Chevrolet Bolt & Bolt EUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hyperionmark said:
NeilBlanchard said:
The back seat? Yup, the top of the door is a bit lower than I expected; but I think it is something you would learn. The front was no problem, though.
I'm talking about the front seat. To be fair, I'm taller than the average guy at 6'2" but I have no problem on the Prius or Leaf.

Okay, but I'm 6'-4". The e-Golf is the EV I have more entry / exit issues with. The Bolt EV is by far the best, in this regard.

The high seat position is important to me. My Corolla sits way low and I literally have to climb out and every year that is getting tougher and tougher. In part; this helps my EV acceptance because I generally stop frequently to get out and stretch every hour or so anyway. The times I don't (usually because of real heavy traffic where a 5 minute stop will actually take 20 mins) I really hate.

I agree Dave - higher seats mean better vision, more flexible positions - you can better change your position while driving to stay comfortable. And getting in and out of the Bolt EV is also helped by the flush floor sill:

1332352cc8527f77d28cb6003e5866c6x.jpg

Ran across a Bolt charging at Tumwater AV. It is basically the sam[/url]e size. The thinner seats allows the Bolt to have a pinch more passenger space with the LEAF having a pinch more cargo space. I have done 3 co-workers in my LEAF more than enough times that passenger space is acceptable but losing any cargo space could be an issue. But the range....

Problem is that the current fast charge network for the Bolt is sparse yet and its looking like WA will not go the way of OR and CA with most of the VW money going to charging. they will be spreading it around to several agencies so the dream of a bunch of new dual format chargers is now nothing more than a hoped for few...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Td4l-HN1-VERrurGkq3Qzv3J4wqnMRbQLA

Extremely positive review of the Bolt on this weeks PBS's 1/2hr weekly Motorweek show. Really nothing but positives to say, well other than the "piano white" dash can cause reflections and even for $30k it might not be economical to say a $20k small ICE vehicle.
Note having just aired it's not up on their site, but should be within a day or two? The episode number was season 36 episode 37, currently episode 36 is the newest one on their site.
http://video.mpt.tv/show/motor-week/
I thought it was funny how they stressed, a back seat that can really seat 3.....and no mention of the thinly padded seats ;)
When I crawled in the back seats it seemed very tight for just the wife and I, well unless you moved the front seat forward 4 or 5 inches and even then I wouldn't want to have to sit between us :lol: Nice that it was so positive though.

Current list price discounts on new Bolts now reported to be >$4k in CA, and over $3k in VA and MA.

http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2017/02/current-discounts-on-selected-evs.html

In perspective that's still less than the discounts (shown above) on most other BEVs/PHEVs for sale in the USA.

edatoakrun said:
Current list price discounts on new Bolts now reported to be >$4k in CA, and over $3k in VA and MA.

http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/2017/02/current-discounts-on-selected-evs.html

In perspective that's still less than the discounts (shown above) on most other BEVs/PHEVs for sale in the USA.

so that is over $11,500 for buyers, nearly nothing for leasers? yeah, sounds good

Via IEVS:
In First 3 Months Of 2017, Chevrolet Bolt Sales Reached 2,735 In California
http://insideevs.com/in-first-3-months-of-2017-chevrolet-bolt-sales-reached-2735-in-california/
Plug-in electric car sales in California increased in the first quarter by 91% year-over-year to 13,804, good for a 2.7% market share out of a total of 506,745 cars and light trucks sold in Q1.

A big part of that California growth is the new Chevrolet Bolt EV with 2,735 registrations; accounting for basically one out of every five new plug-ins moved in the state during the quarter. With 3,092 Bolts EV sold over the first three months nationwide, California had a 88.5% share of the early roll-out numbers for the Chevy. Total Bolt EV sales to date stand at 4,963 (579 in December and 4,384 over the first four months).
That would explain why I'm seeing Bolts relatively frequently - seems like once a week or more. I'd like to see a breakdown of Prius Prime sales, because even though they've outsold the Bolt I rarely see one, so think sales must be a lot more evenly distributed across the U.S.

GRA said:
Via IEVS:
http://insideevs.com/in-first-3-months-of-2017-chevrolet-bolt-sales-reached-2735-in-california/
Plug-in electric car sales in California increased in the first quarter by 91% year-over-year to 13,804, good for a 2.7% market share out of a total of 506,745 cars and light trucks sold in Q1.

