Nissan Replaced my Battery after Warranty Expiration

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to report this in case others are in the same boat I was.

I purchased my used 2011 Leaf in March of 2016. In January of this year, I decided to get a battery test performed at my local Nissan dealership because I was concerned about the bars I had lost and the battery was only charging to about 60 miles.

The report showed that my battery had degraded to the point that it could have been replaced if it was still under warranty. However, I had miscalculated when the warranty expired. It actually expired last October, based on when my Leaf was originally sold.

The dealership advised me that they would see if Nissan would replace the battery anyway under their "Goodwill" program. The service tech turned the paperwork in to Nissan and a few days later called me and said they would replace if if I paid $600 for the installation.

I gladly paid the installation charge and the new battery was installed yesterday. It now charges to 120 miles.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the warranty on the new battery. The dealership told me it was only 12 months/12,000 miles, but I'm wondering what others have been told who have had their batteries replaced under Nissan's "goodwill" program?

Also, are the replacement batteries significantly better than the original battery?

In any event, I'm very happy about the outcome and wanted to let others know about my experience. :D

You won the lottery. Most owners do not.

I'll ask the question on everybody's mind: what is the battery capacity ?

SageBrush said:
You won the lottery. Most owners do not.

Well, that's interesting. I'm usually the one who loses on these kinds of deals, so I guess I should have bought lottery tickets the same day. :cool:

The warranty sounds right. In a normal warranty replacement, you get the lesser of the balance of the original warranty or 1 year/12k.

SageBrush said:
I agree, 120 miles sounds WAY too high for a 24kwh battery, maybe a 30kwh battery :eek:

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
I agree, 120 miles sounds WAY too high for a 24kwh battery, maybe a 30kwh battery :eek:

Yeah, I was blown away when I got in the car at the dealership (after they had replaced the battery) and it showed 117 miles. This morning when my wife took it to work, it showed 120 miles.

When I left the dealer in 2011 the GOM showed 128 miles. The car was only driven around the parking lot 4 miles total.

Do the happy dance and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Just for the record, I remember waaaaay back in 2011 having 114 mi on my GOM with the original 24KWh battery . Now I'm lucky to see 75 mi (winter). I'll let you know when summer arrives, by I doubt I'll see more than 85 mi this summer.

Hi,
I just read your post. Congrats on your new battery.
Similarly, I was lucky too, in a different way. Out of warranty for BOTH our 2011 Leafs by 4 months. We got a 80/20 settlement. Paid about $1260 total (taxes included) per battery.

Discussion thread is here if you are interested: http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23531#p486377

NorCalLeafOwner said:

I purchased my used 2011 Leaf in March of 2016. In January of this year, I decided to get a battery test performed at my local Nissan dealership because I was concerned about the bars I had lost and the battery was only charging to about 60 miles.

The report showed that my battery had degraded to the point that it could have been replaced if it was still under warranty. However, I had miscalculated when the warranty expired. It actually expired last October, based on when my Leaf was originally sold.

The dealership advised me that they would see if Nissan would replace the battery anyway under their "Goodwill" program. The service tech turned the paperwork in to Nissan and a few days later called me and said they would replace if if I paid $600 for the installation.

I gladly paid the installation charge and the new battery was installed yesterday. It now charges to 120 miles.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the warranty on the new battery. The dealership told me it was only 12 months/12,000 miles, but I'm wondering what others have been told who have had their batteries replaced under Nissan's "goodwill" program?

Also, are the replacement batteries significantly better than the original battery?

In any event, I'm very happy about the outcome and wanted to let others know about my experience. :D

120 miles on the GOM is not out of the question for a new 24 kWh battery -- it would require recent driving at ~ 5.5 miles/kWh. My 2013 LEAF GOM reports range in the 110s after lazy in-town driving.
So unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

OP ?
LEAFspy would be best, but if you reset the miles/kWh meter and go for a drive we will also have an answer.

SageBrush said:
120 miles on the GOM is not out of the question for a new 24 kWh battery -- it would require recent driving at ~ 5.5 miles/kWh. My 2013 LEAF GOM reports range in the 110s after lazy in-town driving.
So unlikely, but certainly not impossible.

OP ?
LEAFspy would be best, but if you reset the miles/kWh meter and go for a drive we will also have an answer.

Today when my wife got in the car it said 103, so maybe that will be more typical. But it's still a lot more than the 50 or 60 we were getting.

I don't know why it was so high the first couple of days.

NorCalLeafOwner said:
Today when my wife got in the car it said 103, so maybe that will be more typical. But it's still a lot more than the 50 or 60 we were getting.

Probably because you had an 8-bar Leaf and were driving very very economically because of it!

VitaminJ said:
NorCalLeafOwner said:

Probably because you had an 8-bar Leaf and were driving very very economically because of it!

My wife drives this car like it's her one and only baby. She absolutely loves it. :D

VitaminJ said:
NorCalLeafOwner said:

:mrgreen:

Yes, the 120 mile range GOM is normal for a new battery. I used to consistently get 125 miles GOM every time I charged when the car was newer. Now I only get about 105-110 at 100%.

NorCalLeafOwner said:

Hi I am in same boat, 6mos out of warranty, and wanting to know what baseline information they would offer this "Goodwill" program. I paid $100 just to have my battery tested at the dealer to have plan of record that my battery is marginal 2 weeks before Warranty expire. They told me I don't qualified at the time. My dealer is Boardwalk Nissan in Redwood City.

What was number of bars and mileage you had when you talk to dealer?

Point of data...

Lost 4th bar at 5 years and 10 months (October 2016) with 49K miles. Figured I was SOL on the warranty.

Called Nissan in March 2017 because I heard some owners were getting some deals on replacement batteries. They directed me to dealer to get test done, which I did for $79 and then they offered a replacement for 20% of the cost (they covered 80%). My 20% cost was $1,230 with free shipping in both directions and a free rental car. Very smooth process...

Randy said:
Point of data...

Lost 4th bar at 5 years and 10 months (October 2016) with 49K miles. Figured I was SOL on the warranty.

Called Nissan in March 2017 because I heard some owners were getting some deals on replacement batteries. They directed me to dealer to get test done, which I did for $79 and then they offered a replacement for 20% of the cost (they covered 80%). My 20% cost was $1,230 with free shipping in both directions and a free rental car. Very smooth process...
Wow! Very nice!

Congratulations, and thanks for letting us know.

JimSouCal said:
The goodwill Nissan is generating is welcome...

I have a friend that just got a battery pack replaced (out of warranty) @90% coverage (even I was surprised), so it's definitely happening.
Of course, Nissan probably won't get half the publicity for the "positive" stuff as they have for the "negative" stuff; it's human nature.

Back