IT IS 3 (now 2) MINUTES TO MIDNIGHT

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RegGuheert said:
Nubo said:
It's 12:01.
Really?

In reality, you cannot name a single global, climate-related effect which is moving in a negative direction.

No one is interested in listening to this Chicken Little nonsense any longer.

No one in your circles, perhaps. I suggest you clap your hands over your ears, close your eyes, and...SING!

LeftieBiker said:
RegGuheert said:
Nubo said:
Really?

In reality, you cannot name a single global, climate-related effect which is moving in a negative direction.

No one in your circles, perhaps. I suggest you clap your hands over your ears, close your eyes, and...SING!
Nope. When I hear the claims, I look at the measured data. And I have posted it for all here to see for many years. See immediately above how I provided detailed data above how India and China are massively polluting our world and the Paris agreement was just a crooked means for US to fund that nonsense. As everyone can clearly see, you are not describing me. Your ad hominem attack is just that: a logical fallacy with no merit in this discussion.

Fortunately, virtually every single one of the scare stories which has been bandied about has proven OPPOSITE of what the actual measurements show. It's amazing what people will believe. If you believe otherwise, you will need more than fallacies to support your assertions.

RegGuheert said:
Fortunately, virtually every single one of the scare stories which has been bandied about has proven OPPOSITE of what the actual measurements show. It's amazing what people will believe. If you believe otherwise, you will need more than fallacies to support your assertions.

Amusing.

The ocean is rising.

Ice doesn't care. Gets above 0C, it melts.

WetEV said:
The ocean is rising.
Yes. The ocean is rising very slowly, just like it has for thousands of years. Before that, the sea level rose at a MUCH higher rate. And sea level is NOT rising at nearly half of the tidal gauges around the world. At many of them, it is dropping. Is there something about the ocean rising slowly that alarms you?
WetEV said:
So what? You make this nonsense statement repeatedly. But there is nothing scary about that.

BTW, WetEV, just like California, you just experienced the wettest winter ever out there. Nothing like the "permanent drought" which had just been declared months before by, guess who?: The New York Times.

RegGuheert said:
GRA said:
On a more positive note, via the NYT:
There is NOTHING positive about the world's two largest populations and polluters rapidly increasing their pollution. By quoting fake news and praising China and India's practices, you are showing your extreme hypocrisy.
Reg. please, stop hyperventilating.

RegGuheert said:
Let's look at the actual facts:

- India's "pledge" to the Paris Agreement was to triple their emissions by 2030 and get paid $166B EACH YEAR by foolish nations to do that.
- India's goal is to double emissions by 2020:
India Times said:
The country is the world's third-largest coal producer and the third-biggest greenhouse gas emitter. It depends on coal for about three-fifths of its energy needs and aims to double its output to 1.5 billion tonnes by 2020.
- Promising to reduce "emissions intensity" is simply a con. It is nothing like *actually* reducing emissions.
I quite agree that promising to reduce emissions is nothing like actually reducing them. That's one reason I find it hard to get too excited about the Paris agreement, or our pulling out of it. AFAIC, voluntary agreements aren't worth the paper they're written on. What would matter would be mandatory agreements with an enforcement mechanism and the willingness to use it, and Paris lacks all of that. We've already seen just how many countries failed to meet their goals under Kyoto, most embarrassingly including the host, Japan: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/blog/2012/nov/26/kyoto-protocol-carbon-emissions

No, the main value of Paris, IMO, was that for the first time we were able to get China and India to agree to set any goals for themselves, and to slow the growth of fossil-fueled plants. Both countries are running as fast as they can just trying to stay in place, as electricity demand has risen rapidly (slowing in China though).

