Leaf 2 to be revealed in Sept, on sales before end of the year

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general, he said, priorities will vary depending on where the buyer is located, the model and features ordered, and a few other factors.

Those details will become available once the 2018 Leaf is unveiled in September and final pricing and features are released after that.

So, CA of course, then the other CARB states?
Fully loaded SLs first?
A few other factors?

How many can they produce per week?

Called NMAC to get more details. Very busy.
They emphasized that the 3 free months would have to be repaid if no 2018 is bought.
Said preorders won't start until September, at dealerships only, and priority list will be set up at that time, with a deposit.
So, maybe I'll extend for a month anyway to see how it compares to Bolt. No way to know until September at this point.

desiv said:
SageBrush said:
A base Tesla Model 3 starts at $35k USD and will have about 220 miles of highway range. I like my LEAF a lot, but for the same price as a Tesla ? Knowing the dismal state of Nissan's support of EV ownership and its handling of battery degradation ? Without a supercharger network ?
Choice is good for everyone...
Personally, I'm not a sedan fan,
In my personal world, "sedan" is a brain-dead design. I have never owned one and I never thought I would. Damn you, Tesla! In the US though, sedans are preferred some 9:1 overall. I am not sure if that holds for the EV buying market.

If I find that the Model 3 sedanish design is just too much to bear, I'll wait for the Model 'Y.' I actually just hedged my bets today by buying a Prius Prime to join our car stable along with our LEAF. I know that does not sound like much more EV in the family, but for our use case it almost doubles my MPG to work and our household liquid fossil fuel consumption will drop to ~ 130 gallons a year for 16k miles a year. I can live with that until a brilliant, ICE level versatile, full EV is available.

LeftieBiker said:
They emphasized that the 3 free months would have to be repaid if no 2018 is bought.

Or unless you buy your leased car. I might do that to resell it, but only for $5k or less.

I received the paperwork for my lease extension and it says absolutely nothing about the 2018 model, nor did it ever come up in my conversation with them other than to say that part of the promotion was access to the waitlist when available.

The only penalty in the lease extension paperwork is an early termination charge of three payments (to recover the courtesy payments) if you terminate the lease more than six months prior to lease maturity. So basically you have to hang around long enough to see the details of the 2018 announcement.

As it stands today, I'll be doing the extension and then - if it turns out to be as good as promised - I'll custom order a 2018 SV to lease and then, hopefully, buy. I'd kind of expected to have no range anxiety this Summer, but if NY actually installs a few charging stations in state parks as just promised (?), that won't be a big issue anyway. I'll still try to keep my 2013's pack from getting hot, but won't worry quite as much about it. I wonder when a 2018 Leaf ordered in September would actually get delivered here?

How does the lease extension work with respect to lease miles? Do we get additional miles per month of extension? What if we have miles left over on the original lease. Is there a way to sign a no additional miles lease extension for lower per month cost?

akat said:
How does the lease extension work with respect to lease miles? Do we get additional miles per month of extension? What if we have miles left over on the original lease. Is there a way to sign a no additional miles lease extension for lower per month cost?

The original terms are retained, so you get the same number of miles per six months as in the original lease.

No Supercharger, no deal Nissan. Are you listening?

No TMS, no deal Nissan. Are you listening?

Long range, bigger battery BEVs need BOTH. You do know about a company that can help you there, right? They've about 400,000 plus interested parties more than your "Leaf 2.0".

Come with your 'A' game and I might stay Nissan. I'm actually done with the hot battery, 50 kW max 'quick charge'. Nice for regional travel, but my next EV is going to take me out of state (across several!) and back again.

No more hodgepodge of broken, non-functional, 3rd party chargers that have but ONE stall per crappy DC charge location. Been that way for 3 years. More for those earlier adopters. What the what? And I have it REALLY good here in the Pac NW!

Love my Leaf, but Nissan, you have got to over impress me. The Model 3 is coming...

60kWh LEAF v2.0
Use this 100% chart for a 60kWh new battery.

LEAFrangeChart60kWh.jpg

Well said, and so true!

finman100 said:
No Supercharger, no deal Nissan. Are you listening?

No TMS, no deal Nissan. Are you listening?

Long range, bigger battery BEVs need BOTH. You do know about a company that can help you there, right? They've about 400,000 plus interested parties more than your "Leaf 2.0".

Come with your 'A' game and I might stay Nissan. I'm actually done with the hot battery, 50 kW max 'quick charge'. Nice for regional travel, but my next EV is going to take me out of state (across several!) and back again.

No more hodgepodge of broken, non-functional, 3rd party chargers that have but ONE stall per crappy DC charge location. Been that way for 3 years. More for those earlier adopters. What the what? And I have it REALLY good here in the Pac NW!

Love my Leaf, but Nissan, you have got to over impress me. The Model 3 is coming...

finman100 said:
No Supercharger, no deal Nissan. Are you listening?..
That's not just Nissan. That's every manufacturer except Tesla..
So basically you are telling Nissan and everyone else that you want a Tesla..

Good to know.. :D

desiv

oh c'mon. really?

