End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katera said:
Wow, what a shame.

Bolt is now available in TX

Model 3 pushing forward

New Nissan Leaf announced in few months and...

They end the buyout incentive???

That is flat out incredible. They are going to get a flood of 15's back, including mine. And we were ready to buy it.

/shrug

ending? I am not seeing that. What I see is incentives not being offered until many are much closer to their lease ends. I didn't get my HUGELY discounted buyout offer until I was under 6 months left.

I am 4 months away and there is no word on incentives anymore. Crickets from Nissan. And last month the incentives dropped in half of what they were. Ah well, perhaps time to look at a used Model S.

I'm GUESSING that when Leaf 2 is available to order, there will be large incentives again. One article even says that Nissan will extend a CPO-like warranty to lessees who buy their Leafs. If so, then I may buy mine just to resell it and turn end of lease costs into a small profit, instead, but only if I can buy it for $5k.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread - it's been chock full of information and very much appreciated.

I wanted to provide some information that I learned this morning after speaking with NMAC regarding the lease on our
2015 SL which is due to be returned on September 1, 2017.

She told us that NMAC is currently offering a 6 month extension, with 3 months free, putting us out to March 1, 2018 for the return.

I asked about the buyout incentives and she said that those are only offered through the dealers now. NMAC stopped doing them at the beginning of the year. She said that those are offered from Nissan USA and they're going through the dealers instead of NMAC.

We're still undecided about what to do. I would like to buy our car, but obviously not for the residual amount listed on the lease. We're in Chicago and the range drop when using either the heater or air is manageable since we had installed our own charger. The convenience of the garage charger has been fantastic. I'd like to keep the car to turn over to our daughter in a few years, especially since it's a great city car.

I thought I would share my current endeavors in purchasing my 2013 LEAF model S in hopes this may help others in our community. So far it has been a frustrating experience. I contacted a few dealers and received drastically different responses. Henderson Nissan of Las Vegas insisted that there was no GPO incentive, I asked the sales person several times and he said that is the word straight from NMAC. Roland from United Nissan Las Vegas offered a $5,697 reduction, plus tax's and fees of $500, he said the dealer is not making any profit on it.

My last quote was from Planet Nissan of Las Vegas and they offered a $6,500 reduction
$12,174.66 + $300 mandatory end of lease inspection + tax $1029.16 (8.25%) =$13,503.82
plus smog (fought to have removed) and title approx $40 + $500 dealer fee for their work in processing the deal =$14,048.82
minus $6500 GPO incentive = $7548.82

bare in mind I had a very high monthly payment of $498, so a $12,174.66 lease residual sounds low but I paid my way there.

I called NMAC this morning and inquired as to whether different dealers are offered different incentives and she said she didn't have that information I asked what their current GPO incentive is and she said NMAC has not given her that information she doesn't have it, she said that you must go through a dealer to make the purchase, ( I already knew that). every question was answered with "I don't have that information" I explained to her that we have a large LEAF community here and we want to make sure that the dealers are not withholding money. I was quoted $500 for paperwork from Planet Nissan and I understand they need to be in business too, I think that is plenty for them. There is no way to verify if that $6,500 is the full amount or not. I was promised a call from her supervisor "Mike" today.

I hope this info is useful.

recmob said:
I am reluctant to post anything about my experience, but I just don't see as if I have much choice. I wish I could say this was all wrapped up in a week. I started discussions on purchasing my lease on 4/17/17. Between 4/17 and 4/26 we had excellent communication, the deal was struck. I arranged financing, signed the paperwork and got it back you. On 5/1 I inquired as to if the dealership received the paperwork, and it was acknowledged they had:

"We did receive your packet. You should be receiving your copies in the mail this week at the earliest, if not next week."

On 5/12, I sent the following message:

"I need you to look into this. Its now the 14th, I have NOT received anything from the dealership (or Nissan for that matter) that says I own the car. Certainly makes me nervous about this, as if I'd worked with a local dealer I would have walked out copies of my paperwork. I have nothing to show that I own it - and I've already received my payment schedule / coupons from the bank on the financing."

And received the following reply:

"I have forwarded your email to several managers to get to the bottom of this. I apologize for any inconvenience."

As of today (6/2/17), I have YET to have heard from anyone at this dealership as to what is going on. No calls, no emails, and no paperwork has been received. My birthday is in less then a week, and I don't have the new registration yet either.

If this is normally how things go, one should be told what to expect up front. Communication is key, and this dealership clearly lacks it! In fact the only communication I received (after submitting through the dealer contact form online), was a call asking if I'd been contacted buy a salesman regarding the vehicle I was interested in purchasing!