RegGuheert said:
Your info re China is out of date:
In August 2013 the State Council said that China should reduce its carbon emissions by 40-45% by 2020 from 2005 levels, and would aim to boost renewable energy to 15% of its total primary energy consumption by 2020. In 2012 China was the world’s largest source of carbon emissions – 2626 MtC (9.64 Gt CO2), and its increment that year comprised about 70% of world total increase. In March 2014 the Premier said that the government was declaring “war on pollution” and would accelerate closing coal-fired power stations.In November 2014 the Premier announced that China intended about 20% of its primary energy consumption to be from non-fossil fuels by 2030, at which time it intended its peak of CO2 emissions to occur. This 20% target is part of the 13th Five-Year Plan and was reiterated by the president at the Paris climate change conference in December 2015, along with reducing CO2 emissions by 60 to 65% from 2005 levels by 2030. . . .

In the 13th Five-Year Plan for power production announced by the NEA in November 2016, by 2020 coal capacity will be limited to 1100 GWe by cancelling and postponing about 150 GWe of projects. Gas in 2020 is projected at 110 GWe, hydro 340 GWe, wind 210 GWe, and solar 110 GWe of which distributed PV is to be 60 GWe. Nuclear 58 GWe was reiterated for 2020. Non-fossil 770 GWe will then produce 15% of electricity.

Which was followed by:
The report said the amount of new capacity starting construction was down 62% in 2016 on the year before, and work was frozen at more than a hundred sites in China and India. In January, China’s energy regulator halted work on a further 100 new coal-fired projects, suggesting the trend was not going away.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/mar/22/coal-power-plants-green-energy-china-india

RegGuheert said:
- India and China together hold OVER 60% of the world's coal reserves. Paying for them to build coal-fired plants would ensure that coal gets burned quickly.
Again, your info re India is out of date:
Just a few years ago, the world watched nervously as India went on a building spree of coal-fired power plants, more than doubling its capacity and claiming that more were needed. Coal output, officials said, would almost triple, to 1.5 billion tons, by 2020.

India’s plans were cited by American critics of the Paris climate accord as proof of the futility of advanced nations trying to limit their carbon output. But now, even as President Trump pulls the United States out of the pact, India has undergone an astonishing turnaround, driven in great part by a steep fall in the cost of solar power.

Experts now say that India not only has no need of any new coal-fired plants for at least a decade, given that existing plants are running below 60 percent of capacity, but that after that it could rely on renewable sources for all its additional power needs.*

Rather than building coal-fired plants, it is now canceling many in the early planning stages. And last month, the government lowered its annual production target for coal to 600 million tons from 660 million.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/world/asia/india-coal-green-energy-climate.html

* Highly questionable absent cheap storage. See below re Chinese curtailment of PV/Wind.

Now, would I prefer that China and India give up coal-fired plants entirely? Sure. Is that realistic? Not now, barring a complete shift to nukes (which they're also building in large numbers) for baseload. At least the coal plants they are building, especially in the case of China, are much more efficient and less polluting than the ones they are replacing, as both countries' politicians are increasingly being driven by public pressure over air pollution:
China is well advanced in developing and deploying supercritical and ultra-supercritical coal plants, as well as moving quickly to design and deploy technologies for integrated (coal) gasification combined cycle (IGCC) plants. Nevertheless it consumed about 4.3 billion tonnes of coal in 2013, more than half the world total, and coal peaked at more than 70% of China’s primary energy then, dropping to 64% in 2015 as fossil fuel generation declined. By 2020 it is expected to use some 3.5 billion tonnes of coal annually, and for coal to comprise only 55% of primary energy consumption. However, after authority for approving new coal-fired plants was given to provincial governments late in 2014, in 2015 state-owned companies received preliminary or full approval to build 165 GWe of new coal-fired capacity, some of which would be offset by retirement of older plants. But total coal consumption dropped by 3.7% in that year, and in October 2016 coal-fired plants had an average load factor of only 46%. In March 2016, the NEA ordered 13 provinces to suspend approvals of new projects until 2017, and another 15 to delay construction of new projects that had already been approved. Taken together, this required about 110 GWe of suspensions.

