LEAF 2 : What we know so far (2018 or later?)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
48kWh usable is the absolute bare minimum for me. If it's not at least that much I'll run my current Leaf into the ground until there is a 48-60kWh model available.

Yep, far fewer care about it now, compared to then... There are too many other excellent alternatives these days...

evnow said:
Somehow, I don't think there will be a great demand for the 40kWh Leaf - that tons of people will preorder and wait for months & months. Like we did in 2011.

I test drove a 2017 Leaf 3 months ago since the price is so good and I wanted to buy but the salesman told me that the value will crash when the 2018 is announced as it will have 200 mi. So I didn't buy even though my work drive round trip is 40 miles. So if they are not launching with a 200 mile but if I have to wait at least a year for one then why should I wait and shouldn't I buy a 2017 at these prices and then in 2019 upgrade. Do you think it will be more than a 80% chance there will not be a 200 mile leaf before summer 2018?

If you don't need a 200m Leaf and if you charge on both ends of your commute it would probably be more cost effective to get a current generation Leaf. My commute is 62.5km(38.8m) one way. My 2015 gets me to work with 46-55% SOC depending on traffic above 7C ambiant temp. I had a 2016, 30kWh loaner and on the same commute I would get to work with 55-65% SOC above 7C ambiant. Get below 7C, or into freezing temperatures and I've seen as low as 22% SOC.

So if you charge on both ends, only need a commuter and very rarely need to go beyond your commute range, a 2017 Leaf with a steap discount will be really nice to your pocket book and get you into the single best commuter car in existence.

My drive to work is 30km, at work I have access to a standard 120 V plug and then my commute home is 30km. On weekends I do errands to of about 100km throughout a Saturday. We have our main vehicle so this is just for commuting (currently using a Mercedes glk for commuting so gas adds up!). Reason I am waiting is due to Canadian winters - I'm worried that in a coldest of days here in Ottawa, I won't get 60-80 km on a charge. I can't seem to locate any other Canadian winter drivers to get their experiences. But the price is so nice on the 2017 leafs!

I'm in the lower mainland of British Columbia. With my 2015 I could still coax 100km out of the car during our cold snap but never really went under -10C. Driving like a normal person gave me an effective 70-80km of range. I struggle with speed limits and over 50% of my commute is highway driving.

So if they are not launching with a 200 mile but if I have to wait at least a year for one then why should I wait and shouldn't I buy a 2017 at these prices and then in 2019 upgrade.

In your case the 2017 is probably fine, despite the apparent too-fast deterioration of the packs. For two years a bargain 2017 sounds good. Just remember that the high beams will be terrible.

I was also resisting to go with first year of a new model (2nd Gen leaf) since I was always under the impression year 2 forward is when glitches are worked out. But are there issues with the 2017 version of the first Gen? Makes me wonder if the 2018 model will have many issues.

There are design issues that Nissan never addressed (headlights, steering wheel heater thermostat) and things that they 'de-featured' (80% charge option, rear seat heaters in all models but SL).

Dgcan75 said:
I test drove a 2017 Leaf 3 months ago since the price is so good and I wanted to buy but the salesman told me that the value will crash when the 2018 is announced as it will have 200 mi. So I didn't buy even though my work drive round trip is 40 miles. So if they are not launching with a 200 mile but if I have to wait at least a year for one then why should I wait and shouldn't I buy a 2017 at these prices and then in 2019 upgrade. Do you think it will be more than a 80% chance there will not be a 200 mile leaf before summer 2018?

If there is a 200 mile leaf it will be much more expensive. It's pretty easy to get a 2017 for $22-24K. The same won't be true for any car with a 60kW battery. If it meets your needs, I would get it. I was a little apprehensive to buy my 2014 with 87%SOH, but I'm glad I did. I don't need any more range than what it has. My round trip commute is 42 miles.

Dgcan75 said:

Actually the value crashed when the proposed announcement for the new LEAF was first speculated. They are going for half price now so a "crash" is still possible but how much damage will occur when dropped from a foot off the ground? ;)

Anyone want to guess whether Nissan will promote ProPilot, and have ~this high a take rate in the USA-built 2018 LEAF gen 2?

Nissan Wins Over Japan With a $27,000 Hands-Free Minivan

At 3 million yen ($27,400), Nissan Motor Co.’s Serena minivan was the first model in Japan in its price bracket that offers what’s known in the industry as Level-2 autonomous driving features, similar to what Tesla Inc. offers with its Autopilot function in the $80,000 Model S. A car with Level-2 functionality can control steering and speed simultaneously without intervention for a short period, allowing the driver to take his hands off the wheel and foot off pedal at the same time.

Nissan chose to debut its autonomous features in its mass-market model instead of the premium Infiniti brand, and the decision has paid off for the automaker. Sales of Serena surged 67 percent in the August-to-May period to make it the second best-selling model for the manufacturer. A more-than-expected 60 percent of Serena buyers opted for the ProPilot driver-assist system...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-08/nissan-wins-converts-in-japan-with-27-000-hands-free-minivan

Looks like we don't have to work about the Leaf 2 being a cosmetic refresh of the old chassis:
http://www.autoblog.com/amp/2017/06/21/2018-nissan-leaf-spied-with-hardly-any-camouflage/
dims

Firetruck41 said:
Looks like we don't have to work about the Leaf 2 being a cosmetic refresh of the old chassis:

Not sure I follow your reasoning. Per the discussion above and elsewhere, this could still be just a cosmetic refresh (albeit a major one). I see no indication from these spy shots that the chassis itself has changed.

I do like what I see, though. I cannot wait to see more of the 2018 Leaf!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back