Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current pack production is by handicraft, and early model 3 production likely to be biased toward larger (~74 kWh) packs, according to gigareport below.

Tesla Invest $216 Million Into Model 3 Battery Line At Gigafactory

...According to our source, the first battery modules for Model 3 test vehicles are being hand-built by a team 150 employees over a 24 hour shift. The source tells Teslarati via Teslanomics (video below) that it takes approximately 10 minutes to complete 1 section of a battery module with 2 employees moving 2170 lithium ion battery cells from a box and into the battery module. There are a total of 7 sections in each battery module. The manual production has been taking place for “several months now” according to our source, who says Tesla is currently building approximately 20 Model 3 battery modules per day by hand...

According to our source, the base Model 3, as of now, will start at 60kWh. This capacity comes in higher than what we originally expected and will meet the “at least 215 miles” of range that Tesla had first announced for the vehicle. Tesla is reportedly concentrating on the production of the premium battery at first, which is slated to be 74kWh, and likely badged as a Tesla Model 3 75...
http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-battery-pack-216m-model-3-battery-production-line-gigafactory-1/

edatoakrun said:
Tesla Invest $216 Million Into Model 3 Battery Line At Gigafactory
<snip>
According to our source, the base Model 3, as of now, will start at 60kWh. This capacity comes in higher than what we originally expected and will meet the “at least 215 miles” of range that Tesla had first announced for the vehicle. Tesla is reportedly concentrating on the production of the premium battery at first, which is slated to be 74kWh, and likely badged as a Tesla Model 3 75...
http://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-3-battery-pack-216m-model-3-battery-production-line-gigafactory-1/
I'll be very surprised if the base battery doesn't provide at least 239 miles of range ;) It's bigger than they said it would be back a year or so ago.

I posted this in a different thread, but I suppose I should post it here, too.
On the road pictures of 5 differently colored preproduction vehicles: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/model-3-rc-colors.91035/

If TSLA sells a significant fraction of the total number of model Threes it has projected, we should expect to find public DC charge stations Tesla'd frequently, whenever nearby proprietary "superchargers" are crowded.

Thank you, Tesla, for your generous policy of:

Our chargers are ours, and yours we can share...

Two Tesla Model 3 prototypes spotted at a CCS/CHAdeMO charging station

...Yesterday, two Model 3 release candidates were spotted by Nick Baum on Lombard Street in San Francisco. Later on, the same two vehicles were spotted by Addison Conzet at a CCS/CHAdeMO public charging station (pictures by Addison Conzet):

While it resulted in some of the best shots of the Model 3 release candidates so far, Conzet couldn’t get one of the vehicles charging, but it begs the question “why would they park there if not to charge?”...
https://electrek.co/2017/05/27/tesla-model-3-ccs-chademo-charging-station/

For the same reason any vehicle blocks a DC site without charging.

The drivers are a**holes.

edatoakrun said:
If TSLA sells a significant fraction of the total number of model Threes it has projected, we should expect to find public DC charge stations Tesla'd frequently, whenever nearby proprietary "superchargers" are crowded.

Our chargers are ours, and yours we can share... ...
Perhaps not. It takes a $450 adapter for a Tesla to use Chademo; how many Model 3 owners will buy one? Very few, would be my guess. There is a possibility that the Model 3 will eventually get a CCS port; quite likely in Europe, less certain here. But that's not Chademo.

Anyway, Tesla and its customers paid for those Superchargers. Did you pay for the Chademo DCFC stations? How are they "yours?" Meanwhile, Tesla is massively expanding the Supercharger network to accommodate increased numbers of cars on the road from Model 3 production. Tesla also gives away L2 "wall chargers" to hotels, restaurants, cities, and other entities, who are willing to install them for their patrons or visitors, to use for destination charging — many hundreds so far. In addition to the Tesla WCs, they also often give Clipper Creek L2 EVSEs to the same establishments so that they can be used by any EV. The goal is to promote and support EVs and long distance travel.

I have my issues with Tesla at times but, still, your profoundly jaundiced view of everything Tesla is really quite remarkable!

We recently went to a winery in Kelowna BC. Both the Tesla destination charger and the clipper creek charger were provided by Tesla to the winery owner. Thanks TESLA. From a Nissan Leaf and Smart ED owner.

34821278911_fb1ec840d4_z.jpg

dgpcolorado said:
edatoakrun said:

Perhaps not. It takes a $450 adapter for a Tesla to use Chademo; how many Model 3 owners will buy one? Very few, would be my guess. There is a possibility that the Model 3 will eventually get a CCS port; quite likely in Europe, less certain here. But that's not Chademo.

Anyway, Tesla and its customers paid for those Superchargers. Did you pay for the Chademo DCFC stations? How are they "yours?" Meanwhile, Tesla is massively expanding the Supercharger network to accommodate increased numbers of cars on the road from Model 3 production. Tesla also gives away L2 "wall chargers" to hotels, restaurants, cities, and other entities, who are willing to install them for their patrons or visitors, to use for destination charging — many hundreds so far. In addition to the Tesla WCs, they also often give Clipper Creek L2 EVSEs to the same establishments so that they can be used by any EV. The goal is to promote and support EVs and long distance travel.

