Update on Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much of an impact Nissan's sale of its stake in they battery unit will have on the price/availability of replacements.

It would make sense for it to drive the price down as there was a bit of a conflict of interest with Nissan. They definitely have much more incentive to sell a new car than they do a new battery. If the batteries are now sold by an independent company, they will have no conflict. They just want to sell as many batteries as possible.

JPWhite said:
jlatl said:
edatoakrun said:
The vast majority of pack replacements so far have been under warranty or subsidized by Nissan, and were either free or exchanged for a fraction of that cost.

Of those few who have reported paying for the pack themselves, I believe several have reported substantial discounts from the $5,500 list price for exchange, with one person claiming they only were charged ~$4,200, IIRC.

Anyone know what the dealer cost is on a 24 kWh pack?

Thanks edatoakrun for the info. My 2013 has a little over 30K miles on it and I have not lost any bars or noticed any lost capacity, but I am curious - looking ahead to the future. Taking $5,500 battery cost, minus $1,000 core charge, plus about $800 install you get ~$5,300 total list.

I have been hoping that with improvements in technology, larger market, and competition we would see significant price drops. I wonder what it would be if we had a competitive market?

FYI $5,500 is inclusive of the core discount. Without the core refund the cost is $6,500.

your statement is misleading and should be edited

I am confused. Is the cost $5,500 plus $1,000 core deposit which you get back, or is it $5,500 including the core deposit meaning it is $4,500 plus $1,000 and you get the $1,000 back?
(this does not include labor costs)

jlatl said:
I am confused. Is the cost $5,500 plus $1,000 core deposit which you get back, or is it $5,500 including the core deposit meaning it is $4,500 plus $1,000 and you get the $1,000 back?
(this does not include labor costs)

The retail price is $6500 - $1000 manditory core charge. Your net is $5500.

OrientExpress said:
...The retail price is $6500 - $1000 manditory core charge. Your net is $5500.
Correct, but to be clear, it is not really a core charge, since returning the OE pack is mandatory, you do not have the option of keeping your OE pack, and paying the $1,000.

Also, some have claimed they bought packs at below the retail price of $6500.

Is this true?

And is the current dealer cost of a replacement "24 kWh" battery pack known?

Bonus question!

Anyone know the list price or cost of a replacement "30 kWh" pack?

webb14leafs said:
I wonder how much of an impact Nissan's sale of its stake in they battery unit will have on the price/availability of replacements.

It would make sense for it to drive the price down as there was a bit of a conflict of interest with Nissan. They definitely have much more incentive to sell a new car than they do a new battery. If the batteries are now sold by an independent company, they will have no conflict. They just want to sell as many batteries as possible.

Word is LG Chem will supply batteries to Nissan for the Leaf. Since Nissan will now have little interest in Leaf batteries, perhaps LG Chem will offer upgraded batteries for the older model Leafs. In this case and depending on costs, this might make a used Leaf with an upgraded battery a viable used car option.

Something I got from a dealer a year ago, apparently $4,499 is the dealer cost, the total verbal quote for the job was about $5,800 tax and 5hr@$120 labor inclusive (not the $6,248 which I think is the number their software inserted automatically).

edatoakrun said:
OrientExpress said:
...The retail price is $6500 - $1000 manditory core charge. Your net is $5500.
Correct, but to be clear, it is not really a core charge, since returning the OE pack is mandatory, you do not have the option of keeping your OE pack, and paying the $1,000.

Also, some have claimed they bought packs at below the retail price of $6500.

Is this true?

And is the current dealer cost of a replacement "24 kWh" battery pack known?

Bonus question!

Anyone know the list price or cost of a replacement "30 kWh" pack?

Yes owners have been successful negotiating co-pay discounts on replacement batteries through Nissan customer service. Nissan treat each claim for out of warranty assistance on a case by case basis.

If you look at truedelta.com you can search for the cost of LEAF battery replacements the owners have reported paying. It ranges widely from $1,200 all the way up to $6,500.

As far as i am aware Nissan have not established a price for a replacement 30kWh pack. It took a class action lawsuit and years of pleading by owners to get Nissan to establish a price for the 24kWh pack. Don't hold your breath.

webb14leafs said:

That may happen. Another possibility is that once Nissan withdraw investment in the old battery technology and stop selling vehicles using the old technology batteries the demand for the old tech batteries will slowly dry up. Meaning prices may not go down and could even rise if it becomes difficult to source obsolete components.

There's no telling what the new owner/investors will do with AESC, I'm sure we'll find out soon enough which way the wind blows.

