Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lorenfb said:
The numbers are in for Tesla from: http://insideevs.com/monthly-plug-in-sales-scorecard/

Summary YTD for U.S.:
S - 8845, X - 6745, Total - 15590

Assuming 65% U.S. then WW - 24K, or assuming 50% U.S. then WW - 31K

Assuming that Tesla plans to achieve in excess of 100K sales for 2017 (2016 - 76K), then Tesla needs to deliver
worst case about 76K or in the best case about 69K. That amounts to an average combined S & X delivery rate
of about 11K units per month WW worst case or about 10K best case. The highest delivery rate occurred this
year in March (U.S. ~ 5.6K, @ 50% WW 11.2K). So if Tesla can achieve for the balance of the year, a delivery rate
exceeding March '17, then Tesla may achieve 100K deliveries for 2017. Good luck Elon!

Note: Above assumptions based on Model 3 being insignificant for 2017.

Possible? Yes. Likely? Not really. But they'll be close. Probably handily beat 2016.

Also, Tesla has a history of a large surge of deliveries at the end of each quarter. If that pattern continues, and June beats March, then things will be looking a lot more likely.

I'm curious as to what the Model X sales numbers look internationally. I know the US loves the SUVs and crossovers more than much of the rest of the world. I wouldn't be surprised if a higher percentage of Model Xs are sold in the US than Model Ss.

GetOffYourGas said:
Also, Tesla has a history of a large surge of deliveries at the end of each quarter. If that pattern continues, and June beats March, then things will be looking a lot more likely.

That's nearly 70K in the 2nd half of 2017 (all of 2016 was only 76K), i.e. not an easy ramp.

GetOffYourGas said:
I'm curious as to what the Model X sales numbers look internationally. I know the US loves the SUVs and crossovers more than much of the rest of the world. I wouldn't be surprised if a higher percentage of Model Xs are sold in the US than Model Ss.

We'll know that in the first week of next month, plus how many referrals Tesla owners need to email
to prospective Tesla buyers, and how much faster the robots need to work in the 2nd half.

lorenfb said:
I'm seeing estimates of 45K being delivered in 2017, which (if they can pull it off) would not be insignificant.
Spreadsheet with Tesla car delivered stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vobg29R1t3FphlWjb8dwG4nkAWqyc_qMwkCjUT8SUno/pubhtml?gid=1805961368&single=true&chrome=false
(scroll to the right to the 2nd set of tables for the M3 estimates)

jlv said:
lorenfb said:
I'm seeing estimates of 45K being delivered in 2017, which (if they can pull it off) would not be insignificant.
Spreadsheet with Tesla car delivered stats: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vobg29R1t3FphlWjb8dwG4nkAWqyc_qMwkCjUT8SUno/pubhtml?gid=1805961368&single=true&chrome=false
(scroll to the right to the 2nd set of tables for the M3 estimates)

Hopefully Tesla is not again using the same VisiCalc spreadsheet cell equations it used to forecast its initial Model X deliveries!

2017 Tesla Model X scores 5 stars overall, 5 stars in each category and 5 stars in every single sub category.
Reportedly the only SUV to do so, although I haven't compared more than a couple others.

Via IEVS:
Tesla Model X Crash Tests Complete – 5 Stars In All Categories
http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-x-crash-test/

Same story as above, but check out the photos of our own MNL member scottf200's Model X after a 70 mph head-on with a deer, followed by hitting a tree. Glad to hear that his son's okay and Scott mostly is too, although he wrote he had some damage to his left eye and socket (apparently from the deer/windshield hitting him).

GRA said:
Via IEVS:

Same story as above, but check out the photos of our own MNL member scottf200's Model X after a 70 mph head-on with a deer, followed by hitting a tree. Glad to hear that his son's okay and Scott mostly is too, although he wrote he had some damage to his left eye and socket (apparently from the deer/windshield hitting him).

Interesting the way the front and rear body sections separated, i.e. It appears that the point of separation is at the end of the
glass section of the roof.

lorenfb said:
GRA said:
Via IEVS:

Interesting the way the front and rear body sections separated, i.e. It appears that the point of separation is at the end of the
glass section of the roof.
Not sure what you're referring to. The only 'body separation' I see is where the left FWD was opened by Scott's son after the crash, to retrieve his cell phone.