I have my issues with Tesla at times but, still, your profoundly jaundiced view of everything Tesla is really quite remarkable!

1+

X post below, to on-topic comment at:

Business model of TSLA "free...forever" charge network

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19617&start=110

It's quite striking that many Tesla owners do not comprehend the degree of control TSLA exerts over them by denying them access to any public chargers (DC charging stations) unless they make a large payment to buy into TSLA's own network, a network to which it also bars public access to all other BEVs.

As long as TSLA maintains this policy, Tesla vehicles will only interact with the public charging infrastructure only parasitically, reducing access and dependability of nearby public chargers to drivers of all other BEVs during peak demand periods, when TSLA's own chargers are inadequate.

dgpcolorado said:
edatoakrun said:

Perhaps not. It takes a $450 adapter for a Tesla to use Chademo; how many Model 3 owners will buy one? Very few, would be my guess...
You missed the far more likely reason model 3s may not damage public charging opportunities very much implied by my statement above that TSLA simply may not sell very many model 3s.

="dgpcolorado"...There is a possibility that the Model 3 will eventually get a CCS port; quite likely in Europe, less certain here. But that's not Chademo...
Virtually all new public stations in the US have both public port options, and probably will for the foreseeable future, so your comment is irrelevant.

Again, what you seem to be missing is that TSLA's policy to date has been to make purchasing access to its "free" DC charger network mandatory, at a cost of thousands of dollars before it will permit you (or any other Tesla driver) access to any public DC chargers.

TSLA has never allowed buyers to opt out of the very high costs of "free supercharging", and use public chargers instead.

And I doubt TSLA ever will give its vehicle owners that option, unless compelled by legal action or the demands of its creditors.

="dgpcolorado"...Anyway, Tesla and its customers paid for those Superchargers...
TSLA has lost money, huge amounts of money, every year since it's creation.

So it would be more accurate to state that TSLA's investors expect future Tesla buyers to pay for the chargers.

="dgpcolorado"...Did you pay for the Chademo DCFC stations? How are they "yours?"...
Any BEV driver can charge their BEV at public Chademo/CCS chargers, and we "pay for them" every time we use them.

By doing so whenever we travel outside our initial range, we are doing what Tesla drivers are not, contributing to the establishment of the public charger infrastructure that will be required to accelerate the retirement of the ICEV/PHEV vehicle fleet.

So what?

Pretty sure the owners of the DC chargers/networks would be perfectly fine with Tesla owners using them a lot more. If you want exclusive rights to a DC charger, you better buy your own, 'cuz, no they aren't "yours" just because Tesla didn't pay for them. Entitled much?

edatoakrun said:
Firetruck41 said:
...Entitled much?
On that subject, see photos...

I don't understand your position.
Tesla owners paid $2000 per car extra for their SuperCharger network build-out and access.
How much did you pay any of the public or private CCS or Chademo networks beyond what a Tesla owner also paid ?

edatoakrun said:
As long as TSLA maintains this policy, Tesla vehicles will only interact with the public charging infrastructure only parasitically, reducing access and dependability of nearby public chargers to drivers of all other BEVs during peak demand periods, when TSLA's own chargers are inadequate.

Any BEV driver can charge their BEV at public Chademo/CCS chargers, and we "pay for them" every time we use them.

By doing so whenever we travel outside our initial range, we are doing what Tesla drivers are not, contributing to the establishment of the public charger infrastructure that will be required to accelerate the retirement of the ICEV/PHEV vehicle fleet.

I'm sorry, but you are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Those Tesla drivers are included in the "Any BEV driver" who charges at public CHAdeMO / CCS chargers, and pay for the privilege. Therefore, far from a "parasitic" relationship, any Tesla owner who does that is supporting the establishment of an open public charging network. Thus, I count it as a positive when I see a Tesla driver paying to use a charger outside of the proprietary Supercharger network.

Firetruck41 said:
edatoakrun said:
Firetruck41 said:
...Entitled much?

Looked at it, what's your point? There are Model3 prototypes at a J1772/CCS charger? OK.
Look and read.

Drivers of both of the Model 3s (presumably, TSLA employees) are reported to have Teslad both of the two public CHAdeMO/CCS DC chargers by blocking access to the chargers, without paying for and using them.

edatoakrun said:
Firetruck41 said:
edatoakrun said:

Looked at it, what's your point? There are Model3 prototypes at a J1772/CCS charger? OK.
Look and read.

Drivers of both of the Model 3s (presumably, TSLA employees) are reported to have Teslad both of the two public CHAdeMO/CCS DC chargers by blocking access to the chargers, without paying for and using them.
The engineers were by their cars according to the author, so I assume they were getting ready to charge, finished a charge or could move them if asked.
But that really has no bearing on this discussion, unless you are trying to use that to show that Tesla's suck. And of course then we would have to say that BMW's suck because some owners are pretentious, Prius sucks because their are some self righteous braggarts that drive them...

