Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Magikal said:
I'm not sure if this is the best place to ask or if there is a sticky I should read so please just tell me where to look if you would.

I'm interested in a least I live in North Carolina and I'm a lease noob. We have the $7500 fed tax thing and $10k for being Duke energy customer. What kind of leasing deal do I push for in a best case scenario?

I doubt the $10K is available on a lease through the utility rebate. It's written as purchase only in Ohio. There are reports of people getting an additional 4-5K off MSRP on a purchase though - for an ultimate total of $22,500 off.

LeftieBiker said:
Just be aware that Nissan keeps the tax credit in a lease as they still "own" the car - but will usually offer a bigger discount to offset that.

Last I knew they were still applying the full $7500 to the down payment.

May be that the dealer has lots of discretion on how the total "discount/rebate/incentives" are allocated. The sales guy I talked with offered about a $14,000 total discount for the lease option - ostensibly to offset the loss of Fed tax credit. Does anyone know the real facts on how the individual's tax credit can be used by a leasing company?

Marktm said:
LeftieBiker said:
Just be aware that Nissan keeps the tax credit in a lease as they still "own" the car - but will usually offer a bigger discount to offset that.

Last I knew they were still applying the full $7500 to the down payment.

May be that the dealer has lots of discretion on how the total "discount/rebate/incentives" are allocated. The sales guy I talked with offered about a $14,000 total discount for the lease option - ostensibly to offset the loss of Fed tax credit. Does anyone know the real facts on how the individual's tax credit can be used by a leasing company?

run away. Nissan isapplying the full tax credit as a down payment on lease. Any dealer who is doing if differently you need to avoid.

DaveinOlyWA said:
run away. Nissan isapplying the full tax credit as a down payment on lease. Any dealer who is doing if differently you need to avoid.

Since the guy was confused about the $7500 being a tax deduction (he insisted) rather than a credit, probably best to avoid him!

Does anyone know the real facts on how the individual's tax credit can be used by a leasing company?

They can do whatever they want with it - they own the car, not the lessee. GM keeps $5k of the $7500. Nissan applies it all to the down payment, thus passing it on to the lessee.

LeftieBiker said:
Does anyone know the real facts on how the individual's tax credit can be used by a leasing company?

They can whatever they want with it - they own the car, not the lessee. GM keeps $5k of the $7500. Nissan applies it all to the down payment, thus passing it on to the lessee.

Agreed. It is entirely up to the leasing company as to how that money is handled. I am suspecting that the Dealers have a lot of say in it as well and are pocketing part of it and passing part of it on as a dealer promotion

I am interested in a leaf because my local electric company is offering $10k off. I am sorry if this has already been answered but I looked through several threads and did not see this addressed:

1) If I buy a 2017 Nissan leaf with the $10k off from the electric company, can I still negotiate off the MSRP sticker price? How likely would it be that the dealer knocks another $4k off?

2) I have heard if you finance your leaf through nissan finance they give you $4,000 cash back. Can you combine the $4k from nissan finance with the $10k from the electric company rebate?

So would I be able to do this...

2017 Nissan Leaf SV: $34,000 (roughly)
-$10k electric company rebate
-$4k nissan financing cashback
-$4k let's say off MSRP negotiating with dealer
-$7500 federal tax credit

total: $9,000

Is that possible?

Also, I searched Nissans website and only found 30 2017 Nissan leafs in stock at Nissan dealerships near me. Is it possible there's more? That doesnt seem like a lot and I would assume dealerships would be bursting with leafs with gas prices dropping like a rock.

Thanks in advance!

outspoken said:
I am interested in a leaf because my local electric company is offering $10k off. I am sorry if this has already been answered but I looked through several threads and did not see this addressed:

1) If I buy a 2017 Nissan leaf with the $10k off from the electric company, can I still negotiate off the MSRP sticker price? How likely would it be that the dealer knocks another $4k off?

2) I have heard if you finance your leaf through nissan finance they give you $4,000 cash back. Can you combine the $4k from nissan finance with the $10k from the electric company rebate?

Is that possible?

Also, I searched Nissans website and only found 30 2017 Nissan leafs in stock at Nissan dealerships near me. Is it possible there's more? That doesnt seem like a lot and I would assume dealerships would be bursting with leafs with gas prices dropping like a rock.