Wind and solar generating capacity has been expanding rapidly, much of it with private investment encouraged by government policies, such as CNY 0.54 per kWh feed-in tariff (FIT). In 2016, 17.3 GWe of new wind capacity and 34.8 GWe of solar PV was installed, but the capacity factors decreased. There is a high level of curtailment on wind generation, because of inadequate grid connections. In 2016 some 50 TWh of potential wind output – about 20% on average and up to 50% in some provinces – was curtailed, according to the National Energy Administration, and several provinces* have been ordered to stop approving wind projects until they improve transmission infrastructure. In 2016 the curtailment was mainly in Gansu (43% of production), Xinjiang (38%), Jilin (30%), Inner Mongolia (21%), and Heilongjiang (19%).

There is a similar situation for grid-connected solar, with 7 TWh being curtailed – about 20% in the main five provinces, and the capacity factor is about 17%. In 2016 NDRC reduced wind FITs by 5% to 13% and solar utility FITs by 24% to 31%. The 13th Five-Year Plan has about 16 GWe/yr of wind addition, and aims to reduce grid curtailment from wind to 5%. However, having made huge investments, many wind and solar power producers have been affected by grid curtailment rates in the 30% range for the past few years.
http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/country-profiles/countries-a-f/china-nuclear-power.aspx

RegGuheert said:
- Last winter, some cities in Europe reached pllution levels equivalent to seven cigarettes per day while some cities in China and India reached the equivalent of a pack a day.
- The US is building ZERO coal-fired power plants and currently has no plans to build any. The air quality in the U.S. is not nearly as bad as that in some cities in Europe and China.

I'm sorry, GRA, but it is extremely unwise for the U.S. to tax our citizens to PAY India and China to build coal-fired power plants as quickly as they can. If you think that is a good idea, then shame on you. That's the asinine agreement for which Obama signed up and from which President Trump just extricated us.
Which assumes that such money transfers would ever have taken place, and that's as likely as NATO countries meeting their agreed financial commitments, or charity donor countries meeting theirs. Again, it's all voluntary, and not worth the paper it's written on. What does matter is that politicians have to think about it, and then convince their own public why it's not a good idea to take steps that reduce air pollution, regardless of whether or not they believe in AGCC.

RegGuheert said:
WetEV said:
The ocean is rising.
Yes. The ocean is rising very slowly, just like it has for thousands of years. Before that, the sea level rose at a MUCH higher rate. And sea level is NOT rising at nearly half of the tidal gauges around the world. At many of them, it is dropping. Is there something about the ocean rising slowly that alarms you?
WetEV said:
So what? You make this nonsense statement repeatedly. But there is nothing scary about that.

BTW, WetEV, just like California, you just experienced the wettest winter ever out there. Nothing like the "permanent drought" which had just been declared months before by, guess who?: The New York Times.
Actually, the article said unending drought (to that point), not that it was permanent. California has always had cycles of drought; the concern is that they're getting longer, and that more of the precip in wet years is likely to fall as rain instead of snow (which thankfully didn't happen too much this year, or we might have seen the Oroville dam collapse, instead of just the spillway fail). The state depends on snowpack for about 30% of its annual water supply, and lacks storage if more falls as rain (or warm rain causes rapid melting, as happened a couple of times this past season, leading to major flooding). I know that you don't believe in AGCC, but for those of us who are worried about it it's a major concern. Besides the steps that need to be taken to reduce air pollution are much the same as those for reducing GHGs, so why take the chance of guessing wrong about AGCC if we want to do those things anyway?

RegGuheert said:
Nubo said:
Really?

Yeah, well it was a joke. The "minutes to midnight" trope is doomed to fizzle. I mean you can only get so close. Zeno's paradox doesn't play well with the visceral impact. "It's .0000000001 seconds to midnight"... it just doesn't play. So I went to 12:01 to get it over with. The anticipation was killing me.

GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
I quite agree that promising to reduce emissions is nothing like actually reducing them.
You need to reread what I wrote along with the link. India NEVER agreed to reduce their emissions in the short term. What they agreed to reduce was "emissions intensity". Again, they have pledged to INCREASE emissions by a factor of three by 2030. Sorry, but your belief that they agreed to reduce them is incorrect.
GRA said:
No, the main value of Paris, IMO, was that for the first time we were able to get China and India to agree to set any goals for themselves, and to slow the growth of fossil-fueled plants. Both countries are running as fast as they can just trying to stay in place, as electricity demand has risen rapidly (slowing in China though).
You'll have to provide some evidence that the proposals from China and India were actually to slow emissions growth in the short term. In the case of India, they were demanding funds so that they could HASTEN their growth.
GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
Your info re China is out of date:
In August 2013 the State Council said that China should reduce its carbon emissions by 40-45% by 2020 from 2005 levels, and would aim to boost renewable energy to 15% of its total primary energy consumption by 2020. In 2012 China was the world’s largest source of carbon emissions – 2626 MtC (9.64 Gt CO2), and its increment that year comprised about 70% of world total increase. In March 2014 the Premier said that the government was declaring “war on pollution” and would accelerate closing coal-fired power stations.In November 2014 the Premier announced that China intended about 20% of its primary energy consumption to be from non-fossil fuels by 2030, at which time it intended its peak of CO2 emissions to occur. This 20% target is part of the 13th Five-Year Plan and was reiterated by the president at the Paris climate change conference in December 2015, along with reducing CO2 emissions by 60 to 65% from 2005 levels by 2030. . . .
My information is newer than everything in the above paragraph. I quoted ACTUAL coal power plant construction data from a report dated October 2016. Do you have something that says that China is NOT constructing 205 new coal-fired electricity plants or that India is not building 65? No, you don't. So, tell me, how many coal-fired plants are they currently building?
GRA said:
RegGuheert said:
- India and China together hold OVER 60% of the world's coal reserves. Paying for them to build coal-fired plants would ensure that coal gets burned quickly.
Again, your info re India is out of date:
No, it's not. Check it again: The article is dated May 15, 2017. India may be telling others one thing, but it is clear that they CURRENTLY plan to massively grow coal generation.
India Times said:
The country is the world's third-largest coal producer and the third-biggest greenhouse gas emitter. It depends on coal for about three-fifths of its energy needs and aims to double its output to 1.5 billion tonnes by 2020.
India Times said:
NITI Aayog estimates renewables will account for 10-17 percent of India's energy demand in 2047, up from about 4 percent now, while the share of natural gas could be limited to 8-10 percent.
GRA said:
What does matter is that politicians have to think about it, and then convince their own public why it's not a good idea to take steps that reduce air pollution, regardless of whether or not they believe in AGCC.
Do you know of ANY politician who is trying to convince the public that it is not a good idea to take steps that reduce air pollution?

Here is what President Trump promised in his speech last Wednesday:
President Donald J. Trump said:
The United States, under the Trump administration, will continue to be the cleanest and most environmentally friendly country on Earth. We'll be the cleanest. We're going to have the cleanest air. We're going to have the cleanest water.
Most coal-fired plants in the U.S. are rather clean in terms of emissions. My gripe with the use of coal and other fossil fuels in our country has always been the environmental damage done to access those resources. In China and India, OTOH, it is clear that air pollution is also a massive problem.

Frankly, it is ridiculous for people like Angela Merkel to criticize the US for our policies when she has spent massive amounts of money and done massive environmental damage over the past 10 years without succeeding in reducing emissions in her own country. But when China criticizes us in this area, it is complete and utter nonsense.

Nubo said:
Yeah, well it was a joke. The "minutes to midnight" trope is doomed to fizzle. I mean you can only get so close. Zeno's paradox doesn't play well with the visceral impact. "It's .0000000001 seconds to midnight"... it just doesn't play. So I went to 12:01 to get it over with. The anticipation was killing me.
Ha! Got it! Thanks for explaining it to me in small words!

RegGuheert said:
WetEV said:
The ocean is rising.
Yes. The ocean is rising very slowly, just like it has for thousands of years.

