California To Trial Point-Of-Sale EV Rebate Program

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRA

Via IEVS: http://insideevs.com/california-pilot-point-sale-ev-rebate-program/
The California Air Resources Board’s (CARB) Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP) can get you up to $7,000 when you purchase a zero emission vehicle (up to 7k for fuel cells, $4,500 for BEVs, $3,500 for PHEVs – full details on qualifications and requirements here).

However, you still have to finance the full price, and then wait for a check to come in the mail. The amount that you receive is also now income-based, which is something new that California has initiated after finding that its rebates were likely benefiting high-end buyers who may not have needed the assistance.

California has made considerable progress with it ZEV initiatives, but the state is constantly working toward ways to secure more vast adoption, especially for its lower income residents. If the rebate came off the sale price of the vehicle at the time of transaction, it could surely spur a marked jump in sales.

In order to assure that the program works as planned, buyers will have to verify income and prequalify through the Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE). Since current programs are already indexed by income, this wouldn’t be much different. . . .

The latest figure I heard a year or two ago is that about 13% of eligible California EV buyers didn't file for their CVRP rebate. So the concern back then from CARB was that if they moved to a point of sale model for the rebates, it could cost approximately 13% more for the same number of cars purchased.

I can see the benefit for certain folks who may not have the funds to float the rebate amount until they get it back. But it would push the paperwork to the dealerships from the buyers...

A trial will be interesting to monitor and see what happens...

Back