Thanks in advance!

sure anything is possible but pretty sure you can only take either Nissan factory cash or the local electric company offer (which btw, is NOT a rebate)

As far as your "availability" comment? Not sure I understand why you would think the lots would be overflowing if such great deals were at hand.

drhlee1 said:
Just leased my third Leaf today in the SF Bay area.

2017 Glacier White SV
With splash guards ($190)
With Floor MATS and CARGO MAT ($200)
With CARGO COVER ($300)
Destination Charges ($865)
Total MSRP: $35,755.00

36 Month Lease:
$0 Down or out of the door
$205 monthly payment (tax included)
12000 miles per year
---------------------------------------------------------
Total Monthly payments: $7175

Residual at the end of lease: $10,011.40

What dealership was this? I am trying to get something near similar for an SV, if my dealership wont do it, I would love to reach out to whomever you worked with on this, this weekend.

Pnuts said:
drhlee1 said:

2017 Glacier White SV
With CARGO COVER ($300)

36 Month Lease:
12000 miles per year

What dealership was this? I am trying to get something near similar for an SV, if my dealership wont do it, I would love to reach out to whomever you worked with on this, this weekend.

I got the car from Premier Nissan of San Jose. The sales person's name is Olu, his number is 310-621-9116.

outspoken said:

Is that possible?

Thanks in advance!

The power company $10K does not stack with any other incentive or finance deal. In fact, one of the conditions is that you finance the car at the regular rate. So you have to read all of the conditions carefully. The price of the car is negotiable with the dealer, and I got mine to inflate the value of my trade by about $3000.

drhlee1 said:
Pnuts said:
drhlee1 said:

2017 Glacier White SV
With CARGO COVER ($300)

36 Month Lease:
12000 miles per year

I got the car from Premier Nissan of San Jose. The sales person's name is Olu, his number is 310-621-9116.

Thank you for the info!

One last question if you don't mind. Did your price include anything, like gap insurance? I haven't been to a dealer since 2004 and had a horrible experience when I got a car then. I would rather know what I can in advance.

Also did you have VPP?

Thanks again!

I did not buy the gap insurance. I did get VPP and Leaf loyalty discounts.

By the way, CVRP just run out of money for the standard rebate and any new rebate will be place on the wait list. If you qualify for the increase rebate, they still have funding for that.

LeftieBiker said:
Did your price include anything, like gap insurance?

I believe that Nissan self-insures for GAP. If the car is totaled you lose the down payment, but don't owe anything on the lease.

That is good, I guess I'll find that out soon.

drhlee1 said:
I did not buy the gap insurance. I did get VPP and Leaf loyalty discounts.

By the way, CVRP just run out of money for the standard rebate and any new rebate will be place on the wait list. If you qualify for the increase rebate, they still have funding for that.

I qualify by like $400, I guess I better get a move on.

Any thoughts on whether the unveiling of the 2018 Leaf/having it start being sold will cause a price drop on the 2017 Leaf? At the current price point for the 2017 Leaf given my budget (even including the 7500 federal tax credit etc) I'm just not quite ready to take the plunge at the current price point. So I'm wondering if the 2017 models will drop significantly in price when the 2018 one comes out.

I don't currently own a Leaf but I've been contemplating getting one. I live in Cupertino, California. I've been keeping my eye on this thread and looking at prices via autotrader and other places. My daily commute is 70 miles round trip (which means for most leases that's going to put me over the mileage limit and it also means that for the current generation Leaf I'd be using a good chunk of the battery capacity getting to work and back).

It looks like my utility (Excel Energy) has the $10k incentive extended through August. I would imagine that this promo is to "clear the pipeline" to make room for the 2018s. Has anyone experienced whether dealers are willing to order a specific model/feature package, or are they only selling-off inventory from the lot? Unfortunately, my market (Minneapolis/St. Paul MN) has poor selection.

specialgreen said:
It looks like my utility (Excel Energy) has the $10k incentive extended through August. I would imagine that this promo is to "clear the pipeline" to make room for the 2018s. Has anyone experienced whether dealers are willing to order a specific model/feature package, or are they only selling-off inventory from the lot? Unfortunately, my market (Minneapolis/St. Paul MN) has poor selection.

They likely won't order a car from the factory. What they will usually do is trade another dealer for the car you want, if it's in stock somewhere. This is easiest to do if the company that owns the dealership has numerous others in the region.

Back