Sea-Level-1.gif

Looks to me rather like the rate is increasing.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6269-ancient-romes-fish-pens-confirm-sea-level-fears/

Oh, and not for thousands of years.

RegGuheert said:
Before that, the sea level rose at a MUCH higher rate.

Yes, While the climate was warming about 4C over roughly 10,000 years, the sea level rose. At the peak, as much as two feet per decade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meltwater_pulse_1A

Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

4C... before 2100?

WetEV said:
Sea-Level-1.gif

Looks to me rather like the rate is increasing.
Actually, that plot does not indicate that the slope is increasing. What it shows is that the slope changed in 1925. The slope was higher between 1925 and 1955, but sea level rise has been a bit slower since that time. Since 1925, global sea level has risen a total of about 200 mm, or about eight inches, according to your graph. In other words, the sea has risen at a slope of just over one inch per decade for the last nine decades. No one should be alarmed by such a slow rise in sea level.

And, BTW, all those alarming pictures of Manhattan underwater are just unscientific fakery. In fact, sea level at lower Manhattan has been steadily dropping at a rate of about 100 mm/decade for the past eight years:

Image581_shadow.png

What most people don't know is that increasing sea level does NOT imply that coastal land is lost to the sea. In fact, the opposite is true. When the amount of coastal land gained and lost to the sea is measured over the entire planet, we find that the coastal land area is GROWING, not shrinking:
Donchyts et al. said:
Earth’s surface gained 115,000 km2 of water and 173,000 km2 of land over the past 30 years, including 20,135 km2 of water and 33,700 km2 of land in coastal areas.
Simply put: Coastal land area is NOT dominated by sea level rise: "Coastal erosion and accretion, tectonic uplift and subsidence…are far more influential."
WetEV said:
4C... before 2100?
Nonsense. Global temperatures have only risen about 0.5C in the last 40 years. Even if we extrapolated linear from today, we will only expect 1C rise in the next 80 years. But that is not how the climate works.

But that's not how climate works. Temperature trends are cyclical. We know that the global temperature closely follows the temperature of the oceans. Specifically, we see that global temperatures follow the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation (AMO):

Image529_shadow.png

And since the global temperature closely follows the AMO, we should all expect that it will follow it back down for the next fifty or sixty years. Here is a historical plot of the AMO which should give you an idea where temperatures will be going in the near future:

Image520_shadow.png

WetEV said:
There's that say-nothing quote again. The simple fact is that the Arctic melt this year has been the slowest in 12 years due to the fact that the temperatures have been much lower than normal:

meanT_2017.png

Image650_shadow-1024x592.png

Image646_shadow.png

Likewise, the Antarctic Peninsula is in a trend of rapidly cooling at a rate of 0.47C/decade since 1999.

RegGuheert said:
WetEV said:
The ocean is rising.

WetEV said:

I notice that you avoided the near net zero slope since Roman times. The ocean has not been rising slowly for thousands of years. The ocean level has stable for most of the past two thousand years. Do you agree, or do you have sources to dispute this?

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg1/WG1AR5_Chapter13_FINAL.pdf

13.2.1.4 The Late Holocene
Since the AR4, there has been significant progress in resolving the sea
level history of the last 7000 years. RSL records indicate that from ~7
to 3 ka, GMSL likely rose 2 to 3 m to near present-day levels (Chapter
5). Based on local sea level records spanning the last 2000 years, there
is medium confidence that fluctuations in GMSL during this interval
have not exceeded ~ ±0.25 m on time scales of a few hundred years
(Section 5.6.3, Figure 13.3a). The most robust signal captured in salt
marsh records from both Northern and Southern Hemispheres supports
the AR4 conclusion for a transition from relatively low rates of
change during the late Holocene (order tenths of mm yr–1) to modern
rates (order mm yr–1) (Section 5.6.3, Figure 13.3b). However, there
is variability in the magnitude and the timing (1840–1920) of this
increase in both paleo and instrumental (tide gauge) records (Section
3.7). By combining paleo sea level records with tide gauge records at
the same localities, Gehrels and Woodworth (2013) concluded that
sea level began to rise above the late Holocene background rate
between 1905 and 1945, consistent with the conclusions by Lambeck
et al. (2004).