If I ran my business in this matter, I would be out of business pretty quickly.

Love the car. 55,000 miles on it, 1 bar lost at 48,000 miles. In Florida, car is kept outside year round. I travel the interstate to work (44 miles) one way, and charge at work. At 2 1/2 yrs into driving it, I still arrive at work with 47% charge left.

brianpmcintosh said:
Happy May!

Even though I'm based out of Greenville, SC, I'll complete everything with you remotely (helped a client in Hawaii). It takes about a week's time to fully complete it all. So, the earlier in the month you contact me, the better. I look forward to hearing from y'all!

Thank you!

Brian McIntosh
Crown Nissan of Greenville
[email protected]
864-281-1608

I worked with Brian and got $6400 off my MY14/3YR through Crown Nissan of Greenville in May. It was all done via Fedex and notary; but when I got all the forms to sign, Brian left the dealership and didn't return any of my calls or texts. I can't in good conscience recommend him, because of the lack of follow-through. Luckily, the finance person, Cindy, walked me through it and I paid via cashier check. I'm currently waiting on the title to arrive, unless they took me for a ride.

I'm right on the cusp of calling for the lease extension. My return date is 7/25 so I know that I need to get the process rolling pretty soon. I'd really rather just buy the thing outright, but it seems like the residual reduction has completely evaporated and the local stealerships are playing around not wanting to give any answers. I was thinking that a 6 month extension would give me that much longer to possibly get a better buyout deal as well as helping me to hold on until my Model 3 is ready (if I decide to go that way). I'm setting a deadline of Monday to decide.

The dealers around here are still playing stupid tricks with the numbers on new units, quoting prices that include the Fed/State rebates without clearly stating so. There's no way a LEAF is worth $15k after $7.5k from, $5k from the state and $10k from the local power company, but that's the "Deal" they're shilling now.

This whole process just drives home my belief that stealerships should go the way of bookstores and (soon to be) gas stations.

AlanSqB said:
I'm right on the cusp of calling for the lease extension. My return date is 7/25 so I know that I need to get the process rolling pretty soon. I'd really rather just buy the thing outright, but it seems like the residual reduction has completely evaporated and the local stealerships are playing around not wanting to give any answers. I was thinking that a 6 month extension would give me that much longer to possibly get a better buyout deal as well as helping me to hold on until my Model 3 is ready (if I decide to go that way). I'm setting a deadline of Monday to decide.

The dealers around here are still playing stupid tricks with the numbers on new units, quoting prices that include the Fed/State rebates without clearly stating so. There's no way a LEAF is worth $15k after $7.5k from, $5k from the state and $10k from the local power company, but that's the "Deal" they're shilling now.

This whole process just drives home my belief that stealerships should go the way of bookstores and (soon to be) gas stations.

Shop around. you DO NOT have to buy from the dealership you leased from. It is apparent that Nissan as a perk has transferred the negotiations to the dealers so they are taking their cut from your discount. I am pretty sure the whole process can be done by phone/email

DaveinOlyWA said:
AlanSqB said:

Shop around. you DO NOT have to buy from the dealership you leased from. It is apparent that Nissan as a perk has transferred the negotiations to the dealers so they are taking their cut from your discount. I am pretty sure the whole process can be done by phone/email

Thanks. I've tried three different dealers in the area here and none will return my messages. Can't be bothered unless you're buying a new car I guess. I guess all the ones on here have dried up as well. It sounds like there just must not be any June deal.

Decided to contact my initial dealer since I've been getting no luck. Besides asking me to come in, one additional thing I found odd was that the guy said I can just go in and they will do the inspection. I said the Nissan emails/NMAC website are adamant about using the service. He said, that's one way or you can just come and they'll inspect. Thoughts?

I'm just really frustrated with this whole process and it seems like either way buyout or turn in, I'm not getting good info. Any info really.

mykalt45 said:
Decided to contact my initial dealer since I've been getting no luck. Besides asking me to come in, one additional thing I found odd was that the guy said I can just go in and they will do the inspection. I said the Nissan emails/NMAC website are adamant about using the service. He said, that's one way or you can just come and they'll inspect. Thoughts?

I'm just really frustrated with this whole process and it seems like either way buyout or turn in, I'm not getting good info. Any info really.

I used the service, and the inspector did a pretty thorough job. All the issues that he found (and he found them all) were priced very fairly. Although I was given the option to remedy the issues by getting the parts myself (even from a salvage yard!), it just didn't seem to be worth my time to nickel and dime it.