A big part of that California growth is the new Chevrolet Bolt EV with 2,735 registrations; accounting for basically one out of every five new plug-ins moved in the state during the quarter. With 3,092 Bolts EV sold over the first three months nationwide, California had a 88.5% share of the early roll-out numbers for the Chevy. Total Bolt EV sales to date stand at 4,963 (579 in December and 4,384 over the first four months).
That would explain why I'm seeing Bolts relatively frequently - seems like once a week or more. I'd like to see a breakdown of Prius Prime sales, because even though they've outsold the Bolt I rarely see one, so think sales must be a lot more evenly distributed across the U.S.

Considering the Bolt's poor YTD sales, given GM's 2017 production forecast (30K), some OEMs might question whether
a Gen 2 BEV (~ 200 miles) in the high $30ks to the low $40Ks is really viable without major Fed/State rebates which may not
occur.

Very entertaining, though long read by Kim Reynolds at Motor Trend comparing 8 current alt fuel cars from 4 different technologies; BEV, PHEV, hybrid and fuel cell, including two versions of Hyundai Ioniq. Comprehensive impressions, photos and data, including some highly unusual data like driver stress during refueling.

TL; DR: Bolt EV is his clear top choice.

Bonus: tons of photos of all my favorite local stomping grounds around Newport Beach, CA.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/bolt-ev/2017/hyundai-ioniq-hybrid-vs-toyota-prius-chevrolet-volt-vs-prius-prime-bolt-ev-vs-ioniq-ev-vs-honda-clarity-vs-mirai/?wc_mid=4035%3A6518&wc_rid=4035%3A1237027&bt_alias=eyJ1c2VySWQiOiAiYWYwOTU3NjctZWRjYS00ODM2LTkxYTAtYTdjMjliMDk4MzZlIn0%3D

That's a terrific article! I especially like that he took the time to lay out the requirements (for the car buyer who isn't enamored of any particular tech) that play a major role in why someone would pick one tech over another (L1 vs. L2 vs. nothing at home/work, sole car vs. multiple, etc.), and the luggage space profile vs. the reported cubic capacity is very useful - I wish more car reviews included something like the latter.

lorenfb said:
GRA said:
Via IEVS:

Considering the Bolt's poor YTD sales, given GM's 2017 production forecast (30K), some OEMs might question whether
a Gen 2 BEV (~ 200 miles) in the high $30ks to the low $40Ks is really viable without major Fed/State rebates which may not
occur.

Most Cars sell in earnest the last quarter of the year, far fewer sales are made before that

TomT said:
Bolt sales are ramping up: http://www.insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-and-chevrolet-volt-sales-may-2017/

Hardly! YTD sales only achieved ~ 6K in the first 5 months of 2017. GM had planned for a 2017 production of 30K.
The Bolt production manager should be concerned about having requested that much production capacity which
could have been allocated to other GM products, e.g. trucks. His MBO compensation or job may be at risk. That also
goes for the Bolt product marketing manager! So much for the Gen 2 (~ 200 mile) BEV being the "breakout" BEV.

lorenfb said:
TomT said:
Bolt sales are ramping up: http://www.insideevs.com/chevrolet-bolt-and-chevrolet-volt-sales-may-2017/
Hardly! YTD sales only achieved ~ 6K in the first 5 months of 2017.
I think Bolt (and LEAF 2) sales in 2017 and 2018 will be impacted heavily by Tesla's ability to ramp up Model 3 sales (or their lack thereof).

If Tesla cannot produce the car in some volume rather quickly, there may be quite a few defectors to other brands. I suggested that my son drive a Chevy Bolt Premiere Edition which was selling for $38K on Memorial Day, but he did not bite. As far as he is concerned, Tesla Model 3 production is fully on track, so he should be able fill his 2XX,XXX reservation in about two years' time. But if they stumble, he will realize that he will likely HAVE to get another car before the Model 3. I'm sure there are many Model 3 reservation holders in similar positions, some with much higher reservation numbers.

RegGuheert said:
I think Bolt (and LEAF 2) sales in 2017 and 2018 will be impacted heavily by Tesla's ability to ramp up Model 3 sales (or their lack thereof).

If Tesla cannot produce the car in some volume rather quickly, there may be quite a few defectors to other brands.

Valid points! But there's still a real question how well a BEV (~ 200 miles) at $35K - $40K will be the turning point
for BEV acceptance. The Model 3 appeal results from other factors, e.g. status, which is one of its major appeals
versus functionality/overall costs for the typical ICEV consumer. That's the major volume market, i.e. a transition
vehicle which is "transparent" overall to the consumer, e.g. today's hybrid.

Back