Tesla Model X

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
edatoakrun said:
DesertSprings said:
Did you also hit a tree afterwords?
No, since (unlike the buck) none of the nearby trees ran into my lane... and I never lost control of the car.

If you read the posts above, you will learn that
1) The driver was injured by the collision with the deer
2) The vehicle struck a tree after the deer (possibly a result of the injury followed by losing control of the car)

As for how this driver got injured and you didn't? Pure speculation, but it could simply be the height of impact with the deer. Deer like to jump. If the deer hit the X in the windshield, it probably was mid-jump. I'm guessing in your case that the deer would have jumped nearly clear over your car, or maybe landed in your lap :shock:
Just guessing here, but one of the reasons for the lack of impact with the windshield on the Fiat is that cars of that era weren't required to have sloping grills and hoods so that any pedestrian wouldn't be driven over, but instead be rolled up onto the hood. Additional damage to the Tesla is most likely just the difference between a car that is designed with crush space, and one that isn't - I have no doubt that my '65 Impala would look a lot less damaged by a deer impact at that speed than a modern car, but as my head would probably be through the windshield and/or my chest impaled on the steering column, if I didn't have a broken neck (it only had lap belts, the seat backs didn't lock and there were no head rests, never mind air bags), it would be small comfort.

In this particular case, Scott thought that the deer might have been hit first by the car in front of him, which might well have caused the deer to roll up and over the roof of that car and onto the hood of scott's car depending on the following distance, although I'd think it far more likely that it was thrown high or jumped. In the '70s I saw a deer hit the car in front of me and roll up onto the hood, but its momentum carried it off to the side and back onto its feet, and adrenaline allowed it to run off the road and into the forest (where it presumably died shortly thereafter).

Then there's just random chance - unlike NHTSA and IIHS tests, real world crashes can have a lot more variables. Personally, I'm in no doubt that any car meeting modern safety standards is far more likely than an older model to leave me unhurt or at least with much less severe injuries (even though it's more likely to be totaled), but that's no guarantee that it will do so in every single case. I've had a deer commit suicide using my car once, in the early '90s, but in that case I just hit the deer's head and neck with the left front corner of my Subaru (it was heading right), which spun it around and slammed its body into my left rear door. The only injury was to my car, about $1,300 worth of body damage, but it was still drivable. The deer died about two minutes later (all its legs were broken, plus whatever internal injuries it had suffered). If it had been straight in front of me instead of offset, who knows what would have happened - its a crapshoot.

A key point when referencing test data to obfuscate marginal vehicle design flaws that could result in serious injuries:

GRA said:
Then there's just random chance - unlike NHTSA and IIHS tests, real world crashes can have a lot more variables.

I came here to post as my life is just starting to settle a little but I see my ears should have been burning. No worries. I happy to be here!!!

Last year I took at trip by myself out to SD for a Tesla car meetup. This year my youngest son went with me. We had a great trip as we hit SD then went up the western side of MT. We hiked and drove to various stunningly beautiful places while on our way to visit friends and family.

We were on our way home and the first full day of driving on June 6th about 9pm another car hit a deer (flew up?) and subsequently came though our windshield hitting me in the left eye area. Apparently I then drove off the road and hit a tree (son stated). This was northeast WY so I was likely doing 70 or 75 mph.

My son exited the passenger door, opened my drivers door, realized I was in a bad situation which he should not move me, and he opened the driver side Falcon Wing Door. There he retrieved his phone from his backpack, called 911, and lead them to us.

My injuries are from the deer and are to my left eye and socket. These are on-going medical problems we are working through.

My son only had some minor scrapes (no stitches). The rest of my body seems 100% with only some scratches.

To say that I am blessed and thankful that the car protected us is a tremendous understatement. Modern cars are built well but I am certainly happy that Tesla takes safety so seriously.

(The car insurance result is still not determined. I'm not driving yet, but we still have two Volts and I will likely be driving our 2011 one while my son goes back to college this fall).

ppDyrPI.jpg

bnytADA.jpg

6hg0bkJ.jpg

DaveinOlyWA said:
WOW! This car probably saved your life and prevented any serious injuries to your Son!
I think so and come to grips with that every time I see these pictures and think about what has transpired since then. My eye is in pretty tough shape but I'm thankful I am home, walking around, communicating with family and friends, and doing other normal things ... vs being in a hospital bed ... or worse!

scottf200 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
WOW! This car probably saved your life and prevented any serious injuries to your Son!
I think so and come to grips with that every time I see these pictures and think about what has transpired since then. My eye is in pretty tough shape but I'm thankful I am home, walking around, communicating with family and friends, and doing other normal things ... vs being in a hospital bed ... or worse!

Yep the reality is you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. If you had hit the Deer first instead of the other car, the windshield damage would probably have been much less severe.

I'm just glad that Scott's injuries weren't a lot more severe, and his son got away essentially unscathed. As to the rest, NHTSA/IIHS tests cover the most common types of crashes, but there's no way to prevent injury in every single type of crash that may occur, unless you were to test every single possible one and somehow manage to design a vehicle that could handle all of them. Doing so would mean there were no cars available for sale, as the number of possible crash situations is infinite, and all cars would be used for crash testing.

I had a similar situation with my Mercedes B Electric Drive. Except for a scratch on my arm I was unhurt. The body shop people were amazed that I was unhurt. Mercedes and it looks like Tesla go to great lengths to make safe cars. Personally I would rather have the car sacrifice for me and give up its life. A car is way less important than the occupants. Totaling a car is OK in my book if it means you walk away unharmed or with minimal injuries.

scottf200 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Extremely happy to hear you are on-the-mend!
Thank you for sharing your experience, as painful as it was.