Elon wants the supercharger network for ALL mfgs. look it up.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/8...-rivals-using-teslas-supercharger-network.htm

No one has taken him up on the offer. Thus, we are stuck with the hodgepodge of not-so-fast "long distance" charging. Have ya seen the Bolt story on going 800 miles? THAT's why the Tesla network is so far ahead. People have criss-crossed the US of A in Teslas.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brooke...on-an-800-mile-road-trip-report/#c9805c0c9805

(sorry, I really like the word hodgepodge.)

When you have the best charging network, you keep it to yourself, right? But Elon wants ALL mfgs to be able to handle high power and REAL fast charging. He wants to share this tech and get more VIABLE long distance EVs.

Yes, I am whining all the way to NOT being a Nissan customer when another company does it better. I didn't say cheaper...yet.

I'll say it all night long. 200+ miles on a single charge is great. it's awesome. what happens AFTER that?

finman100 said:
oh c'mon. really?

Elon wants the supercharger network for ALL mfgs. look it up.
If you search you will see a lot of discussion on this "offer" by Musk and why no one will take it up.

If you want supercharger network, you will have to buy a Tesla.

evnow said:
If you search you will see a lot of discussion on this "offer" by Musk and why no one will take it up.

the more the merrier, (standards that is :roll: )

at least LEAF 2, GM Bolt and Tesla 3 will not be clones of each other, even if they have some MSRP overlap.

Personally I expect those who have reserved a Tesla 3 will need to finalize ordering quickly if they want the $35,000 version. I don't think the entry level Tesla will be generally available with federal tax credit, but the LEAF 2 and GM Bolt will. I also predict the LEAF 2 to have about 250 miles EPA (wild wild rumor, but LEAF 2 should have lower aero cross section than Bolt, even if the drag co-eff is the same). I expect demand for higher trim T3 to be sufficient that Tesla effectively drops the supply of T3 with less than LEAF 2 / Bolt range.

Base T3 with a 'reasonable' delivery could be $40,000 and miss the tax rebate
LEAF/Bolt with average discount could be $30,000 and still get the tax rebate (so thats like $23k)
so for 'comparable' vehicles the lease rates for these will be wildly different. perhaps 1/2.

I don't expect fed rebate to last beyond when both Tesla and GM have used up their allotment. The clock will start.

webeleafowners said:
eastocean said:
They have to match or beat the Bolt, but are a full year behind, if they match their schedule. .

Match or beat the Bolt? Too easy. Hell if you stick a 60 KW battery in the existing leaf it would be better than a bolt. We waited to check out the bolt before buying our SV. It was, tacky, noisy, cramped, cheesy, no Nav, and the seats sucked. My guess is the new leaf will blow it away. And most important it won't be a Chevy. All personal taste I suppose but no I don't believe nissan has anything to worry about. Tesla 3 maybe but it will probably be more expensive.

Jmho

Not quite from my experience. The Leaf's driving dynamics are fairly mediocre compared to the Bolt. The Bolt drives better, has better steering weight/feel, has Carplay and has a very nice tight turning radius. The interior does feel cheap and I agree with you that the new Leaf will likely blow the Bolt away. But then again, the Leaf's been out for 7 years and the Bolt just came out.

I leased the 2017 Leaf because the numbers were hard to beat but despite the Bolt's shortcomings, as a "driver's car", I liked the Bolt better. It even looks nicer. Whatever the case, we're at the MS-DOS 6.22 days of EV cars and in 3-5 years, we should be seeing OSX 10 levels of user experience and performance from these things.

BranchingOut said:
Whatever the case, we're at the MS-DOS 6.22 days of EV cars and in 3-5 years, we should be seeing OSX 10 levels of user experience and performance from these things.
Based upon that analogy, a Tesla Model S is a high-end SGI Workstation. :D

ydnas7 said:
evnow said:

the more the merrier, (standards that is :roll: )

at least LEAF 2, GM Bolt and Tesla 3 will not be clones of each other, even if they have some MSRP overlap.

Personally I expect those who have reserved a Tesla 3 will need to finalize ordering quickly if they want the $35,000 version. I don't think the entry level Tesla will be generally available with federal tax credit, but the LEAF 2 and GM Bolt will. I also predict the LEAF 2 to have about 250 miles EPA (wild wild rumor, but LEAF 2 should have lower aero cross section than Bolt, even if the drag co-eff is the same). I expect demand for higher trim T3 to be sufficient that Tesla effectively drops the supply of T3 with less than LEAF 2 / Bolt range.

Base T3 with a 'reasonable' delivery could be $40,000 and miss the tax rebate
LEAF/Bolt with average discount could be $30,000 and still get the tax rebate (so thats like $23k)
so for 'comparable' vehicles the lease rates for these will be wildly different. perhaps 1/2.

I don't expect fed rebate to last beyond when both Tesla and GM have used up their allotment. The clock will start.

Tesla Model 3 is actually rolling out with less optioned models first, in order to simplify production, with dual motor and performance version rolling out in late 2017 or Q1 2018. As such, you can expect $36k - 7.5k = $28,500.

finman100 said:
Yes, I am whining all the way to NOT being a Nissan customer when another company does it better. I didn't say cheaper...yet.
Actually, you are whining all the way to a Tesla 3, IF you can get one, and IF the price is satisfactory (though, if you don't care about price, buy a Tesla S and call it good). And you evidently want us to hold your hand while you do it. It is your choice and your call. You don't need any help from here.

Back