HOW TO: Make the VSP (noisemaker) button default to off

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SurfHawk said:
Awesome write up. Any details on Cherry switch and housing? Part number, what kind ( single throw?) And what pin to solder to on Cherry switch?
Thanks.

-Mini Micro Switch microswitch 3 Pins 5A-125VAC 3A-250VAC NO NC A511
- Dimension: Length: 20mm Width: 10mm Height: 6.5mm
.-(Single- Pole-Single-Throw)

Solder the wires to pin COM and NO. NO stands for normally open. COM stands for Common Terminal.

nonccomm.jpg

The switch housing (18mm wide) is made from a roof sheet metal. For those who are familiar with sheet metal, bending them should be easy. Then punch or drill two varying size holes on them. One side is (EDIT 9/32") hole and the other is 3/16 hole. I have an arbor press which is set up for this purpose. I'm not aware of a place to get this item other than to show people how make them or get it from me. I can send the housing for $3 to cover shipping.

]
housingsize.jpg

DuncanCunningham said:
Thanks for this post. I'll be doing this when we get warmer weather here.

33percent.jpg

Your welcome. Here are some update information.

WIRE SIZES:
Make sure the lead (wires) are 18 gauge or bigger. Or something that doesn't burn with a 10-Amp load. Small wires will burn, large wires will pop the fuse. Secondly, the wires have to be wrapped with electrical tape from head to toe, leaving no gaps. The one in the image above is already coated with gray insulation - that's good. This is to help with fire control.

BATTERY DISCONNECT:
• When removing the 12V battery terminal, turn OFF the power switch and wait at least 5 minutes to prevent ECU data corruption.
• Always disconnect the battery terminal within 60 minutes after turning OFF the power switch.

*What are two connector in the image above for? Answer. Both are optional. One goes into the VSP connector. The other goes to an optional "default to off" switch.

A couple of questions:

1) Will this process and guide work on a 2016?
2) Any thoughts on using a totally separate button on the dash where there is currently a blank?

SurfHawk said:
So if I don't get the "default to off switch", will it remember the settings from last time I had the car running?
Only if that setting was "on". ;)
The car always turns the VSP on when it is first started.

garsh said:
SurfHawk said:
So if I don't get the "default to off switch", will it remember the settings from last time I had the car running?
Only if that setting was "on". ;)
The car always turns the VSP on when it is first started.

If you set the "default to off switch" to "on," then, like Mr Garsh says, the car always turns the VSP on when it is first started. If set it to "off" then it won't play the VSP upon startup. Yes, you'll have to get the "default to off switch" for it to remember to turn off at startup.

ironmanco said:
A couple of questions:
I don't have an answer to that but you can. I've check the service manual for the 2014 and it should work. For the 2016, if you don't mind opening the VSP box then read the prints on the circuit board then you can find out. On pin 3 and 5 it should say: 3 PUSH_SW and 5 VSP_OFF_SW for this process to work. You'll need a Phillips screw driver.

pin3and5.jpg

ironmanco said:
A couple of questions:
2) Any thoughts on using a totally separate button on the dash where there is currently a blank?
I haven't put much thought on it. A separate OEM button appears to increase cost and reduce functionality. But, you've spark my interest. I may have to look into that. ;)

Decimus said:
ironmanco said:
A couple of questions:
I don't have an answer to that but you can. I've check the service manual for the 2014 and it should work.

It's also pin 5 on my 2017. It's probably the same for all years.

My eBay purchase arrived today and I have one question - what is the "optional night night" (might be a typo for night light) functionality? Does it just slightly illuminate the VSP light all the time so it's easy to find in the dark?

Thanks for selling these BTW, the quality for the price is excellent, and I'm sure I'd make a mess of trying to build it myself.

Thanks Ben. Great to hear from a buyer. Sorry for the typo. Typo fixed, thanks.

It illuminates the VSP warning light only when the ignition is on. It drains very little energy. It seems to be an important feature because it's pretty dark after sunset. My passenger and I now have an easier time locating and pushing the button.

I use a 10K, 1/2 watt resistor. Simply push this pin into slot #14. This puts out about 1.2mA to the LED. If you like it a little dimmer, try putting 1K to 5K resistor in series to the wire.

How to build a night VSP illuminator from scratch:

Parts needed: 1 female-male Dupont 20cm connector for Arduino. One 10K-15K resistor 1/4 or 1/2 watt.

1. Remove the cover/housing from the female Dupont pin.
2. Fold the resistor legs then insert the resistor legs into the female Dupont pin then crimp. (Crimp the actual Dupont pin itself using a crimp tool.)
3. Electrical tape or shrink-tube this part of the resistor leg and the crimp.
4. With a diamond file, file the tip of the other male pin to a 45-degree angle. (This will let you insert the pin into the VSP connector.)
5. Unplug the VSP connector from the VSP control unit. Push the male Dupont pin along its edge into slot/position #14 on the VSP connector. Rotate the pin then plug it back in if it won't go in.
6. Clamp or screw the other end of the resistor's leg to ground, right below the VSP control unit.
7. Plug the connector back into the VSP control unit. Turn on the ignition and the picture of the little car should lit dimly.

schematic_pin_5_14_night_ligh_redt.jpg

Compatibility Info: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 Nissan LEAF service manual shows that pin #14 is for the VSP warning lamp and this mod should work. If anyone has the 2015-17 service manual showing pin #14 being the VSP warning lamp please let the forum know. This will help the DIY members out a lot.

I just installed this on my 2017 and it works great. My only issue was that I had to seat the switch several times before I could get it to click reliably. Otherwise this was a simple mod that took just under an hour to install.

Looks like the current ebay item has been updated to one that has a non-OEM button that you stick somewhere on your dash (with the wire running out from behind the dash somewhere), and is also configurable to be default-on or default-off. Am I understanding that correctly? Looks pretty nice if so.

ltbighorn said:
Looks like the current ebay item has been updated to one that has a non-OEM button that you stick somewhere on your dash (with the wire running out from behind the dash somewhere), and is also configurable to be default-on or default-off. Am I understanding that correctly? Looks pretty nice if so.

I'd stop selling the microswitch version because I couldn't source its unique switch. But now the new version is much easier to install. link

It's just a sticker button you place anywhere flat. Paper thin wires you could fish it thru cracks. I bet there are some who just don't want to drop the dash just to put in a simple switch.

The default to off switch you simply stick it inside the glove box. Control the default to off here.

Decimus said:
ltbighorn said:

I'd stop selling the microswitch version because I couldn't source its unique switch. But now the new version is much easier to install. link

It's just a sticker button you place anywhere flat. Paper thin wires you could fish it thru cracks. I bet there are some who just don't want to drop the dash just to put in a simple switch.

The default to off switch you simply stick it inside the glove box. Control the default to off here.

Ah, OK, and I see you still offer both kinds. Thanks for the clarification! I'll have to look into how hard it is to pull the dash buttons and decide on which one is best for me. Thanks for making these!

Back