Via IEVS:
7-Seat Tesla Model X Gets Fold Flat Second-Row Seats
http://insideevs.com/7-seat-tesla-model-x-gets-fold-flat-rear-seats/

. . .The fold-flat-second-row setup was previously offered only on the 5-seat version of the Model X. The 6-seater still doesn’t get second row second that can fold flat.

According to Tesla’s site, the fold-flat-second-row seating is a $3,000 option. . . .
Finally, although that's quite an upcharge for something every other SUV/CUV offers as standard. Now we just have to wait for them to junk the FWD with the 2nd gen (assuming Tesla survives that long), so that people can carry things on the roof if they want/need to, giving the Model X the same utility/versatility that every other SUV/CUV has had from the get-go.

The article is misleading especially about the monopost 'option'. There are not multiple 7 seat options.

1) The base price is 5 seats included. The back area of this is different than the 7 seat option with the 3rd row folded. I know people that waited for this just so they can take their pets and have more space (floor to ceiling).
2) Only 7 seats option is the bench for $3000.
3) Only 6 seat option is monopost for $4500 (and you can choose to get the center console or not — same price)
Easy to verify here: https://www.tesla.com/modelx/design

Tesla reduces the price of Model X, adds more standard options to performance vehicles

Tesla introduced several changes to its online design studio overnight in order to reduce the base price of Model X, its all-electric SUV, and make more options standard on the performance versions of Model S and Model X...

But after a $3,000 price drop today, the Model X 75D now starts at $79,500 with the standard 5-seat configuration or exactly $5,000 more than a Model S with similar options.

Tesla explained the price change in a statement:

“When we launched Model X 75D, it had a low gross margin. As we’ve achieved efficiencies, we are able to lower the price and pass along more value to our customers.”

Tesla had a lot of production difficulties with the Model X and its many “bells and whistles”, like Falcon Wing doors and self-presenting front doors, and it resulted in what Musk referred to as “production hell” during most of 2016.

At a press briefing for the launch of Model 3 last week, Musk said that Model X has now reached production parity with Model S in Fremont, where they are producing about 2,000 vehicles per week.

After hitting the lower-end of their delivery guidance for the first half of the year, Tesla said that they expect higher deliveries in the second half of the year – helped by Model X, which is now on display and test fleets for all of Tesla’s locations and in full production.

The new price drop shouldn’t hurt either on the demand side...
https://electrek.co/2017/08/04/tesla-model-x-price-performance-options/

If the asking prices below are correct, it looks like the price of all(?) the (nearly) new P100D X's in TSLA inventory (67 for sale, including a few CPOs) dropped by $9 k to $10 k overnight, and closer to a $6k price drop for those which already had depreciated significantly.

Good news, unless you already bought one...

https://teslainventory.com/?trim=Model%20X%20P100D

Bjorn Nyland's X stops short and takes a ride on the flatbed of shame.

Car shuts down with 14 km range left. I'm stranded 7 km away from the supercharger...

A guy could tow me. But car would not go in tow mode. Waiting for flatbed now...

Unbalanced cells. Normal speed at 85 % is 30-35 kW. This is why my car stopped at 14 km left yesterday...
https://twitter.com/BjornNyland

I guess there are worse problems than still having > 2 kWh and > 15 miles of range when you see no range left blinking guess-o-meter and get the VLBW, like I have experienced with my 2011 LEAF.

edatoakrun said:

Car shuts down with 14 km range left. I'm stranded 7 km away from the supercharger...

A guy could tow me. But car would not go in tow mode. Waiting for flatbed now...

Unbalanced cells. Normal speed at 85 % is 30-35 kW. This is why my car stopped at 14 km left yesterday...

I guess there are worse problems than still having > 2 kWh and > 15 miles of range when you see no range left blinking guess-o-meter and get the VLBW, like I have experienced with my 2011 LEAF.

guessing that TMS took the last piece of pie... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLKNu-mfkIc

DaveinOlyWA said:
edatoakrun said:

guessing that TMS took the last piece of pie... :)

edatoakrun said:
He just had a Model X breakdown that he posted on Sept 11th while livestreaming: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/100-drive-unit-failure-rate.56055/page-24#post-2305203.

I haven't watched the whole thing but the breakdown is near the beginning. I saw it go on the flatbed of shame near the end. He got a Kia Rio loaner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wanr0LThvkM was posted by him on Sept 11th. It's the same embedded video.

While I don't know the delivery date of Bjorn's Model X, it couldn't have been before Sept 2015. This is well after the mistakenly thought to be "1,000,000 mile drivetrain" :roll: start date (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=498198#p498198). I saw 113888 on the odo, which I presume to be km, so that's about 70K miles. I don't know if his DUs were replaced before then.

scottf200 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Scott, have you given any update on how your eye is doing?

edatoakrun said:

https://twitter.com/BjornNyland...

Only a few days after I got Optimus Prime back, I went on a 1200 km road trip. And unfortunately, the car broke down again...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5pbODw1334

Aside:
keydiver said:
scottf200 said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Scott, have you given any update on how your eye is doing?
Very thoughtful of you to ask. I just had another surgery to replace the floor in my eye orbit. They used the CT Scan to build a custom one to match my floor and fasten it in. This one raised my eye horizontally and moved it forward but more work needs to be done to bring it forward unfortunately. Then a fix to the cataract (traumatic not age related as you would guess). Still unclear on the final outcome as far as how my sight will be. Making steps forward.

Aside2: Wow edatoakrun is a piece of work. 10 of 1000s of happy X owners including Bjorn Nyland who even shows the rare things and clearly pushes his X. Nice X sales in Sept (3rd quarter push obvioiusly).

Back