Predicting Range & Value of LEAF Gen 2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote for an S model with a 40kWhr battery. Possibly more in an SL model.

I think Nissan would be better off keeping their price low ($22K-25K after dealer and factory incentives). 40kW battery would get around 150 miles. That's a big enough upgrade over the current model. It's also a distance that connects most major cities to another major city, which I think is important.

The only people who would buy a Bolt are those who NEED that extra 60 miles or so, and are will to pay $15K more for it. Not many EV drivers are in that boat.

40kWh is still not enough for the lower mainland of British Columbia and arguably still not enough for a number of Canadian urban centers. I live in the Greater Vancouver Regional District. To go to vancouver and back to home is a little over 200km. I want to be able to do that trip comfortably in the cold of a Canadian winter and still have range to spare incase I need to make a couple more stops. 60kWh is the bare minimum needed for the GVRD to avoid needing public charging. Last weekends trip to vancouver had an extra two hours, because I had to wait twice for L3 charging.

If they don't immediately offer a 60 kWh option, at a competitive price, they'll just lose sales. Sure, lots of people who are willing to accept less range, at even better pricing, will be happy to get what will be the best of the "second tier " EVs, but many others will go to Bolt, Tesla if they can.

I'm surprised we're not getting leaks by now. Nissan should handle government secrets, they're doing a better job.

"I'm surprised we're not getting leaks by now. Nissan should handle government secrets, they're doing a better job."

Amen. I have been scouring the Interwebs looking for additional info. and finding nada. I can't even figure out when the Smyrna, TN plant is scheduled to be taken offline for retooling. With that many employees, surely someone knows.

2011RedLeaf said:
Actually a 40 kWh in low 20s with the safety bells and whistles & DCFC (don't care which flavor - local chargers have both), with 100K mile capacity warrantee and I will go back on my Nissan Never Again stance and head to my dealer.

New article out from someone who test drove a 2019 LEAF. 38.4 kwh usable that pencils to 153.4 miles @ a modest 4 miles/kwh. Stronger motor, no info on DCFC and it was a mule so no info on any tech upgrades.

So Nissan either has to have compelling tech or come in at a different price point. I am voting on the latter. Current 30 kwh LEAFs are going in to the mid teens so expecting a 2018 to be in the low to mid 20's on a lease to buyout is not unreasonable I think. Considering Chevy is still refusing to deal on Bolt leases, Nissan (again) becomes the best option for me.

DaveinOlyWA said:
2011RedLeaf said:
Actually a 40 kWh in low 20s with the safety bells and whistles & DCFC (don't care which flavor - local chargers have both), with 100K mile capacity warrantee and I will go back on my Nissan Never Again stance and head to my dealer.

New article out from someone who test drove a 2019 LEAF. 38.4 kwh usable that pencils to 153.4 miles @ a modest 4 miles/kwh. Stronger motor, no info on DCFC and it was a mule so no info on any tech upgrades.
Link?

If 38.4 kwh is the usable range and they improve the coefficient of drag somewhat (seems likely), then EPA range of 160 miles (250km) seems possible.

Given the projected price point, I would be happy with that.

I think Nissan is making a big mistake to retain a passively cooled pack though, that's going to be a deciding factor against the new Leaf in hotter markets.

You'd be insane to buy a passively cooled EV at full price after the countless battery debacles documented on this forum. Once it gets down to the sub 10k range like my new Leaf was, I might be game.

eatsleafsandshoots said:
You'd be insane to buy a passively cooled EV at full price after the countless battery debacles documented on this forum. Once it gets down to the sub 10k range like my new Leaf was, I might be game.

If I buy a passively cooled 38kwh Leaf and it degrades as fast as my 4/2013 Leaf, I'll be fine with it. Not needing the top 30% of range helps a lot.

its looks like 40 kWh (38.4 useable) for LEAF 2
and
60kWh for future Rogue sport EV.

Oh well

Going passively cooled would certainly be a mistake for hotter markets. For me, it has worked out just fine with my original 2012 battery losing about 20% in 5 years. That's right where they told me it should be in 2012 when I bought the car.

The issue for me is that doubling the range doesn't make a significant difference in usability of the car. At least not without more charging infrastructure. It just means that I can go multiple days without charging and add maybe 3-4 medium-distance trips per year. I really need 2.5-3x the range to use what little QC infrastructure that does exist, and I am willing to pay for it. I'm still holding out hope that a 60kWh option will be available within a year.

ydnas7 said:
its looks like 40 kWh (38.4 useable) for LEAF 2
and
60kWh for future Rogue sport EV.

Oh well
Nice info on the 60kWh for future Rogue Sport EV, I haven't read that one yet. Do you have any more details?

The reality is that I see the need for cooled packs but I am COMPLETELY unwilling to pay for that. make it an option. there is really no other way to put it. When you live in "that" kind of climate, there is trade offs to everything.

Right now I am in the middle of testing my 30 kwh pack for heat tolerance. Sure its tough here (especially this morning when it was 49º) but I have been north of 125º a few dozen times including maintaining a temp of more than 90º nearly 24/7 for 8 days straight. (that was a LOT of driving and charging!)

Now there is a lot to say about heating up the pack verses driving around in hot pack all the time for months at a time but... But several in my area saw heavy degradation from nothing more than a lot of fast charging so I think that in a few months, I will have a good picture of just how much progress Nissan is making towards a true heat tolerant battery.

But for nearly all of us, the real issue comes with multiple fast charges. The faster profile of the 30 kwh pack does come with trade offs including MUCH higher temps than I ever saw in a 24 kwh pack but charging to 20+ KW to over 90% SOC does that.

But a bigger pack means a 2 or 3 charge day is not likely unless you are crossing time zones. For me? LOL!!! I be damned if I am gonna pay for something then not use it! :lol:

I don't see why this is still an issue, Chevy figured it out long ago and I got a used Volt for a reasonable price. Active cooling is necessary unless you're OK with the Leaf being a throwaway car, and it doesn't need to be expensive.

Active cooling is a band aid solution.

The chemistry needs to be improved so cooling isn't needed. Once the cooling crutch is used it's hard to get off of.

I applaud Nissan for making the right, but difficult choice.

If you're in a climate that the Leaf doesn't work as well in, by all means buy a Garbage Motors Bolt.

NavyCuda said:
Active cooling is a band aid solution.

The chemistry needs to be improved so cooling isn't needed. Once the cooling crutch is used it's hard to get off of.

I applaud Nissan for making the right, but difficult choice.

If you're in a climate that the Leaf doesn't work as well in, by all means buy a Garbage Motors Bolt.

This is EXACTLY Nissan's stance on the issue as it was relayed to us several years ago (LAB)

DaveinOlyWA said:
This is EXACTLY Nissan's stance on the issue as it was relayed to us several years ago (LAB)

Good, Nissan is smart to take the risk of aggregating some vocal end-users in order to have superior technology in the long run.

Back