LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in 2011 when I first ordered my LEAF I thought a longer range version would be out in 2016. Then it was 2017, now 2018...maybe. So I'm not holding my breath. Still, by whatever time it's available, so will be the Bolt and the Model 3, possibly others, with competitive range and pricing. I remain hopeful that the Chevy and Tesla competition will make all three vehicles better than they otherwise would have been.

Since LEAF models newer than my 2012 offer me little benefit and even the range of a 2017 is insufficient to replace my ICE vehicle, I am indeed looking to Gen2, whenever it and its competitors arrive.

As to pricing, I think Chevy, Tesla, and Nissan have to be careful about going wild because of competition. And in my mind, one of the serious competitors is a 2- to 3-year-old Model S. Given that the S is the amazing vehicle that it is, I'm not overlooking the possibility of replacing my 2012 LEAF with a, for example, 2014 or so Model S, if none of the newer models tickles my fancy. To me, this tickling will likely be worth $15k-$20k price difference and becomes even more attractive if the Bolt, 3, or Gen2 LEAF are priced so high as to be even closer to the used S.

So goes my ruminations as of today...all goes out the window as the facts change.

On this forum, Most people here already have a Leaf. I would not trade my car in for the new one, no matter what. It would be a foolish expenditure of money. Anyone who disagree with this, I would be happy to debate the issue.

I was not aware that the new Leaf is going to be $7-10K more!!! Darn!!! If that is the case, then I would definitely NOT BUY A 2018 Leaf!!! Electric car prices that high.... Prices out the car from most people in terms of price, AND utility. Above $40K electric car price tags (like the Bolt) will effectively Kill the electric car out of existence.... I can debate this also....

I'm not committed to Leaf but am holding out until the end of the year when multiple options are on the table to choose from. Although the wife did just lease the 2016 through Jan 2019 we are not in a bind to get another vehicle unless our hybrid significantly breaks down. we may just wait till when her lease is up and hope by then 200+ mile electric suvs cost around the price of today's Bolt.

An update to the teaser shot of the new Leaf released by Nissan in the past 24 hours has been posted by insideeves.com.
In an interview in Norway to mark the 30,000 Leaf sold in that country, a senior Nissan executive has confirmed the reveal date, place and time for the new Nissan Leaf as September 6th in Tokyo at a special event.

Also, he mentions that the new Leaf is a completely new design. There is no carryover from the current generation.
Nothing else interesting in the story.

Link to story:
http://insideevs.com/next-gen-2018-nissan-leaf-to-debut-september-6th-details/

109 days and a few hours to go...

Like other posters before me, I already own a Leaf. With its degraded battery, it gets me about 60 miles per charge. 30 in the dead of winter. A 2017 Leaf might get me 100/75 miles in the summer/winter. That buys me next to no extra utility. I would use the extra range maybe 4-5 times a year, instead of taking the hybrid like I currently do.

By contrast, a 200 mile range with decent DCQC lets me take the car for inter-city regional travel. I drive about 250-300 miles (each way) on average twice a month. The combination of much greater range and available DCQC allows me to take the EV on those more common trips (at least during fair weather). So for me, it's a no-brainer. The 2017 Leaf isn't even on my radar.

And then there is the issue of styling. The Leaf is the ugliest car I've ever owned. I bought it despite its looks because it was the only EV available to me in 2012. (Ok, the i-Miev was available too, but that's even worse!).

I know that the Bolt fits my needs. I know that the Model 3 will fit my needs too. The Leaf 2.0 probably will eventually fit my needs. I am personally waiting until I can test drive all three (Bolt done, still waiting on Tesla/Nissan). Until then, I will happily continue to drive my current Leaf.

Direct link to Insideeves' Source:

https://www.tu.no/artikler/hold-av-datoen-6-september-lanserer-nissan-andre-generasjon-leaf/382924

geefish said:
An update to the teaser shot of the new Leaf released by Nissan in the past 24 hours has been posted by insideeves.com...

Link to story:

geefish said:
An update to the teaser shot of the new Leaf released by Nissan in the past 24 hours has been posted by insideeves.com.
In an interview in Norway to mark the 30,000 Leaf sold in that country, a senior Nissan executive has confirmed the reveal date, place and time for the new Nissan Leaf as September 6th in Tokyo at a special event.

Also, he mentions that the new Leaf is a completely new design. There is no carryover from the current generation.
Nothing else interesting in the story.

Link to story:

The worst part of anticipating an event in September is that it gives me a subtle urge to wish the summer went by faster. And that's just not right!

edatoakrun said:
Direct link to Insideeves' Source:

https://www.tu.no/artikler/hold-av-datoen-6-september-lanserer-nissan-andre-generasjon-leaf/382924

geefish said:
An update to the teaser shot of the new Leaf released by Nissan in the past 24 hours has been posted by insideeves.com...

