Disable VSP sound by software

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I successfully turned off the Drive Start Sound, Drive Sound, and Backup Beep in my 2013. Thank you!

If "Drive Start Sound" controls the outside sound heard at low speed what sound does the "Drive Sound" control (inside or outside)?

Is "Vehicle Start Sound" both the turn on and turn off sounds/songs heard inside?

I am updating the Help file so need good descriptions for each option. If you were a new user what would help you understand the sound being controlled?

What I found is that the low-speed VSP sound is made up of two parts, both heard outside the vehicle:
  • an initial "whoosh" that lasts under .5s (Drive Start Sound)
  • the "whine" that goes on until 18MPH (Drive Sound).
I initially only turned off the Drive Sound and found the initial "whoosh" without the rest of the "whine" kind of odd because it cuts off abruptly; that's when I turned that off also. (especially since the "whoosh" would happen every time I stepped on the accelerator after being fully stopped)

I'll check what happens when turning off the other sounds.

Turbo3 said:
Is "Vehicle Start Sound" both the turn on and turn off sounds/songs heard inside?
I verified that is is both inside sounds.

Also, Sound C seems exactly as magico13 wrote here:
magico13 said:
Edit: Sound C is the 3 beeps when you open the charge door. Don't know about the other two yet (charging related maybe, like plugging in the handle? I'll check in a bit) or if C handles anything else.

Edit the second: C seems to control all of the noises related to charging. With just C and the standard 4 disabled I didn't get sounds when opening the charge port, plugging in the charge handle, the EVSE and the car verifying connection (when the lights for the timer start "running"), or when overriding the charge timer.

:geek:
desiv said:
Turbo3 said:
There may however be settings on the Combination meter to do some of these functions if someone (pointing to first post ;-)) would like to look for them.
I have a '12 Leaf and Leaf Spy Pro, so would be willing.. But no idea what I would need to do... ???

desiv

Open Google Play App, find Leaf Spy Pro. Scroll to the very end. You'll see "enroll in beta" or something like that. Check that box.

Go get yourself a coffee or hot tea. About 5 minutes later, when you open Google Play Apps, you'll see a "Beta" among the tabs, on the very right. You'll see the beta version of leaf spy pro. You can now install it.

In the settings, don't forget to enable "Service Screen".

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this, I got rid of those annoying driving and backup sounds. My neighbors will be very happy, especially for that backup beeps. Mine is a 2013 S BTW.

Note that I could not figure out what these are for: "Sound A", "Sound B". I tried disabling/enabling them, and nothing changed. However, when I disabled Sound A checkbox and then reenabled it, a $100 bill appeared somewhere from below, just like K.I.T.T. did in Knight Rider. Sound B only gave $50. I guess you need to change the descriptions like $100 and $50 :).

Scaramanga said:
the backup sound may be annoying but it's a significant safety feature.

I concur Scaramanga . The whoosh start up I would probably eliminate , but for safety reasons the back up and drive sound I would prefer to keep.

On my car drive start sound does nothing (I've never heard any kind of initial woosh).

It appears there's no way to switch on a sound that's disabled at the factory (eg. in my case the drive start sound, and reverse beeps). I'd have a play with the codes on the first page but don't really know what they're doing beyond the obvious, so may not get anywhere (eg it looks like enable is 0x10.. what happens if I chuck 0xff at it..)

(also only 7 settings for a 3 bit register.. one obvious missing one to try..).

--

Edit: Spent a morning on it. Typing the commands in the first post has no effect on the VSP, so after trying some different things stopped there.. I don't know enough about the protocol to go any further. Would have loved to get this working (would kill for reversing sounds or having lights that come on when it's raining). Couldn't even get my laptop to work with it.. I ended up typing commands into the phone..

Works great on my car. As others have said C is charge related sounds.

Thanks, Turbo3 for this cool addition to a great app.

oko said:
Open Google Play App, find Leaf Spy Pro. Scroll to the very end. You'll see "enroll in beta" or something like that. Check that box.
Thanx.. ;-)

I know how to load the beta if needed..

I was responding to the request to gather data on the 11/12 models to hopefully make those options work for us as well..

It sounds like at least I'd need to run some app (a terminal program or ??) to gather some data, which I could do..

But if it requires a lot of knowledge of how the ODB protocol works and finding undocumented commands, I might need some pointers..

desiv

Upgraded to the latest Beta and it worked perfectly on my 2016 SV.
I had previously disconnected the sound cable behind the glove box but the selective muting this hack provides is much better. Thanks, Turbo!

I just noticed something since I attempted to turn off the sound myself (not using LeafSpy): My seatbelt warning sound is not working anymore. Could this be sound A or sound B?

Got it working perfectly on my MY2015 Leaf S. Here is exactly what I did:

1. Bought Leafspy Pro from Play store. Scrolled to bottom, signed up for beta testing. Waited 10 minutes. Refreshed the LeafSpy Pro listing in google play store. An update appeared, which I installed .

2. I then opened LeafSpy, went into the settings (three little bars on upper right hand corner), and made sure the "service screen" was checkmarked. Clicked the back button on my phone, which brought me to the blue service screen.

3.I then clicked on VSP Settings, and edited to my hearts content. On first try, it gave me a "not supported" error, and during the attempt, I noticed the bluetooth connection in the bottom right was going wacko. So I just restarted my phone, restarted the leaf, and made sure the leaf was on and ready to drive (I was in accessory before). After that, it worked like a charm and very simple! I decided to disable the backup beep as well as the 0-18MPH driving noise. I like the startup song and the rest of the beeps.

Im super happy this function has made it into LeafSpy Pro! This was the catalyst to make me want to purchase the program. Well worth the $15.

Thanks again to the people that helped make this happen!!

eyedrop said:

1. Bought Leafspy Pro from Play store. Scrolled to bottom, signed up for beta testing. Waited 10 minutes. Refreshed the LeafSpy Pro listing in google play store. An update appeared, which I installed .

2. I then opened LeafSpy, went into the settings (three little bars on upper right hand corner), and made sure the "service screen" was checkmarked. Clicked the back button on my phone, which brought me to the blue service screen.

3.I then clicked on VSP Settings, and edited to my hearts content. On first try, it gave me a "not supported" error, and during the attempt, I noticed the bluetooth connection in the bottom right was going wacko. So I just restarted my phone, restarted the leaf, and made sure the leaf was on and ready to drive (I was in accessory before). After that, it worked like a charm and very simple! I decided to disable the backup beep as well as the 0-18MPH driving noise. I like the startup song and the rest of the beeps.

Im super happy this function has made it into LeafSpy Pro! This was the catalyst to make me want to purchase the program. Well worth the $15.

Have you tried to get the sounds back (enable) ?
If its as easy as pushing enable/disable I may consider this .

Anyone who disables the factory backup beeping is risking injuring someone, and also risking a lawsuit if it happens. Lowering the volume somewhat would seem to be a better idea.

ElectricEddy said:
eyedrop said:

Have you tried to get the sounds back (enable) ?
If its as easy as pushing enable/disable I may consider this .

I will test this sometime this weekend and report back.

Other features I would like to see implemented in LeafSpy:

1. Change traction control to default to OFF instead of ON after vehicle startup.
2. Enable "long life" mode 80% charge limit on newer Leafs, where the option is normally missing.
3. Remember last "drive mode". For example, if the car was last used in B mode, remember setting on next startup as opposed to defaulting back to D mode.

Back