Using the Tesla 2170 batteries, you would need 3000 batteries for 60 KWH. That number of batteries would fit in the gen 1 battery case without problems arranged as 24 modules with 2 sets of terminals each to replicate the 48 modules in the original battery. The battery would gain a couple of hundred pounds in weight but wouldn't be any larger in volume. Since Tesla is actually a battery company, at some point Tesla is going to sell their batteries to any OEM who can order enough at one time meet their minimum. At $100/KWH that's about $6000 for the batteries alone but probably less than $10K for a rebuilt 60KWH battery. If you could fool the BMS into thinking that it is still looking at Nissan modules it could be substantially less. Panasonic is also building 2170 batteries but they don't have as high an energy density and they aren't set up on the gigafactory model.

Here's my story, I'm in Los Angeles, CA.

So last January 2017, I bought my 2012 Nissan Leaf, it came with the White Carpool HOV lane sticker. Which was my motivation. On a good day it would charge and only show 68-65 miles of range. But actual driving part city and party Freeway I could only get about 35-40 miles. I only had 45,000 miles on it at the time.
The battery health showed 7 bars. (5 white and 2 red)

So In January 20, 2017 (or there abouts) I took my 2012 Leaf to the dealer and they uploaded new software. Now the Battery health showed 9 bars, 7 white and 2 red. LOL
I thought now that's a scam. They said I don't qualify any more for a new Battery. I was pissed.
Meanwhile, as the Crow Flies I work 14.5 miles from my house. Lets round off and say 15 miles. and including pickup up and dropping off my kids from school add 2 more miles. So round trip and pickup kids from school 32 miles and the battery was almost depleted. This was worse in the Winter time if I had the heater on. Yes, it does get cold in the winter in LA and I'm not going to let my kids get sick because I won't turn on the heater. Some times I would have to charge it twice in 1 day to make sure I could make it 35 miles round trip and get stranded with my kids on the freeway. I charged it at work and then charged it when I got home.

Nissan never offered me any "Goodwill" program. They tried to cheat me. I had to threaten them with a Lawsuit for them to give me a new battery. I did some research and found that in LA Nissan was sued in a Class Action lawsuit and they settled out-of-court and promised to fix peoples LEAFS with defective batteries if it was still under warranty.
Apparently the severe HEAT in California and Arizona degraded the batteries early. One of the Plaintiffs was a Judge.

What happened is when Tesla, made the first "S" model, they gave away all their patents to promote EV Technology. But left it to each manufacturer to alter, deviate or modify that technology to their needs.

Well on Tesla's they used "Liquid Cooling" to cool Tesla S batteries. Toyota used forced Air cooling with a Fan in their Prius.

Nissan didn't use any cooling at all. They just let "ambient" temperature to dissipate the heat. "MISTAKE"; "BIG MISTAKE". That's what caused early depletion and malfunction of their batteries. Especially in the severe heat of states like Arizona and California summers.

Long story short, I have a J.D. Law degree so I wrote up and "Pleading aka Complaint" I was ready to file Criminal and Civil complaints vs. Nissan (I was not bluffing, I had already made contact with the FBI, and some California Agencies and Consumer Affairs.
I thought what they did uploading new code was tantamount to "fraud". I served them (Nissan Notice) at their Tennessee HQ, which is their North American HQ, their Japan HQ, and another location I can't remember. I must have served about 8 people.

Shortly there after their (Nissan Attorney Counsel) contacted me and said bring in my 2012 Leaf and Nissan would give me a new Battery. That was in June 8th, 2017.

They did some paper work and gave me my Leaf back after a week and said, "we have to wait for the Battery to arrive." I waited 3 months Later in September I wrote the Nissan Attorney Counsel and said, "can you expedite things" "it's been a 3 month wait". His reply he feigned shock, "they haven't fixed it yet"??? I said "NO"!!!

So a few days later the Dealer said bring the Leaf in, I did and left it with them for about 1 month and 1 week, and the Battery finally arrived. I just got it back 2 weeks ago on Friday October 27, 2017. So now on a full charge the battery in
"Drive" shows 110, and "Eco shows 118" miles of range.

It's been a learning lesson.

I drive about 70 mph when the freeway moves. And at that speed the battery gets depleted Fast.
And I started with a FULL FRESH CHARGE of 110 Range the other day; I drove 70 mph for 35 miles. And the Range showed 48 miles left.
These LEAF's are not designed for American Freeways and American freeway driving. I'm convinced they are and were designed for Japan with their small streets and slower driving, NOT for American roads and freeways.

Anyway Now I can drive about 2-3 days before I need to re-charge. I usually charge at the end of the 2nd day.

I'll keep driving it like this until I get my Tesla 3 next year. The Tesla 3 back log is 500,000 now I think.

Anyway I found out when they gave me a new battery, they also upgraded the battery to the 2016-2017 35 kW Battery good for 110 miles range (or so the display says, you won't get that range on the freeway at 65 mph).
To answer the other person, the 2016-2017 battery WILL FIT in the earlier models. Nissan only has to install a connector adapter which they made for this.
So, 2011-2015's had the 25 kW batteries good for 70-80 miles range.

