OEM EVSE Bargain?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenc

I ran across a couple OEM EVSE's on OfferUp, and I am going to pick one up tomorrow for $80. At that price, should I just get both of them?
I see that they sell for a lot more than that here and on eBay. I figured I would send one to EVSE upgrade and keep my original one in the car, but always looking for a bargain... :D

My plan is to have an EVSEupgrade.com EVSE in the car. I may never use it, but in a pinch I can charge at pretty much any RV campground site with an adapter at up to 4.8 kW

We had intentions of going that route but after multiple contact attempts to contact the EVSE upgrade folks thru email or phone with no success, we have decided to get one of the Chinese EVSE's. Cheaper and they contactable. I agree though, having a 240 volt charger in the car is a nice back up.

Two OEM EVSEs from the same seller?

I've no personal experience, but my bike forum pals claim these kinds of sites are eclipsing CL very quickly as the places to move merchandise that may not be in the legal possession of the seller. Pursue these bargains with great care, Grasshopper!

Also, I continue to have very good experiences with the good folks from EVSE Upgrade, including one just a couple of months ago.

He actually had three left, but I only bought one. He is the F&I guy at a local Porsche dealer now, but worked for a Nissan dealer for many years before that. He said that Nissan sent them hundreds of extra chargers for some reason, and his supervisor told him at some point to just get rid of all the extras. He said they literally threw dozens of them away, along with extra key fobs. He held on to a few of them and has slowly sold them off over the last couple years. They were all like new, unlike the one that came with my car.
I know enough about the car business to know he wasn't making this stuff up.
He said that they even got a visit from some of the top brass from Nissan a few years back when the Leafs started coming off lease and they were being wholesaled for $8-10K. They had obviously misjudged the market for these cars.

To be fair I have heard good things about them. I have just had crappy luck contacting them. I'll try once more. I need to find out if it's worth getting my 2016 EVSE upgraded or just get one of those duosida 240 units. I'm not certain but the way I read it my 2016 EVSE will be the same output as the duosida and the duosida is much cheaper. I think it's different for other years but for some reason the 2016 EVSE's have lower output. I was hoping to discuss this with them and see which way is the better path.

Thanks for the comeback.

Safe travels.

webeleafowners said:
To be fair I have heard good things about them. I have just had crappy luck contacting them. I'll try once more. I need to find out if it's worth getting my 2016 EVSE upgraded or just get one of those duosida 240 units. I'm not certain but the way I read it my 2016 EVSE will be the same output as the duosida and the duosida is much cheaper. I think it's different for other years but for some reason the 2016 EVSE's have lower output. I was hoping to discuss this with them and see which way is the better path.

Thanks for the comeback.

Safe travels.
Yes the newer Leaf EVSEs are made of cheaper parts, wiring for sure. They used to be 12 gauge capable of 20a but the new ones cheapened out with 14 gauge and can only be upgraded to 15 or is it 16a...
I had my '13 upgraded and consider it money well spent, up to 20a @ 240v but unfortunately only 12a @ 120v. The Duosida does 16a on all voltages. If I had one of the newer Leafs I would NOT do the upgrade, much cheaper alternatives for a 15 or 16a EVSE, including the Duosida you mentioned. The one downside though to the cheap Duosida's though is you cannot limit the current, it charges at 16a(if your Leaf goes that high) making it unusable for a 15a standard 120v circuit :(
Really the best option is our Zencar adjustable 6-30a EVSEs, not a whole lot more than a EVSE upgrade and does a whole lot more. Of course if your OK with a fixed 16a then the <$200 Duosida may be a good option too.

Regarding purchasing used EVSEs, it sounds like the OPs seller is legit but I always wonder when I see one for sale if the seller hasn't just "found" one hooked to someone's Leaf.......I for one wouldn't feel right purchasing one that might have been stolen from a charging Leaf, no matter what the price. Not sure how prevalent this might be, probably not very common but I bet it happens is areas where Leafs are more common.