Tesla-Model-x-accident-everyone-ok-via-scott-F-750x517.jpg

It's from here; http://insideevs.com/tesla-model-x-crash-test/

That's the deer accident Tesla X being referenced, right Guy?

lorenfb said:

"Deer accident"? I suppose it can be described that way.
More accurately that is the accident in which the Model X hit a deer at 70 mph, then a tree.
The passenger was able to open the door, then open the driver's side falcon wind door. No injuries to passenger, driver suffered an injury from the deer striking him.

Pretty impressive.

Zythryn said:
lorenfb said:

"Deer accident"? I suppose it can be described that way.
More accurately that is the accident in which the Model X hit a deer at 70 mph, then a tree.
The passenger was able to open the door, then open the driver's side falcon wind door. No injuries to passenger, driver suffered an injury from the deer striking him.

Pretty impressive.

The question relates to what appears to be a sheared away rear body section of the Model X, i.e. Did the rear body section
break from the front body section at or near where the glass moon-roof ends and where the falcon wing doors pivot from,
resulting in lost upper vehicle body integrity or is that just the left falcon wing door partially open?

lorenfb said:
The question relates to what appears to be a sheared away rear body section of the Model X, i.e. Did the rear body section
break from the front body section at or near where the glass moon-roof ends and where the falcon wing doors pivot from,
resulting in lost upper vehicle body integrity or is that just the left falcon wing door partially open?

You hatred of Tesla is both baffling and colors your vision.
Rather than ask that question, you first conclude that the body section broke from the car.

As you speculated here, what you are seeing is indeed a partially open door.
Considering the ver clean/straight lines of the edges of the door, the unbent/unbroken floorboard, and the "break" not extending past one half of the car, I don't think much of anyone without an axe to grind, would say that looks like a torn body.

GRA said:
...check out the photos of our own MNL member scottf200's Model X after a 70 mph head-on with a deer, followed by hitting a tree. Glad to hear that his son's okay and Scott mostly is too, although he wrote he had some damage to his left eye and socket (apparently from the deer/windshield hitting him).

The unanswered question is how an ordinary (?) deer strike led to the extreme damage and injuries.

Below is the result of a ~70 mph frontal collision between a large buck and my 1975 Fiat Spider, a vehicle not exactly known for advanced safety features or collision-worthiness...

I drove home, uninjured.

It appears what happened here is the Model X first hit the deer then spun around backwards and hit the tree. Then the deer, enraged by the whole incident, came back and jumped on the hood, windshield and roof until the car was reduced to a mangled mess of sheet metal.

edatoakrun said:
DesertSprings said:
Did you also hit a tree afterwords?
No, since (unlike the buck) none of the nearby trees ran into my lane... and I never lost control of the car.

If you read the posts above, you will learn that
1) The driver was injured by the collision with the deer
2) The vehicle struck a tree after the deer (possibly a result of the injury followed by losing control of the car)

As for how this driver got injured and you didn't? Pure speculation, but it could simply be the height of impact with the deer. Deer like to jump. If the deer hit the X in the windshield, it probably was mid-jump. I'm guessing in your case that the deer would have jumped nearly clear over your car, or maybe landed in your lap :shock:

GetOffYourGas said:
If you read the posts above, you will learn that...
Read the comments at the story below for the less-than-complete explanation:

Deer are a constant hazard, but the over-sized windshield of an X obviously presents a very large soft target for a deer or any other large object to enter the cabin and cause serious occupant injuries, either directly, or from subsequent collision after loss of control of the vehicle, after the driver is disabled.

Presumably, that X was not operating on Autopilot when it struck the deer?

Zythryn said:
lorenfb said:

You hatred of Tesla is both baffling and colors your vision.
Rather than ask that question, you first conclude that the body section broke from the car.

As you speculated here, what you are seeing is indeed a partially open door.
Considering the ver clean/straight lines of the edges of the door, the unbent/unbroken floorboard, and the "break" not extending past one half of the car, I don't think much of anyone without an axe to grind, would say that looks like a torn body.

In any case, a vehicle with a moon-roof AND falcon wing doors has potentially less roof integrity, thereby compromising
side impact and rollover safety. Furthermore, mentioning "unbent/unbroken floorboard" is a non-sequitur as related to
roof integrity.

Those with an innate disdain for Tesla will find any reason to "not like" (hate?) the Model X, but for those who are more logical, you can use things like the NHTSA crash test ratings to see how the X compares to other SUVs or cars.

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration just awarded the Tesla Model X a 5-star safety rating in every category and subcategory after conducting the first independent crash test of the electric vehicle since its launch in 2015. Tesla was quick to trumpet the rating, noting the Model X was the first SUV to receive the federal government’s highest safety rating across the board." -excerpt from The Verge

Back