They stopped there for a photo op. The drivers were standing next to the cars (telling folks it is OK to take pictures of the outside, but not the inside).

This is very similar to when Motor Trend took 2 Bolts to a Tesla Supercharger and parked them there (see the Feb 2017 issue).

edatoakrun said:

While I am certainly not going to defend this particular practice of blocking the spots without actually making use of them--although the statement is weakened by the fact that the drivers are standing right there next to their vehicles--I am having a real hard time following your logic about why Tesla drivers charging at CHAdeMO/CCS chargers are somehow different than any other BEV driver that charges at those same charging stations, and sometimes abusing it by abandoning their vehicle for longer than it takes to complete the charge.

And I'm certainly not saying that all Tesla drivers are not @$$holes about public charging...there is a guy in my area that checks in his Tesla Model X at public L2 charging stations in the area, sometimes only an hour or so apart. I suppose it could be a legitimate use of the charging stations, but I somehow doubt it and feel that like most of us after we got our EVs--he basically enjoys the feeling of getting something for free.

But back to your complaint about the supposed hypocrisy of Tesla keeping their Supercharger network proprietary and yet "allowing" (or maybe enabling) their customers to use CHAdeMO/CCS (which I think--but I'm not sure--is your point).

First, isn't it true that Tesla has offered to open up their Superchargers to other makes of cars, provided they can accept the high charging rates offered by the SC (so as not to tie them up for a long period of time) and that they pay into the expansion and operation of the network? Both of those seem entirely reasonable requests to me. Sure, maybe that is not the model that other automakers want to use, but as a DRIVER, I would be perfectly content (if I had a hypothetical non-Tesla EV that me the charge rate requirements), I would gladly pay for use of the SC, just as I gladly pay for access to CHAdeMO today.

So how about the other side of the coin? Tesla owners charging at CHAdeMO. Well I just don't see what the big deal here is. If they are at a pay station, they pay for their charge, and I presume they wouldn't actually pay for the charge unless they actually needed it.

And if it's a free charger (say at a Nissan dealer), then it comes down to whether they really need the charge or not. But the same can be said for any EV driver. Having said that, I think that it's generally fair for fast charger owners to either charge a nominal fee to discourage non-essential use, or to clearly state their rules, restrictions and policies. So for example there is a shopping area in my area that has a fast charger. But they don't really have a clear policy marked so it's common for EVs to plug in and leave their vehicle there for an hour or more. How about Nissan dealers? Well Nissan has at least invested in the infrastructure (to the dismay of their dealers) and established a quasi-network. It would be fair of them to perhaps restrict use to only LEAFs (although they probably couldn't be bothered to enforce a ban on non-LEAFs, and it would create ill will towards potential customers anyway). But if you're going to have a problem with Tesla owners charging at Nissan dealerships and tying up the CHAdeMO, then you can really only blame Nissan for not having a policy that forbids it.

Personally, when driving my Volt, I would generally not go to another type of dealer to charge my car (unless it was an emergency). The same for my LEAF (but for CHAdeMO, Nissan is really the only game in town around me). As a potential future Model 3 driver I can't say I would never charge at a Nissan dealer, but I certainly would charge at a public/pay CHAdeMO station if need be (but only when actually required).

Back on topic:

Assuming TSLA is serious about this, someone explain to me, please.

You have all that prime real estate, right in front of the driver, available to place controls and information displays.

And instead of utilizing that surface, you leave it blank, and try to move the same data and operations through a tiny square on the right.

Just to save a few bucks?

Just to be different?

And if that is the case, does this weirdness for its own sake remind anyone of the model X "falcon wing doors" fiasco?

Spy shots could solve the mystery of Elon Musk's Model 3 interior: Pictures reveal Tesla's radical single screen dashboard

...Musk had previously addressed the issue of no traditional dashboard display, tell users who asked for one 'You won't care' before confirming the car won't use a heads up display either.
A new comparison of models on Tesla's own site confirms the spec, saying the Model 3 will only have a single 15inch display, while the more expensive Model S has a separate 'driver display'.
According to Teslerati, 'The latest photos gives us a clearer look at the landscape-mounted touchscreen, which resembles an off-the-shelf computer monitor that’s been bolted onto the dashboard...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-4553154/Tesla-Model-3-s-radical-single-screen-dashboard-revealed.html

The rest of the article is a good summary of the current state of TSLA, BTW.

edatoakrun said:
Back on topic:

Someone explain this to me, please.

You have all that prime real estate, right in front of the driver, available to place controls and information displays.

And instead of utilizing that surface, you leave it blank, and try to move the same data and operations through a tiny square on the right.

If I had to speculate, I would guess that Elon had grander plans for the Model 3 instruments and to turn it into a "spaceship" but after talking to his engineers they decided to backpedal and keep just the single screen to avoid the Model 3 instrument panel from becoming another falcon wing door, and by then it was too close to "pencils down" to backtrack and put a traditional binnacle in.

I do agree that the way the screen is mounted lacks an "integrated" feel and could potentially be one of the few polarizing elements of the Model 3. I feel the same way about the BMW i3 and that screen is a lot less "protruding".

Back