to hear that.

We have Carol's Bolt registered to her, so I applied in her name for that car. My i3 is in my name, so I applied in my name for that one. I did have a bit of concern about whether I should create two separate accounts, but I ended up using just my account. I think that part is fine (I hope).

I didn't realize that the CSE is adminstering this. That's reassuring, as you say.

mwalsh said:
First of all the application for the 2011 LEAF is not showing $450 reserved, maybe because there was an error when I tried to file the application? Yet the application was filed because I tried to do it over and it said that an application already existed??? I hate it when web sites don't work properly! :x
I had the exact same issue with our 2011 LEAF, so I emailed [email protected] and explained. We'll see if they respond.

In my email, I also pointed out that our car registration mailing address doesn't exactly match our SCE service address because the Postal Service doesn't provide home delivery in our mountain community; we have to use a PO box. Mail addressed to only our physical street address unfortunately gets returned to the sender. Hopefully CSE will understand! (Thankfully, UPS, FedEx, and virtually all other private carriers do deliver straight to our home. Consequently, we use USPS as little as possible.)

abasile said:
I had the exact same issue with our 2011 LEAF, so I emailed [email protected] and explained. We'll see if they respond.

I did get an email on the LEAF that read; "Thank you for your application to the Clean Fuel Rewards Program (CFRP). We are pleased to inform you that we are reserving a rebate amount of $450 for the following vehicle...". I'm sure you got the same? It would just let me sleep easier if i saw that $450 noted as reserved on the web site.

Honestly I'm pleasantly surprised these older EVs are still valid for new perks.

Well, as anticipated the folks from the CSE were pretty quick to get this sorted out for us - they corrected the spelling error on Naomi's application and on the one for my LEAF they made it ineligible so I could apply again under my own name.

However, it's apparent that 200 more applications have been received since I first applied on Friday, since my old application number was 00340 and my new one 00544.

Got the same error again when applying for my LEAF and still not showing any funds reserved on the website, though I got that same email again saying they were.

Back