Cart Before The Horse??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since EVGO seems to have no trouble building a single DCFC station with both kinds of connections, I don't think ChAdeMO will be dropped any time soon. Building an adapter would require finessing the car to charging station communications in ways that may be impractical to implement.

LeftieBiker said:
Since EVGO seems to have no trouble building a single DCFC station with both kinds of connections,
AFAIK, EVgo doesn't build any DC FCs. Their dual-standard ones I believe tend to be from ABB or BTC Power. The two nearest me at the same location look very similar to http://www.btcpower.com/products-and-applications/EV-Fast-Charger/.

LeftieBiker said:
Since EVGO seems to have no trouble building a single DCFC station with both kinds of connections, I don't think ChAdeMO will be dropped any time soon. Building an adapter would require finessing the car to charging station communications in ways that may be impractical to implement.

Good comments on an issue that also has to be resolved. It's silly how manufacturers can't learn from history and realize that proprietary connections don't increase their market share, but instead hold the entire market back. There have to be dozens of examples of this in recent history.

I don't understand why they would fade out CHADEMO (which I paid extra for), when it has never been used to a significant degree...???

PS - In order to correct some misperceptions about my previous post, I will succinctly repeat my points. I stated that I do not care about those who present Leaf range as the reason for why electric cars are not selling (poo poo). For those that have a longer commute than the Leaf can deliver, I think they should not buy a Leaf. They should not fault the Leaf CAR because it does not suit their particular needs. I think that the current 30KW Leaf is perfect for the masses of future electric car owners.

Secondly, I do not feel that the Car companies are at a loss on why their electric cars are not selling. They are in complete control of the sales of electric cars, and they do not want to sell more cars. (if they can market and sell a "squatty potty", they can sell anything).

Lastly, I agreed with several posters that what we really need are charging stations in every possible place that people go. THAT would get people's awareness of electric cars.. Again, I think that car companies do not want to increase their current volume of electric car sales.

webb14leafs said:
Good comments on an issue that also has to be resolved. It's silly how manufacturers can't learn from history and realize that proprietary connections don't increase their market share, but instead hold the entire market back. There have to be dozens of examples of this in recent history.

The industry has already spoken and CHAdeMO is the protocol of choice today. The only other standard close to it in deployed chargers is the Tesla Supercharger, CCS has very few deployed chargers. The same is true of cars on the roads, of the top 5 most popular electric cars (Leaf, Tesla, Zoe, i-MEv, i3) only one of them is available with a CCS port (BMW i3). The Leaf and i-MEv use CHAdeMO and Tesla has an adapter, with the Zoe using a propitiatory AC fast charger. Going forward, if Tesla succeeds in hitting their production numbers, they will deliver an overwhelming number of electric cars to the roads worldwide that natively use the Supercharger but can use CHAdeMO. Additionally, if Tesla actually manages to meet their projections for new Superchargers, they could drastically exceed the number of both CHAdeMO and CCS chargers worldwide. So from the perspective of someone building charging infrastructure, there is no question - install CHAdeMO chargers, all the popular cars can use them even if the Tesla owners have to get out an adapter. For car owners, it will end up like gas vs diesel - CHAdeMO all over, but you have to look to find a CCS station.

tirianw said:
For car owners, it will end up like gas vs diesel - CHAdeMO all over, but you have to look to find a CCS station.

This will vary by locale, but in my area there are far more CCS chargers today than there were CHAdeMO back when I got my Leaf in 2013. Most non-Tesla fast chargers in my area seem to be the dual-unit type. Areas that lack a CCS unit tend to lack CHAdeMO as well, and often lack even L2.

tirianw said:
The industry has already spoken and CHAdeMO is the protocol of choice today. The only other standard close to it in deployed chargers is the Tesla Supercharger, CCS has very few deployed chargers.
So from the perspective of someone building charging infrastructure, there is no question - install CHAdeMO chargers, all the popular cars can use them even if the Tesla owners have to get out an adapter. For car owners, it will end up like gas vs diesel - CHAdeMO all over, but you have to look to find a CCS station.
You should chime in over at "TMC". Over at https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/why-tesla-doesnt-make-a-ccs-adapter-like-chademo.76653/page-9, stopcrazypp has got to be the biggest fanboy of CCS over there. Also, look at this guy's post: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/why-tesla-doesnt-make-a-ccs-adapter-like-chademo.76653/page-9#post-2122383.

Back