First of all, thank you guys for posting all of this info, it helped me a ton.

Second, I experienced the same frustrations trying to buy my 14 Leaf. Went through several dealers and they all acted like I was crazy when I mentioned the incentives.

This is the person who has been helping me and I am so happy with his service I wanted to share his info. Super nice and responsive.

Costa Christou    
Courtesy Nissan of Tampa    
813-870-3333

jkang said:
recmob said:
I am reluctant to post anything about my experience, but I just don't see as if I have much choice. I wish I could say this was all wrapped up in a week. I started discussions on purchasing my lease on 4/17/17. Between 4/17 and 4/26 we had excellent communication, the deal was struck. I arranged financing, signed the paperwork and got it back you. On 5/1 I inquired as to if the dealership received the paperwork, and it was acknowledged they had:

"We did receive your packet. You should be receiving your copies in the mail this week at the earliest, if not next week."

"I need you to look into this. Its now the 14th, I have NOT received anything from the dealership (or Nissan for that matter) that says I own the car. Certainly makes me nervous about this, as if I'd worked with a local dealer I would have walked out copies of my paperwork. I have nothing to show that I own it - and I've already received my payment schedule / coupons from the bank on the financing."

"I have forwarded your email to several managers to get to the bottom of this. I apologize for any inconvenience."

As of today (6/2/17), I have YET to have heard from anyone at this dealership as to what is going on. No calls, no emails, and no paperwork has been received. My birthday is in less then a week, and I don't have the new registration yet either.

If this is normally how things go, one should be told what to expect up front. Communication is key, and this dealership clearly lacks it! In fact the only communication I received (after submitting through the dealer contact form online), was a call asking if I'd been contacted buy a salesman regarding the vehicle I was interested in purchasing!

Love the car. 55,000 miles on it, 1 bar lost at 48,000 miles. In Florida, car is kept outside year round. I travel the interstate to work (44 miles) one way, and charge at work. At 2 1/2 yrs into driving it, I still arrive at work with 47% charge left.

brianpmcintosh said:
Happy May!

Even though I'm based out of Greenville, SC, I'll complete everything with you remotely (helped a client in Hawaii). It takes about a week's time to fully complete it all. So, the earlier in the month you contact me, the better. I look forward to hearing from y'all!

Thank you!

Brian McIntosh
Crown Nissan of Greenville
[email protected]
864-281-1608

I worked with Brian and got $6400 off my MY14/3YR through Crown Nissan of Greenville in May. It was all done via Fedex and notary; but when I got all the forms to sign, Brian left the dealership and didn't return any of my calls or texts. I can't in good conscience recommend him, because of the lack of follow-through. Luckily, the finance person, Cindy, walked me through it and I paid via cashier check. I'm currently waiting on the title to arrive, unless they took me for a ride.

I received $6700 off my 2015 / 3yr. The day before my birthday I received a Fedex envelope which contained the registration. Nothing else. Still haven't heard back from Brian or the dealership. Didn't even bother to let me know they sent a Fedex pkg. I still have no paperwork from the dealership at all. I actually receive more information from the person at the bank handling my financing. Pretty sad! The credit union I'm working with is fantastic in all aspects thus far. If they had branches closer, I'd probably move my business accounts over to them.

Speaking of ClusterFails, it appears the US Postal Service has lost my final set of lease papers. Tracking shows the Certified mail envelope "In Transit" at 1:30pm on Friday, in Texas where NMAC's PO Box address is located, three days after we mailed it. (Delivery time is advertised as two days.) It hasn't updated since then. I suspect they also lost my first set of (non-"Certified Mail") papers in Texas. If NMAC won't accept the one signature sheet they have, plus the PDF of the entire text of the first page I emailed them, I'm likely screwed. I still haven't driven a Bolt, because dealerships stock few of them, and don't seem to be willing to follow through and set up test drives unless you contact them in person or by phone, thus giving them your phone # for life. I just know that I'd especially hate driving a Bolt if I were forced into it...

recmob said:
jkang said:
recmob said:

I received $6700 off my 2015 / 3yr. The day before my birthday I received a Fedex envelope which contained the registration. Nothing else. Still haven't heard back from Brian or the dealership. Didn't even bother to let me know they sent a Fedex pkg. I still have no paperwork from the dealership at all. I actually receive more information from the person at the bank handling my financing. Pretty sad! The credit union I'm working with is fantastic in all aspects thus far. If they had branches closer, I'd probably move my business accounts over to them.

guessing you meant "title" and not "registration" This is good but how much time did you have on your lease? I think that is one of the determining factors on whether you will receive an offer or when?

Back