2016-2017 model year 30 kWh bar losers and capacity losses

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scaramanga said:
powersurge said:
I think that you folks should stop worrying about SOH - on a BRAND NEW 2016, worrying about your capacity is premature, and in fact silly... At 300, or even 1000 miles, the car has not even begun to acclimate itself...

You sir, are right outside your mind. This thing we do is precisely WHAT men do. I've been fussing over every car Ive ever owned for 30 years, and its done me no harm. If I wanted to just drive a car I would have just bought a Taurus.
:D

+1!

we don't buy new trucks cause they are as good as the old one. we buy new trucks to climb the hill we couldn't climb before or pull the boat that we couldn't pull before.

My 2016 is like a whole new LEAF but as nice as it is, the first thing I have to know is how far can I push it! That is human nature

Despite everyone saying these packs heat up super fast (and they do seem to, especially with DCQC), I've also noticed that they seem to cool faster as well ('17 S vs '13 SV). I'm spending most of the day at 5 temp bars and only right when I get home do I get to 6 temp bars, even after a full L2 charge in 95 degree heat (granted, the garage is covered but is exposed directly to the outdoors). Anyone else seen this?

My 2016 SL is now at 6899 odo 67.17 Ah 84% SOH and 81.47 Hx. Delivered 12/2016.

I have seen much degradation in the last few months. It was at 90% on April 1. I have noted the battery temperature and they have usually been in the upper 80s and I only have 4 QC total.

It does not seem to me that temps are the issue as we just started having highs over 90.

Just goes to show you that trying to treat these packs nicely is a fools errand, the only real game to play is drive hard as you need to and get a replacement if possible

eatsleafsandshoots said:
Despite everyone saying these packs heat up super fast (and they do seem to, especially with DCQC), I've also noticed that they seem to cool faster as well ('17 S vs '13 SV). I'm spending most of the day at 5 temp bars and only right when I get home do I get to 6 temp bars, even after a full L2 charge in 95 degree heat (granted, the garage is covered but is exposed directly to the outdoors). Anyone else seen this?

Agreed. I am noticing the pack getting hotter but also cooling much faster. When it was cooler, I would see my pack take nearly 24 hours or more to cool to ambient on my 2013 and this getting it no higher than 7 TBs but my 2016, I had it up to 10 TBs and it was almost back to ambient less than 10 hours later

Argh. Imagine if some car company TRIED to build a battery-module delivery vehicle to supply piping hot phone-in orders of batteries to eager customers. And they built an insulated carrying bin under the floor of a compact sedan. You'd have angry customers from only half a mile away complaining that the packs were stone cold on delivery, right? But (apparently) just because we'd actually LIKE a hot object to cool off, it won't.

Here's mine, a 2016 SV. Just bought it with less than 5,000 miles. Built in 10/2015.

Not sure what it tells me. Dealer says it had 12 bars when they shipped it, has 11 now. Any possibility that's true? When does it lose the 1st bar?

VAB5 said:
Here's mine, a 2016 SV. Just bought it with less than 5,000 miles. Built in 10/2015.

Not sure what it tells me. Dealer says it had 12 bars when they shipped it, has 11 now. Any possibility that's true? When does it lose the 1st bar?

eieOvbb.png

HOLY CRAP! you still have 12 bars?

oh I see you did lose a bar. Generally first one is worth 15% and when "full" you are at 97% so first one goes "around" 82%

DaveinOlyWA said:
VAB5 said:
No, it's 11 bars now.

edited previous. but prob around 82%

Thanks. How long can I expect before losing the next bar (percentage)?

I got the car with 4,961 miles on it (shipped from AZ to VA), and it wasn't fully charged. I didn't count the capacity bars at the time. I noticed the bar drop the next day after charging to 100%, with 4,983 miles on it. Dealer says it had 12 bars when they shipped it. I'm trying to determine if theirs is a reasonable position, or if it's likely it only had 11 when they had it. Is that possible to determine?

And yes I know I screwed up buying an AZ car, not checking the build date, and not getting a LeafSpy read out. Good thing is that it has the balance of the factory warranty.

VAB5 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
VAB5 said:
No, it's 11 bars now.

edited previous. but prob around 82%

Thanks. How long can I expect before losing the next bar (percentage)?

I got the car with 4,961 miles on it (shipped from AZ to VA), and it wasn't fully charged. I didn't count the capacity bars at the time. I noticed the bar drop the next day after charging to 100%, with 4,983 miles on it. Dealer says it had 12 bars when they shipped it. I'm trying to determine if theirs is a reasonable position, or if it's likely it only had 11 when they had it. Is that possible to determine?

And yes I know I screwed up buying an AZ car, not checking the build date, and not getting a LeafSpy read out. Good thing is that it has the balance of the factory warranty.

well the next several bars represent roughly 6¼% capacity but...

I have to think you have a good chance as any of gaining back the bar possibly although it would be temporary. You have a car that has literally not been used. Coming from AZ, I can only hope it did not sit out in full Sun at near full charge. Are you the 2nd owner? or was this a loaner or something?

Red means active cell balancing is happening. Blue means it isn't. In my experience it would seem that Blue means they are receiving or static and red means they are giving?

**edit**

you see both high and low red/blue so I would keep in mind that the readings displayed may not completely accurately reflex everything that is going on.

For comparison, we leased our 2016 SV in January. It sat on the lot for about 6 months with about 125 miles on it. Today, with 4400 miles it's at 79.7 AHr and 100% SOH. Normally see between 120 and 130 miles on the GOM (non ECO/AC off). It originally had 97% SOH and dipped down to 95 a couple months later, however as the weather became warmer and after a few QC, the SOH is now consistently at 100.

For those folks with lower than expected AHr, I suggest a few QC from a low state of charge to full to see if it helps.

VAB5 said:
What is the graph telling me? What are the red/blue lines?

VAB5 said:
VAB - The lines illustrate a voltage difference with 8mv being the delta. Normally it's a problem when the mv reading is much higher. Looks like your cells are well balanced.

What's alarming is your low SOH at 80%. This represents about a 20% battery range loss which I don't consider normal. I would take it to the dealer and explain you lost about 20% range (w 1 bar loss indicator) and have them check it out.

Phatcat73 said:
VAB5 said:
What is the graph telling me? What are the red/blue lines?

VAB5 said:
VAB - The lines illustrate a voltage difference with 8mv being the delta. Normally it's a problem when the mv reading is much higher. Looks like your cells are well balanced.

What's alarming is your low SOH at 80%. This represents about a 20% battery range loss which I don't consider normal. I would take it to the dealer and explain you lost about 20% range (w 1 bar loss indicator) and have them check it out.

SOH can be used in to help understand range loss but is not a direct (or indirect) measure. You want to look at things like kwh available at full charge or ahr readings

Back