WetEV said:
RegGuheert said:
WetEV said:
The ocean is rising.
WetEV said:
I notice that you avoided the near net zero slope since Roman times. The ocean has not been rising slowly for thousands of years.
I'm not sure what you are on about. Look again carefully at the graph you posted. Sea level has gone up NO MORE THAN ABOUT THREE METERS IN THE LAST SEVEN THOUSAND YEARS. That's about 4.3mm/decade. That matches what I said:
RegGuheert said:
The ocean is rising very slowly, just like it has for thousands of years.

RegGuheert said:
WetEV said:
RegGuheert said:
I notice that you avoided the near net zero slope since Roman times. The ocean has not been rising slowly for thousands of years.
I'm not sure what you are on about. Look again carefully at the graph you posted. Sea level has gone up NO MORE THAN ABOUT THREE METERS IN THE LAST SEVEN THOUSAND YEARS. That's about 4.3mm/decade. That matches what I said:
RegGuheert said:
The ocean is rising very slowly, just like it has for thousands of years.

IPCC said:
The most robust signal captured in salt marsh records from both Northern and Southern Hemispheres supports the AR4 conclusion for a transition from relatively low rates of change during the late Holocene (order tenths of mm yr–1) to modern rates (order mm yr–1) (Section 5.6.3, Figure 13.3b).

Sea level fall from Roman Times to pre-industrial, not from 7,000 years ago, or 20,000 years ago.

The last 2000 years up until sometime between 1905 and 1945, sea levels didn't change much.

A small point, but indicative.

A larger point would be your statement that the Arctic Ocean will never be mostly ice free in summer.

George Orwell said:
(W)e are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: the only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield.

WetEV said:
A larger point would be your statement that the Arctic Ocean will never be mostly ice free in summer.
I never said that. Lying to try to paint others in a negative light shows the quality of your character.

I did say this:
RegGuheert said:
There is no "death spiral". In fact, there is no "death" at all. And the idea that the ice will spiral to zero volume is just that: a failed belief.
That was in response to an exchange which looked like this:
WetEV said:
I'm sure you already are working on an explanation for a blue water North Pole. It will be GREAT, right?
RegGuheert said:
Why should I do that? Do you think the North Pole will be blue anytime soon? Like virtually every prediction made regarding climate doom, a blue North Pole in two years is virtually certain to be wrong. (Not that there would be ANYTHING bad about a blue North Pole.) You should look again at the GIF above. This time look carefully. Unlike in March 2016 and some earlier years, the North Pole is now completely socked in with multi-year ice for hundreds of miles in ALL directions. The prospects of blue water at the North Pole is getting more remote, NOT more likely.

Would you like to go on record and tell us when YOU think the North Pole will be blue?
As should be clear to all, YOU are the one who was trying to put words into my mouth by making a statement about an extremely unlikely event as if it was a foregone conclusion. All the rest was you trying to deflect and walk back from such a ridiculous statement.

So, put up or shut up: Can you name a single global, climate-related effect which is moving in a negative direction? Clearly you can't, or you would have already done it.
- The recent, gradual global sea level rise which we have experienced cannot be characterized as a negative since global coastal land area is INCREASING, not decreasing.
- The recent, gradual global increases in temperature cannot be characterized as negative since population, food production and green plant life are all steadily increasing and global hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, floods are all flat or trending down. Also, global temperatures are quite likely to continue to follow the AMO as they have in the past, which means they will be headed down in the very near future.
- Reduction in the area or volume of sea ice cannot be characterizes as negative. If anything, less sea ice is a positive since ice tends to hamper navigation on the seas. Polar bears populations are way up in the last decade or so. The historical record indicates the Arctic Sea Ice is roughly the same as it was back in the 20th century.