Link to story:

A link to the Google translated version:

https://translate.google.com/transl...issan-andre-generasjon-leaf/382924&edit-text=

Had a good laugh when reading this part:

Thus useful idiots like us in Technical Weekly Magazine and others who write about electric cars will keep interest in the weeks until launch.

Don't hold your breath for the Tesla...

Tesla is, in comparison, a microbrewery in the car field. They will never have the cash to roll our any significant number of cars, especially at that low price.... IMVeryHO, Tesla is all hype, and the marketing of a new Tesla (for $35K) is like being told that you can buy a Lambo for the price of a Cadillac...

powersurge said:

Tesla is, in comparison, a microbrewery in the car field. They will never have the cash to roll our any significant number of cars, especially at that low price.... IMVeryHO, Tesla is all hype, and the marketing of a new Tesla (for $35K) is like being told that you can buy a Lambo for the price of a Cadillac...
I'd somewhat agree, but wouldn't really say it around here ;) Lots of people are holding out hope that the Tesla will be the holy grail. Don't get me wrong, I'd also like it if it turned out that way, just not holding out as much hope as many on MNL :)
If/when the Model 3 comes out my guess is we're talking years, not months for the average person to get hold one(at least for the list price). Of course, I have no inside info, just going off my gut and what Tesla has done in the past.

There are already several topics on this. How about using one of those? This topic is already 'damaged' by one person "assuming" that Leaf 2 will be $7-10k more, when Nissan is going to try for the same MSRP as now.

powersurge said:
If you have to be wrong, at least you play humble.

The problem is that you are not humble. A modest person would have put down a $1000 reservation so that they could own the car if Tesla lives up to its promises in return for a $30 gamble of lost bank interest if Tesla disappoints. So instead you get to live a self-fulfilling prophecy wherein you miss out for sure because you are at the back of the line.

martik777 said:
Is anyone holding off acquiring a Leaf in anticipation of the 60kwh 2018 model?
Tesla Model 3.

I doubt the LEAF-2 will be 60 kwh, will likely be less car and poorer value than the upcoming Tesla, and most certainly will not have the Supercharger network. Since I have to own at least one car that can travel long distance the 200 mile + crappy DCFC alternatives are not on my shopping list.

powersurge said:

I'm in no rush. I am assuming that Tesla will either produce the Model 3, or go under. I don't see a third option at this point. Whether one will every be sold for $35k is anyone's guess, but I'd still like to test drive whatever is available.

LeftieBiker said:
There are already several topics on this. How about using one of those?

This thread is about thoughts on a 2018 Leaf. Considering its alternatives / competitors is not off topic.

LeftieBiker said:
This topic is already 'damaged' by one person "assuming" that Leaf 2 will be $7-10k more, when Nissan is going to try for the same MSRP as now.

I'm sorry, but MSRP is $7-10k more than you can buy a 2017 Leaf for today. Have you seen the discounts Nissan is offering? That's above and beyong the tax credit. Heck, I got $5k off MSRP on my 2012 in addition to the $7500 tax credit.

LeftieBiker wrote:
There are already several topics on this. How about using one of those?

This thread is about thoughts on a 2018 Leaf. Considering its alternatives / competitors is not off topic.

I'm not complaining that it's off-topic. I'm complaining that it's another duplicative (?) topic about the Leaf 2. I do concede your point on the $7-10 more. I read that as the MSRP being that much higher, but that isn't what was actually written. Anyway, I'm going to stay with one of the two or so topics already in use.

LeftieBiker said:
There are already several topics on this. How about using one of those? This topic is already 'damaged' by one person "assuming" that Leaf 2 will be $7-10k more, when Nissan is going to try for the same MSRP as now.
I agree w/all of the above.

Mods: Please merge this with one of the existing threads. We don't need another.

martik777 said:
Is anyone holding off acquiring a Leaf in anticipation of the 60kwh 2018 model?

Assuming it will cost 7-10k more, I don't know if it is worth it. If your daily mileage is within the 24/30kwh range why lug around that extra weight. I guess it relieves some range anxiety and is a good buffer against battery degradation.

that would put the cost into the mid to high 20's. Well worth it, I think

https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/

Frankly, I don't believe that, and actually hope it isn't true. If I decide to order a Leaf 2 without driving one, it will have to use the existing car as the basis for the redesign. If it really is all new, I'll probably lease a Bolt - which by then should be ironed out. Someone else can beta test the all-new Leaf.

LeftieBiker said:

Frankly, I don't believe that, and actually hope it isn't true. If I decide to order a Leaf 2 without driving one, it will have to use the existing car as the basis for the redesign. If it really is all new, I'll probably lease a Bolt - which by then should be ironed out. Someone else can beta test the all-new Leaf.

Logic fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back