Yah. Totally agree. The duosida at 200 would fit in the bag with the OEM and all bases would be covered. I'll contact EVSE upgrade and see if they can do something competitive otherwise we'll just get a duosida. It would work well for the smart ed as well as it only charges at 3.3 KW.

webeleafowners said:
Yah. Totally agree. The duosida at 200 would fit in the bag with the OEM and all bases would be covered. I'll contact EVSE upgrade and see if they can do something competitive otherwise we'll just get a duosida. It would work well for the smart ed as well as it only charges at 3.3 KW.
The one big caveat, and the reason I wouldn't carry just the duosida in my Leaf if I had the 6.6kw charger is it would draw 16a @ 120v and no way to lower it. This would limit your emergency charging to ONLY 20a circuits, something you may not have access to in said emergency. Now if your EV only drew 12a @ 120v(like the pre '13 and 3.3kw Leafs do) you'd be good to go. As it is my '13 Leaf would draw 16a @ 120v and I wouldn't want to limit my charging to only 20a circuits.
Really the duosida is idea for a 3.3kw Leaf. It would output 16a @ 240v(the max the duosida would put out and the max that Leaf would draw) or 12a @ 120v for all 120v outlets, a one size fits all for that kind of Leaf. Of course if your willing to limit yourself to 20a 120v circuits then the cheap duosida would work just fine for the 6.6kw Leafs too.

jjeff said:
webeleafowners said:
The one big caveat, and the reason I wouldn't carry just the duosida in my Leaf if I had the 6.6kw charger is it would draw 16a @ 120v and no way to lower it. This would limit your emergency charging to ONLY 20a circuits, something you may not have access to in said emergency. Now if your EV only drew 12a @ 120v(like the pre '13 and 3.3kw Leafs do) you'd be good to go. As it is my '13 Leaf would draw 16a @ 120v and I wouldn't want to limit my charging to only 20a circuits.
Really the duosida is idea for a 3.3kw Leaf. It would output 16a @ 240v(the max the duosida would put out and the max that Leaf would draw) or 12a @ 120v for all 120v outlets, a one size fits all for that kind of Leaf. Of course if your willing to limit yourself to 20a 120v circuits then the cheap duosida would work just fine for the 6.6kw Leafs too.

Yah. I see the compromise Jeff but I think I would just keep the OEM for situations where I needed to charge at 12 amp 120. The smart also came with a 12 amp 120 EVSE. My cup runneth over for EVSE's at this point. The only one we actually use is the Juice Box 40 but I have it mounted on the wall in the garage. Charging at 16A instead of 27 would be a compromise but then again it's purpose will be for emergency situations.

warrenc said:
He actually had three left, but I only bought one. He is the F&I guy at a local Porsche dealer now, but worked for a Nissan dealer for many years before that. He said that Nissan sent them hundreds of extra chargers for some reason, and his supervisor told him at some point to just get rid of all the extras. He said they literally threw dozens of them away, along with extra key fobs. He held on to a few of them and has slowly sold them off over the last couple years. They were all like new, unlike the one that came with my car.
I know enough about the car business to know he wasn't making this stuff up.
He said that they even got a visit from some of the top brass from Nissan a few years back when the Leafs started coming off lease and they were being wholesaled for $8-10K. They had obviously misjudged the market for these cars.
His former boss told him to "get rid of all the extras" by selling them and putting the money is his pocket. Riiiight. They threw away dozens of items that the parts desk was selling for bucks. Riiight.

It's just conjecture on my part, but these things sure sound like stolen merch.

davewill" His former boss told him to "get rid of all the extras" by selling them and putting the money is his pocket. Riiiight. They threw away dozens of items that the parts desk was selling for bucks. Riiight. It's just conjecture on my part said:
A nice clean cut younger couple in a nice suburban home with 3 kids. I should have seen through that right away. Obviously a front for a crime ring!

SageBrush said:
warrenc said:
A nice clean cut younger couple!
Were you expecting poor hygiene and dark skin ?
Let the records show that I never mentioned anything about race or skin color!

Poor hygiene, poorly educated and a poor attitude I have come to expect. I am always pleasantly surprised when I don't find it. :shock:

warrenc said:
A nice clean cut younger couple in a nice suburban home with 3 kids. I should have seen through that right away. Obviously a front for a crime ring!
Happens every day. A lot of theft is done by perfectly respectable-looking people taking stuff at work they think won't be missed or isn't "wanted".

Update. I have been in contact with Mark at EVSE upgrade. Third time is the charm and communications have been good this time. Wondering now if the emails were going to junk mail or not making out of our server. Anyway Mark has been giving me some things to think about. Now kinda leaning towards one of his EVSE's but would probably make sure it is the 20 amp. We'll figure it out.

For under $25 I converted my Nissan EVSE from 120V 12A to 240V 12A and have been using it for over 3 years without any problems. I know EVSEUpgrade can achieve 240V 16A on the original Nissan EVSE for $300 but this is much cheaper and works well for 1/10th the price.!!
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=16948

Back