I've provided the scientific data to support all of these statements. I'll trot them out again for all to see if you really want me to.

And CO2 level in ppm is doing what?
We can actually measure what happens at 400, at 450, at 500, at 550, in a lab. No need to make predictions.

Let's assume nothing else beside CO2 level changes. What will happen in 50 years and what will happen in 100 years?
Let's keep world's population, Sun's activity, sea level, ice coverage etc.. all fixed.

the public get risk wrong because powerful interests make a serious effort to scare them about some of life’s little hazards, or to reassure them about others.

https://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2017/06/14/camouflage-or-scary-monsters-deceiving-others-about-risk/

What's the worst that could happen?

Unfortunately, it looks like we will probably find out...

IS IT SO BAD IF THE WORLD GETS A LITTLE HOTTER? UH, YEAH

...If humanity burns through all its fossil fuel reserves, there is the potential to warm the planet by perhaps more than 10 degrees Celsius and raise sea levels by hundreds of feet. This is a warming spike comparable in magnitude to that so far measured for the End-Permian mass extinction. If the worst-case scenarios come to pass, today’s modestly menacing ocean-climate system will seem quaint. Even warming to half of that amount would create a planet that would have nothing to do with the one on which humans evolved, or on which civilization has been built. The last time it was 4 degrees warmer there was no ice at either pole and sea level was hundreds of feet higher than it is today...
https://www.wired.com/story/is-it-so-bad-if-the-world-gets-a-little-hotter-uh-yeah/

Fortunately, it doesn't look likely to top 110 degrees up here in North California... until Summer really hits, in a few more weeks.

Record-threatening, ‘crazy’ heat forecast for western U.S. early next week

Interior California and the desert Southwest are bracing for a long and intense heat wave, forecast to start this weekend and continue well into next week.

The worst of the heat is expected Monday or Tuesday, when many locations will witness temperatures 15 to 30 degrees above normal, challenging records.

The National Weather Service has hoisted an excessive heat warning for Phoenix on Sunday through Wednesday, and excessive heat watches in Las Vegas, San Jose and Sacramento for the weekend and early next week.

In Phoenix, high temperatures are forecast to reach 110 to 120 degrees during this extended stretch...

Monday and Tuesday could be historically hot days, near 120 degrees — which would rank among the top five hottest temperatures ever recorded in Phoenix...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/06/14/record-threatening-crazy-heat-forecast-for-western-u-s-early-next-week/?utm_term=.813a3cf8c1f8

edatoakrun said:
<nsip>
Record-threatening, ‘crazy’ heat forecast for western U.S. early next week

Interior California and the desert Southwest are bracing for a long and intense heat wave, forecast to start this weekend and continue well into next week.

The worst of the heat is expected Monday or Tuesday, when many locations will witness temperatures 15 to 30 degrees above normal, challenging records.

The National Weather Service has hoisted an excessive heat warning for Phoenix on Sunday through Wednesday, and excessive heat watches in Las Vegas, San Jose and Sacramento for the weekend and early next week.

In Phoenix, high temperatures are forecast to reach 110 to 120 degrees during this extended stretch...

Monday and Tuesday could be historically hot days, near 120 degrees — which would rank among the top five hottest temperatures ever recorded in Phoenix...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/06/14/record-threatening-crazy-heat-forecast-for-western-u-s-early-next-week/?utm_term=.813a3cf8c1f8
The weird part as far as Norcal is that we had snow in the Lake Tahoe area just last Sunday, as well as high winds, some light rain, thunder and lightning, hail, a funnel cloud and below average temps in the Bay Area and Sacramento. While not unheard of, snow in June is extremely rare - even May is somewhat uncommon. Temps have been climbing steadily since then, and were in the normal range the past couple of days, but are forecast to break records in many places for the next week or so, with pretty much the entire Central Valley in triple digits a little early in the season.

Back