Nissan Leaf parking brake light blinking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUNG

Dear all,

I have one problem with Nissan Leaf that parking brake light is blinking and if drive, not easy to move.

Please share to me how to repair it.

Thanks and Regards,

AUNG, Myanmar

I would assume parking brake is engaged (or it thinks it is, could be the sensor malfunctioned), or brake fluid level in the reservoir is low. Being that it is hard to move, I would lean toward the parking brake being engaged.

GerryAZ said:
What model year? 2011 and 2012 have electric parking brake while 2013 and later cars have foot pedal parking brake (at least for USA cars). Also, please describe what happened when this first started.

Thank you very much . model year is 2011. when drive hard to move and parking brake light is blinking.

Firetruck41 said:
I would assume parking brake is engaged (or it thinks it is, could be the sensor malfunctioned), or brake fluid level in the reservoir is low. Being that it is hard to move, I would lean toward the parking brake being engaged.

Thank you very much for your information.
When I check brake fluid level, it is medium . In Myanmar, many service shop do not know how to repair.

AUNG said:
Dear all,

I have one problem with Nissan Leaf that parking brake light is blinking and if drive, not easy to move.

Thanks and Regards,

AUNG, Myanmar

Yes, it does sound like your parking brake is stuck fully or at least partially on. From the service manual from my 2012 (also electronic parking brake):

When a malfunction occurs in the system and the parking brake cannot be released, release the parking brake manually.
To release, remove the cap on release hole in luggage floor, press and rotate the emergency release cable counterclockwise until it locks.

Another section of the same manual says:

Emergency release cable
- When there is a malfunction that prevents the parking brake from being released, use the tool in the luggage room to manually turn and release the parking brake.
- When the emergency release cable is rotated counterclockwise while pressing it to parallel direction to axis with the cap removed, deceleration gear is rotated through release gear, which results in electric parking brake release.
COMPONENT PARTS
After manual release, perform “EHS/PKB” self diagnosis. When a malfunction is detected, erase self diagnosis result for “EHS/PKB”.

From what I can gather, EHS/PKB is a testing option on the dealer's CONSULT system.

And lastly, from the system diagnostics portion of the service manual:

PARKING BRAKE DOES NOT RELEASE Description: When the parking brake cannot be released by the parking brake switch.
Diagnosis Procedure
1.PERFORM SELF-DIAGNOSIS With CONSULT
Perform self-diagnosis for “EHS/PKB”.
Is any DTC detected?
YES >> Check the DTC. Refer to PB-29, "DTC Index".
NO >> GO TO 2.
2.CHECK THE CABLE
Check the each cable to see if it is stuck. Is the inspection result normal?
YES >> GO TO 3.
NO >> Repair or replace error-detected parts.
3.CHECK PARKING BRAKE DRAG
Check if the parking brake is dragging. PB-82, "Adjustment". Is the parking brake dragging?
YES >> GO TO 4.
NO >> Replace the parking brake actuator. Refer to PB-85, "Removal and Installation".
4.CHECK PARKING BRAKE SHOE INSTALLATION STATUS
Check the parking brake shoe installation status. Is the inspection result normal?
YES >> Replace the parking brake actuator. Refer to PB-85, "Removal and Installation".

I have saved all of this in the sincere hope I never have to refer to it again for my 2011... thanks

SalisburySam said:
AUNG said:
Dear all,

Thanks and Regards,

AUNG, Myanmar

Yes, it does sound like your parking brake is stuck fully or at least partially on. From the service manual from my 2012 (also electronic parking brake):

When a malfunction occurs in the system and the parking brake cannot be released, release the parking brake manually.
To release, remove the cap on release hole in luggage floor, press and rotate the emergency release cable counterclockwise until it locks.

Another section of the same manual says:

Emergency release cable
- When there is a malfunction that prevents the parking brake from being released, use the tool in the luggage room to manually turn and release the parking brake.
- When the emergency release cable is rotated counterclockwise while pressing it to parallel direction to axis with the cap removed, deceleration gear is rotated through release gear, which results in electric parking brake release.
COMPONENT PARTS
After manual release, perform “EHS/PKB” self diagnosis. When a malfunction is detected, erase self diagnosis result for “EHS/PKB”.

From what I can gather, EHS/PKB is a testing option on the dealer's CONSULT system.

And lastly, from the system diagnostics portion of the service manual:

PARKING BRAKE DOES NOT RELEASE Description: When the parking brake cannot be released by the parking brake switch.
Diagnosis Procedure
1.PERFORM SELF-DIAGNOSIS With CONSULT
Perform self-diagnosis for “EHS/PKB”.
Is any DTC detected?
YES >> Check the DTC. Refer to PB-29, "DTC Index".
NO >> GO TO 2.
2.CHECK THE CABLE
Check the each cable to see if it is stuck. Is the inspection result normal?
YES >> GO TO 3.
3.CHECK PARKING BRAKE DRAG
Check if the parking brake is dragging. PB-82, "Adjustment". Is the parking brake dragging?
YES >> GO TO 4.
NO >> Replace the parking brake actuator. Refer to PB-85, "Removal and Installation".
4.CHECK PARKING BRAKE SHOE INSTALLATION STATUS
Check the parking brake shoe installation status. Is the inspection result normal?
YES >> Replace the parking brake actuator. Refer to PB-85, "Removal and Installation".

Back