The 2nd Gen Leaf has the 40 kW battery which is supposedly good for 150 miles range (but again based on my experience, not at 65 mph speed).
and next summer 2018 Nissan LEAF will offer and 60 kW battery good for 210 range.

That said, Nissan supposedly put a coating on the batteries (2016-2017 model Leafs) to make them more resistant to heat and battery fade.
They still didn't engineer or install a cooling system for the batteries. UNBELIEVABLE!!! What Bad Engineering.
I wonder if they'll do that for the 60 kW batteries. If Nissan doesn't engineer Battery cooling for Battery Longevity I'm not getting a 2018.

I actually like my 2012 LEAF. It's small nimble relatively fast in "Drive mode". My wife likes it to, She prefers the LEAF for local driving rather than her big Mercedes-Benz ML250 Bluetec Diesel for easier parking and working traffic.

But at this point I need the higher Range and it looks like the Tesla 3 with the Bigger 310 range battery and AWD - Dual motor is for me. Even at $45K I'm okay with that.

I read in one report a Tesla S after 5 years and over 100,000 miles still retained 98% of it's battery charge. Probably Thanks to the "Battery Liquid Cooling System).

In downtown LA and near where I live I've got it mapped out, I haven't paid for Electricity to charge my LEAF for commuting since February 2017 of this year. At my work downtown LA near my work there are about 20 (Free Electricity) Charging stations provided by LA DWP Dept. of Water and Power. and near my house near by is Edison they have 12 free electricity charging stations. First some first serve. The city next to me Rosemead is install 4 free electricity charging stations in 2018. And also nearby CARB, The State of California (CARB - CA Air Resources board) has 4 free charging stations also. I've got the network of No-Charge stations all mapped out. IT'S GREAT!!!!
Now all I need is a reasonably priced EV that can go 200+ miles on a charged. And that's going to be the Tesla 3 (220 miles range 70 kW or 310 miles range 80 kw) or the Nissan LEAF with the 60 kW battery as long as Nissan Engineers Cooling into that battery.

trangen1 said:
So now on a full charge the battery in "Drive" shows 110, and "Eco shows 118" miles of range.

Anyway I found out when they gave me a new battery, they also upgraded the battery to the 2016-2017 35 kW Battery good for 110 miles range (or so the display says, you won't get that range on the freeway at 65 mph).
To answer the other person, the 2016-2017 battery WILL FIT in the earlier models. Nissan only has to install a connector adapter which they made for this.

Interesting! If I remember correctly, someone on this forum indicated that after a discussion with a Nissan dealer tech about 10 months ago.
Subsequently, that someone's credibility became suspect to many. Hopefully, other sources for this will corroborate it.

trangen1 said:
...What happened is when Tesla, made the first "S" model, they gave away all their patents to promote EV Technology. But left it to each manufacturer to alter, deviate or modify that technology to their needs
Are you suggesting that Nissan LEAF is based on Tesla patents?
... I had already made contact with the FBI...

Next time try the CIA. :lol:

to all the Non-Believers here you go.

https://www.wired.com/2014/06/tesla-just-gave-all-its-patents-away-to-competitors/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/investor/2014/06/13/tesla-giving-away-its-patents-makes-sense/#a2ada5113ea8

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=76bc134a-46bd-42bd-ba5f-ad123062b8c8

if you want let me take a picture of my dash and upload
after my 2012 Leaf with the new 2017 upgraded battery. In Eco mode it shows 118, in drive mode it shows 108, 109, 110, it's not consistent.

No let me get the receipt from the Dealer I'll scan it in and upload it for you Non-Believers. They (Nissan Attorney Counsel) even told me. and it's also part of the Class Action Lawsuit out-of-court settlement terms.

Trangen1, I haven’t read most of your post but you’ve repeatedly used the wrong units. Battery capacity is measured in kWh, not “KW”.

Please see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=509385#p509385.

GOM values don’t matter to us. Receipt with part numbers would be useful. Also, screenshots from certain screens in Leaf Spy would help.

KiloWatts is abbreviated Littke k, and big W, there is no H.

I may have typed fast and left typos, this doesnt' have spell check; kW not kWH

trangen1 said:
KiloWatts is abbreviated Littke k, and big W, there is no H.

I may have typed fast and left typos, this doesnt' have spell check; kW not kWH
You are not understanding.
Cwerdna is pointing out your confusion between a rate (kW) and an amount (kWh)

I'm glad you have a replacement battery but your attempt to appear informed is going *really* badly. Are you trolling for customers ? Your post reminded me of a famous late night informercial of a fellow who hocked get rich schemes who showed himself enjoying his boat and a gaggle of bimbos along for the ride.

Back